twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Knights in Season 88

Share/Bookmark

Knights in Season 88

Knights Skewer Stags, 80-74!

I watched this game yesterday on a little TV phone at the departure area of NAIA, because I had the misfortune of having to go out of town on the same day that the NCAA opened. Anyway, I was like a mad man -- pounding the table at every Knight turnover and fist-pumping at every steal and made basket.

It seems that the Knights played possum in the off-season once again and kept the real improvements of Kevin Alas and Jonathan Belorio well under wraps. The good performance of Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal were not surprising, considering that these two (plus Jam Cortes) provided the offense for the Knights during the off-season. The defense was solid, resulting in multiple steals and points off turnovers. Almazan reverted to his old defensive self, swatting away shots and altering quite a few more.

What was worrisome, however, was how SSC was able to fight back in the third quarter, obliterating Letran's 14-point lead and even leading by three to end the quarter. It seemed the boys lost their concentration back there and got a bit over-confident. It's good that adjustments were made in the fourth quarter that Stags were not able to recover from. Sangalang was awesome, though; ditto for Abueva. I was surprised that Coach Topex put in Pascual and chose to stay with him even though he was obviously still not 100%. Whether or not that was a coaching error is something that can be debated. Problema na nila iyon.

Basta sa akin, I'm glad the Knights won. On to the next game! Conquistar por tu honor nuevas glorias!

Congratulations bugleboy. That was a marquee win for Letran, bringing down NCAA's version of the big 3

Thanks, bchoter. But to be fair to Baste, they didn't have the full-strength version of the Big 3. Hopefully, when Pascual gets his mojo back, our Knights will perform just as well.

Altas trim Knights, 62 - 59.

The Letran Knights had all sorts of problems figuring out Perpetual's zone defense before succumbing, 62-59 to the fired up Altas. The Knights appeared to be groping for form from the second quarter onwards, despite taking on intermittent leads in the game. Kevin Alas scattered 15 points, the last three of which was a booming trey that cut the Altas' five-point lead to two, 61-59, seconds left in the game. The Knights then fouled Omorogbe, who made one of two for the final count. The Knights had one final chance to at least salvage a tie to force overtime, but Kevin's three-point attempt rattled off the rim as the buzzer sounded.

Kudos to Perpetual. They really showed that they wanted this game. Jett Vidal, Earl Thompson, Omorogbe and their little PG, Jolangcob all contributed to give the Knights fits. On the other hand, Letran's offense sputtered off and on, with sporadic contributions from Kevin, Belorio, Cortes, Almazan, Racal, and Mark Cruz.

Sigh. I was hoping for a statement win, but apparently, Perpetual had other plans in mind. It seems that Louie Alas was right when he said that this season would be tougher than others because the teams are evenly matched. Still, laban lang. Arriba!

Altas trim Knights, 62 - 59.

The Letran Knights had all sorts of problems figuring out Perpetual's zone defense before succumbing, 62-59 to the fired up Altas. The Knights appeared to be groping for form from the second quarter onwards, despite taking on intermittent leads in the game. Kevin Alas scattered 15 points, the last three of which was a booming trey that cut the Altas' five-point lead to two, 61-59, seconds left in the game. The Knights then fouled Omorogbe, who made one of two for the final count. The Knights had one final chance to at least salvage a tie to force overtime, but Kevin's three-point attempt rattled off the rim as the buzzer sounded.

Kudos to Perpetual. They really showed that they wanted this game. Jett Vidal, Earl Thompson, Omorogbe and their little PG, Jolangcob all contributed to give the Knights fits. On the other hand, Letran's offense sputtered off and on, with sporadic contributions from Kevin, Belorio, Cortes, Almazan, Racal, and Mark Cruz.

Sigh. I was hoping for a statement win, but apparently, Perpetual had other plans in mind. It seems that Louie Alas was right when he said that this season would be tougher than others because the teams are evenly matched. Still, laban lang. Arriba!

Oops, final score was 69-66, not 62-59 as stated above. No matter. Olats pa rin. Bawi na lang.

Chiefs Scalp Knights, 77 - 67

Grrr... The Knights lost all their competent big men -- Almazan to illness, Cortes and Belorio to disqualifying flagrant fouls -- and succumbed to the Arellano Chiefs, 77-67 in the resumption of NCAA MBT hostilities at the Arena in San Juan. The rest of the Knights, including Kevin Alas, Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal, had a miserable time shooting the basket, even from the free-throw line. I think we shot close to 50% on FTs in this game. Come on! I don't know whether this was a lack of concentration, or they just got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning. As for Cortes and Belorio, well, they really should know better than to react to cheap shots with cheap shots of their own.

On the bright side, at least Kevin and Mark Cruz were able to trim the Chiefs' 15-point lead down to 2, with three minutes to go. But then Mark muffs two gift shots, Arellano's Forrester nails a three, and it was all downhill from there.

No excuses here. Arellano simply played better. We played like we wanted to be elsewhere. I sure hope Coach Louie screws the Knights' heads on straight next time we play, or else this is going to be a looooong season for us.

This is a long season and with 15 games more to play win-loss records don't mean much yet, not now anyway. But who is worried about w-l now, nobody I suppose. But... but if anyone is keeping tab of "how" teams are playing, this team is sure not playing to its billing.

With 12 holdovers that included Kevin Alas, Cortes and Cruz, this is a team that is projected to make it to the Finals. But not with the way they are playing.

In yesterday's game... Cortes is supposed to be a veteran, that flagrant foul was stupid. Parang bata, eh beterano na dapat. Then , here is a Kevin Alas who slips at almost every transition. Hindi naman madulas ang sahig. Kevin, don't initiate contact and then find yourself on the floor expecting the refs to whistle and make a call against your man. Just go for the shot.

The way these two are playing, no way Letran should consider themselves contenders.

I wasn't impressed with the win vs Baste because I felt Topex mis-coached in that game, giving Ronald Pascual too much time on the floor when it was clear early on the guy wasn't in game form yet. With Pascual playing that way and still getting long minutes, Baste was like playing 4 against 5. Tatalunin talaga ng Letran.

In yesterday's game, Koy has played enough games vs Louie to know how the Knights would play. Validating this was level-headed play of the Chiefs.

Bugleboy is correct, yung tornilyo ng players ay dapat mahigpitan ni Louie.

Pero, gagawin o magagawa ba yan ni Louie? The demeanor of the Knights these past 3 games is consistent with how they have played all these years with him as head coach.

Just let go of Alas at the end of the season. Nakakasawa na.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

You write well Bugleboy. Kudos! I sense a good upbringing as well derived from your family and from your school. I wish the rest of your peers will be more active and expunge the few rotten ones that are smearing your centuries-old institution. Continue living the true arriba. Animo!

@Oca, well, I'm not panicking yet, even with the Knights' loss yesterday. But I guess what is evident at this point is that we have a rather shallow bench so if something happens to the main bigs (like Cortes, Almazan and Belorio), then the others will not be able to carry the team. I agree with you about Kevin Alas. He consistently slips, slides, and loses the ball at the slightest nudge. He really can handle the ball better than that. Methinks he's just trying to make it appear that contact has been made to fish for a foul. Unfortunately for him, the refs aren't biting. Re Cortes, amen to that.

@Stardust, thanks for the compliment. Re rotten apples, well, there will always be a few in every school. But we can always hope for the best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast