UE RED WARRIORS SEASON 78

UE Red Warriors

Kaya Natin 'To!

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/uaap/news/...d-uaap-78-4157

alberto ineligible. big loss imo.

Edit:

Jason Varilla takes dan's slot

http://www.rappler.com/sports/univer...ble-ue-uaap-78
    Last edited by ghost09; 08-18-2015 at 07:31 PM.

WARRIORS FIELDING SMALL ROSTER BUT COACH UPBEAT
    By Jerome Lagunzad on August 19, 2015

ALREADY without top guard Roi Sumang and a pair of solid reinforcements, University of the East suffered yet another blow when steady playmaker Dan Alberto was deemed ineligible by the UAAP Board for the league’s 78th season, leaving the Red Warriors with no option but to practically start from scratch.

But coach Derrick Pumaren doesn’t mind, convinced his All-Filipino lineup that features nine rookies, including prized Gen. Santos City recruit Edson Batiller, can pull off big upsets starting on Sept. 5 when they take on host University of the Philippines at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

“This will be the foundation of future Red Warriors teams. We are in some sort of a transition period,” Pumaren said in a phone interview yesterday. “I’m excited to build this team up.”

The 5-foot-10 Alberto, supposedly tasked to fill in the playmaking chores left by Sumang who decided to forego his final year and join this month’s pro league rookie draft, was ruled out by the UAAP Board last Monday, saying he has completed his playing eligibility in the collegiate ranks.

Alberto played for two years with Our Lady of Fatima U in the National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities before transferring to UE.

Pumaren said they considered tapping an African import in Bertrand Awana, who can fill up the void left by hulking Sierra Leone native Charles Mammie who has graduated and lanky Cameroonian Moustapha Arafat who was axed for playing in a pocket tourney without permission from the school.

But the 6-foot-8 Awana, according to Pumaren, had attitude problems.

“Hindi pa nga kilala, nagpapakilala na agad,” he said.

Those developments left the Red Warriors with a relatively young and small crew, bannered by the 5-foot-10 Batiller, a former Holy Trinity College standout, and a pair of high school recruits in Philip Manalang of National U and Chiang Kai Shek’s Fran Yu.

“We will have a small team this season. But I am encouraging my players to turn our weakness into the team’s strength. We just have to fight it out,” said Pumaren, who will enter his second season at the helm since taking over the coaching mantle from Boycie Zamar.

Pumaren said he’s counting on veterans Chris Javier, RR de Leon, Paul Varilla and Emil Palma to lead the way. “We just have to fight it out. As long as the veterans live up to my expectations and the rookies play consistently, I think we can get the job done of making it at least to the Final Four,” he said.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/business-ne...r-coach-upbeat

UAAP Season 78 Primer: UE Red Warriors via Rappler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L87WIFRP93s

UAAP: Size not a disadvantage for UE, says coach
    By Jan Ballesteros, CNN Philippines

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Despite parading an all-Filipino lineup, University of the East (UE) head coach Derrick Pumaren is confident his team is capable of pulling off surprises in the upcoming University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) season.

During the league's press conference on Tuesday (September 1), Pumaren said they feel that they are "a better team contrary to what people think."

He also promised that they will be "playing as a team this time."

And if this is not exciting enough, Pumaren said they still have a lot in store for the basketball fans.

"We'll try to surprise everybody," he said.

How? By reaching the Final Four, the coach added.

"(Goal is) still the Final Four. I'll be lying if I'm not aiming for that," said the veteran mentor, whose team lost top-caliber cagers like Roi Sumang and African reinforcement Charles Mammie.

"We still feel that we're capable of making it to the Final Four despite having an all-Filipino lineup."

For Pumaren, having a small, not to mention rookie-laden roster, is actually an edge in the league dominated by foreign reinforcements.

"I must say we're a smaller team, but it is more of a strength for us. It is not a weakness. That's how we're gonna play this year: use our strength to the fullest," said Pumaren, whose patented full-court pressure has been the hallmark of his coaching career.

And which team can halt his team's surge?

"It will still be the Final Four teams (Ateneo, La Salle, National University, and Far Eastern University)," he said. "Basically because of their experience and intact lineups."

Watch CNN Interview UE Red Warriors

http://cnnphilippines.com/videos/201...-the-UAAP.html
    Last edited by gensankid; 09-02-2015 at 05:30 PM.

UP over UE 62-55

That was a struggle to watch in the first quarter, still the boys fought back -- never backed down till the end. Those Vito 3s killed our momentum, still this is a young team that's going to learn and be better in time.

Negatives:
    FREETHROWS - can't count how many we missed.

Scoring - Paul Varilla and De leon played a bad game especially when they are counted upon to be consistent this season.

Turnovers - expected from a young team but still we need to lessen them.

Positives:

Batiller and Manalang - i am comfortable going forward with these 2 guards. they will only get better with games.

Javier - still makes the occasional lapses but he looks like he wants to end his uaap career on a high note. let's hope he plays better and more consistent.

Javier game is not a force in the shaded area, he is not athletic and slow. Most of the time he settle in taking jumpshot and missed most of the time last saturday. UE RW missed Mammie offense and defense and Roi Sumang leadership. The team are totally clueless in playing smart basketball just like a jump shooting team, we need to attack the basket and convert our free throw.

i

Rookie Bon Batiller shows way as UE Warriors keep titleholder NU Bulldogs winless

September 12, 2015, 06:50 pm

Rookie Bon Batiller shows way as UE Warriors keep titleholder NU Bulldogs winless
    Bon Batiller comes up with a huge game to help the Warriors even their record after an opening-day loss. Dante Peralta

BON Batiller scored 23 points, leading University of the East in a huge third quarter run en route to a 76-71 victory over reigning champion National University on Saturday in the UAAP Season 78 seniors basketball tournament at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The heroics by the rookie out of Holy Trinity College of General Santos City sparked the Red Warriors to their first victory while sending the Bulldogs to their second defeat in as many games.

UE coach Derrick Pumaren celebrated his first-ever win at Mall of Asia Arena since taking over the team last year.

“Ganito pala ang itsura ng press room sa MOA. This is my first win sa MOA,” said Pumaren.

Batiller scored 14 points in the third period after UE trailed, 32-37, at halftime. He wound up with four triples in the contest.

“I challenged the guys at halftime. I tried to push them. It was a great third quarter for us. We were hitting our three point shots. We tightened up our defense. We forced turnovers and we took advantage of it.

“The second half is the real Warriors that I’m looking for,” said Pumaren.

Edgar Charcos had 12 points while Paul Varilla tallied 11 for the Red Warriors, who scored 12 unanswered points to post their biggest lead at 57-43. UE outscored NU, 28-9, in the third.

Gelo Alolino scored 23 points for the Bulldogs, who lost for the second game in a row following their defeat against La Salle on opening weekend.

The scores:

UE (76)—Batiller 23, Charcos 12, Varilla 11, Abanto 9, De Leon 8, Palma 6, Sta. Ana 4, Manalang 3, Derige 0, Gagate 0, Gonzales 0, Yu 0, Penuela 0.

NU (71)—Alolino 23, Javelona 16, Aroga 8, Salim 6, Diputado 5, Javillonar 5, Neypes 4, Abatayo 2, Celda 2, Alejandro 0, Rangel 0, Morido 0.

Quarterscores: 20-16; 32-37; 60-46; 76-71.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @reubensports

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/n...s0ozCc48q6J.99

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast