twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Amateurism" Dilemma in Collegiate Recruiting

Share/Bookmark
    There is a current article in Spin where in the UAAP is suppose to be studying a proposal to use a binding letter of intent (LOI) for athletes being recruited by UAAP schools. The LOI is suppose to be a copy of the contract used by the US NCAA binding a high school athlete to his choice of college. Once the athlete signs the LOI, the other UAAP schools are no longer allowed to recruit the athlete and the athlete has to honor his commitment for his freshman year. I personally like this rule but have a couple of questions for the board.

First, who prepares the LOI? The UAAP board should all agree on the form of the LOI that is distributed to all athletes. Who can be tendered the LOI and when can the athletes sign the LOI? In the NCAA, athletes are not tendered the contract until their senior year and both athlete and the athletes parent or guardian have to sign the binding letter of agreement. The NCAA also sets when the signed form letter has to be submitted to the school and the school then forwards the signed contract to the NCAA offices. In basketball, the signing date is the middle of November and spring date is in April. For football, contracts needs to be signed and submitted no earlier than this Wednesday.

Secondly, the UAAP has to address the question of athletes signing the LOI because of the coach and not the school. When the schools fire the coach, the athlete may no longer look favorably to the school. The NCAA allows schools to release athletes from their LOI if the athletes family requests to be released.

Third, how long can the UAAP school hold the athlete hostage to the LOI? The current proposal binds the athlete to honor his LOI for his freshman year. The way it is currently worded, a UAAP school can hold the athlete a hostage for 3 years total before he can transfer to another UAAP school. A better alternative is to bind the athlete for his first year but if said athlete is red shirted and not elevated to varsity, the athlete should be allowed the option of transferring to another school without the 2 year residency requirement.

Fourth, how does the UAAP impose the LOI on other schools not belonging to the UAAP?

My two cents.

The super agent was super enough to hide a blue chipper from down under while the kid was in town. He didn't go to any school. Not ADMU nore SBC. Not even DLSU. I was supposed to be FB-tight with his family but I couldn't even get his phone number. In other words the kid came only to talk to the super agent.

Para hindi off-topic, tho super agent is nudging him towards Recto, according to a family member, the kid really wants to take his talents to Katipunan. According to another prospect from down under (PG), the kid did well in Melbourne's JV league play.

^ Are you referring to the fool's gold? Commissioner kasi si "super" agent kaya sa cronies lang dinadala.

Sam, globalization and all, IMO the Philippines is not exactly comparable to the US re basketball. There, there are hundreds of schools and various leagues and competition is stiff that several non-Americans would not be an issue, i.e. NCAA and NBA. Here we have only a number of leagues and limited slots for big men. I said one import (that is big man) so the local big men could improve playing the imports (in preparation for the PBA) while the local big men could have playing time when the imports are rested. Otherwise the locals would not get any playing time at all if two or more big men are allowed per team. A little protectionist maybe but it is good for local basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by bchoter View Post
    ^ How about reducing the 2-year residency of fresh-from-HS fil-ams to just one? The NCAA actually allows these fil-ams to play right away
    No residency just like the NCAA. HS graduates I was referring to include those from abroad.
    Last edited by gfy; 02-05-2013 at 03:23 AM.

All this talk is enough to make me return to drinking...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE HORSE View Post
    There is a current article in Spin where in the UAAP is suppose to be studying a proposal to use a binding letter of intent (LOI) for athletes being recruited by UAAP schools. The LOI is suppose to be a copy of the contract used by the US NCAA binding a high school athlete to his choice of college. Once the athlete signs the LOI, the other UAAP schools are no longer allowed to recruit the athlete and the athlete has to honor his commitment for his freshman year. I personally like this rule but have a couple of questions for the board.
    There's a major difference between here and the US though. In the US, the high school is not the same school as the college. Here, the LOI, instead of "freeing" the recruit, could be used to make him a hostage. Imagine a HS hotshot being forced to sign an LOI to his school as a condition for graduating.

On Pingoy, I think it was unethical, I am not sure legal, for FEU to sign a contract even if the father supposedly signed it and even if the family allegedly asked for it. Basketball is not exactly showbiz for these kind of contracts.

Another proposal I heard is the two-year residency for imports which should be spent in the school he's going to. Will this be, if approved, effective immediately? This means that even if the import has stayed a few years already in the country he STILL has to fulfill 2 years residency in the school.

Quote Originally Posted by gfy View Post
    Another proposal I heard is the two-year residency for imports which should be spent in the school he's going to. Will this be, if approved, effective immediately? This means that even if the import has stayed a few years already in the country he STILL has to fulfill 2 years residency in the school.

The MBALA Rule.
    Last edited by 5FootCarrot; 02-10-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: to add partial quote

Quote Originally Posted by gfy View Post
    This will hurt schools who have limited scholarships to offer (*ehem *ehem). Some schools don't offer 100% scholarship on the 1st year of a 2-year residency period that's why they are sometimes sent to another friendly school who is willing to give the student-athlete full scholarship for 1 year. This won't affect schools who can offer 100% scholarship for both years for ALL student-athletes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast