twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recruitment: the ills and the thrills

Share/Bookmark

Re: Recruitment: the ills and the thrills

To my knowledge it would at the very least be difficult for a school to claim any breach of contract from a guy who decides to transfer out of his school to play for another school.

If the guy was offered allowances, free tuition, free books and uniforms, to play varsity ball for a school, and he does eventually play varsity ball, then that contract is already perfected.

This is just like a regular academic scholarship isn't it? A guy is getting free tuition and other support from the school if he maintains a certain high grade average. If he fails to maintain it then he loses his scholarship, but I have never heard of the school asking guys like that to return their free tuition. I think this is the same even when this kid decides to transfer to a better school if that better school offers him a better scholarship deal and better opportunities.

Kunwari BS Nursing kinukuha niya sa St Francis, tapos binigyan siya ng better offer ng UST, at lumipat siya sa UST, hindi naman pinipigilan ang student na 'yon, hindi din pinasosoli sa student na 'yon ang lahat ng "nagastos" na ng St Francis. Bakit kung kunwari si Rex Leynes ang lilipat ng school kulang na lang ikadena sa gate ng SFAC si Leynes...?
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

I checked the Revised Penal Code and all the penal laws. WALANG BATAS, according to my search, NA NAGPAPARUSA SA MGA GUMAGAWA NG ILLEGAL RECRUITMENT SCHEMES. Best ways may be is for the PSC to adopt its own rules to protect the interest of amateur (including varsity players) from these activities. Its within their power to do so pero di sila pwede magpakulong. ADMINISTRATIVE SANCTIONS lang kaya nila gawin (through the help of DepEd). The different school athletic associations could also make rules but having a unified rules applying to all all schools and sports nationwide is better.

On the other hand, there are provisions in the Civil Code VOIDING CONTRACTS CONTRARY TO MORALS, PUBLIC CUSTOMS and PUBLIC POLICY. Meaning these "informal" and "private" contracts (papahuli ka ba naman) could be not be enforced, to the prejudice of the schools.

"The end justifies the means"-from Machiavelli? Nope.  :D

National rules and regulation? Para na din nating sinabing mag-isang liga na lang kayo.

We do not have problems with rules. The real problem? RULE MAKERS who are themselves the RULE BREAKERS who make and break rules as they please. Walang solusyon diyan.

Matira matibay na lang mga pare ko. Pahabaan na lang ng pisi.
    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Mahirap ata i regulate yan recruitment na yan. maraming paraan ang mga schools na may resources.

Mga gusto siguro magkaroon ng rules sa recruitment yung mga schools na hindi kaya sumabay sa mga offers.

Pero may mga na uuto pa naman at naliligaw ng landas papunta sa mga schools na yan. May sariling diskarte rin naman ang mga schools na can't afford. Pinapangakuan ng playing time na hindi mabibigay ng ibang schools kasi nga loaded ang mga schools na galante at may supporters. Pati nga kapatid na binubusog sa ibang paraan na pwede nila magawa.

Ang mga gumagawa kasi ng rules sa mga liga naghahanap rin ng paraan kung pano makikinabang ang school nila, hindi yung para sa kabutihan ng lahat.

Isn't the whole point of recruitment to make your team truly unbeatable, maybe even build a dynasty? UE won seven straight UAAP titles. UM won five straight NAASCU titles. I'm not too sure who holds the record in the NCAA. Recruitment practices are actually the real issue here, i.e. what constitutes "reasonable" for a college player.

I totally agree with Joe on the need for legislation, since trusting the leagues to clean this thing up is like asking the Mob to police their own ranks. Joe's proposed legislation sounds good, and its not like the leagues can stop the plenary power of Congress to legislate "anything under the sun" as Fr Bernas likes to say. I also agree that a college player, no matter how talented, should not be making more than minimum wage.

As Danny pointed out though, in this day and age pahabaan na lang talaga ng pisi ang labanan.

The Lower and the Upper Houses may propose new laws on varsity recruitment but the main problem lies on the enforcement and implementation of such laws.

Our (dis)Honorable solons and senators are mostly alumni of those universities who are engaging in "bidding wars" for blue-chip recruits. Now do you honestly think they will risk their school's bragging rights and a backlash from their co-alumni just to level the playing field?

It's only in the Philippines where you can find people value their school loyalty than their nationalistic pride.

OA na yata kung pati Legislative branch ay sumali pa sa pag resolve ng problema.

Outside the school leagues, SBP is the most appropriate body to get involve. Other than the SBP, maybe DepEd and CHED considering scholarships are part and parcel of the recruitment process. Kung wala sa mga paaralan ang titindig para pangalagaan ang kapakanan ng naa-argabyadong student-athletes, imo, pwede pumasok ang DepEd at CHED.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

Report makes case for paying players
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...th-six-figures

Quote Originally Posted by bchoter
    Report makes case for paying players
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...th-six-figures
    The revenue sharing raised in the article/report for the benefit of the players is not applicable to us here, imo.

Una, maliit ang market, I doubt if there is much revenue to share.

Ikalawa, if we are to believe that the basketball competition generates much revenue for the league and the schools, I know for a fact that revenues from basketball subsidizes the holding of other sports.

Imagine how much expense is entailed in holding the track and field events, swimming, tae kwon do, etc. and all the events in the Junior competition. Revenues from the 1st competition of the season helps in providing money to finance the staging of other events for the rest of the season-- kulang pa.

One reason why basketball will never be scheduled in the second semester, as some had suggested so it wont conflict with the FIBA calendar when most tournaments coincide with the 1st semester, because the revenues provide money to ease the financial burden on the season host.

Some may say, nariyan na rin ang women's volleyball generating money for the league, in the case of the UAAP.

Well, until there is solid proof that money from basketball and volleyball has a surplus in the context of money required to host a season, then maybe we can revisit and adapt this report.

Now, if someone says that it is unfair for basketball players (and female v-ball players in the UAAP) to be generating revenues for the rest of the league and yet get no more than the usual scholarship, free meals and quarters; the moment they get more than that I'm sure it will trigger a strike-- at least a protest-- from the academic personnel of the schools.

That will be one bigger issue.

Pero sa totoo lang, kung meron dapat mag-alsa boses kung malaki nga ang kinikita ng liga, walang iba kung di mga boosters. Collectively, they spend more for this well financed teams. Yet, what do they get in return? Not much actually-- free tickets on choice seats? Yet, the schools benefit the most from it and the school reps/ administrators enjoy the perks.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

^ Volleyball games? I doubt it kung may kita sila though I could say the price of tickets is too high. Maybe to cover the games and air it on TV. Just watch a game (except for those big games) and you see how small is the volleyball's audience. Compare to basketball which has expand in years.

Maiba naman po tayo. In the past we are talking of the bad side of recruitment. Let's talk about the other side. The thrilling part.

Here is a story on how Rico Maierhoffer got recruited for the DLSU. This is one of the approach in recruitment that DLSU had done in recent years. Establish a good program so blue chips will flock them. But apparently they have problems with this in recent years:

Conceit, Controversy and Rico Maierhofer
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 17:42:00 01/30/2010

Maierhofer had no plans of leaving Puerto Galera until a Manila-based cousin convinced him to try out for the La Salle basketball team after another UAAP school recruited him.

I had no idea about the colleges in Manila, says Maierhofer. I was a walk-in in La Salle.

Maierhofer says he didn't even know then La Salle coach Franz Pumaren, who has steered the Green Archers to numerous collegiate championships.

I was with my mom when I went to the tryouts. I first approached the ball boy because I thought he was the coach, Maierhofer recalls, laughing. I came in wearing surfing shorts and a sleeveless top. I was wearing a beach attire with rubber shoes.

But Maierhofer's height and skills stood out. He was invited to the team?s training for the next five days, before he even took La Salle's entrance exams.

I really studied and reviewed for it because I wanted to pass, says Maierhofer. I came in for the exam and saw everyone in long sleeves and pants. I came in wearing my tryout clothes. I didn?t have long pants even in high school. Kasi ganoon talaga porma namin sa Puerto, pati pang-simba namin ganoon din [That's how we dress up in Puerto, even for church]. I was really a beach boy who had no idea [about city life].

"The end justifies the means"-from Machiavelli? Nope.  :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast