Share/Bookmark
    Administrator
    Blog Entries

Finally: Mayweather - Pacquiao on May 2, 2015

Mayweather to clash with Pacquiao in mega fight

By Mark Lamport-Stokes, Reuters
    Posted at 02/21/2015 8:23 AM | Updated as of 02/21/2015 12:28 PM

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather (Composite). Photos: REUTERS
    LOS ANGELES - The long awaited mega bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, which has been more than five years in the making, will take place in Las Vegas on May 2, Mayweather announced on Friday.

A duel between the defense-minded Mayweather and the aggressive Pacquiao, the biggest drawcards of their generation, has been savored by boxing fans, if only to decide the mythical title of the world's best pound-for-pound fighter.

"What the world has been waiting for has arrived," American Mayweather, who has a perfect record of 47-0 with 26 knockouts, said on the social networking website Shots. "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 is a done deal.

"I promised the fans we would get this done, and we did. We will make history on May 2nd. Don't miss it! This is the signed contract from both fighters."

Mayweather made a late-night trip to Pacquiao's hotel in Miami last month to discuss the possibility of a fight, and the Filipino southpaw signed the contract for the bout on Thursday.

"I am glad my decision to meet with Manny and discuss making this fight happen helped get the deal done," Mayweather said in a statement. "Giving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus.

"This will be the biggest event in the history of the sport. I am the best ever ... and this fight will be another opportunity to showcase my skills and do what I do best, which is win".

"Manny is going to try to do what 47 before him failed to do, but he won't be successful. He will be number 48."

Pacquiao, who has a 57-5-2 record with 38 knockouts, said in a statement: "I am very happy that Floyd Mayweather and I can give the fans the fight they have wanted for so many years. They have waited long enough and they deserve it.

"It is an honor to be part of this historic event. I dedicate this fight to all the fans who willed this fight to happen and, as always, to bring glory to the Philippines and my fellow Filipinos around the world."

A 60-40 SPLIT

The welterweight showdown in Vegas is projected to be the most lucrative ever in boxing with Mayweather expected to have a 60-40 split advantage on revenues, earning a minimum of $120 million and Pacquiao at least $80 million.

"Everyone involved, including Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, knows this fight simply had to happen," Stephen Espinoza, general manager for Showtime Sports, said in a statement.

"All of us are thrilled to be able to deliver this event to boxing fans around the world."

Pacquiao, 36, lost much of his appeal after successive defeats to American Timothy Bradley and Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012, prompting talk of his possible retirement, though he has since bounced back with three impressive wins.

Five-division world champion Mayweather, who is known for his shrewd business acumen, had been expected to meet Pacquiao in 2010 until negotiations collapsed over the American's demand for random drug testing.

Mayweather has hinted at illegal methods by often questioning how Pacquiao could have won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight classes.

Mayweather announced last September, after he scored a dominant win over Argentine Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas in his most recent bout, that he would retire in late 2015 when his Showtime contract ends, after two more fights.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Fans and Vegas bookmakers abuzz over Mayweather-Pacquiao

Reuters
    Posted at 02/21/2015 9:30 AM | Updated as of 02/21/2015 9:31 AM
    Fight fans rejoiced and social media exploded on Friday at the news that the long-awaited clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao would at last take place in Las Vegas on May 2.

"Can't wait to see" tweeted former boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard, who won titles in five weight divisions.

Former English footballer Gary Lineker, wrote on Twitter: "Now that is a fight!"

Ring Magazine, the so-called Bible of Boxing, said: "Mayweather-Pacquiao is here, kiss the record book goodbye", and film actress and fight fan Rosie Perez tweeted: "Finally! God Bless America, two times!"

Mayweather, 37, will carry a 47-0 record into the bout, while the 36-year-old Pacquiao is 57-5-2.

"What the world has been waiting for has arrived," American Mayweather said in announcing the clash on the social networking website Shots. "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 is a done deal."

The Filipino countered with: "I am very happy that Floyd Mayweather and I can give the fans the fight they have wanted for so many years. They have waited long enough and they deserve it."

Las Vegas was abuzz by the excitement of what promises to be the biggest fight since the days of Ali and Frazier.

Mayweather opened as an almost 3-to-1 favorite in the earliest lines.

The welterweight showdown in Vegas is projected to be the most lucrative ever in boxing with Mayweather expected to haul in a minimum of $120 million in a 60-40 split with Pacquiao, who figures to make at least $80 million.

"Outside of the Super Bowl, this could be the single biggest wagering event we've ever had," Jay Kornegay, Westgate Las Vegas sports book director, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

This year's Super Bowl drew a handle of almost $116 million in Nevada.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Fans and Vegas bookmakers abuzz over Mayweather-Pacquiao

Reuters
    Posted at 02/21/2015 9:30 AM | Updated as of 02/21/2015 9:31 AM
    Fight fans rejoiced and social media exploded on Friday at the news that the long-awaited clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao would at last take place in Las Vegas on May 2.

"Can't wait to see" tweeted former boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard, who won titles in five weight divisions.

Former English footballer Gary Lineker, wrote on Twitter: "Now that is a fight!"

Ring Magazine, the so-called Bible of Boxing, said: "Mayweather-Pacquiao is here, kiss the record book goodbye", and film actress and fight fan Rosie Perez tweeted: "Finally! God Bless America, two times!"

Mayweather, 37, will carry a 47-0 record into the bout, while the 36-year-old Pacquiao is 57-5-2.

"What the world has been waiting for has arrived," American Mayweather said in announcing the clash on the social networking website Shots. "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 is a done deal."

The Filipino countered with: "I am very happy that Floyd Mayweather and I can give the fans the fight they have wanted for so many years. They have waited long enough and they deserve it."

Las Vegas was abuzz by the excitement of what promises to be the biggest fight since the days of Ali and Frazier.

Mayweather opened as an almost 3-to-1 favorite in the earliest lines.

The welterweight showdown in Vegas is projected to be the most lucrative ever in boxing with Mayweather expected to haul in a minimum of $120 million in a 60-40 split with Pacquiao, who figures to make at least $80 million.

"Outside of the Super Bowl, this could be the single biggest wagering event we've ever had," Jay Kornegay, Westgate Las Vegas sports book director, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

This year's Super Bowl drew a handle of almost $116 million in Nevada.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    No rematch clause for Pacquiao-Mayweather fight

by Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBNNews.com
    Posted at 02/21/2015 8:25 PM | Updated as of 02/21/2015 10:44 PM

Pacquiao: Floyd in control of promotions

MANILA, Philippines – Fighting congressman Manny Pacquiao admitted that there is no rematch clause for his upcoming super fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This fact, however, did not seem to bother the eight-division champion while he was being interviewed by ABS-CBN's Dyan Castillejo in General Santos City.

He said what is more important is getting the fight first.

''Walang rematch clause,'' he said. “[Ang] Importante, ito munang fight na ito.''

Pacquiao also assured his fans that he still has enough time to train despite the delayed announcement of the bout. An eight-week training period is enough for a bout even of this magnitude, he said.

The hard-hitting southpaw from General Santos City added getting in perfect condition won’t be a problem.

''Para sa akin, in shape naman tayo, hindi tayo nagpapabaya. so yung 8 linggong training, enough 'yun. Iyung talaga ang ginagawa natin,'' Pacquiao said.

''Before, nag-training ako more than [eight weeks], na-overtrain ako.''

'Floyd in control of everything'

It took more than five years to set the stage for the much anticipated super fight. Pacquiao and Mayweather are the top two boxers of this generation, but various issues such as drug testing, split of revenues and promotional rights had prevented the fight from taking place.

Pacquiao said he had to give in to some of his rival’s demand just to conclude the negotiations.

“Ang promoter dito ay Mayweather Promotions… kontrolado nila ang lahat, which is kasama sa agreement natin para matuloy lang ang fight,” he said.

Among the conditions reportedly consented by Pacquiao were the 60-40 purse split and the drug testing protocol. Mayweather reportedly stands to earn $120 million from the $250 million fight, while Pacquiao gets $80 million.

''Ito ang inaabangan natin ng matagal, five years in the making, finally it happened,'' said Pacquiao. ''There's no reason na hindi tayo maghanda ng mabuti.''

The Filipino sports icon is confident that he will be able to beat the defensive-minded American boxer.

Pacquiao said he will bank on his exceptional speed and years of experience in the boxing ring. Then, there’s also his punching power.

“My advantage siguro ay tiwala ako sa lakas natin and then yung bilis din at experience,” he said.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    No rematch clause for Pacquiao-Mayweather fight

by Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBNNews.com
    Posted at 02/21/2015 8:25 PM | Updated as of 02/21/2015 10:44 PM

Pacquiao: Floyd in control of promotions

MANILA, Philippines – Fighting congressman Manny Pacquiao admitted that there is no rematch clause for his upcoming super fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This fact, however, did not seem to bother the eight-division champion while he was being interviewed by ABS-CBN's Dyan Castillejo in General Santos City.

He said what is more important is getting the fight first.

''Walang rematch clause,'' he said. “[Ang] Importante, ito munang fight na ito.''

Pacquiao also assured his fans that he still has enough time to train despite the delayed announcement of the bout. An eight-week training period is enough for a bout even of this magnitude, he said.

The hard-hitting southpaw from General Santos City added getting in perfect condition won’t be a problem.

''Para sa akin, in shape naman tayo, hindi tayo nagpapabaya. so yung 8 linggong training, enough 'yun. Iyung talaga ang ginagawa natin,'' Pacquiao said.

''Before, nag-training ako more than [eight weeks], na-overtrain ako.''

'Floyd in control of everything'

It took more than five years to set the stage for the much anticipated super fight. Pacquiao and Mayweather are the top two boxers of this generation, but various issues such as drug testing, split of revenues and promotional rights had prevented the fight from taking place.

Pacquiao said he had to give in to some of his rival’s demand just to conclude the negotiations.

“Ang promoter dito ay Mayweather Promotions… kontrolado nila ang lahat, which is kasama sa agreement natin para matuloy lang ang fight,” he said.

Among the conditions reportedly consented by Pacquiao were the 60-40 purse split and the drug testing protocol. Mayweather reportedly stands to earn $120 million from the $250 million fight, while Pacquiao gets $80 million.

''Ito ang inaabangan natin ng matagal, five years in the making, finally it happened,'' said Pacquiao. ''There's no reason na hindi tayo maghanda ng mabuti.''

The Filipino sports icon is confident that he will be able to beat the defensive-minded American boxer.

Pacquiao said he will bank on his exceptional speed and years of experience in the boxing ring. Then, there’s also his punching power.

“My advantage siguro ay tiwala ako sa lakas natin and then yung bilis din at experience,” he said.

Pacquiao sued over nondisclosure of shoulder injury

Associated Press 9:30 AM |

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015

LAS VEGAS—Manny Pacquiao and his handlers have been hit with a lawsuit asking for damages for anyone who paid to watch his fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. because he failed to disclose his shoulder was injured.

The suit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Las Vegas on behalf of two plaintiffs, identified as Staphane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran.

It alleges that the two were defrauded after paying to watch the fight, and seeks class action status on behalf of anyone who bought tickets, pay-per-view or bet on the fight.

The suit comes as Nevada boxing regulators are looking into possible disciplinary action against Pacquiao for failing to disclose the injury suffered in training for the fight.

Pacquiao, who would go on to lose a unanimous decision, is expected to undergo surgery this week for a rotator cuff tear.

In particular, members of the Nevada Athletic Commission want to know why Pacquiao checked “no” when filling out a state form the day before the fight that asked whether he had a shoulder injury.

“Our job is to protect the health and safety of fighters and the integrity of the sport,” commission chairman Francisco Aguilar said. “We expect our fighters to be forthright.”

Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said earlier the injury suffered four weeks before the fight appeared to have sufficiently healed, but Pacquiao’s handlers still unsuccessfully sought to get a pain-killing shot in the shoulder in the dressing room before the fight.

Pacquiao said he reinjured the shoulder in the fourth round when he landed his best punches of the night against Mayweather.

Meanwhile, Mayweather said in a text to ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith that he would welcome a rematch with Pacquiao.

“I will fight him in a year after his surgery,” the text read.

Pacquiao sued over nondisclosure of shoulder injury

Associated Press 9:30 AM |

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015

LAS VEGAS—Manny Pacquiao and his handlers have been hit with a lawsuit asking for damages for anyone who paid to watch his fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. because he failed to disclose his shoulder was injured.

The suit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Las Vegas on behalf of two plaintiffs, identified as Staphane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran.

It alleges that the two were defrauded after paying to watch the fight, and seeks class action status on behalf of anyone who bought tickets, pay-per-view or bet on the fight.

The suit comes as Nevada boxing regulators are looking into possible disciplinary action against Pacquiao for failing to disclose the injury suffered in training for the fight.

Pacquiao, who would go on to lose a unanimous decision, is expected to undergo surgery this week for a rotator cuff tear.

In particular, members of the Nevada Athletic Commission want to know why Pacquiao checked “no” when filling out a state form the day before the fight that asked whether he had a shoulder injury.

“Our job is to protect the health and safety of fighters and the integrity of the sport,” commission chairman Francisco Aguilar said. “We expect our fighters to be forthright.”

Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said earlier the injury suffered four weeks before the fight appeared to have sufficiently healed, but Pacquiao’s handlers still unsuccessfully sought to get a pain-killing shot in the shoulder in the dressing room before the fight.

Pacquiao said he reinjured the shoulder in the fourth round when he landed his best punches of the night against Mayweather.

Meanwhile, Mayweather said in a text to ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith that he would welcome a rematch with Pacquiao.

“I will fight him in a year after his surgery,” the text read.

Pacquiao adviser: I checked wrong box on Manny's health questionnaire

May 5, 2015 3:25pm

Manny Pacquiao's business adviser is claiming the he checked the wrong box on the fighter's health questionnaire amid questions of non-disclosure of a shoulder injury prior to this weekend's fight with Floyd Mayweather.

In an interview with the New York Daily News, Michael Koncz said he was the one who filled up the form that said Pacquiao didn't have any injuries prior to the fight.

"Number one, Manny didn't check the box. I checked it," said Koncz.

A copy of Pacquiao's pre-fight checklist was published by True.Ink. The questionnaire specifically asked "Have you had any injury to your shoulders, elbows, or hands that need evaluation or examination?" to which the answer was ticked "No."

The document was signed by Pacquiao and Koncz, who claimed that he made an error filling up the form.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission said it was looking at Pacquiao's non-disclosure and would be investigating possible sanctions against the fighter. According to True.Ink, perjury is a D-class felony in the state of Nevada, making it punishable by as many as four years in prison.

But Koncz said that he never meant to hide the injury in the questionnaire, noting that the team had sent a list of medications to the commission for Pacquiao's use on fight night.

"It was just an inadvertent mistake. If I was trying to hide anything, would I have listed all the medications on the sheet that he intended to use? We weren't trying to hide anything. I just don't think I read the questionnaire correctly," said Koncz.

Pacquiao's camp is contending that it was surprised that the commission denied him the use of painkiller shots to his shoulder, which hampered him during the fight. Pacquiao, who is set to undergo surgery within the week, said he decided to continue the fight despite the lack of medication because he did not want to let the fans down.

Koncz added that Pacquiao camp had disclosed the fighter's condition to the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which was in charge of testing both fighters.

But USADA CEO Travis Tygart said Pacquiao's camp was to blame for the whole affair.

"If you're a caring person and Manny actually had an injury, while it has nothing to do with anti-doping, his camp let him down by inaccurately filling out the paperwork for the Nevada Commission in violation of its rules," said Tygart.

"He didn't get the medication that he otherwise could have used. You feel sorry that his team let him down the way that they did. His team either committed an egregious mistake, or their gamesmanship by not disclosing something that could give the opponent a tactical advantage — a shoulder injury — came back to bite them." -- JST, GMA News

Pacquiao adviser: I checked wrong box on Manny's health questionnaire

May 5, 2015 3:25pm

Manny Pacquiao's business adviser is claiming the he checked the wrong box on the fighter's health questionnaire amid questions of non-disclosure of a shoulder injury prior to this weekend's fight with Floyd Mayweather.

In an interview with the New York Daily News, Michael Koncz said he was the one who filled up the form that said Pacquiao didn't have any injuries prior to the fight.

"Number one, Manny didn't check the box. I checked it," said Koncz.

A copy of Pacquiao's pre-fight checklist was published by True.Ink. The questionnaire specifically asked "Have you had any injury to your shoulders, elbows, or hands that need evaluation or examination?" to which the answer was ticked "No."

The document was signed by Pacquiao and Koncz, who claimed that he made an error filling up the form.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission said it was looking at Pacquiao's non-disclosure and would be investigating possible sanctions against the fighter. According to True.Ink, perjury is a D-class felony in the state of Nevada, making it punishable by as many as four years in prison.

But Koncz said that he never meant to hide the injury in the questionnaire, noting that the team had sent a list of medications to the commission for Pacquiao's use on fight night.

"It was just an inadvertent mistake. If I was trying to hide anything, would I have listed all the medications on the sheet that he intended to use? We weren't trying to hide anything. I just don't think I read the questionnaire correctly," said Koncz.

Pacquiao's camp is contending that it was surprised that the commission denied him the use of painkiller shots to his shoulder, which hampered him during the fight. Pacquiao, who is set to undergo surgery within the week, said he decided to continue the fight despite the lack of medication because he did not want to let the fans down.

Koncz added that Pacquiao camp had disclosed the fighter's condition to the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which was in charge of testing both fighters.

But USADA CEO Travis Tygart said Pacquiao's camp was to blame for the whole affair.

"If you're a caring person and Manny actually had an injury, while it has nothing to do with anti-doping, his camp let him down by inaccurately filling out the paperwork for the Nevada Commission in violation of its rules," said Tygart.

"He didn't get the medication that he otherwise could have used. You feel sorry that his team let him down the way that they did. His team either committed an egregious mistake, or their gamesmanship by not disclosing something that could give the opponent a tactical advantage — a shoulder injury — came back to bite them." -- JST, GMA News

Tearful Buboy admits: I convinced Manny to fight despite injury

May 6, 2015 3:20pm

An emotional Buboy Fernandez admitted that he was the one who convinced Manny Pacquiao to push through with the fight against Floyd Mayweather despite his shoulder injury.

In an exclusive interview on "News to Go" on Wednesday, Pacquiao's assistant coach and childhood friend said Freddie Roach proposed the idea of delaying the fight to allow the eight-division champion to heal.

"Nung pagbitaw ni coach na sabi niya i-popostpone natin ang laban, one week, two weeks, na-shock ako," Fernandez said.

"Tumingala ako sa langit sabi ko Lord, wag naman," he added. "Di talaga ako pumayag, pumagitna talaga ako."

Fernandez said he thought about the fine that would be imposed and the reaction of Mayweather's camp, a sentiment that Roach understood and changed the trainer's mind.

He said, however, that it was not easy for him after witnessing Pacquiao fighting hurt and with one arm.

"Nung fourth round kasi, 'yung nakuha, biglang umatras e," Fernandez said.

"Nakita ko nung fourth round pag upo niya sabi ko, Manny, may nangyari? Masakit, sabi niya."

Pacquiao won the fourth round after landing a straight left to Mayweather's face, but could not follow it up apparently because of the pain in his shoulder.

"Pumikit ako sabi ko Lord, sana huwag naman," Fernandez said. "Bawat round nagdadasal ako. Sana kahit isang round lang mawala lang 'yung sakit niya."

The Filipino ring icon would then go on to lose the fight via unanimous decision, and could also be facing charges for failing to properly disclose his injury.

With Pacquiao is set to undergo surgery to fix his torn rotator cuff, Fernandez could only pray for his speedy recovery.

"Alam ko naman na malapit ka kay Lord e, hingin natin na sana biglang mawala 'yung naramdaman mo sa balikat mo." -- Marisse Panaligan/JST, GMA News

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast