twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Knights in Season 88

Share/Bookmark
    Wasn't able to watch the game yesterday. But, just to be consistent, here's the account from www.ncaa.org.ph (with changed title, though):

Blazers Burn Knights, 77 - 60

The College of Saint Benilde Blazers recovered from their previous two set backs as they banked on a huge second half as torching the woeful Letran Knights, 77-60 at the San Juan Arena gym earlier.

The Blazers got a major lift from prized transferee Joel Tolentino who led the Benilde rally in the second half, getting a total of 17 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. Tolentino spearheaded the Benilde rally, running every time they get a chance, resulting to 23 fastbreak points compared to Letran’s 3. With the win, Benilde moved up to 2-2.

Coach Richard del Rosario couldn’t be any happier with the win

“This was a very important game because we were able to keep our heads above water,” Richard del Rosario said. “We’re just trying to win as many games, against Mapua we were playing them undermanned and we lost, we didnt want to commit the same mistake against Letran.” he added.

The Blazers were actually down in the first half, 35-40, following a hot start by skipper Kevin Alas. But Benilde banked on their solid defense, allowing Letran to just 20 points in the half and completely shutting down Letran’s Alas as he went scoreless in the half.

“At the first half, I was being outcoached. Nagadjust ako, we went small and we were able to run.” added del Rosario.

The Blazers also drew big games from Mark Romero and Paolo Taha who produced 23 points and 16 rebounds combined. Lastimosa for his part had a fairly quiet night, scoring 10 points and dishing out 3 assists.

It was another disappointment for this season’s host as they dropped three consecutive games against teams who failed to make the semis last year. With the consecutive losses, Letran now falls to the cellar alongside Arellano and Lyceum with an identical 1-3 record.

Kevin Racal was the only bright spot for Letran in the second half scoring 18 points and adding 8 rebounds. Mark Cruz and Kevin Alas combined for 24 points but also combined to shoot a woeful 7/30 for the Knights.

Letran was missing the services of bigman Raymond Almazan who’s still on sickbay and Jam Cortes who’s serving a one game suspension.

The scores

CSB 77 – Tolentino 17, Romero 13, Taha 10, Lastimosa 10, Grey 9, Bartolo 7, Sinco 5, Ongtenco 4, Tan 2, Deles 0, Maconcido 0

CSJL 60 – Racal 18, Cruz 13, Alas K 11, Belorio 6, Olotu 5, Lituania 4, Alas J 2, Cudal 1, Pantin 0, Luib 0, Almario 0

Quarter scoring: 17-23, 35-40, 56-50, 77-60

babawi yan.
    sa perya para manalo dalawa lang ang tatayaan mo, sa Pula sa Puti.

^Nawa'y magdilang-anghel ka, totimendiola. Salamat.

Knights Fry Cardinals, 66 - 60.

Finally, another win!

The Letran Knights employed a suffocating man-to-man defense in the period bridging the third and fourth quarters to suck the life out of the Mapua Cardinals, 66 - 60, in the resumption of hostilities yesterday of the 88th NCAA men's basketball tournament at the San Juan Arena. Well, perhaps that was an exaggeration, as even though the Knights were up by 17 up to about the six-minute mark of the fourth quarter, the Cardinals -- courtesy of Mike Parala, Kenneth Ighalo and Jumel Chien -- were able to trim the deficit down to three, 59 - 62, with a little over a minute left.

But luck was on the Knights' side as Josan Nimes committed crucial errors and muffed free throws while Kevin Alas and Mark Cruz sank enough free throws to preserve the win.

It seemed that the Knights came prepared to lock down Nimes as a slew of defenders were able to deny him the ball. However, Ighalo and Parala managed to keep the Cardinals in the game with timely outside hits and inside incursions. The Cardinals' new guys, Gab Banal and Saitanan, seemed tentative in this ballgame and scored only 5 points between them.

On the Knights' side, Jonathan Belorio was a revelation. I don't have the stats with me, but from where I was sitting, it seemed that he was the most accurate among the Knights yesterday, with medium-range shots being sunk from all over the place. Carlo Lituania was also in sync yesterday, and managed to make up somewhat for the sub-par offensive showing of Mark Cruz.

Of course, Kevin Alas was back to his old slashing, stealing self, finishing the game with 21 points. All in all, a good comeback game for the Knights.

Scores from Inboundpass.com:

Letran 66 - Alas K. 21, Cortes 12, Belorio 12, Racal 8, Lituania 5, Gabawan 4, Alas J. 2, Cruz 2, Pantin 0.

MIT 60 - Parala 15, Ighalo 14, Chien 10, Nimes 7, Banal J. 6, Estrella 3, Saitanan 3, Banal G. 2, Stevens 0.

Quarter scores: 17-16; 31-31; 45-37; 66-60

Where the hell is Raymond Almazan? Is he injured? I haven't even seen him in street clothes. I thought that was him yesterday, except the guy I saw was much shorter and turned out to be RJ Jazul with family in tow. Must have been the chins that threw me.

Last time we spoke I thought he was finally talked into playing full time this season after rampant speculation and some absences in the summer tournaments that led to this rumor that he was not going to play anymore in Season 88.

If that boy is still enrolled then he needs to be reined in and brought back, and it will take more senior Knights to get him to come about, because he is the last vital missing piece that will make Letran a legit title contender.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

^Well, I only have FB feeds from Mac Andaya (from one of the Letran FB groups) to sustain me. And per the feeds, Almazan suffered a relapse from flu and is currently recuperating. Andaya was supposedly helping Andaya and Junjun Alas to up their game, as a support to Coach Louie.
    Last edited by bugleboy; 07-17-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo

^ Sa tantya ko ang pagiging matapang ang tinuturo ni Mac sa mga bagito. Bulaga!

Biro lang bugleboy

Bchoter, saludo ako kay Mac Andaya sa kanyang dedikasyon sa aming alma mater. Kung iyon ang makukuha ng aming mga bagito, mas malayo ang mararating ng aming koponan. At iyan ay 'di biro.

P. S. - Re sa "face value" ni Andaya, sa tingin ko immune na ang mga Letranista diyan.

Wala kang kasama dito bugleboy. Why? Andun silang lahat sa PEX? Encourage them to post here.
    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

^Baka nakulitan sa bagong interface. Naroon silang lahat sa Knights FB page.

Anyway, re the game yesterday, I suppose I should be thankful for the win. But the way we won wasn't very encouraging. Botched free throws, Almazan's continued absence, lack of poise in the end game -- when will this drama end? Yeah, I suppose I should be thankful for the win.

(From ncaa.org.ph - with some editing to change title and to remove grammatical errors)

Knights Slay Generals, 65 - 62

In a game of runs that was decided on the last basket, Letran proved out to be tougher.

The Letran Knights hung on to a 65-62 win against the EAC Generals at the first billing of the first ever out-of-town game held at the San Luis Sports Complex at Sta. Cruz, Laguna. With the win, they officially got their win number three and their first back to back wins in the 88th season of the NCAA.

It was a game of runs which saw both teams engage in huge rallies, including an unbelievable 22-0 rally by Letran to bridge the third and the fourth quarter to take a 58-45 lead after EAC’s 11-0 rally following Remy Morada’s three straight triples in the third. However, the Generals stormed back in the latter moments of the fourth giving the Letran side some tense moments in the end game.

With Letran leading by five, 65-60 with 27 secs to go, Kevin Racal missed two free throws which led to a Russell Yaya layup to cut the Letran lead to a one possession game, 62-65. Kevin Alas was then given the opportunity to ice the game, but also missed two free throws to give the Generals one final shot to push the game into overtime. However, Jan Jamon missed two chances to send the game into overtime, leading to their fifth loss in six games.

Despite the win, Coach Louie Alas wasn’t satisfied with how his wards played in the game

“I still have to figure it (the problem) out. We have to improve several notches higher in order to compete,” Alas said. “We have to play as men, not as boys. The way we played, di pa pang final four.”
    Kevin Alas led Letran with an all around effort of 23 points 6 rebounds and 6 assists and Jam Cortes added 11 points and 12 rebounds for this year’s hosts. Remy Morada led the slumping Generals with 21 points banked on 6 threes while Noube Happi had another impressive outing with 17 points and 14 rebounds.

The Scores:

Letran (65) — K. Alas 23, Cortes 11, Belorio 10, Cruz 8, Racal 6, J. Alas 5, Gabawan 2, Luib 0, Lituania 0, Almario 0, Pantin 0.

EAC (62) — Morada 21, Happi 17, Yaya 10, Chiong 4, Jamon 3, Munsayac 3, Paguia 2, Monteclaro 2, Tayongtong 0, Pillas 0.

Quarterscores: 14-10, 28-29, 49-45, 65-62.
    Last edited by bugleboy; 07-26-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Grammar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast