twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: UAAP Season 77: Unity in Excellence

Share/Bookmark

UAAP Season 77: Unity in Excellence

It’s that time of the year again. College basketball aficionados will once again find their afternoon TV viewing experience more fun and more action packed as the UAAP Season 77 Men’s Basketball Games commence on July 12, 2014 (Saturday) at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

This year's host the University of The East chose "Unity in Excellence" as UAAP Season 77's theme. Indeed, the 8 participating teams unite in one common goal, to become excellent competitors on and off the court.

Speaking of the teams, when you take a look at their respective line-ups/rosters, you will see the level of excellence that they put in building their squads leading to the UAAP Season.

Adamson University (AdU) Falcons lineup

Matthew Aquino
    Alexis Barrera
    John Baytan
    Harold Butron
    Francis Donahue
    Christian Garcia
    John Gumtang
    Alejandrino Inigo
    Ryan Monteclaro
    Joseph Nalos
    Dawn Ochea
    Jessiery Pedrosa
    William Polican
    Jansen Rios
    Don Trollano
    Ivan Villanueva

Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU) Blue Eagles lineup

John Apacible
    Anton Asistio
    Gideon Babilonia
    Gwynne Capacio
    Clint Doliguez
    Nico Elorde
    Ponso Gotladera
    Jay Javelosa
    Isaac Lim
    Chris Newsome
    Von Pessumal
    Kris Porter
    Kiefer Ravena
    Thirdy Ravena
    Paul Siarot
    Arvin Tolentino
    Vince Tolentino

De La Salle University (DLSU) Green Archers lineup

Yutien Andrada
    Rob Bolick
    Kib Montalbo
    Terrence Mustre
    Jason Perkins
    Prince Rivero
    Matt Salem
    Julian Sargent
    Jeron Teng
    Norbert Torres
    Thomas Torres
    Abu Tratter
    Arnold Van Opstal
    Almond Vosotros

Far Eastern University (FEU) Tamaraws lineup

Mark Belo
    Carl Cruz
    Jason David
    Jesson Delfinado
    Vince Denila
    Ron Dennison
    Russel Escoto
    Richard Escoto
    Anthony Hargrove
    Alejandro Inigo
    Joel Lee Yu
    Roger Pogoy
    Francis Tamsi
    Mike Tolomia
    Reeve Ugsang

National University (NU) Bulldogs lineup

JJ Alejandro
    Gelo Alolino
    Alfred Aroga
    Raphael Atangan
    Henri Betayene
    JP Cauilan
    Reden Celda
    Rev Diputado
    Paolo Javelona
    Glenn Khobuntin
    Kyle Neypes
    Tristan Perez
    Troy Rosario
    Mohamad Salim
    Ralph Tansingco
    Dave Yu

University of the East (UE) Red Warriors lineup

Dan Alberto
    Edgar Charcos
    Zyron Cudal
    RR De Leon
    Clark Derige
    Pedrito Galanza
    Daryll Guiang
    Ivan Hernandez
    Chris Javier
    Gino Jumaoas
    Charles Mammie
    Moustapha Arafat
    Mark Olayon
    Emil Palma
    Roi Sumang
    Paul Varilla

University of the Philippines (UP) Maroons lineup

Amani Amar
    Henri Asilum
    Vince Bederi
    Diego Dario
    Carlo Escalambre
    JR Gallarza
    Moriah Gingerich
    Nomer Gonzales
    Paul Harris
    Mark Juruena
    Kyles Lao
    Jarrell Lim
    Dave Moralde
    Martin Pascual
    Mikee Reyes
    Chris Vito

University of the Sto. Tomas (UST) Growling Tigers lineup

Karim Abdul
    Regie Basibas
    Ed Daquioag
    Levi Dela Cruz
    Jeepy Faundo
    Kevin Ferrer
    Alfren Gayosa
    Kent Lao
    Kim Lo
    Jan Macasaet
    Aljon Mariano
    Paulo Pe
    Raymart Sablan
    Sheak Sheriff
    Renz Subido
    Louie Vigil

Big cage week for National U

By Jasmine W. Payo |

Philippine Daily Inquirer 3:12 am |

Tuesday, August 5th, 2014

National University surprisingly dominated both the UAAP men and women’s basketball just a week before the first round of the eliminations wraps up.

The unbeaten Lady Bulldogs rolled to their fifth straight victory after whipping Far Eastern University, 56-40, in women’s action over the weekend at Blue Eagle Gym in Quezon City.

Kristine Abriam fired 16 points and Afril Bernardino posted a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds to power NU.
    Defending champion La Salle joined the Lady Bulldogs on top at 5-0 by downing rival Ateneo, 48-39, behind Cass Santos and Trisha Piatos.

The Bulldogs also claimed the solo top spot with a 5-1 record in the men’s tournament.

Cameroonian center Alfred Aroga, named as the UAAP Press Corps-Accel Quantum Plus/316 Player of the Week, came up with big plays both in the Bulldogs’ 37-point blasting of Adamson, 62-25, and in their heart-stopping escape over University of the East, 57-55.

“I can’t talk like an individual player because everything that matters is the team,” said Aroga, who averaged 11.5 points, 10 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in six games.

Even in juniors volleyball, the Bullpups shared the early lead with the 10-time champion Junior Warriors at 3-0.

The Junior Warriors drubbed La Salle Zobel, 25-12, 25-18, 25-17, and overwhelmed tournament newcomer FEU-Diliman, 25-17, 25-7, 25-13, in the boys’ division.

The Bullpups stretched their perfect run by tripping University of Santo Tomas, 24-26, 25-16, 25-22, 26-24, and University of the Philippines, 25-12, 25-16, 25-19.

In girls’ action, defending champion UST clipped Adamson, 25-20, 25-21, 25-22, for its second straight triumph.

Ateneo tests UST; UAAP suspends UP Maroons coach

By Jasmine W. Payo |

Philippine Daily Inquirer 3:05 am |

Wednesday, August 6th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — The misery continues for the University of the Philippines as the winless squad tries to do without suspended coach Rey Madrid for the rest of the first round in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

UAAP commissioner Andy Jao yesterday slapped Madrid a two-game suspension starting Wednesday for accusing the league referees of point shaving, a type of match fixing linked to gambling.

“He did not offer any proof of his allegations and I have to make him accountable for his actions and words,” said Jao.

The blow came just as the Maroons clash with defending champion La Salle at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Ateneo, which eyes a share of the lead, tangles with University of Santo Tomas in the second game at 4 p.m.

The Maroons, who haven’t won in 26 games since 2012, will also miss Madrid in their final first-round assignment against Adamson on Saturday.

Madrid plans to appeal the suspension, noting that he already apologized for his post-game comments where he alleged the referees were involved in match fixing during the Maroons’ loss to University of Santo Tomas, 57-73, last Saturday

“I think it’s too harsh,” said Madrid. “I already apologized for what I have done and even talked to him (Jao) personally. I just aired my view on what can be improved on the officiating.”

While the Maroons try to adjust without their coach, the Archers may also have to do without their two star centers again.

The Archers shoot for a fourth straight victory with injured big men Arnold Van Opstal (achilles injury) and Norbert Torres (sprained ankle) likely sitting out for the second straight game.

La Salle coach Juno Sauler said Van Opstal and Torres’ status remains “day-to-day” as both have been advised to rest for week.

Although the Archers are heavily favored, Sauler said he’s more focused on improving their game after sub-par performances from Jeron Teng and Jason Perkins in their 67-48 thumping of Adamson.

“It’s not really who we play but what we want to accomplish,” said Sauler.

Ateneo Starts Badminton Title Defense in Style

ATENEO opened its back-to-back men's title bid in style with a 4-1 victory over University of Santo Tomas (UST) yesterday in UAAP Season 77 badminton tournament at the Rizal Memorial Badminton Hall.

Carlo Remo fashioned out a 21-17, 22-20 win over John Paul Yabut in a battle of rookies in the first singles to give the Blue Eagles the head start.

Reigning MVP Patrick Natividad breezed through Lee Sabanal, 21-10, 21-17 in the second singles before Ateneo clinched the tie when the doubles tandem of Justin Natividad and Theo Co outlasted JM Sotea and PJ Pantig, 21-14, 12-21, 21-12.

Patrick Gecosala and Patrick Natividad bowed to Keith Reyes and Patrique Magnaye, 20-22, 14-21, in the second doubles before Justin Natividad wrapped things up the final singles with a 21-9, 20-22, 21-16 decision over Pantig.

In the other ties, Season 75 titlist National University clipped University of the Philippines, 4-1, De La Salle beat Adamson, 4-1, and University of the East stunned Far Eastern University, 3-2. (Theodore P. Jurado)

UAAP commissioner rues 64 fouls called in Ateneo-UE game, but says it was 'excessive for both sides'

August 11, 2014, 04:06 pm

UAAP commissioner Andy Jao says he immediately called the referees' attention to the fouls called on Ateneo and UE on Sunday, which he felt were 'excessive.'

UAAP commissioner Andy Jao said he was not happy with the number of fouls called during the game between Ateneo and University of the East on Sunday, but said he felt the fouls "were excessive for both sides."

Jao said he immediately called the referees' attention to the 64 fouls called in the game, which led to a combined 75 free throw attempts for the Blue Eagles and the Red Warriors, in an overtime game that dragged on for almost three hours.

“I saw that and actually I thought both of them had too many free throws. They (Red Warriors) had 30, the other (Blue Eagles) had 45. That is why the game was so long,” Jao told Spin.ph on Monday.

The Blue Eagles were able to mount a comeback from 21 points down to come away with a 93-91 overtime win over the Red Warriors in a thrilling but dragging game that pushed back the end of the other double-header between La Salle and University of Santo Tomas past 7 p.m.

On Sunday, UE coach Derrick Pumaren lamented after the game the 45 free throws awarded to Ateneo — including 25 given to Blue Eagles star Kiefer Ravena which were just five less than the free throws of the entire Red Warriors combined. [See Pumaren left to rue 45 free throws awarded to Ateneo - and 25 for Ravena]

But for Jao, the total free throws were too much, not just for Ateneo but for UE as well. “For me, it’s excessive for both sides,” said Jao. Jao, however, said the number of fouls wasn’t due to the way the game was called by the officials alone, but also due to the way UE and Ateneo played.

“UE has a tendency to commit fouls because they press almost all the way. They have a tendency to get into penalty quickly." On the other hand, Jao said "Ateneo had to defend (Charles) Mammie.”

Jao said he understands Pumaren's frustration after the game. “I have a lot of respect for coach Derrick," said the longtime television analyst and basketball official. "He isn’t the kind of person that will make an excuse about officiating.”

^^^ Good thing Andy Jao is a student of the game and understands inherently how this many fouls got whistled. He should just watch the video and see if the fouls were legit fouls, and if they consistently called on both ends. If those were mostly legit fouls, and they were mostly consistent, then that is that. It made for ugly basketball but what else is there to be done? If it is a legit foul then the only thing to be done is to whistle the damn foul. If it turned out to be 64 fouls then that's just how it is.

But still Ateneo almost always has the advantage in foul calls.

Makes people wonder. Most are hello kitty fouls even.
    Everything's Eventual

^It's because Ateneo barely commits ticky tacky fouls. It's more of just being disciplined and exercising restraint in defense. Using your feet rather than your hands.

Take yesterday's game for example. Sumang whacks Newsome as he drives even if he didn't have to as Mammie was already there. De Leon goes for an awkward gamble and ends up hitting Newsome in the arm. Newsome leaves Guiang behind, Guiang then elbows/pushes his back. Mammie extends his shoulder and levels Newsome, while giving a screen. A lot of those fouls are just stupid. Kung naglalaro ka na laro-laro lang na may pustang ice tubig at walang referee, oo pwede yung mga yun. Pero in an official game, with 3 referees, there is no sense doing those things. Ilang fouls na yung nalista ko? At ilang freethrows na nagresult from there? That's just off the top of my head. Ang dami pa nilang bonehead plays. Then they have the audacity to complain about the freethrows he shot.

It has a lot to do with the Pumaren system that is founded on that antiquated 2-2-1 full court press.

Hanggang ngayon andami nilang holding and grabbing and bumping sa denial pa lang ng inbound, at pagka-inbound 'yung trapping man nila kapit ng kapit sa binabantayan niya, 'yung taga-quick help ganun din, minsan babanggain pa, mahuli ka ng referee ano pa ba gagawin nung tao kundi ipito ka for a foul?

Ang inangal ni Roi sa akin bakit daw siya iilan lang ang freethrow nung nabigyan ng 25 FTs si Kiefer, samantalang mas nagda-drive naman daw siya kesa kay Kiefer. Problema sa drive ni Roi bumabali and/or bumobomba pa siya, madali't sabi pinapakita niya sa refs na umiiwas talaga siya sa contact. Si Kiefer hangga't mapapasabit pinapasabit niya, kesehodang tumawag or hindi.

Iba pa din 'yung kay Jeron versus Ateneo, at 'yung kay Newsome versus UE Round 2. In both cases reward the aggressive drive ang mga nakita ko sa referees. Kapag nagda-drive kasi itong dalawa talagang sagasa na kung sagasa, go hard talaga, palibhasa parehong malalakas ang pangangatawan, that is why although they do draw fouls, sometimes they also get called for charging. Si New in both Ateneo-Lasalle games foul trouble because of those charging fouls.

Bottom line ang may kasalanan ng freethrow disparity ang mga Pumaren pa din. They are making their boys play a system that, after nine games already, has proven to be hazardous to their team foul situation, yet they continue to do it. Ayaw pa nilang turuan si Roi na mag-go hard imbes bumali at bumomba sa drives niya. Best perimeter ang Ateneo with Kiefer, Von, New, may Elorde pa na marunong magdala ng bola, pati na din si Arvin, marunong din bumaba sa gitna si Ponso sa press break. Only a fool would insist on pressing this kind of an opponent.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

NU starflyer hospitalized after bad fall

(The Philippine Star) |

Updated September 8, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - After suffering from a bad fall while attempting a complex routine during practice last month, NU Bulldogs Pep Squad starflyer Claire Cristobal is back in her usual grind.

The 18-year-old Atlag, Malolos, Bulacan pride, who wowed the crowd in the UAAP cheerdance championships last year for her complex and amazing flexibility, is out to defend the group stunts crown in the Bulldogs’ bid to sweep anew the two titles at stake.

“We were practicing at the back of the Araneta Coliseum and we were doing the dual stunts when I fell to the pavement,” recalled Cristobal, one of the most popular performers of the SM group of companies-backed NU team.

I had a little cut but the CT scan showed no damage, although the back of my head was profusely bleeding from the injury,” said Cristobal, who was immediately given treatment at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center.

Cristobal admitted that the experience was so traumatic it oftentimes affected her performance in practice.

“I’m a bit wary now because of the fear I might suffer the same injury,” she said.

“There are times when I’m afraid to do the routines because I might commit the same mistake. But I just tell myself ‘The Lord will take care of me,” said the third year BS Accounting student.

“I will try to defend the crown for NU. I promise more flexibility,” she said while vowing to come up with a more impressive routine that could rival her famous “exorcism” routine.

Cristobal will once again lead NU’s five-man group stunts, a side event of the coming UAAP season 77 cheerdance championships, set Sept. 14 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“I am expecting a tough challenge from our rivals. But that’s okay. At least I am proud to give my best on the things I want to show,” she said.

“It’s a good chance for me to push myself beyond the limits and persevere, fight off the psychological trauma from my experience,” added Cristobal, who will be joined in the group stunts by Nerisa Pangan, Reinato Ruiz, Jeffrey Reyes and Oliver Porlaez.

NU team manager Patricia Chunsim is optimistic that NU can successfully defend the titles they won convincingly last year.

“It’s a challenge for us not just to defend the team title, but also the group stunts. And I am sure our team is ready to respond to that,” said Chunsim.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast