twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't Wait for The coming UAAP Season...Go Go Go DLSU

Share/Bookmark

Can't Wait for The coming UAAP Season...Go Go Go DLSU

I really can not wait for the coming 2013 UAAP Season. I believe this year we will be able to get the title at long last. We have last year's UAAP Rookie of the Year, our team is almost intact, and we were able to recruit one of the hottest prized PG.

Hopefully it might happen

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheart View Post
    I really can not wait for the coming 2013 UAAP Season. I believe this year we will be able to get the title at long last. We have last year's UAAP Rookie of the Year, our team is almost intact, and we were able to recruit one of the hottest prized PG.
    No matter how strong the line up is both on paper and in an actual game, it will never be a guarantee on winning a championship or even games my friend. Let's all relax for now. The FilOil and Father Martin's are just around the corner and probably will start around March so that all of can see how the team's dynamic will change for this coming UAAP season.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

So true, bigfreeze. Remember that NU also built an all-star team last year but that was still not enough. Having the right materials is a big factor of course, but team chemistry and dynamics are also very important. Remember that DLSU also brought in the best and brightest HS players during the time of Franz and Dindo but that did not translate into championships for DLSU. They cherry-picked from the RP youth team and recruited the “best” but some of them eventually left the team because of team dynamics, i.e., Sam Marata and Joel Tolentino. The other blue chip recruits, like Jarelan Tampus and Almond Vosotros are playing on and off, sometimes brilliant and sometimes disappointing.

But, definitely, the current crop of recruits and resident players will give DLSU a stronger chance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfreeze_bibby View Post
    No matter how strong the line up is both on paper and in an actual game, it will never be a guarantee on winning a championship or even games my friend. Let's all relax for now. The FilOil and Father Martin's are just around the corner and probably will start around March so that all of can see how the team's dynamic will change for this coming UAAP season.
    Bigfreeze, more than the manpower, I fully agree with your sentiments on team dynamic. In a tournament as competitive as the UAAP, it is tough to come together as a team. Over the last five years, the Ateneo has put together not just strong rosters. We were held together by the sheer force of will it seemed of our greatest recruit ever, Norman Black. His vision of how a team should be permeated every facet of the Blue Eagles. Some tough choices had to be made over the 5-Peat, and he made them, and because of that he kept the dynamic he wanted, the dynamic that allowed for success.

In your case, Gee Abanilla is a great teacher who has yet to show that he can be a great coach. He is a good coach, and certainly knows his basketball, but he has to take that step to the next level. Franz Pumaren was the last Lasalle coach who crossed that threshold and became a great coach. A lot has been said about the events of 2005 and 2006, but those can never take away from the success of 1998-2001. Abanilla has to take that next step, and impose his will on this Lasalle team, and build the dynamic that he wants. He will have to make his own tough decisions, and live with the consequences, just like Black did.

Outside of the Ateneo you guys were the last UAAP champion. That was still very much a team that had that winning dynamic, that moved as a team in the way that winning teams do. This is a different UAAP of course, but still there is no selling short the dynamic that drives success. Talent may make you look good, but a winning dynamic spells success, and without it even all the talent in the world will forever be locked in that limbo called "potential".

Quote Originally Posted by LION View Post

, Sam Marata and Joel Tolentino r.
    Lion, those two were taken out of the team due to problems with academics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel View Post
    Bigfreeze, more than the manpower, I fully agree with your sentiments on team dynamic. In a tournament as competitive as the UAAP, it is tough to come together as a team. Over the last five years, the Ateneo has put together not just strong rosters. We were held together by the sheer force of will it seemed of our greatest recruit ever, Norman Black. His vision of how a team should be permeated every facet of the Blue Eagles. Some tough choices had to be made over the 5-Peat, and he made them, and because of that he kept the dynamic he wanted, the dynamic that allowed for success.

In your case, Gee Abanilla is a great teacher who has yet to show that he can be a great coach. He is a good coach, and certainly knows his basketball, but he has to take that step to the next level. Franz Pumaren was the last Lasalle coach who crossed that threshold and became a great coach. A lot has been said about the events of 2005 and 2006, but those can never take away from the success of 1998-2001. Abanilla has to take that next step, and impose his will on this Lasalle team, and build the dynamic that he wants. He will have to make his own tough decisions, and live with the consequences, just like Black did.

Outside of the Ateneo you guys were the last UAAP champion. That was still very much a team that had that winning dynamic, that moved as a team in the way that winning teams do. This is a different UAAP of course, but still there is no selling short the dynamic that drives success. Talent may make you look good, but a winning dynamic spells success, and without it even all the talent in the world will forever be locked in that limbo called "potential".
    Hi Sam, yeah gotta agree with your points too that Coach Norman really had his imprints in your team. Even in TNT right now in the PBA, I saw resemblances of how the Blue Eagles are doing it on the defensive end. It is more appreciative now because big-name players are executing it and it really paves way for success (with the way they toyed with Rain or Shine). I am still wondering why MVP had to let Norman go (aside from the career step-up move perhaps that I think every coach would want at some point in their coaching career).

As for us in Taft, I trust our coaches that at some point, they'll get there. I believe that college basketball has always been 50-50 and a yin-yang wherein the coach's system has to be embedded at the players but at the same time, the coach has to have the tools that will make the system up and running. The players have to believe in the coach's system too so it's a cycle really since if both sides got the trust they wanted, the results will speak for itself later on via the silverwares won.
    One thing "the best" never do as they become more successful: slow down. Just not in the vocabulary of "the best". - Kevin Eastman, assistant coach, Boston Celtics (2004-Present)

^ Papa Bigfreeze, I think the real reason MVP kicked Norman Black upstairs is to force Kid Cubao to take the coaching reins for the Blue Eagles. Kaya lang the gambit didn't work, at sadyang iba ang mahal ni Kid Cubao.

Seriously though, you guys have a great recruiting class coming in, and more talent and size still to come for the following years, and I can understand where Greenheart is coming from. Ganun din ako nung summer of 2008 when it became official that we got all the guys we wanted, and also in the bonfire of 2010 when Greg Slaughter was introduced. Konting pukpok na lang siguro on the part of Gee Abanilla, and I am looking forward to more good things to come from Juno Sauler and Jun Limpot as well.

Kami nga bungi-bungi na lineup eh, pero fight pa din para sa 6-Peat!

Toma tayo minsan nina Papa James.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

College ball, more than the pros, is a game of recruitment. My opinion, of course, but since the early 2000s, Ateneo always got the cream of the crop, and La Salle got the next best. While La Salle was able to maintain some competitiveness, we were never able to cross the threshold for the team-to-beat. We did okay, because after Mac Cardona, we still had Jayvee and Rico M. to lead the team, but after they left, we just did not have the players that could lift the team, just by being there.

You can call these players by the many names they go by; franchise players, difference makers, game changers, go-to-guys - we did not have these type of players. We had 10-16 players who were good; just not the ones that you could call any of those four mentioned above. Ateneo was able to get these type of players, so when Jayvee and Rico were done, we had big holes to fill. The last two years, we have been able to get players who will help get us to the next level, and Jeron has proven that he may be that player that all champion teams need. He's still a rookie, and will make rookie mistakes, but he will lead this La Salle team to the next level, make no mistake about that. He will also have with him guys like Thomas, and Gab Reyes, and yes, Mac Tallo; and the current recruits will help our front court tremendously.

Will Kib Montalbo be another 'franchise' player? We certainly hope so. There are also a few more 'parts' that will make this Green Archer team a formidable college team in the near future; some frontcourt players to help out Papot, Norbert, Yutien and Arnold. WHEN we find those parts, I think we can challenge Ateneo, UST and NU.
    Last edited by david64; 01-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james_hunt View Post
    Lion, those two were taken out of the team due to problems with academics.
    And they are both UPIS products, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast