twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Really, Coach Eric? Really?

Share/Bookmark
    congrats nu management, naisahan ninyo ang feu sa protesta.
    condolence eric, tanging ikaw lang ang sisisihin kapag natalo kayo sa feu sa replay at 'di kayo nakapasok sa final 4 ulit.
    on the bright side, if you do fail to make it to the final 4 again, you will still finish not lower than you did 1 BRP MVP (maybe 2) and 60 million pesos ago.
    nakakahiya naman kay eric gonzales who coached nu in season 73 and finished a respectable 5th if you do worse.
    I will stand outside. If anybody asks, I'm OUTSTANDING.

Eric Altamirano must be wondering what the basketball gods have against him.

His B Team bowed out of the Fr Martin Cup, losing 76-59 to JRU B in their quarterfinal match a few days ago.

Note that the NU B side has AJ Hanson and Alfred Aroga, two guys legitimately 6-foot-6 who are both superb athletes who put on a show during round robins.

JRU B has the once-upon-a-time Red Lion aspirant Paolo Pontejos as its only with-a-name player.

JRU B simply executed their plays in the halfcourt, gang-rebounded, set good solid screen and picks, moved the ball quickly, threw out the outlet passes in transition, and sat in a 2-3 zone with a 1-2-2 three quarter court trap here and there.

NU B couldn't even crash the offensive boards enough with their taller and stronger athletes for second chance points.

Yes, it is "merely" an off-season tournament. But still, if your guys lose this bad what does that say about their true worth as players?

Future’s uncertain for King Bulldog Parks

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

11:24 pm | Sunday, September 29th, 2013

NATIONAL University’s shock exit has left disappointed team star Ray Parks with several options.

He is now toying with the idea of jumping to the pros, returning to the United States, or going for another shot at the varsity crown after the Bulldogs’ UAAP campaign came to a painful end in the Final Four of the men’s basketball tournament.

“There are lots of things going on in my mind right now,” said Parks the other day.

The son of former seven-time PBA Best Import Bobby Parks had reasons to feel uncertain of his future after the Bulldogs, the No. 1 seed after the eliminations and expected to go all the way to the Finals, failed to get the job done.

The Bulldogs had two chances to reach the championship series for the first time in 43 years, but the gung-ho Growling Tigers of University of Santo Tomas squad blocked their way.

“They showed up, they played tough and they played their type of basketball,” Parks said after the fourth-ranked Tigers overcame the Bulldogs’ twice-to-beat semifinal advantage last Saturday.

“It could have been our lack of experience. They (Tigers) are veterans, they’ve been there, done that.”

The Tigers, the losing finalists last year to the Ateneo Eagles, became the first No. 4 team to advance to the Finals after stunning the Bulldogs, 76-69, in their do-or-die contest for the right to face the La Salle Green Archers.

Kevin Ferrer powered the Tigers just as he did in their first semifinal clash a week earlier where they won in a 71-62 decision that forged the winner-take-all duel.
    undefined

Ferrer also hounded Parks in the series as the two-time MVP wound up scoreless in the fourth quarter of the decider. He eventually went down with cramps in the final minute.

“I’ve got some thinking to do,” said Parks. “I’m not sure yet if I’m leaving because I really want to get that championship.”

The Bulldogs’ ouster also derailed NU’s bid for a rare three-division title romp as both its juniors and women’s teams had already advanced to the Finals.

“I just want to take time off, probably train in the States,” said Parks. “[The PBA Draft], of course, it’s still an option.”

Indeed, Parks and the Bulldogs have a lot to think about after a remarkable run came to a nightmarish end.

Even coach Eric Altamirano’s future with the Bulldogs remains uncertain as the season marks the end of his three-year contract.

“We’ll see where it goes from here,” Parks said as he walked out of the arena, leaving everyone guessing if the league star just played his final collegiate game.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

^ Ano pa ba kulang, Coach E? Meron pa bang hindi naibigay sa inyo ang SM Management? Ano na naman ang nangyari? May twice-to-beat pa tayo!
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Tinanim niya ang pagiging selfish kay Parks by putting too much emphasis on the MVP, going as far as stats padding to get it. So all Parks did was to look out for himself. Si Khobuntin lang ang may b@yag. lahat duwag

Grateful NU owner Hans Sy on coach Altamirano's next contract: 'As long as he wants'

October 16, 2014, 12:52 pm

NU chairman Hans Sy and coach Eric Altamirano savor the winning moment.

A GRATEFUL Hans Sy intends to keep Eric Altamirano as head coach of National University as long as possible.

The NU chairman and the school’s chief backer bared that Altamirano is actually in the final year of his four-year contract with the Bulldogs, but assured that there will be no coaching changes anytime soon. “Actually four years,” said Sy, when asked about the contract of NU’s head coach who was hired in 2011.

Sy admitted there was uncertainty over Altamirano's future after the top-seeded Bulldogs were bounced out of the Final Four by University of Santo Tomas. “I know there were a lot of questions na akala last year, tatangalin namin siya. In fact, I talked to Eric and I said this is what happens, 'Alam ng tao, end of contract, maraming nag-aapply.'

“But I assured him and told him, 'Don’t worry, we will continue with you because I believe in your program.' I know how he gained the respect of the players,” said Sy.

Altamirano repaid Sy's faith this season, guiding the Bulldogs to their first UAAP championship in 60 years with an emphatic Game Three victory over the FEU Tamaraws on Wednesday.

Before that, NU beat Ateneo in two games to become only the second fourth-seeded team to make the finals. In turn, the Bulldogs also became the first fourth-ranked team at the end of the elims to win the UAAP title.

On how long Altamirano's new contract would be, Sy didn’t give an exact timetable but hinted that the longer, the better. “As long as we can. As long as he wants,” said Sy.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Eric Altamirano, given an even chance with a talented roster, finally delivered a championship that matters to NU. I must admit he has transformed this team into a truly disciplined defensive unit that does away with gimmicks and just plays ball. His next challenge will be replacing two starters who put in good numbers - Troy Rosario and Glenn Khobuntin.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

^ Good Lord, 0-3. With UST, FEU, UP, and Adamson still up ahead. That is a game schedule that has a better than even chance of giving NU at best a 2-5 record in Round 1. If UP is still feeling it this might even become 1-6.

NU's game last night versus the Ateneo was a game they could have won, and yet they got dragged into two overtimes and eventually ran out of gas.

Gelo Alolino has been playing like an MVP, but it is clear this team simply does not have the kind of talent they were used to having before.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3