twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nonito Donaire

Share/Bookmark

Nonito Donaire

he's one of only 12 boxers in history to have won titles in 4 different weight classes so he definitely deserves his own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fujima04
    Nonito Donaire Jr. won a split decision over Wilfredo Vasquez Jr.

It should have been a unanimous decision for Donaire. I wonder what fight did one of the Judge Ruben Garcia watched.
    the guy scored it 115-112 for vasquez. it would have been ridiculous to score it 115-112 for donaire let alone the other way around. the fight wasn't even close.

i'm afraid though that nonito might have maxed himself out at 122. he hit vasquez with some good head shots yet couldn't finish him off. some of those hits would have put lighter weight opponents to sleep. he's still good enough to clean out the division, unify all major titles. dunno if the bobfather will allow it though. unifying titles if just not economically attractive anymore, considering that everytime you fight you have to pay sanctioning fees to every governing body involved. and arum's a businessman before anything else.

still, donaire vs nishioka and rigondeaux would be interesting. i doubt if nishioka will fight nonito considering how evasive japanese champs are against quality opponents.

then maybe he can gun for one last title at 126, face off against juanma lopez, omar salido, jmm conqueror chris john or gerry penalosa victim jhonny gonzales in big money fights. but larry merchant said it best, if nonito wants to continue knocking out opponents at higher weights, he needs to invest more in body shots. against vasquez, he kept looking for that one shot knockout punch.

Re: Nonito Donaire

yup, but later it was revealed he avoided throwing body blows because he already hurt his left hand. kaya ang nangyari, he kept trying to finish vazquez with one punch instead of left-right combinations. he's got to do something with those brittle fists if he wants to keep fighting.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

what's up with this guy's family? They actually said that they were hoping for him to lose his last fight? That's messed up!

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/pacquiao-gi...025122567.html

(sorry if parang tsismis yung dating, i'll refrain posting similar post here if ever)
    LIKE the RED LIONS on facebook http://www.facebook.com/SanBedaCollegeRedLions

one word: MONEY.

yan ang pinagmulan ng away nilang mag-a-ama. when rachel marcial, who is now nonito jr's wife, entered the boxer's life, she discovered how utterly messed up his financial situation was to the point that he had nothing left despite winning all those fights. ang nangyayari daw, according to rachel, kumukuha ng 90 percent cut sa winnings ang ama dahil, una, anak naman daw nya si junior at ikalawa, sya naman daw ang nagturo at nagpapa-ensayo kay junior. so she put a stop to this perverted "utang na loob" arrangement between senior and junior, which put a strain on their relationship. despite ongoing attempts for them to reconcile, by all indications they haven't made nice yet to each other.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

actually nonito replied about this already. he categorically states that he doesn't know these people. he said all 4 of his grandparents on both sides of his family have already passed away.

Mares calls out Donaire for another unification bout

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 07/09/2012 5:50 PM | Updated as of 07/09/2012 5:50 PM

MANILA, Philippines – World Boxing Council (WBC) super bantamweight champion Abner Mares believes he is capable of giving a good fight to Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire, who on Saturday unified two super bantamweight belts.

Donaire defeated Jeffrey Mathebula of South Africa to defend his WBO super bantamweight belt, and at the same time annex Mathebula's IBF championship.

Mares, who watched the fight live at the Home Depot Center in California, commended Donaire for a skillful display.

"He showed a lot. He's always known for being skillful. He knows how to use the ring," Mares told Boxing Scene.*

"But I think I could give him a good fight," he added.

A bout between Donaire and Mares will give the Filipino boxer a chance to add another super bantamweight belt to his collection. Donaire has made no secret of his plan to collect all the belts at the weight class, as he aims to be the undisputed champion at super bantamweight.

Mares noted that Donaire "got hit a lot" by Mathebula, as the Filipino champion was often at the receiving end of stiff jabs from the South African.

"(He got hit with) a lot of shots that he wasn't supposed to," Mares said.

"It's a future fight. We definitely are willing to fight this guy, and we want this fight. We're definitely going to study him," he added.

But Mares knows that there is a major roadblock to a potential fight against Donaire: he is promoted by Golden Boy, while Donaire is signed with Top Rank.

The two companies are currently having trouble working with each other, as exemplified by their failure to put together a mega-fight between boxing’s pound-for-pound kings Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

"I think it can be worked out," Mares said. "To my belief, I think it should be the first Top Rank-Golden Boy fight that should be made."

"Let's ask for the promoters to come to an agreement," he added.

Mares said Donaire had a "great performance" against Mathebula, even though he failed to get a knockout victory. Donaire did send Mathebula to the canvas towards the end of the fourth round.

"I think he wants to demonstrate that he still has that KO power at this weight class. But then again, he didn't get the knockout," Mares said. "But a great performance by him."
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Japanese champ willing to fight Donaire in US

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 07/09/2012 8:09 PM | Updated as of 07/09/2012 8:09 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Japanese boxer Toshiaki Nishioka is willing to go to the United States just to fight unified IBF and WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire.

Speaking with Boxing Scene, the Japanese star confirmed that he wants to fight Donaire sometime later this year.

“Yes, that’s what I want. I’ve been waiting for a year. I have no problems doing the fight in the US,” he said.

Nishioka, who holds a record of 39 wins, four losses and three draws, has fought in the United States only three times in his career, most recently in October 2011, when he decisioned Rafael Marquez to retain the WBC super bantamweight belt.

Nishioka has since been named the WBC’s “emeritus champion” in the division, but remains one of the top contenders.

Nishioka was at ringside to watch Donaire outpoint Jeffrey Mathebula of South Africa to unify the IBF and WBO super bantamweight belts, and he later commended “The Filipino Flash” for a good performance against a tough foe.

“He showed a different style tonight, because he was fighting a much taller opponent,” Nishioka said, referring to Mathebula’s five-inch height advantage over Donaire. “But he showed a different style and found a way to get inside.”

Donaire is also angling for a bout against Nishioka, saying in an interview after the fight that the Japanese boxer was still the best in the super bantamweight division.

"I believe I have to beat him in order for me to be the best. I believe he's the best in the division until I fight him and prove which one is best between us," Donaire said after his fight.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

i hate it when nonito turns into a brawler and looks for a 1-punch knockout. he's too much of a stylist, his game too beautiful, to engage lesser fighters in a slugfest. but if opponents don't want to engage then sometimes nonito has no choice but to chase. jorge arce will be a good opponent. he has no title to offer but will definitely not run away. rigondeaux's highly-skilled but with nonito's power he'll just run all over him.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Donaire nabs RING's 2012 Fighter of the Year award

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 12/31/2012 9:20 PM | Updated as of 12/31/2012 9:20 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Four-division champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire Jr. added another feather in his cap by clinching The RING Magazine’s 2012 Fighter of the Year award for his impressive wins the past year.

Donaire, who had a successful campaign as a super bantamweight in 2012, was the fans’ top choice, garnering 55.2% in RingTV.com’s year-end polls.

"The 30-year-old veteran fought four times in 2012 and in the process of doing so the former flyweight and bantamweight titleholder established himself as the best 122-pound fighter on the planet, as well as the Fighter of the Year in the eyes of the fans who took part in RingTV.com’s year-end awards poll,” reported RING editor Doug Fischer.

The California-based Filipino bested Juan Manuel Marquez, who got 27.3% of the fan votes.

Fischer said Marquez may have knocked Manny Pacquiao out in what many considered as the Fight of the Year, but he said fight fans saw Donaire accomplishing more than Marquez inside and outside the ring.

Donaire’s accomplishments include his victories over Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., Jeffrey Mathebula, Toshiaki Nishioka and Jorge Arce.

Fischer said the Filipino was the busiest among today’s elite fighters.

“Elite fighters – those precious few who fans and boxing media view as the pound-for-pound best, seldom fight more than twice a year. Donaire was the exception to that rule in 2012,” he said.

Adding to credibility was Donaire’s stance on drug testing.

The Filipino Flash became the first boxer to voluntarily undergo year-round random drug testing at a time when performance enhancing drugs use has reportedly become rampant in boxing.

“Donaire, who doesn’t require that his opponents undergo the same testing and makes the results of his drug tests public, was commended by fans and media alike in 2012, the year that performance-enhancing drug use became a hot-button issue in the sport after Lamont Peterson, Andre Berto, Antonio Tarver and Erik Morales were each found to have banned substances in their bodies either prior to or after major fights,” said Fischer.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Donaire doubtful of fighting Mares, Rigondeaux next

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 01/06/2013 8:54 PM | Updated as of 01/06/2013 8:54 PM

MANILA, Philippines – World super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire is doubtful that his next opponent will be fellow titleholders Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba or Abner Mares of Mexico.

After fighting four times in 2012 and winning numerous Fighter of the Year awards, Donaire wants to stay active in 2013 and plans to return to the ring in March or April.

But “The Filipino Flash” told Dennis Guillermo of Examiner that it is unlikely he will face Rigondeaux or Mares for his first fight of the year.

“We have Mares, that’s the fight we really want to make, but (negotiations are) getting difficult,” Donaire told Guillermo.

“With Rigondeaux, he won’t fight until June or July or something like that. They won’t do it in March or April. We’re looking at that schedule,” he added.

Donaire told Guillermo that they will have to consider other opponents as their top two options are not available.

“We’re looking at different names now, because those two are not available earlier in the year. They’re not available,” he said. “With Mares, we want to make it happen, but it’s too difficult, and Rigondeaux doesn’t want to fight in March.”

In 2012, Donaire defeated Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. via split decision in February, then defeated South African boxer Jeffrey Mathabula via unanimous decision in July.

He then stopped to Japanese fight Toshiaki Nishioka in the ninth round of their October clash, before knocking out good friend Jorge Arce in the third round in December.

Both Nishioka and Arce announced their retirements after losing to Donaire.

+ Reply to Thread