twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Letranites in the Pros

Share/Bookmark

Letranites in the Pros

I'm starting a new thread to chronicle Letranites' (ex-Knights, ex-Squires) performances in the professional leagues.

Re the game Ginebra vs. Alaska game last night, RJ Jazul did quite well with 14 points for Alaska. Unfortunately, the Aces lost to Ginebra. Bryan Faundo saw some minutes for Ginebra in that blow-out game. Faundo was lucky to even get minutes here, as he usually plays behind Slaughter, Aguilar, and ex-Squire Jay-R Reyes. Nonetheless, "arriba" to you, Faundo!

Kings overpower Aces, nail third semis slot
    Birthday boy Japeth fires 29 points to lead Ginebra

By Musong R. Castillo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    12:33 am | Sunday, January 26th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — Rediscovering its dominating form in a do-or-die game, Barangay Ginebra claimed a seat in the PLDT MyDSL Philippine Cup’s Final Four Saturday night with the same ease that the Gin Kings flashed in topping the elimination round.

The Gin Kings nailed all sorts of shots and pounced on Alaska’s cold-shooting to rout the Aces, 108-95, in their KO match to chalk up their most impressive win of the season at a packed Cuneta Astrodome.

And that meant a best-of-seven semifinal clash with either Talk ‘N Text or San Mig Coffee, squads with rich championship histories that will collide in their own version of the decider Sunday at 5 p.m. also at the Pasay venue.

Intense

“We played with such a high level of intensity,” an ecstatic Ginebra coach Ato Agustin told reporters. “The energy was also there.

Ginebra is used to playing in situations like this (knockout) even when I was still playing.
    “And of course, with the help of the fans, it was like our home court out there.”

Japeth Aguilar celebrated his 27th birthday with a career-high 29 points and 13 rebounds and LA Tenorio finished with 22 points, seven assists and the same number of rebounds as the Kings dominated every aspect of the match.

Strong start

Ginebra blasted out of the gates hard and never looked back, zooming to commanding leads early and moving ahead by as many as 31 points in the third quarter that proved too much for the game Aces.

To its credit, Alaska—even with things falling terribly out of its way—also played with the heart of a champion, never giving up until the final buzzer despite being booed by a capacity crowd on every possession.

Alaska trailed, 76-45, early in the third period, but that didn’t stop the Aces from cutting that down to 13 late in regulation.

Fire in their eyes

“Yesterday during practice, I saw the fire in the eyes of my players,” Agustin said. “And I told them that if we come out the same way for this game, we were going to win. And the players came out with more (fire).”

JV Casio and Gabby Espinas worked themselves ragged to shoot 16 points each and pace the Aces, who joined Air21, Barako Bull, Meralco and Globalport in an early vacation.
    Season high

There were four more who scored at least 11 points for Ginebra, whose 69 first half points were the most by any team in a half this season.

Ginebra was so in-form that it scored a combined 62 points off second chance points, turnovers and fastbreaks—and Alaska didn’t even reach 62 points until the end of the third period.

“That’s a lot,” said Agustin. “We can play this way again in our future games. And we don’t care who we play (in the semifinals). We will be ready for either Talk ‘N Text or San Mig.”
    The scores:

BRGY. GINEBRA 108—Aguilar 29, Tenorio 22, Ellis 16, Baracael 12, Caguioa 12, Slaughter 11, Helterbrand 5, Mamaril 1, Reyes 0, Monfort 0, Urbiztondo 0, Faundo 0.

ALASKA 95—Casio 16, Espinas 16, Jazul 14, Abueva 13, Thoss 13, Baguio 13, Hontiveros 6, Avenido 4, Dela Cruz 0, Eman 0.
    Quarters: 39-21, 69-43, 86-62, 108-95
    Last edited by bugleboy; 01-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Currently, I think we have 7-8 active pros...I included Kerby Raymundo in the list as I don't consider him retired yet. He'll be back again Im sure.

Bryan Faundo and Belencion are the former Knights surprisingly playing some minutes. Hindi kasi sila main men noon time nila unlike Rjazul, ReyGuevarra and Aban who were the stars of their respective eras. Is Big Mac still playing?

In the next 2-3 years, others may join the group of Pro-Knights specifically Kevin Alas. Kevin Racal is a likely candidate. Mark Cruz?...kung si Johnny Abbarientos na maliit din kayang mag mvp, may pagasa itong si Micro Mark.

Pag pumasok ang Ginebra sa finals, maririnig sana naten yung barker shouting...at forward Bryan FauuUNDOOOOO!

^Jaypee Belencion has had a good run this conference, coming from being a rarely-used reliever to one of the vital cogs now in Globalport, as can be seen in this article: http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball...globalport-v02

Aaron Aban's TNT was bundled out yesterday by San Mig, with Aban coming up with a rather paltry performance. Nonetheless, at least Aban has usually provided spark from the bench. That's why he's still there at TNT.

Mark Andaya has had an up-and-down career. Right now, I don't think he is in any PBA team. Last I heard, he has just been playing pickup games in several "ligang labas". Oh, and he appeared as a villain in the movie, On The Job (with Joel Torre and Gerald Anderson).

Re the next pro-bound Knights -- Kevin Alas comes quickly to mind. He has been doing great for NLEX in the D-League, ditto for Racal. I agree with you regarding Mark Cruz. I think Micro Mark has sufficiently shown that he can play with the big boys, and that being vertically challenged is no impediment. I also hope that Gabawan, Tambeling, Nambatac and Ruaya develop sufficiently in the next years so that they may also get their shot at a pro career.

re: K.Alas, since he opted not to join the Pba draft this year, then technically he is still eligibile to play next season!?? medyo maintriga etong naiisip ko pero kung pwede siya makabalik...Why not!

Si Jam Cortes mukhang hindi matunog after his stint w the Knights...I don't see his name listed in any of the teams at DLeague or any other ligang labas. si Junjun?..nasa bahay na lang lol.
    Last edited by ESCALERA JR.; 01-27-2014 at 08:28 AM.

I heard that Kevin "joked" that since his eligibility has not yet run out, he may join the Knights again.

Who knows if that'll materialize...but with shooters like Ruaya, Racal, Tambeling, etc. getting more experience, is Kevin still needed? My answer is definitely YES! My wish for him is to leave the team as an NCAA CHAMPION!

Kevin is still eligible since he's still enrolled in his IT course and he is just 22 (I think). Should he decide to come back, I'm sure Coach Caloy will be able to find a spot for him on the team.

Re Jam Cortes, he used to play in the D-League. But I don't seem to recall if he is playing this year.

Re other Letranites in the pros -- Raymond Almazan scored 7 points in last night's ROS game versus Petron. Sana magtuloy-tuloy na!
    Last edited by bugleboy; 01-31-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Arriba Almazan!

Rain or Shine rallies past Petron for 2-0 semis lead
    By Mark Giongco
    INQUIRER.net
    10:20 pm | Wednesday, January 29th, 2014

MANILA, Philippines— Rain or Shine rallied from 16 points down to stun Petron Blaze, 103-94, and go up 2-0 in their 2014 PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven semifinals series Wednesday night at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Sharpshooting guard Jeff Chan tallied 20 points while rookie Raymond Almazan made his presence felt in the fourth quarter, where the Elasto Painters outscored the Boosters, 36-16.

“We just carved out a hard win today,” said ROS head coach Yeng Guiao. “For a while, I thought it was a lost game but the guys did not give up. It’s a testament to the guys’ desire to win, determination to win and a testament to their mental toughness.”

Chan and Almazan alone outscored Petron Blaze, 19-16, in the final frame with the lanky center, known more for his defense had 10 points in just the last quarter.

“Raymond played like a veteran. Raymond made the big shots, made the big rebounds and the big stops, he looked like he was 250 pounds and he did it when it counted in the semifinals. That’s the championship experience from his Letran days,” Guiao said.

The Boosters, who couldn’t hold on to a 16-point lead they built early in the second quarter and an 85-72 advantage early in the fourth quarter, missed their last seven attempts from the field after the Painters moved ahead, 92-91, with 4:33 left on a Beau Belga drive.

A three-point play by the six-foot-seven Almazan sealed the game, 100-94, with 28.7 ticks left while his breakaway one-handed dunk in the waning seconds punctuated Rain or Shine’s impressive come-back win.
    Game 3 is on Saturday still at MOA Arena with ROS looking for a commanding 3-0 advantage.

“2-0 is a good place to be at this point but we cannot celebrate. We still need to win two more. They did a good job stopping the breaks, did a good job slowing down the game- a lot slower than the first game we played against them. So we just prepare on Saturday.”
    June Mar Fajardo led the Boosters with 20 points while guard Alex Cabagnot bounced back from a sub-par Game 1 outing with 17 points and three steals. Swingman Chris Lutz struggled anew with measly seven points.

Faundo scored 4 points in Ginebra's rout of San Mig to even up the best-of-seven semis series at 1 win each. Despite playing less than three minutes, Faundo had two strong offensive rebounds and put-backs to help the Gin Kings take all the fight and caffeine out from the Coffee Makers. Jay-R Reyes also played well as reliever of Greg Slaughter, scoring 8 points plus a ton of rebounds. Arriba! GI-NE-BRA!
    Last edited by bugleboy; 01-31-2014 at 11:19 PM.

It seems that Raymond Almazan is becoming more consistent in his performance with ROS. Today he scored 10 points to backstop the Extra Rice duo of Belga and Quinahan. Too bad ROS lost to Petron, though.

Nice to see our guys doing well in the pros. 'Sr citizens' Miller and Raymundo still have a lot of gas in their tanks and can mix it up with the young turks. If Kerby comes out oh his injury nicely, he can teach cuz Raymond a lesson or 2 but with the way Almazan plays early in his career, pwede malampasan pa siya.

Belencion was picked among 5 young guns to form the core of another ballclub. The training coach ALas has instilled in his players, dala dala ng mga batang ito. Kahit si Ronjay whose pba career failed to lift off is showing signs of a good coach and motivator to the new breed of Knights. Malamang sundan niya ang mga yapak ng kanyang coach/mentor. Aban is not scoring much but a workhorse on the defensive side. RJ is a very dependaple pg and can explode given a chance. Si ReyG, pwede siguro mag side line sa showbiz w contrabida MacAndya. Former Squires Intal and JR Reyes give significant contributions to their teams as well. Really nice to read the names of these former Knights every now and then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast