+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

^ Huwag na tayo maglokohan, pushover team naman talaga ang Kia, and they have no desire of ever becoming anything but, not for as long as RSA holds Alvarez by the throat business-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Joescoundrel View Post
    ^ Huwag na tayo maglokohan, pushover team naman talaga ang Kia, and they have no desire of ever becoming anything but, not for as long as RSA holds Alvarez by the throat business-wise.

This would be great if this pushes through.

^ Boss Jumbo...

Phoenix insider admits bid to acquire KIA, but bares negotiations hit a stalemate

PHOENIX, and KIA for that matter, will remain independent PBA teams - for now.

A Phoenix insider admitted there have been negotiations about the acquisition of the KIA brand including the latter's PBA franchise, raising the possibility of the two becoming sister teams.

However, the same insider bared the talks have reached a stalemate.

"It's not true," the source, who requested not to be named, said a day after the Inquirer reported the impending sale of KIA to the Phoenix group. "There were previous talks, pero it's not true."

"Hindi naman sa nag-bog down, nagkaroon lang ng stall, kasi dati pa yan eh," the person close to team owner Dennis Uy added. "It was being pursued before ? pero it hasn't pushed through."

The Inquirer report came on the same day Phoenix dismantled Kia, 125-102 in their Philippine Cup matchup on Wednesday night in Antipolo.

If the sale pushes through, Uy will become the third owner to have multiple teams in the pro league after Ramon S. Ang of San Miguel Corp. (Magnolia, SMB and Ginebra) and Manny V. Pangilinan of the PLDT group (TNT KaTropa, NLEX and Meralco).

Asked if Uy is open to acquire a second franchise that would make him the third owner of multiple teams in the PBA, the source said it depends on how it would benefit Phoenix.

"It depends. If he sees an opportunity, ganun lang naman siya. That's his business philosophy," the source said. "If there's an opportunity, why not? And kung kaya ba eh."

Kiefer Ravena has self to blame for first bad game in PBA

By ABS-CBN Sports on Jan 07, 2018 09:14 PM

After winning the very first PBA Player of the Week for the 2017-2018 season, Kiefer Ravena had for himself an off-game.

The phenomenal rookie only had eight points, seven assists, and one rebound to go along with two turnovers as NLEX bowed down to Phoenix on Sunday.

This, after per game counts of 19 points, 8.5 assists, 4.5 rebounds, and two steals in his first two games as a pro.

Ravena had nothing but praise for the Fuel Masters who shackled him down. "Well, siguro Phoenix had a game plan (for) me and they really executed. You have to give credit to the guards of Phoenix - LA (Revilla), Gelo (Alolino), RJ (Jazul) - because they really set the tone for the whole game," he told reporters.

Along with that, the second overall pick took responsibility for not being prepared enough. "Siguro, it was my fault din that I have to prepare even more in certain situations. I have no excuses," he said.

He then continued, "I shot bad from the field and I didn't help the team enough."

Still, Ravena, just like he has countless times before in his days in Ateneo de Manila, vowed to bounce back. "I tasted two wins and now, a loss in the PBA. The good thing is we will learn from it," he said.

He then continued, "Siyempre, 'di okay matalo, but the beauty of sports is that it allows you to bounce back right away."

"The Phenom" and the Road Warriors try to do just that when they take on defending champion San Miguel.

Ginebra uses #NSD attitude to frustrate Globalport

By Paul Lintag on Jan 07, 2018 08:40 PM

It's that classic "Never Say Die" attitude still.

Brgy. Ginebra recovered just in time to keep its record in the 2018 Philippine Cup intact, taking a 104-97 win at the expense of Globalport Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.

Down by nine entering the fourth, the Gin Kings completed a 16-point turnaround to frustrate the Batang Pier to improve to a clean 2-0.

Despite the win, head coach Tim Cone was in no mood to celebrate after he felt that his team didn't play up to potential against a Globalport squad that was missing star guard Terrence Romeo.

"Well that's what teams coming from championships do. Thsi is the way they do it. They sleepwalk for 3 and a half quarters and try to win a game down the stretch," he said.

"That's what we're trying to avoid," Cone added.

The Gin Kings did exactly that, walking away with the win nonetheless.

LA Tenorio checked in halfway through the fourth and buried two big three-point shots to cut the deficit to two while Japeth Aguilar also made a pair of heads up plays down the stretch to allow Ginebra to pull through.

Aguilar first buried an alley-oop slam to finally give the Gin Kings the lead, 95-93, with 3:22 to go.

Stanley Pringle restored order for the Batang Pier with a booming three-point shot, but Japeth came back with an and-one play as Ginebra took over for good, 98-96.

Aguilar finished with 21 points, nine rebounds, and six blocks while Tenorio fired 17 points on top of seven assists.

Scottie Thompson, meanwhile, flirted wit ha triple-double with nine points, 11 rebounds, and eight assists.

For Global, who dropped to 0-2 for the season, Sean Anthony stepped in as the lead scorer with 29 point and nine rebounds.

Pringle added 23 points, eight boards, and 10 assists in the loss.

The Scores:

GINEBRA 104 - Aguilar 21, Slaughter 18, Tenorio 17, Mariano 11, Cruz 10, Thompson 9, Ferrer 8, Caguioa 7, Taha 3.

GLOBALPORT 97 - Anthony 29, Pringle 23, Nabong 12, Sargent 12, Grey 9, Guinto 7, Arana 5, Taha 0, Elorde 0, Flores 0, Gabayni 0.

Quarters: 19-23, 46-48, 68-77, 104-97.

Magnolia spoils Dandan debut, sends KIA reeling to longest losing skid in a decade

THE real Magnolia showed up in the second half as it added to the misery of Kia with a 124-77 dismantling on Wednesday night to get back on the winning track in the PBA Philippine Cup.

The Hotshots saw the Picanto put up a tough challenge in the first half, before turning it up in the third quarter, where they outscored their hapless opponents, 34-11, to break the game wide open.

Ian Sangalang and Justin Melton provided a huge spark off the bench, while Paul Lee ignited the breakaway in the third canto as the Hotshots coasted to their second win in three games.

The result spoiled the debut of new Kia coach Ricky Dandan as the Picanto reeled to their third straight defeat and 15th overall, the longest losing streak in the league in the last decade.

"This is our first game of the year and I just told my players to start it right," Hotshots coach Chito Victolero said. "We just needed to adjust in the second half especially our defense."

The Hotshots looked like they were merely going through the motions in the first half, which ended with the Picanto taking a two-point lead, thanks to a spirited showing to the delight of Dandan.

But Magnolia buckled down to work after the intermission, tightening up the defensive screws to outscore Kia by 23 points, with their defense translating to offense led by Lee, who scored all his 13 points in the third quarter.

Melton put up his best game early in the season, tallying 23 points, eight assists, six boards, and one steal in 26 minutes off the bench, while Sangalang anchored the middle and finished with 21 points, nine rebounds, two assists, and two steals in 25 minutes.

Jio Jalalon made his season debut after being sidelined with a knee injury the first two games, conspiring with Mark Barroca in leading the way for the Hotshots' suffocating defense.

The 47-point beating matched the Picanto's worst defeat in franchise history after surrendering a 128-81 decision last September 22 against - you guessed it - also the Hotshots.

Three of the four worst defeats of Kia in franchise history have come at hands of the Purefoods franchise, according to chief statistician Fidel Mangonon III.

Jay-R Reyes led the Picanto with 12 points, 12 rebounds, four assists, and one block in 37 minutes in a losing effort.

The scores:

MAGNOLIA 124 - Melton 23, Sangalang 21, Herndon 14, Lee 13, Simon 11, Jalalon 11, Ramos 7, Gamalinda 6, Pingris 6, Barroca 4, Pascual 4, Dela Rosa 2, Brondial 2

KIA 77 - Reyes 12, McCarthy 11, Celda 11, Tubid 11, Corpuz 9, Yee 6, Khobuntin 5, Paniamogan 5, Jamon 3, Caperal 2, Sara 2, Camson 0, Ababou 0, Galanza 0

Quarterscores: 22-22, 49-47, 81-60, 124-77

Dandan admits KIA losses taking toll on him: 'I feel I've been coaching here forever'

IT'S not exactly the most ideal PBA coaching debut.

But Ricky Dandan took the punch like a man and endured this latest in a series of KIA losses.

The new Picanto mentor watched his team disintegrate in the second half and absorb a 124-77 rout at the hands of Magnolia on Wednesday night to mark his coaching debut in the Philippine Cup at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Everything appeared to be going right for the Picanto in the first two quarters when they managed to hold their own against the Hotshots and even lead at the half, 49-47.

Unfortunately, they came undone in the second half, allowing the Hotshots to finally take control and win the game pulling away.

The Picanto have now lost their first outings in the all-Filipino conference, extending their losing streak dating back to last season to 15th overall - the longest in the league in the last decade as per PBA head statistician Fidel Mangonon III.

"I feel that I've been coaching here forever," said Dandan, who took over the coaching post following the resignation of Chris Gavina two days before the New Year.

"It's tiring. I feel very tired," he added. "I tried to encourage our guys to make a comeback, try to use the lineup, but obviously, to no avail."

Dandan himself was trying to find an answer on what exactly happened following that big second-half turnaround, which saw the Picanto score just 28 points.

"I don't know what happened. I can't explain it," said the former University of the Philippines coach. "I have to review the tape, watch the third quarter, and see what exactly happened. From my recollection, we played according to plan in the first two quarters, only to suddenly play differently in the third."

If there's any consolation for the team, Dandan said the Picanto played very well in the first half.

"The first two quarters," he pointed out. "If we can replicate that…we knew that Magnolia is a veteran team, we knew that they will make a move in the third quarter."

"But we were unable to stop their run, so I'm going to see the tape. I want to confirm things, thinking about what happened so we can do better in the next game."

That next game will be four days from now as KIA faces Alaska on Sunday.

"We have to move on, shrug this off, and prepare against Alaska this Sunday," Dandan said.

New year, renewed hope as Alaska nips Meralco to snap out of two-game skid

THE New Year indeed brought new hope for Alaska as it hacked out a 103-98 victory over Meralco to barge into the win column of the PBA Philippine Cup on Wednesday night at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Flashing a renewed spirit that they sustained throughout the game, the Aces held off a resilient Bolts side to snap a two-game losing streak and put their disappointing 2017 behind.

Kevin Racal knocked down two dagger triples before Calvin Abueva put the finishing touches as the Aces withstood a late stand by the Bolts to hand the opponents their second loss in three games.

"It was hard-fought game against a tough team," Aces coach Alex Compton said. "I'm proud of our defensive intensity."

"I really felt like we brought some great defensive energy and teamwork…I don't think we had that last year," he added. "We played hard, but it wasn’t as hard as you saw out there. If we work like that, I'll go to war with them anytime."

Abueva typified the Aces' hard work as usual, pouring in 19 points, nine boards, three assists, and three steals in 23 minutes, while his bruise brother, Vic Manuel, added 19 points, four rebounds, and one assist without a turnover in 24 minutes off the bench.

But it was Racal who spelled the biggest difference offensively as the defensive lynchpin drained back-to-back treys in the face of a late Meralco uprising, the second giving the Aces a 93-86 lead with a little over two minutes to go.

Chris Newsome registered 23 points, six rebounds, and four assists in 33 minutes to lead the Bolts, who tried to overhaul a deficit as many as 14 points, before falling short.

The scores:

ALASKA 103 - Abueva 19, Manuel 19, Banchero 13, Teng 8, Casio 8, Racal 8, J. Pascual 7, Enciso 7, Thoss 5, Potts 4, Exciminiano 3, Cruz 2

MERALCO 98 - Newsome 23, Canaleta 16, Amer 15, Bono 9, Dillinger 8, Hugnatan 8, Baracael 6, Caram 6, Lanete 5, Ballesteros 2, Tolomia 0

Quarterscores: 26-16, 53-39, 78-71, 103-98

Magnolia posts back-to-back wins, beats Ravena-led NLEX

By: Randolph B. Leongson - Reporter / @RLeongsonINQ / 09:03 PM January 14, 2018

Magnolia registered back-to-back wins after a wire-to-wire victory over NLEX, 105-94, in the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Paul Lee unloaded 21 points, three rebounds and four assists to lead the Hotshots to a 3-1 slate.

Rome dela Rosa also contributed in the payoff period, pouring in seven of his 14 markers. He also had four boards and two assists, while Aldrech Ramos and Robbie Herndon both had 11 points each.

Marc Pingris was also a force to be reckon with on the defensive end as he hauled down 15 rebounds to go with his seven markers.

"This is good for us. At least in our first two games in the new year, the mindset of the players have been good," said Magnolia coach Chito Victolero.

Magnolia slowly established control in the game and finally pulled away in the third quarter, staging an 18-3 salvo to grab a 71-48 advantage after a Lee three at the 7:29 mark of the frame.

Not even the heroics of Kiefer Ravena, who tallied a new career-best 31 points along with five assists, four rebounds, and four steals in the game, could avert NLEX’s second straight loss. The second overall rookie pick could only get his side within eight, 87-79, with 9:16 remaining before the Hotshots once again held the Road Warriors at bay.

"It's a total team effort, everybody stepped up on defense. They're No. 1 in offense and we limited them to under 100 points so that's good for us,' said Victolero.

JR Quiñahan racked up 22 markers, 10 rebounds, two assists, and two blocks in the losing effort, while Kevin Alas had seven of his 13 points come in the fourth quarter.

The Scores:

MAGNOLIA 105 - Lee 21, Dela Rosa 14, Herndon 11, Ramos 11, Jalalon 9, Simon 9, Melton 7, Pingris 7, Barroca 5, Sangalang 5, Reavis 4, Gamalinda 2, Brondial 0, Pascual 0.

NLEX 94 - Ravena 31, Quiñahan 22, Alas 13, Miranda 9, Fonacier 8, Mallari 5, Baguio 4, Tiongson 2, Al-Hussaini 0, Gotladera 0, Rios 0.

Quarters: 30-18, 51-43, 85-68, 105-94.

One for the road

San Miguel Beermen turn back TNT KaTropa in Iloilo City

By: Musong R. Castillo - Reporter / @MusongINQ Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:56 AM January 14, 2018

ILOILO - San Miguel Beer was obviously not having the greatest of games Saturday night. But when push came to shove, the Beermen simply had too much more to give.

Closing out with a 12-2 spurt, the Beermen made it look like it was just another day at the office at University of San Agustin Gym here after posting an 88-76 decision of TNT KaTropa in a Petron Saturday Special Game that kept them in the solo PBA Philippine Cup lead.

The final score did not reflect how hard the Beermen struggled, and how coach Leo Austria had to dig deep into his bench earlier before zooming to a third straight victory and dealing the hard-fighting Texters a second defeat in three outings.

Seeking to win this tournament an unprecedented fourth straight season, San Miguel looked very vulnerable until early in the fourth period, when Arwind Santos stepped up on both ends to boost the Beermen.

From 76-74, Santos scored eight of his 15 points points, had a block and a couple of huge rebounds as he almost singlehandedly took the fight out of the Texters.

TNT led by as many as nine late in the third but couldn’t put San Miguel away, even with the three-time defending champion playing second-string guards Brian Heruela and Matt Ganuelas-Rosser and the veteran Billy Mamaril at the middle.

Instead, the trio had a lot of success and managed to take the Beermen to within three points going into the fourth.

June Mar Fajardo scored 20 points, Marcio Lassiter scattered 15 and Cabagnot 11 for San Miguel, which is the only unbeaten team in the field after sister team Barangay Ginebra took a shock loss at the hands of Blackwater Friday night.

Troy Rosario had 15 to lead all TNT shooters as Jason Castro, Asia’s finest point guard earlier this decade, was held to just nine points.

Meanwhile, NLEX and Magnolia collide in the 6:45 p.m. contest at Smart Araneta Coliseum on Sunday for solo second place. Alaska takes the Big Dome floor at 4:30 p.m. against KIA Picanto.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast