twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Amateurism" Dilemma in Collegiate Recruiting

Share/Bookmark
    ^^So what's the point of that proposed rule? To force schools to use up a scholarship slot for the entire residency period? Come to think of it, is there a limit on how many scholarships a team can have, and is it enforced? It's an easy matter to send the tuition money to the athlete and have him say that it's coming from his own pocket.

I still think all these rules are silly, and that if a kid in high school wants to attend a particular college and can afford it, then he has every right to do so, no ifs or buts. If he's one of your juniors players and wants to move to another college, tough luck.

You can rant and rave and call him a mercenary and boo him and give him the BJ Manalo treatment. But life goes on, and instead of whining, you're better off trying to beat him and his new team. See: 2002 Ateneo Blue Eagles.

If you want to give me some talk about "costs of recruitment" and "investment," allow me to happily remind you that we are dealing with kids in a amateur league.
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

Totally agree Blooded. Any talk of recouping an investment on a high school player is an admission of exploitation of a minor. I said it in a previous post a restriction on a college freshman violates his human rights and his academic freedom. Any contract that he signed as a minor would not be binding. Even if his parents signed the "contract" they cannot force him to play for his school or not play for any other school because we are all protected against involuntary servitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
    ^^So what's the point of that proposed rule? To force schools to use up a scholarship slot for the entire residency period? Come to think of it, is there a limit on how many scholarships a team can have, and is it enforced? It's an easy matter to send the tuition money to the athlete and have him say that it's coming from his own pocket.
    Obviously a knee-jerk reaction to the Mbala move. With this rule, Mbala will be forced to wait til 2015. Right in time for his (Montinola's) newly ordered imports, who will sit for 2 years with or without that new rule
    Last edited by bchoter; 02-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.

The terrible thing that this is going to do is that it is going to make schools start recruiting at the high school level in order to circumvent these stupid rules. Doing this with college kids who are 18 years old is one thing. Doing it to high school students is really just awful.

If that's the way things are going to be, really, we will be in a situation analogous to the situation that led to the founding of the UAAP.

In that case, let's pack our bags and leave. In terms of basketball, we have nothing to prove to anyone. We have the most successful varsity basketball program in Philippine history, period. And that's only counting UAAP and NCAA titles. This discounts the fact that in addition to the major leagues, we also have victories in the offseason leagues, and the most number of national titles.
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

Quote Originally Posted by atenean_blooded View Post

In that case, let's pack our bags and leave. In terms of basketball, we have nothing to prove to anyone. We have the most successful varsity basketball program in Philippine history, period. And that's only counting UAAP and NCAA titles. This discounts the fact that in addition to the major leagues, we also have victories in the offseason leagues, and the most number of national titles.
    I totally agree with blooded.

Pera-pera na kasi talaga ngayon sa hirap din ng buhay. Kung ako man ang pobre, at may anak ako na magaling maglaro, at kita ko na pinag-aagawan siyang kunin ng mga may pera na tao para maglaro sa school nila, hijo de pota, hindi ko tatanggihan ang mga offer na 'yan. Bagkus magpataasan sila ng ibibigay para maganda naman ang kubra namin ng pamilya ko. Alalaon-baga dagdagan na nila ng non-cash incentives. THIS is the new reality in the recruitment of players. Kaya nga high school pa lang kagulo na. 'Yun ngang isang player diya nag-inarte pa, dagdag-pera lang pala kailangan.

A man's gotta eat. He also has to feed his family. I would not begrudge that of anybody, especially the pobres who have few options. Friggin' Keith Agovida had five or six siblings when he was in his last year with the JRU Light Bombers back in 2007. He has since resurfaced with Arellano, and in fact played against us in that shit tuneup at Moro last week. Guess what? He now has nine siblings. Kung hindi maghahanap ng kabuhayan ang Keith mamamatay sa gutom buong pamilya nila, pati na 'yun estupidong mga magulang niya na kasta ng kastang parang mga konejo.

You want to disallow him from getting what he can from whoever is willing to give it? Ok lang siguro. Kung ikaw na pumipigil ang siyang bubuhay sa pamilya niya. If not, to hell with you and your idealism. Not every kid getting good money as a recruit is a Jeron Teng or Keifer Ravena or Kib Montalbo who, in all honesty, does not really need that kind of money as a college player, coming from stable, well-to-do if not necessarily super rich families. Papano mga gaya ni Keith?

I myself long for those good old days when an amateur truly played for the love of the sport, for the sheer honor of athletic achievement. Sadly I must accept that those days are not merely gone, but will in all likelihood never come back. Tapunan na ng pera ang laban ngayon. Kung wala kang perang pantatapon, o meron man pero ayaw mong ipantapon sa player, aba'y sori na ka na lang.

Siguro pagalingan na lang 'yan ng mahuhugot na hindi expecting millions. Marami pa naman diyan, as close as Laguna, Cavite, Antipolo, Meycauayan, even Bahay Toro, as long as you look for them and talk to them earnestly and honestly. Kung umayaw e di pasensiya. Pero kung makuha mo naman, there is no other feeling like landing that kid no one's heard of and who suddenly is making expensive "blue chips" eat shit on the court.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

^ ^ Ngayon pag labas ng recruitment service, pati mga "in the rough" mawawala na rin sa mga penny-pinching schools (*aray). Wala ng mga "under the radar". More like under rated siguro.

Sino ba naman kasing pintyo pilatong nakapag isip ng recruitment service na yan eh. Reduced to rejects nalang talaga hehehehuhuhu

Quote Originally Posted by Joescoundrel View Post
    Pera-pera na kasi talaga ngayon sa hirap din ng buhay. Kung ako man ang pobre, at may anak ako na magaling maglaro, at kita ko na pinag-aagawan siyang kunin ng mga may pera na tao para maglaro sa school nila, hijo de pota, hindi ko tatanggihan ang mga offer na 'yan. Bagkus magpataasan sila ng ibibigay para maganda naman ang kubra namin ng pamilya ko. Alalaon-baga dagdagan na nila ng non-cash incentives. THIS is the new reality in the recruitment of players. Kaya nga high school pa lang kagulo na. 'Yun ngang isang player diya nag-inarte pa, dagdag-pera lang pala kailangan.

A man's gotta eat. He also has to feed his family. I would not begrudge that of anybody, especially the pobres who have few options. Friggin' Keith Agovida had five or six siblings when he was in his last year with the JRU Light Bombers back in 2007. He has since resurfaced with Arellano, and in fact played against us in that shit tuneup at Moro last week. Guess what? He now has nine siblings. Kung hindi maghahanap ng kabuhayan ang Keith mamamatay sa gutom buong pamilya nila, pati na 'yun estupidong mga magulang niya na kasta ng kastang parang mga konejo.

You want to disallow him from getting what he can from whoever is willing to give it? Ok lang siguro. Kung ikaw na pumipigil ang siyang bubuhay sa pamilya niya. If not, to hell with you and your idealism. Not every kid getting good money as a recruit is a Jeron Teng or Keifer Ravena or Kib Montalbo who, in all honesty, does not really need that kind of money as a college player, coming from stable, well-to-do if not necessarily super rich families. Papano mga gaya ni Keith?

I myself long for those good old days when an amateur truly played for the love of the sport, for the sheer honor of athletic achievement. Sadly I must accept that those days are not merely gone, but will in all likelihood never come back. Tapunan na ng pera ang laban ngayon. Kung wala kang perang pantatapon, o meron man pero ayaw mong ipantapon sa player, aba'y sori na ka na lang.

Siguro pagalingan na lang 'yan ng mahuhugot na hindi expecting millions. Marami pa naman diyan, as close as Laguna, Cavite, Antipolo, Meycauayan, even Bahay Toro, as long as you look for them and talk to them earnestly and honestly. Kung umayaw e di pasensiya. Pero kung makuha mo naman, there is no other feeling like landing that kid no one's heard of and who suddenly is making expensive "blue chips" eat shit on the court.
    Most of the time, its really all about the money. That is a very sad reality these days.

I would still think that there are blue chip recruits not after the money but more of the education and the chance they get to crack the UAAP team in a said school.

Got to talk to one of kib's representatives and they mentioned that the reason the kid chose to move towards DLSU is because of Norman Black not being the head coach. Well as you can see with coach Bo right now, everything seems to be very slow. Another person i got to talk to during one of the tionglian games was the brother of Kyles Lao, so far Kyles has passed all the regular DLSU, ADMU and UP entrance exams (not the ones for athletes) and would really just like to get a good education and ofcourse play basketball in a good program where he can show his skills.

As it is, there is nothing technically wrong with using money to get recruits. However, just because nothing is being violated it doesn't mean that it is right. We may live in a world not dictated by idealism but it doesn't mean we do not strive to attain a utopian world.

If the UAAP really wants to return to amateurism, then it is up to the UAAP board to make bold moves and provide restrictions and firm regulations in terms of recruiting. Why not impose stiff sanctions and suspensions when recruitment policies are broken? Put a spend limit when giving gifts to prospective players. Yes, ideally a recruit should to a school where he can get the course he wants but it is also a fact that playing basketball is a career(and a lucrative career at that) in itself.

Maybe for a change, the heads of each UAAP school and the UAAP board should be the ones taking the oath of the athlete.

Kung may pobre talagang player at kulang ang scholarship para sa kanya, maraming liga na pwede siyang kumita ng pera. Kaya nga may PBA D-league, ABL(the other ABL), Pampanga league at yung iba pang liga na pera pera ang usapan. Pero pagdating sa college basketball, mapa UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI at iba pa, ang sama ng lasa sa dila pag bayaran ang player.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast