Alvin Pasaol
    Rey Mark Acuno
    Jason Strait
    Shannon Sven Gagate
    Mark Maloles
    Jose Carlos Cullar
    Jan Gabriel Sobrevega
    Brian Laca

UAAP preview: First step for rebuilding UE is to bring back 'Warrior mentality'
    by LANCE AGCAOILI

Last Season: 7th Place (3-11)

Key Holdovers: Alvin Pasaol, Philip Manalang, Mark Maloles, Jason Varilla, Wilson Bartolome

Newcomers: Jojo Antiporda, Ric Gallardo

Departures: Clark Derige, Mark Olayon, Derrick Pumaren (coach)

Head Coach: Joe Silva (1st season)

UNIVERSITY of the East has brought in a successful coach from a winning program, kept a core led by the prolific Alvin Pasaol. But don't expect too much from the Red Warriors in the coming UAAP season.

The coach said so himself.

Joe Silva has set modest goals in his first year in charge at UE, admitting that a Red Warriors side that has not been to the Final Four in nine seasons is on rebuilding mode after he took over from Derrick Pumaren.

Silva is coming off a championship with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets in the UAAP juniors, but is willing to start rebuilding from the ground up at UE after Pumaren posted a 21-35 record and failed to reach the postseason in four years in charge.

Silva said a resurgence won't happen overnight.

“For this year, expectations are low. Nobody expects us to really contend or compete for a Final Four slot. We just want to take it one game at a time but of course we want to prove that we belong in the UAAP,” Silva said.

“Well, to tell you honestly among all the other teams, kami siguro ‘yung isa sa madaming nawala. But no excuses, we’re going to try to compete, we’re going to try to at least sneak in some wins,” he added.

Silva won two championships and posted a 77-20 record in seven seasons as Blue Eaglets coach, so taking over a struggling program won't be easy. Yet he has no hesitation starting afresh at UE.

“It’s different kasi sanay ako sa winning program, sanay ako na mga players ko okay eh. My main task was to rebuild this program and to build it from the ground up so yun talaga. It’s going be a rebuilding process, a rebuilding team this year.”

Alvin Pasaol scored a record-setting 49 points in one game and earned a Mythical Five spot last season after averaging 20.6 points and 7.1 rebounds. But Silva said the prolific scorer will not be tasked to carry the team this year.

“I told this team that it shouldn’t be an Alvin Pasaol team anymore, it should be the UE Red Warriors,” he said. ”We won’t rely heavily on Pasaol but of course, he’s still our main man. We’ll put him in spots that he’ll be efficient and he’ll try to score but at the end of the day, it’s not about him.”

Silva is confident Philip Manalang, Mark Maloles, Jason Varilla and Wilson Bartolome - players who he said are 'sick and tired of losing' - will come to the fore.

“They’re sick and tired of being called the whipping boys, they’re sick and tired of the fact that when they go to the venue, it’s 1-0 for the opponent. So at least the mentality is there, the attitude is there,” he said.

“It can only do so much but at least we have some motivation, some drive to prove to the other schools, to prove to ourselves, to prove to the UE community that we belong, that we can compete,” he added.

More than the win-loss records, Silva's ultimate goal in his first year is to awaken the 'warrior mentality' in the team.

“Like I always say, when I entered here, gusto ko lang balik yung mentality ng warrior. ‘Yung kahit ano, dehado, sa giyera kahit dalawa lang kayo, tatlo basta — kahit hanggang kamatayan — you’ll offer yourself for your family, for your schools, for your brothers,” Silva said.

“‘Yun ‘yung gusto ko palag lang kami, 40 minutes, the first buzzer to the final buzzer ano lang kami give me a chance to coach in the fourth quarter na dikit then we’ll try to see, the results will follow.”
    Last edited by gensankid; 08-31-2018 at 10:11 PM.

New UE coach Joe Silva may just be the man for the job as the Red Warriors try to rebuild the squad

by: Naveen Ganglani

MANILA, Philippine – When Joe Silva initially walked away from coaching after leading Ateneo’s high school team to the UAAP Season 80 junior’s basketball title, he meant to be gone for good.

“Two weeks after winning the championship with the Blue Eaglets, I submitted my resignation. I really didn’t really consider coaching anymore. I was supposed to start up a new business or start work elsewhere,” he said to Rappler on a sunny afternoon.

His surroundings were different. Gone were the familiar sights of the Blue Eagle Gym in Katipunan, and it's now replaced by a new home in Recto that has the logo of the UE Red Warriors largely painted on one wall.

“But then UE [called] so I really thought about it hard and, well, I guess I really can’t live without basketball, so I decided to take the job.”

That doesn’t mean Silva instantly jumped on the opportunity to be a head coach in the UAAP senior division after spending the last seven years as a head coach in high school. It took a month before the 38-year-old said yes to University of the East, during which he consulted with family and friends.

“I even meditated and prayed, asking God for a sign,” added the man who’s going to be the youngest head coach in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament this season.

Silva also discussed the offer with Blue Eagles head coach Tab Baldwin, who made it a simple decision for him by saying “it’s a no-brainer” as long as the job requirements did not conflict with Silva’s personal beliefs.

“It’s the fact that any coach’s dream is to coach in the higher level. So as a high school coach, I always wanted to be a head coach in the senior’s level. So when UE came calling, it was hard to refuse,” he admitted.

For as much as this is a huge step in Silva’s coaching career, his arrival also brings positivity and hope to a struggling basketball program.

When Derrick Pumaren was hired by the Red Warriors in 2014, the hope was that the former champion coach would lead University of the East back to UAAP prominence. Instead, UE went 21-35 during his tenure and failed to make it to the Final Four in the past four seasons.

In Silva, the Red Warriors are getting a coach who went 77-20 as a head coach in high school, won two championships, and played a hand in developing current Blue Eagle standouts Thirdy Ravena, Mike Nieto, Matt Nieto, Jolo Mendoza, and SJ Belangel.

Adding to that, Silva has spent the past few years learning under the tutelage of Baldwin. Once he got to UE, he didn’t waste any time making the necessary changes to get the program out of its slump.

“Discipline was absent, so to say the least. They weren’t close as a team. Everyone was fighting with each other. In fact there were internal conflicts that I’d rather not talk about, but it was a mess. The first thing I did was, number one, make us be a family – the brotherhood, the camaraderie, the respect for each other,” he said.

The coaching staff had the players go through a 6-7 week program where all they did was related to muscle hypertrophy. Players were also instructed to start watching their diet and attend class to show signs of professionalism.

“In fact I even got their class schedules and the names of their teachers, so I can monitor if they really went to class or not,” Silva said.

Guys started dropping weight, most notably the team’s best player, Alvin Pasaol, who’s down at least 10 pounds. Silva also modernized UE’s style of play by allowing the team’s big men to shoot from outside and for players aside from the point guards to bring the ball down the floor if the opportunity arises.

“The mentality that we should compete, we should start believing in ourselves, we should be proud of who we are. That’s the mentality I wanted to instil with them,” said the head coach.

Former UE great Paul Artadi is part of the team’s coaching staff to help the guards develop their game, while former PBA star Eddie Laure has been recruited as well to help with the frontline players.

Silva knows there won’t be an immediate improvement in the team standings, but for him that’s okay. The goal for the first season is for the team to display improvement, both as individuals and as a unit, and to sneak some wins.

How about in year two of the rebuild?

“Not to be conceited but I think next year, with the pieces we have, we can contend, or at least enter the Final Four,” he said.

It’s not hard to see why he has a lot of confidence. The UE basketball program has received more backing from its patron Bong Tan, and the team is expected to soon have the presence of a foreign student-athlete to help man the paint.

For the first time in a while, the Red Warriors have also been able to travel during the offseason in preparation for the UAAP. In fact, UE came out as champions in a recent tournament they joined in Taiwan.

“In basketball, especially coaching, pressure’s always there,” said Silva. “It’s a privilege to be tasked to bring UE back to its glory days but, of course, the pressure is there to deliver.”

So far, things look good. And if his track record is any indication, Silva is the man for the job.

– Rappler.com

UAAP: UE Red Warriors shock FEU Tams to barge into win column
    by Christian Jacinto

AFTER four lackluster games, the floodgates finally opened for University of the East and it made sure to not let this golden chance pass.

The Red Warriors made every basket count and pounced on every opportunity as they dominated the FEU Tamaraws 90-65 to get their first win in the UAAP Season 81 on Sunday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

There was no stopping the Red Warriors who smelled blood as early as the first half which they carried off until the final two quarters to pull off the biggest upset of the season against the favored Tamaraws.

Alvin Pasaol came off the bench and conspired with Jason Varilla to spark the second quarter surge before guys like Mark Maloles and Phillip Manalang took over in the second half to take the huge win.

+ Reply to Thread