twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Shooting for Back-Back UAAP Championships

Share/Bookmark
    ^ Just in case there was ever any doubt who the team to beat REALLY is in UAAP Season 80.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Game 1 is this Saturday. If I were making book I'd probably give Ateneo a plus-4 or 4.5, because seriously, Benoit Mbala can just plain take over and dominate and there won't be a goddam thing anybody can do to stop him.

Sabi nga nung isang tropa ko after the Round 2 game, "Na-mamaw tayo ni Mbala," and he was of course absolutely right.

The Ateneo needs to not play the way it has in its last three games leading up to these Finals, kasi kung ganun ang ilalaro ng Blue Eagles, might as well iabot na lang ang trophy sa Green Archers.

Lasalle for its part can actually take it a little easy and just let Benoit be Benoit. Kasi habang may mga iniisip pang kung ano-anong gawin si Coach Ayo, dun pa nadadale ang team niya.

Seryoso, huwag na tayo maglokohan, let Benoit dominate and the back to back is all but guaranteed.

Try to get fancy and the Ateneo will surely find ways to hang in there, and might even pull the rug out from under the Archers.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

La Salle practices off limits as champs lock in on grudge match against Ateneo

LA Salle is taking no chances and keeping its preparations under wraps as the defending champion turned their attention to Ateneo ahead of the UAAP Season 80 men's basketball finals.

Inquiries regarding practice schedules of La Salle were left unanswered on Thursday, a day after the Blue Eagles beat Far Eastern University in overtime to earn a shot at the Green Archers in the finals.

Players have also been discouraged from granting interviews to mediamen, SPIN.ph has learned.

The Green Archers are determined to rule out any distractions ahead of the best-of-three finals against the Blue Eagles, who are out to avenge a loss to their longtime rivals in the title series last year.

In an interview after La Salle booked a finals seat with a win over Adamson, La Salle coach Aldin Ayo couldn't emphasize enough the value of focus.

"We are focused on a game plan especially on defense because when we were in the first round, there were a lot of distractions. Simple schemes on defense, sometimes we can't execute. We tend to gamble a lot, and we were very undisciplined when we were in the first round," he said.

"But it became different in the second round because they just surrendered to the system and overcome the distractions," said Ayo.

Ayo said it was easier to keep the Green Archers locked in as they got closer to their ultimate goal - a second straight title.

"Wala namang motivation kundi championship eh. 'Yun lang. Wala ng hugot o ano. Championship ang pinag-uusapan dun," said Ayo.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

You have the (back-to-back) MVP, arguably the best player ever in the history of the UAAP, and two out of the Season Mythical 5 are yours as well. Easily three or four of your guys are certain PBA First Round draft picks when their time comes in a couple years.

How do you lose a championship that was, well, yours to lose?

It may be time to fire your coach.

Seriously.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Ben Mbala gracious in defeat; Ayo bares big man has one year left with La Salle

LOSING the title may be one bitter pill to swallow for reigning back-to-back MVP Ben Mbala, but the La Salle star knows that this is all a part of his journey in basketball.

The Cameroonian powerhouse gave all the credit to Ateneo for playing better as a team and sticking to its game plan as charged this loss to experience, not only for him but for the rest of the Green Archers.

"It has to be a learning experience for me. You can't just learn by winning. You can also learn by losing. This is a situation that you have to learn by losing and I take it as a man," Mbala said as he scored 17 points and 14 rebounds in their 88-86 loss to the Blue Eagles.

"I just told them (teammates) congrats. You gave your best. You won't always be a winner. Sometimes you just have to be on the side of the losers, unluckily, we were on the side of the losers," he added.

The 23-year-old big man rued his squad?s meltdown in the fourth quarter where he said they veered away from their game plan, losing their rhythm in the process.

"We didn't get to play our game. We didn't get to our games. We didn't have our rhythm. We just played within the flow and we took a lot of bad shots, turned the ball over when it was the most important."

He however was happy to finally get this heated series over with where he took his own share of criticism and negative comments from opposing fans.

While walking out of the dugout, Mbala was approached by several Ateneo fans asking for photos while also exchanging hugs with some Ateneo players.

For Mbala, that right there was the essence of this game.

"It?s a game after all, just not because it's Ateneo or La Salle you have to hate each other. After the game, we still have our lives and we have to keep going on with our lives."

Mbala still has a year of eligibility left and he said that he will talk to the school about his future plans.

His head coach in Aldin Ayo, however, is confident that Mbala will be back for his final year.

"He still has one year based on the ground rules of the UAAP. Ben still has one more year in the UAAP. He'll be here next year," said Ayo.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

From Tiebreaker Times ...

Aldin Ayo brushes off Tab Baldwin's admiration of his system

Published 3 hours ago on December 4, 2017 By Matthew Li

It took two years for the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles head coach Tab Baldwin to devise schemes and strategies to get past the De La Salle University Green Archers. And after nine tries, the well-traveled tactician was finally able to close out this chapter by outlasting the defending champions in three grueling yet epic games on Sunday evening.

"They never take the pressure off. You know, they're confident in their system - and that comes from Aldin [Ayo],? shared Baldwin, who has 35 years of experience under his belt. "They believe in their players, they believe in their system and they're just not gonna take their foot off your throat for one minute."

"I admire that so much."

After getting a chance to see and experience the holistic system that Ayo has developed last season, the former Gilas Pilipinas head coach shared that their physical training just to keep up with La Salle started as early as January. But even with this preparation, the Blue Eagles needed to dig deep in each of their five meetings this season.

"We had to rise to their level. They set the bar. So I have to congratulate them for that."

"Losing is always tough and I'm happy it's them not us but there's no lack of respect and admiration for who they are and what they did to get here, what they did today," beamed Baldwin.

"They fought back again. We had them down and again they fought back. You know, we had them down ten and then they cut it to I don't know, three or something, two?," he pointed out.

"They're champions, they're still champions. You can't take that away from them. But now, so are we."

Fresh off his first series loss in two years, Ayo shrugged off the kind words that the American-Kiwi mentor said about him and his system, saying it is all part of the build-up for next season.

"He?s playing mind games."

"Ganoon naman palagi eh. Ako naiintindihan ko naman because he's just competing. He's going to say nice things and those things are preparation for next year," the highly-competitive coach said.

"Everything that we say here to all of you, lahat 'yan may purpose, and that purpose is to compete," Ayo added. "Kung titignan mo 'yung motive, he's just competing. On our part, walang problema. We just want to compete."

This, however, stems from how other coaches perceive him, according to the youthful mentor. Aware of what his peers have been saying about him, Ayo feels like he is still undermined despite the accomplishments he has achieved.

"There are other coaches, they are trying to ridicule you, bully you," disclosed Ayo.

"I have one message to them, 'I forgive, I forgive, I forgive' because it's part of the competition naman. Since tapos na rin naman yung season, there?s a difference, basketball lang naman ito."
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Aldin Ayo admits 'unresolved issues' from championship season weighed down La Salle

LA SALLE head coach Aldin Ayo tipped his hat off to Ateneo for being the better team in the UAAP Season 80 Finals while admitting there were sensitive issues that the Green Archers never got to resolve for the duration of the season.

The Green Archers shrugged off a shaky start to the season and got as far as the finals, only to lose to the Blue Eagles in three close games.

"They played better than us. Obviously, they're the better team. I congratulate Ateneo, the players and the coaching staff," said Ayo while accepting the blame for 'unresolved issues' from the Green Archers' run to the championship last season.

"We were not able to handle very well our championship last season. I don't want to expound on that. Medyo maselan eh. We were not able to handle really well our championship. Worried ako how we started our season. Syempre, being the head coach, I'm accountable for everything that happened," he added.

Ayo said he is happy with how his team performed but rued how these issues manifested in the worst possible time - in the finals series against Ateneo.

"Of course, we're going to compete. We're going to play and squeeze everything sa abot ng makakaya namin. I want to compete, gusto namin manalo," Ayo continued.

"May mga sa preparations namin. There were problems na we were not able to resolve pagdating dito sa championship, lumabas."

Basically put in the hotseat for most of the season, Ayo says that he's leaving it all behind now that the UAAP season has ended.

He admitted going on a social media hiatus during the final stretch of the season but he still has a word for his critics: He forgives them and it's not his fault that he's at La Salle.

"Ang daming distractions. Social media, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, lahat. Mumurahin ka or kung ano-ano sasabihin sa 'yo, even my fellow coaches, kalaban mo rito, they're going to ridicule you. Some of the coaches, ibu-bully ka. I have one message to them: I forgive, I forgive, I forgive, because that's part of competition naman," Ayo said.

"Since tapos na naman yung season, it's all different. Basketball lang naman ito eh. 'Yung mga nagtatanim ng sama ng loob because of my job here, it's not my fault. 'Di ko naman kasalanan na kinuha ako ng La Salle. I'm grateful."

Asked about his message to his players after the defeat, the former NCAA and UAAP champion coach's message was pretty simple.

"I told them we pray very hard to win, but we have to pray harder everytime we lose. We just have to be grateful for the opportunity, the experience and make sure that we learn from this."
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4