twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: UAAP SEASON 75 for DE LA SALLE GREEN ARCHERS

Share/Bookmark
    If I'm not mistaken, we have 8 former greenies (LSGH & Zobel) in the Ateneo basketball program (teams A and B): Salva, Ravena, Elorde, Capacio, Angeles, Boo, Bederi, and Lim. We respect their decision, and we wish them well. If and when they do get the opportunity to play against our team, we will expect them to give it their best.

Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, we have 8 former greenies (LSGH & Zobel) in the Ateneo basketball program (teams A and B): Salva, Ravena, Elorde, Capacio, Angeles, Boo, Bederi, and Lim. We respect their decision, and we wish them well. If and when they do get the opportunity to play against our team, we will expect them to give it their best.
    Salva and Ravena have been brainwashed. Nico, Capacio, and Isaac still sing the La Salle Alma Mater song whenever they play against us. Also, nico very much in touch with his former Green Archer mates and team management.

^^^ James, my memory is failing, was Nico Salva from the LSGH Grade School? I know he came from LSGH High School before transferring to San Beda, but I cannot recall if he came from your Grade School.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel View Post
    ^^^ James, my memory is failing, was Nico Salva from the LSGH Grade School? I know he came from LSGH High School before transferring to San Beda, but I cannot recall if he came from your Grade School.
    Good question. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

My memory fails me sometimes...

Eagles repulse Archers; Tigers snare Bulldogs

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:35 am | Sunday, July 29th, 2012

GREG Slaughter, Nico Salva and Kiefer Ravena combined for all but one of Ateneo’s fourth-quarter points as the Ateneo Blue Eagles turned back the La Salle Green Archers, 71-61, yesterday to claim solo second in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

“When you’re playing La Salle, there’s no guarantee how it’s going be,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black as the Eagles improved to 3-1 behind unbeaten and idle leader Far Eastern after the blockbuster showdown in front of a 17,000-strong crowd at the Mall of Asia Arena.

“It doesn’t matter which team has more talent. We expect every game to be close,” added Black, who is bidding to give Ateneo a fifth straight title before leaving to coach Talk ‘N Text in the PBA.

University of Santo Tomas, which dealt Ateneo’s lone loss so far, sustained its impressive form by coming from behind to down National University, 77-71, in the first game.

Jeric Teng unloaded 21 points, including two key triples in the fourth quarter where the Tigers battled from 10 points down, 53-63, before moving up to third place at 2-1.

“Naka-tsamba na naman (We got lucky again),” said UST coach Pido Jarencio, just nine days after the Tigers clawed back from a 19-point hole for a 71-70 decision over the Eagles.

The Bulldogs, who led 29-15 in the second quarter, and the Archers dropped to 2-2.

Slaughter pumped in 20 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while Salva delivered 16 markers and seven boards. Ravena drilled 10 of his 16 points in the first half, which the Blue Eagles dominated before LA Revilla, Jeron Teng and Norbert Torres led the La Salle fightback.

In the crowd during the Ateneo-La Salle match was Bo Perasol, the PBA coach tagged as Ateneo’s “first choice” to replace Black when the American mentor returns to the pro league at the end of the season.

The scores:

First Game

UST 77—Teng 21, Abdul 11, Mariano 10, Fortuna 10, Ferrrer 8, Bautista 7, Afuang 6, Lo 4, Vigil 0, Pe 0, Daquioag 0.

NU 71—Parks 25, Mbe 13, Alolino 13, Javillonar 11,Villamor 5, Rosario 3, Ignacio 1, Rońo 0, Neypes 0, Khobuntin 0, De Guzman 0, Betayene.

Quarters: 15-21, 36-41, 53-60, 77-71

Second Game

ATENEO 71—Slaughter 20, Salva 16, Ravena 16, Chua 6, Tiongson 4, Elorde 3, Buenafe 3, Pessumal 2, Erram 1, Sumalinog 0, Gonzaga 0.

LA SALLE 61—Revilla 16, Teng 13, N. Torres 11, Dela Paz 7, Manguera 6, Van Opstal 2, Andrada 2, Webb 2, Mendoza 1, Tampus 1, Paredes 0, Vosotros 0, T. Torres 0, Gotladera 0, Tallo 0.

Quarters: 20-8, 35-26, 53-50, 71-61
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Tigers down Archers

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

2:15 am | Sunday, August 5th, 2012

UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas nipped La Salle in double overtime even as Ateneo expectedly surged to the lead after its coach picked up a career-best win No. 100 yesterday at Mall of Asia Arena.

Aljon Mariano carried the Tigers in every crucial stretch to lift UST past La Salle, 84-82, while the defending champion Blue Eagles blasted the winless University of the East Warriors, 68-51, and moved on top of the UAAP basketball tournament.

Mariano knocked in all of Tigers’ four points in the second overtime, including the game-winning jumper from the left corner with 7.1 seconds left.

The 6-foot-3 forward also forged the first overtime, 71-71, by nailing a tough undergoal stab with 9.7 ticks remaining, then later scored all but two of the Tigers’ nine points in the first extension that ended at 80-all.

“The attitude that I really taught my players was to never give up,” said coach Pido Jarencio after his Tigers climbed to solo third at 3-1.

Mariano–proving to be this season’s revelation for the Tigers–only scored two points in the first three quarters before finishing with 15 markers.

Karim Abdul also came out huge in the endgame, blocking two La Salle shots in the closing seconds, the last on Yutien Andrada’s attempt to extend the game anew.

The Cameroonian center wound up with 16 points and 16 rebounds.

Fueling the Tigers’ strong start was Clark Bautista, who unloaded 18 of his game-high 21 markers from three-point range built on a 7-of-11 clip from the field.

LA Revilla, who led La Salle with 19 points, could have won the game for the Archers in regulation, but officials ruled that his floater failed to beat the buzzer.

The scores:

First Game

UST 84—Bautista 21, Abdul 16, Mariano 15, Teng 9, Fortuna 8, Afuang 8, Ferrer 5, Pe 2, Lo 0, Daquioag 0.

LA SALLE 82—Revilla 19, Teng 17, Andrada 16, Webb 13, Torres 7, Manguera 6, Van Opstal 2, Tallo 2, Torres 0, Dela Paz 0.

Quarters: 15-17, 29-30, 56-48, 71-71 (reg), 80-80 (1OT), 84-82 (2OT)
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel View Post
    I was told Nico Salva came from the LSGH GS and two years of HS before moving to San Beda.

Tigers smother Warriors, close in on leaders

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated August 13, 2012 12:00 AM

University of Santo Tomas came through with an overpowering performance to run down a hapless University of the East side, 85-69, and move a step closer to league-leading Ateneo and Far Eastern U in the 75th UAAP basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum yesterday.

Cameroonian Karim Abdul powered his way to 20 points and 19 rebounds while sophomore Kevin Ferrer had his best game of his young career with 16 points he highlighted with four triples to help propel the Tigers to their fourth straight victory against a defeat.

The win also moved UST half-a-game behind idle Ateneo, the reigning champion, and FEU, tied for the lead at 5-1.

And the Tigers did it without Jeric Teng, who sat out due to a strained knee, as they drew big games from second stringers Louie Vigil and Eduardo Dacquioag.

Vigil, who played high school ball for Jose Rizal, fired a career-high 13 points while Caquiaog scored all of his six points in one stretch in the second period when UST turned what was once a close contest into a rout.

“This is a breakout game for Ferrer, I’ve been waiting for that since last year,” said UST coach Pido Jarencio in Filipino. “The other guys who have limited time like Vigil and Daquioag also stepped up in the absence of Jeric and that helped us a lot.”

Earlier, La Salle leaned on rookie Jeron Teng and its defense late in the game to hold off Adamson, 56-52, and get back on track with a 3-3 card.

Teng led his team with 15 points, including a basket that gave the Archers the lead for good and a free throw that put away the Falcons.

La Salle coach Gee Abanilla said the injury to starting point guard LA Revilla, who tweaked an ankle in the first half, threw them off balanced.

“LA Revilla’s injury threw us off a bit, I hope it isn’t serious,” said Abanilla. “Good thing about it is that the rookies were given a chance to play and I think they perform really well.

“I hope they will perform better for us to do well in our future games,” he added.

Ryan Monteclaro led his team with 12 points but the Falcons missed main man Alex Nuyles, who will be out the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, that they couldn’t deliver when it mattered most. They fell to their fourth setback against a win.

Roider Cabrera gave Adamson a 52-51 lead with a little less than two minutes to go but the Falcons couldn’t score from there while Teng secured the victory with his clutch shooting.

Our team is still going so strong. I think we really have good chances for the trophy...

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated August 19, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Ateneo bucked a sloppy start with a blistering finish yesterday as it turned back Far Eastern U, 74-71, to seize the solo lead in the 75th UAAP basketball tournament at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.

Hotshot rookie Jeron Teng earlier outduelled Bobby Ray Parks in one of the league’s highest individual scoring battles as La Salle eked out a pulsating 87-86 double overtime victory over National U to finish its first round campaign in the middle of the pack.

Both Teng and Parks, the reigning league MVP, wound up with a league-best 35 points but it was the former who came out victorious as the Archers escaped with their fourth win against three losses for a share of fourth spot with the Bulldogs.

Seven-footer Greg Slaughter paced the Eagles with 17 points while adding eight rebounds, three assists and game-high five blocks to help the Eagles finish up there after the first round of eliminations.

“We’re right where we wanted, to be in the top two because I’ve always said that it will help a lot if we finish with the twice-to-beat advantage in the Final Four,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black.

Juami Tiongson scattered three triples, including two in the third quarter where the Eagles turned things around, and wound up with 12 points.

Kiefer Ravena and Ryan Buenafe chipped in 12 and 10 points, respectively.

The Tams, who controlled the tempo and led by double digits in the first half, including 37-27 at the break, were led by RR Garcia’s 21 points.

But in the fourth quarter the Tams failed to suppress the Eagles’ late uprising and fell to No. 3 with a 5-2 record.

It marked the first time in recent history that two players scored at least 30 points in the same game, perhaps reminiscent of the scoring battle waged by then University of the East hotshot Allan “The Triggerman” Caidic and Santo Tomas gunner Pido Jarencio in the 1980s.

Teng’s output was the highest by a La Salle player since Joseph Yeo dropped 31 in a Final Four game with archrival Ateneo six seasons ago. It was also the best scoring effort by a neophyte since State U’s Mike Gamboa unloaded a 25 points five years back.

They also surpassed the identical 33 points score by Ateneo’s Rabeh Al-Hussaini’s and Adamson’s Ken Bono in a Final Four match six years ago.

However, both Teng and Parks fell short of the 43 points posted by NU’s Jeff Napa in a game against Adamson on Aug. 23, 2002. Napa hit 10 triples in that game.

“Honestly, I didn’t come into this game to score but I have to step up because LA (Revilla) hasn’t been practicing for a week because of a sprained ankle,” said the 18-year-old Teng, who once scored 104 points in a high school game for Xavier.

Teng and the 19-year-old Parks are both sons of former star players in the PBA - Alvin Teng of San Miguel and seven-time PBA Best Import awardee Bobby Parks.

The scores:

First Game (Srs)

La Salle 87 – Teng 35, Vosotros 18, Andrada 8, Van Opstal 7, N. Torres 6, T. Torres 5, Mendoza 4, Revilla 3, Manguera 1, Gotladera 0, Tallo 0, Webb 0

NU 86 – Parks 35, Rosario 14, Mbe 12, Javillonar 6, Rono 5, Alolino 4, Villamor 3, Khobuntin 3, Singh 2, de Guzman 2, Labing-isa 0, Betayene 0

Quarterscores: 25-14; 42-37; 59-52; 69-69 (OT); 79-79 (2OT); 87-86

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast