twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 61 to 64 of 64

Thread: The Sabah Claim

Share/Bookmark
  1. #61
    Sultan’s army gets reinforcements in Sabah

    By Perseus Echeminada, Helen Flores

    (The Philippine Star) | Updated April 1, 2013 - 12:00am

    MANILA, Philippines - Some 100 heavily armed men have joined the followers of Agbimuddin Kiram in Sabah to continue fighting Malaysian forces in Lahad Datu, sultanate spokesman Abraham Idjirani said yesterday.

    Idjirani said Agbimuddin, brother of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III called him up to report that some heavily armed civilians have joined the fighting in Sabah.

    Idjirani said the civilians managed to slip through the sea blockade of the Malaysian and Philippine navy forces in going to Sabah.

    “(Agbimuddin) called me about the arrival of civilians with arms who have joined the royal security forces,” Idjirani said.

    It was not known where the armed civilians came from but sources said some are Tausugs from various parts of Mindanao who arrived in small groups to avoid the Malaysian and Philippine naval blockade at the Sulu Sea.

    Heavy fighting was reported in Lahad Datu yesterday where Malaysian troops are conducting mopping-up operations to flush out the remaining members of Kiram’s forces.

    Idjirani also reported that relatives of Kiram who are long-time residents of Sabah went into hiding after Malaysian police began its crackdown on suspected supporters of the sultan’s army.

    “The relatives of sultan are now living in fear and have gone into hiding,” he said.

    DFA visits 8 accused of terrorism

    Last Thursday, Philippine embassy officials in Kuala Lumpur were allowed to visit eight men facing charges for terrorism-related violence for their involvement in the Sabah incident.

    Philippine Ambassador to Kuala Lumpur Eduardo Malaya, in a statement, identified the eight as Atik Hussin Bin Abu Bakar, Basad H. Manuel, Habil Bin Suhali, Holland Bin Kalbi, Thimhar Hadil Sultan, Lin Bin Mad Salleh, Kadir Bin Uyung and Lating Bin Tiong.

    Malaya did not say if the eight, detained at the prison facility in Tawau, are Filipinos. The Sulu sultanate had earlier said the eight are Malaysians.

    He said it is the “standing policy” of the government “to provide appropriate consular assistance to nationals in distress, whether or not we agree with their acts or advocacies... We would like to ensure that their rights as accused are respected and that they have legal representation when court sessions resume on April 12 as promised by Malaysia authorities.”

    Malaya said the embassy team, led by First Secretary and Consul Antonina Mendoza-Oblena and director Renato Villa, talked to the eight and asked them about their prison conditions. The team also asked the accused about their places of origin and respective families.

    The eight were the first to face charges since about 200 followers of the Sulu sultan assembled at the coastal town of Lahad Datu last month to press ownership over Sabah.

    The embassy said it may be difficult to extend consular assistance to the sultan’s brother Agbimuddin. Malaysian Defense Minister Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi said Agbimuddin is a Malaysian citizen who worked as a civil servant in Sabah.

  2. #62
    The lies that bind us

    By Noralyn Mustafa

    Philippine Daily Inquirer

    8:32 pm | Sunday, March 31st, 2013

    At the height of the running gunbattle between the Malaysian forces and the so-called “Royal Army” (which in a few days became the “Royal Security Forces,” but which Malaysia labeled simply as “the intruders”), there was one, among the dispatches we received from our ground sources, that I thought struck at the very core of the senselessness of it all. “Both sides are lying, their statements in their press conferences are mostly lies,” the messenger sounded quite exasperated. He was referring to Jamalul Kiram III and his spokespersons, and to the Malaysian officials.

    And now even the Inquirer, which is the country’s No. 1 broadsheet mainly because of its credibility, has been condemned by Malaysia as a “liar,” at the same time casting doubt on the rest of “Philippine media” as equally irresponsible. This appears to be part of the propaganda thrust of “Operation Daulat,” the code name of the massive ground and air offensive against Agbimuddin Kiram, younger brother of Jamalul, and the over 200 mostly armed men who landed in Sabah last February, ostensibly to settle in what they claimed was land that belonged to them, the Kiram royal family.

    That story has been torn to shreds many times over and, if there was anyone who believed it, it was only the Philippine media who, in good faith, never suspected they were being taken for a ride on a slow boat to North Borneo.

    The bad news is, the Malaysian officials knew what it was all about from the beginning, or as soon as they knew who were behind it. They only had to look up their police and military records for confirmation. And so “Operation Daulat.”

    As of this writing, over 5,000 refugees have been reported by local authorities to have fled Sabah because of the fighting and what has been termed a “crackdown” on Tausug there, regardless of whether they are long-time residents, legal or illegal. The village of Tanduao has been emptied of its mostly Tausug residents and will be permanently closed.

    A humiliating twist in this story of forcible evacuation of residents is their having been robbed by the Kiram gunmen who looted their homes at gunpoint and carted away newly purchased appliances and other valuables. At this point, one wonders to what depths of ignominy the Tausug, the Bangsa Sug in general, the Sultanate of Sulu, and even the Republic of the Philippines to which Jamalul has declared his allegiance, will be dragged into by his infamous 200 who have now been reduced to the level of common criminals.

    But of course all this, for which so many lives have been lost and so much destruction has been wrought, was, as it will come to light in due time, deliberately built on a framework of lies.

    As it has always done so, from Caligula to Cromwell, the truth has a way of coming out in the end.

    In the so-called Mindanao conflict that flared up in the 1970s, over 160,000 mostly civilian lives were lost. An undetermined number were killed by the military on mere suspicion of being sympathizers of the Moro National Liberation Front. The whole town of Jolo, which was the most devastated, almost disappeared from the face of the earth, and a whole community disappeared from it, never to return.

    For over two decades now, Sulu has been the breeding ground of the Abu Sayyaf, which has made the province’s countryside a no-man’s land even for the Tausug themselves, in turn making “warlords” out of those who have to defend their power and their turf.

    And it is only now that the Bangsa Sug are slowly realizing the painful and shameful truth that Malaysia had known all along: It was all because of Sabah, from the beginning.

    But if they will try to go back in time, as some already have, they will discover that this “sorry scheme of things” is just a progression of self-destruction that began from the decline of the once powerful and once “glorious” sultanate. And yet the very unfortunate fact is, they have not learned their lesson.

    Now that the prospect of reclaiming North Borneo is again on the horizon, the so-called heirs of the sultanate have materialized like ghosts from the Arabian Nights, drawing out their genealogies to validate their claims of legitimacy.

    I have not overheard anybody talking about reestablishing the dormant sultanate (it has never died in the hearts of the Bangsa Sug) on the foundation that gave rise to it in the first place—Islamic governance which, contrary to colonial thinking, is workable in the 21st century.

    In a reading of the turmoil that has resulted in the almost unstoppable carnage in some countries in the Middle East, it can be seen, even to the naked eye, that at the root of all this is the failure of their leaders to reconfigure Islamic governance in order to align it with a rapidly changing world, a change that has been accelerated in giant leaps by human knowledge and technology.

    As it is with Islamic countries, so it was with the Sultanate of Sulu, which declined with the advent of Western colonization.

    It is now up to the Bangsa Sug and their leaders, and in particular, those who claim royal lineage, to stop dreaming about reclaiming North Borneo. It belongs, and will always belong to the Sultanate of Sulu.

    There is no question about that. But where is the Sultanate of Sulu? That is the question.

    * * *

  3. #63
    PNoy: PH won't give up Sabah claim

    by Aurea Calica, The Philippine Star
    Posted at 05/17/2015 9:10 AM
    MANILA - President Aquino has maintained the Philippines will not drop its claim over Sabah, but that there are factors to consider before making moves to press for it.

    In a portion of a transcript of an interview by journalist Raissa Robles on the Sabah issue, the President said giving up Sabah would “open such a big can of worms in this country.”

    He said Justice Secretary Leila de Lima did a study on the matter and “one of the biggest issues there is the right of self-determination which, I understand, is part of the United Nations Charter.”

    “It’s supposed to trump everything, whether historical fact, et cetera. At the end of the day, people who are living there, if they are asked, will they say they want to join us or they want to join Malaysia? There was supposed to have been a vote done,” Aquino said.

    The Philippines maintains a territorial claim over eastern Sabah (formerly known as North Borneo ) by saying the agreement signed in 1878 between the Sultan of Sulu and the North Borneo Chartered Co. was merely a lease and did not strip the country of its sovereignty over the area.

    But Malaysia considers the Sabah dispute as a “non-issue” as it interprets the 1878 agreement as that of cession and deems that residents of Sabah had exercised their right to self-determination when they joined to form the Malayan Federation in 1963.

    Aquino also said he would not open himself up to “such a juicy item for all of the media to pounce on.”

    “To anybody who has entertained this idea that that was possible, that really smacks so much of your rationality,” he said.

    Aquino said he would be able to decide what to do “after I’m presented with a very good case.”

    “But it goes back to that enshrined right of self-determination. They will have to be asked where they want to go. And I am told that previously there had already been a plebiscite done, to which they said they wanted to join the Malayan Federation,” he said.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

  4. #64
    Misuari denies negotiating with Malaysian execs on Sabah claim

    MANILA – Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) leader Nur Misuari denied having negotiated with Malaysian officials on the status of Sabah and Sarawak, saying the group is leaving the matter up to the Sultanate of Sulu and Malaysia to peacefully work things out over the disputed territories.

    In a statement, Misuari dismissed as “unfounded and without any ounce of truth” some media reports that pointed to the MNLF as having negotiated with Malaysian authorities.

    He added that he is “respecting the fervent wish of the late Sultan Muhammad Jamalul Kiram III to let alone the Islamic Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo (SSNB) to negotiate peacefully with the Muslim leaders of Malaysia to settle the controversial issue to avoid repeating the March 2013 standoff in Lahad Datu, Sabah.”

    For Misuari, the North Borneo case is a non-issue to the MNLF as it is the home base of different tribal groupings of Muslims from different regions of Southeast Asia “that have enjoyed peaceful and harmonious co-existence with the Chinese and Christian populace.”

    “The MNLF can only respect the peaceful status quo desired by the inhabitants of the region,” the statement said.

    Meanwhile, the 57-member Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has invited Misuari, along with other leaders from Mindanao, to participate in the 42nd Council Ministers session in Kuwait on May 27 to 28.

    Misuari, according to MNLF spokesman Emmanuel Fontanilla, declined the invitation, citing travel restrictions imposed on him after he led a three-week siege in Zamboanga City in September 2013 that killed scores and displaced more than 200,000 residents.

    The Zamboanga City Regional Trial Court has issued a warrant for Misuari’s arrest, which also prevented him from attending the OIC meeting in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia last year.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

 
Visitor count:
Copyright © 2005 - 2013. Gameface.ph