twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Falcons in Season 77

Share/Bookmark
    Warriors repel winless Falcons

By Aldo Avinante (philstar.com) |

Updated August 24, 2014 - 4:45pm

MANILA, Philippines – University of the East flirted with disaster before finishing strong in warding off a hard-fighting Adamson side, 72-59 victory, in the 77th UAAP men’s basketball tournament at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on Sunday.

Bong Galanza fired a team-high 20 points, including four triples, while Charles Mammie and Ronnie De Leon added 12 points apiece for the Legarda-based squad.

The Warriors improved their win-loss record to 5-5 to take the solo fifth spot in the team standings.

However, UE coach Derrick Pumaren expressed disappointment with his wards’ play, pointing out their lack of energy.

"We still have a shot (at the Final Four) but we cannot play the way we played today. If that's the way we play against the top teams, we can kiss our Final Four hopes goodbye. We have to play a lot better," said Pumaren.

"I don’t think the guys are ready to play today especially in the start. They were taking Adamson lightly. We are fighting for position we cannot take things lightly," he added.

The Falcons were right in the game early in the fourth quarter when Dawn Ochea scored on a putback to cut the deficit, 48-50, at the 9:29 mark of the fourth quarter.

The Warriors responded with an 11-3 run to take the momentum and ultimately control the game.

"We have to work our way up to the Final Four. The mentality we should have is we have to do it right now and forget the record. Our season starts today," said Pumaren.

Don Trollano led the Falcons’ charge with 18 points while Dawn Ochea added 12 markers.

Adamson remains the only winless team in the season with a 0-10 card.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Ateneo gains Final 4 berth

La Salle almost there

By Cedelf P. Tupas |

Philippine Daily Inquirer 1:32 am |

Sunday, September 7th, 2014

A BATTLE-WEARY Ateneo squad drew strength from Kiefer Ravena and Chris Newsome as it repulsed Adamson, 67-52, yesterday to clinch a Final Four berth in the 77th UAAP basketball tournament at Mall of Asia Arena.

Ravena and Newsome joined forces in the Blue Eagles’ torrid windup, combining for nine points as the Eagles cruised to a 10th win in 13 games that formalized their entry in the Final Four after missing out last season.

Later, defending champion La Salle proved steadier down the stretch as it dumped University of Santo Tomas, 67-60, and assured the Archers of at least a playoff for a Final Four berth.

Jeron Teng and Arnold Van Opstal delivered down the stretch, knocking in critical baskets in a nip-and-tuck battle as the Archers notched their ninth win in 12 games.

The loss was the Tigers’ seventh in 12 games this season, putting them in danger of missing out the Final Four for the first time since 2010. A win by National U against University of the Philippines today will shut the Final Four door on the Tigers.

Playing their third game in a week, the Eagles still mustered enough strength to hold off the winless Falcons, who came within 35-41 early in the fourth quarter before finally losing steam as Ateneo staged a 15-0 run to build a 21-point buffer.

“We were playing our third game in seven days and I felt the energy was waning but our defense kicked in the third and early fourth quarter,” said Ateneo coach Bo Perasol.

Ravena tallied 16 points on top of seven rebounds and four assists, while Newsome dished out a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds that went with six assists.

Teng took charge for La Salle with 26 points, including 11 in the final period, while Van Opstal wound up with 11, seven of which coming in the last five minutes. But it was key defensive plays like the steal of Kib Montalbo off a driving Karim Abdul and another crucial miscue from Aljon Mariano with 15 seconds left that doomed the Tigers.

After Van Opstal tied the game at 60-all with a drive with 2:17 remaining, Teng went 5-of-6 from the foul line in the last two minutes.

The scores:

First Game

ATENEO 67—Ravena 16, Newsome 12, Pessumal 8, Capacio 6, Elorde 6, Gotladera 6, Tolentino 6, Asistio 3, Doliguez 2, Porter 2, Apacible 0, Ravena 0.

ADAMSON 52—Trollano 20, Rios 9, Nalos 6, Aquino 4, Monteclaro 4, Ochea 4, Garcia 3, Villanueva 2, Barrera 0, INigo 0, Pedrosa 0, Polican 0.

Quarters: 10-4, 23-16, 41-31, 67-52

Second Game

LA SALLE 67—Teng 26, Van Opstal 11, Montalbo 8, Sargent 7, Torres 7, Perkins 4, Vosotros 4, Bolick 0, Rivero 0, Tratter 0.

UST 60—Dacquioag 19, Lao 14, Abdul 13, Mariano 6, Lo 5, Gayosa 3, Basibas 0, Pe 0, Macasaet 0, Sheriff 0, Subido 0.

Quarters: 16-17, 34-30, 46-47, 67-60
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Warriors tame Tigers, arrange duel vs Bulldogs

By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) |

Updated September 17, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Feeding on the survival instinct that’s been keeping them going for the past three weeks, a determined University of the East nipped University of Santo Tomas, 78-73, to step closer to its goal of making it to the Final Four of UAAP Season 77 men’s basketball tournament at the Smart Araneta Coliseum yesterday.

In danger of getting the exit after winning only four of their first nine games, the Warriors patiently picked up their game and worked their way to five straight triumphs to close out the elims, catch up with National U at fourth with 9-5 and force a playoff.

The Warriors will figure in one more do-or-die on Saturday, also at the Big Dome, in their dispute for the last semis berth with NU.

“We’ve been fighting to stay alive for the past three weeks and we just have to do it again one more time to make it to the Final Four. That’s our immediate goal coming to the season because UE has not made it to the Final Four in the last four years, I think,” said UE coach Derrick Pumaren.

The Warriors pulled off their playoff-clinching win despite benching Charles Mammie for the entire first half. Pumaren said Mammie came in late for the game and was given disciplinary action of a game-long sit-out, if not for the intercession of his teammates.

“Discipline is priority for this team and he can’t do that. If I can bench Roi (Sumang) for disciplinary reasons, I can do that to him, even if we sacrifice losing this game,” said Pumaren.

“But the boys asked me if we can use him and I told them you better pray that we win, if not, that’s the last time he’ll wear the uniform ‘coz he’s going to be out of the team,” he added.

Mammie finished with seven points, five rebounds and three assists in 17 minutes.

“I went to Makati to get my socks, that’s why I was late and I know I’m late,” said Mammie.

The Warriors shifted to high gear in the second half, where Mammie, Dan Alberto, Mark Olayon and Bong Galanza joined forces in giving the host team a 58-45 lead at the 1:30 mark.

The Tigers, who were looking for a graceful exit, launched a fightback and came to within, 65-71, but Paul Varilla took the cudgels and knocked down a jumper and a reverse lay-up to restore a 10-point cushion going to the last 1:59.

In the second game, Adamson avoided a winless season as it got back at first-round tormentor University of the Philippines, 67-63.

Dawn Ochea scored on a layup off transition to give AdU the go-ahead and Axel Inigo iced it with two charities as the Falcons broke through with their first win in 14 games under first-year coach Kenneth Duremdes. The Maroons also ended with 1-13 but took seventh on the strength of their 77-64 win in the first round.

Duremdes was fighting back tears as the buzzer sounded.

“Tears of joy. This is the sweetest victory. We ended the season on a winning note,” he said. “It’s also a good sign for our program and development of players.”
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Bulldogs outlast Warriors, seal semis duel vs Eagles

By Aldo Avinante (philstar.com) |

Updated September 20, 2014 - 7:01pm

MANILA, Philippines – National University narrowly escaped with their lives, hacking out a pulsating 51-49 victory over University of the East to grab the last semifinals seat in the 77th UAAP men's basketball tournament at the Smart Araneta Coliseum Saturday.

NU's Alfred Aroga drilled two pressure-packed free throws with 12.4 seconds left in the game to give the Bulldogs the lead, which would eventually turn out to be the final count.

The charities were the result of a perfect inbound pass by Paolo Javelona to Aroga, who was fouled in an attempt underneath the basket.

"Those free throws from Alfred were really the biggest play of our season. The whole game we were having a hard time getting open in the inbound play. For Alfred to make those free throws was big for us," said NU coach Eric Altamirano.

NU then doubled on spitfire guard Roi Sumang in the next play, forcing him to give up the ball to a wide-open Bong Gallanza, who missed the potential game-winning triple at the buzzer.

"We knew they were going to Sumang. We wanted him to give up the ball so we doubled him right away," said Altamirano.

Glenn Khoubuntin topscored for the Bulldogs with 12 points while Aroga, Jeth Rosario and Gelo Alolino combined for 23 markers to help NU arrange a Final Four showdown with top-seeded Ateneo.

"Don’t give up. Yun lang nasa isip ko. Ayoko matapos yung last year nang ganun lang. Naghirap talaga kami kaya ginawa namin yung best namin para sa mga taong sumosuporta samin," said the graduating Khoubuntin.

Down by seven, 42-49, with less than three minutes left in the game, UE charged back with a 7-0 run – six points coming from Sumang. Chris Javier then split his charities with 37.9 ticks left to tie the count at 49-all.

Altamirano commended the tremendous effort from the Warriors, saying they also deserve to enter the Final Four.

"Unang una, I want to say I have to give it to UE. Kung pwede lang dalawa kami pumasok sa Final Four," he said.

“They really deserve to go in the Final Four. It came down to kung sino yung may gusto manalo and I'm proud of my boys. They showed character tonight," Altamirano added.

Sumang registered 19 points to pace the Warriors, who fell short of their dramatic run that saw them win six of their last seven games to force Sunday’s knockout game.

The Bulldogs will face a dangerous Ateneo side that will enjoy a twice-to-beat semis edge.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2