twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mayweather - Pacquiao 2?

Share/Bookmark

Mayweather - Pacquiao 2?

Muñoz: I tried for finish Barnatt

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 05/17/2015 5:58 PM

Mark Muñoz got the lion's share of applause from the Mall of Asia Arena crowd on Saturday. Photo by Richard Esguerra, ABS-CBN Sports

MANILA, Philippines – Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Muñoz did his best to finish Luke Barnatt in their UFC Fight Night Manila showdown but had to settle for a wide unanimous decision victory as "The Big Slow" proved to be a tough nut to crack.

Muñoz battered Barnatt right from the opening bell, repeatedly taking him down and using ground and pound, while shaking off the knee strikes attempted by the Englishman.

Barnatt not only survived Muñoz's onslaught in the first round, he also got a few good hits of his own in the second, before fading down the stretch in the third.

"I was trying to knock him out," Muñoz stated in the post-fight press conference. "I really did."

"I tried to knock him out, but he can take some shots. He's got a chin on him," he added.

Muñoz said he was happy that Barnatt came to fight. "I didn't want him to lay down," he said.

"He's tough. I didn't want anybody to lay down for me. I wanted to earn it," he added.

Barnatt for his part was gracious in defeat. In an Instagram post, he called Muñoz "a true gentleman" and wished him well on his retirement.

"Good luck helping your son become an All-American," Barnatt also wrote. "He has one hell of a coach!"

Barnatt, however, also acknowledged that the loss to Muñoz is likely to have implications on his UFC career, as it was his third defeat in a row.

"I know that's three in a row," he wrote on Twitter. "But two split decisions, and giving it my all tonight. I'm ready to go again right now. Talk soon, (UFC president) Dana White."
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Mayweather: Don’t blame me

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. said fight fans who felt disappointed on fight night last May 2 should be pointing their fingers at Manny Pacquiao.

Mayweather said he just did what he normally does and what he’s done all his life inside the boxing ring: Find a way to win.

“Please don’t be mad at me. I’m the winner,” Mayweather, just a win away from matching Rocky Marciano’s 49-0 record, told FightHype.com.

At the same time, the 38-year-old Mayweather slammed hopes of a rematch between him and the injured Filipino superstar.

Mayweather said it’s not going to happen. He wished Pacquiao luck with whatever the latter plans to do in the future.

“I done what I had to do, so, you know, Pacquiao, I wish you nothing but the best; keep up the good work,” said Mayweather.

Sportshub ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
    Pacquiao hurt his right shoulder during the period bridging the third and fourth rounds, and said he wasn’t 100 percent the rest of the way.

But Pacquiao, upon his arrival from the United States last Wednesday, said he still gave his best and managed to put up a good fight.

Mayweather called him a “sore loser” and a “coward” for using the injury as an excuse.

Pacquiao said it’s not the case.

“Let’s not fan the fire that he’s saying I’m a coward. Kung sino ang tumakbo siya ang coward (The one who ran is the coward),” said Pacquiao.

Pacquiao said the people will be the judge if he’s a coward or not.

“Ang tao ang mag-judge kung duwag ako o hindi,” he said.

The Filipino fighter, despite hurting his right shoulder in training last April 4, came to fight.

But Mayweather had other plans.

“It’s not my fault that I was able to alleviate anything that he was trying to do. What I did was whatever your best attribute is, I take it away from you, I disarm you, and that’s what I do,” he said.

“We did what we had to do. I was the better man,” Mayweather told FightHype.com.

Pacquiao is home in General Santos City with his family and his constituents.

No, he’s not thinking of a rematch either, not even about boxing.

“Frankly I don’t know if we’d ever fight again,” Pacquiao’s adviser, Mike Koncz, told The STAR.

Pacquiao to Floyd: Who you calling coward?

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 05/20/2015 12:05 AM | Updated as of 05/20/2015 12:20 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s reason for turning down a rematch didn't sit well with Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao.

The undefeated American called Pacquiao "a sore loser and a coward” for blaming his shoulder injury for his defeat. What stung the Filipino superstar was the word “coward.”

“Let’s not fan the fire that he’s saying I’m a coward,” Pacquiao told the Philippine Star’s Abac Cordero. “Kung sino ang tumakbo siya ang coward (The one who ran is the coward).”

The Filipino champion was referring to Mayweather’s hit-and-run tactics that hampered Pacquiao’s line of attacks during their super fight.

The American also clinched Pacquiao especially on his injured right arm whenever the Filipino got too close for comfort.

Pacquiao said fight fans should be the one to judge if he ran all night in that bout.

“Ang tao ang mag-judge kung duwag ako o hindi,” he said.

Meanwhile, boxing promoter Bob Arum said they are not entertaining any talk of a possible rematch between the two fighters.

He said that Pacquiao’s health is their priority for now.

Pacquiao underwent surgery for a torn rotator cuff and is not expected to return to boxing until 2016.

“All I know is on the Pacquiao side with me, it hasn't been discussed,” Arum told Fight Hype when asked about the rematch. “Why discuss it until we know that the guy can fight again?”

“I don't wanna be an alarmist, the doctor's sure that he can and everything but you know it's not a minor operation.”

Floyd’s uncle wants Pacquiao rematch for nephew’s legacy
    By Dino Maragay (philstar.com) | Updated May 19, 2015 - 1:01pm

MANILA, Philippines – As far as Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s uncle and assistant trainer is concerned, the undefeated American has unfinished business with Manny Pacquiao.

And the pound-for-pound king needs to deal with a healthy Pacquiao in a rematch in order to secure his legacy as one of the greatest boxers ever.

Roger Mayweather is all for a rematch between his nephew and Pacquiao, whom Floyd Jr. defeated in boxing’s richest fight ever last May 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“That’s [rematch] what they [Mayweather and Pacquiao] should do. If you’re going to give the fans a hundred percent of your performance, then you need to do that and go in the ring healthy and produce what you would have produced the first time, a good performance. That’s what boxing’s about,” Roger recently told host Jenna J of On The Ropes Boxing Radio.

Floyd Jr.’s unanimous decision victory over Pacquiao has been clouded by the fact that the Filipino icon entered the bout with a shoulder injury he sustained in sparring several weeks earlier.

Pacquiao has undergone successful surgery to treat the torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder and is expected to be out for nine months. He said he’d love to have another crack at Mayweather’s perfect 38-0 record next year.

Sportshub ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

Roger Mayweather, for his part, thinks his nephew should give Pacquiao another chance in order to secure his legacy.

“Floyd’s legacy is going to be good but he needs to close that legacy with Pacquiao. He needs to go back and him and Pacquiao need to do it again. That’s what I think. To close the door in terms of victory, that’s what he needs to do,” the older Mayweather explained.

Roger’s stance might not sit well with his nephew, who earlier declared that the Pacquiao fight won’t defined his legacy. Shortly after beating Pacquiao, Floyd Jr. said he’s open to a rematch with the Filipino after the latter’s shoulder heals.

But he backtracked a few days after, calling Pacquiao a “sore loser" and a “coward” for apparently using the shoulder injury as an excuse for losing.

While he believes his nephew’s legacy is intact, Roger Mayweather insists another win over an injury-free Pacquiao is needed.

“That [another win] would put him [Floyd Jr.] amongst the greatest fighters, but Floyd had a good, long legacy anyways. He will be amongst some of the greatest fighters but he’s got to close the thing with Pacquiao before he ever does that, because that’s one of the known guys that people respect and I think that’s the guy that he’s gonna have to beat or have to show something with,” he added.

As expected, the Mayweather-Pacquiao bout shattered the pay-per-view record, selling 4.4 million PPV units and raking in at least $400 million in revenue. But the fight didn’t live to the hype in terms of action, with some disgruntled fans resorting to filing a class-action suit against Pacquiao seeking damages for failing to disclose his shoulder injury.

This, according to Roger Mayweather, is another reason why both superstars should do it again.

“I think that the people didn’t see the performance they should have seen. Since they didn’t get the performance that they should have seen, I think that Floyd and Pacquiao should do it again and close out what they have in a performance of what the people should have seen. That’s what I think,” he said.

+ Reply to Thread