Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Archers MBT Season 74

Share/Bookmark

Re: Green Archers MBT Season 74

Quote Originally Posted by izon
    Quote Originally Posted by emenk
    http://www.greenarch...coaching-staff/

FORMER NBA 3-POINT KING JOINS GREEN ARCHERS' COACHING STAFF

The De La Salle Green Archers will be enlisting the services of former NBA three-point shootout champion Tim Legler as part of their coaching staff starting next UAAP season. According to team management, Legler will serve as the teamís shooting coach.

An 11-year NBA Veteran, Legler played for 6 different teams averaging 43% from beyond the arc. He ranks fourth in the all-time list for three-point accuracy. He also had career averages of 45% from the field and 84% from the foul line. He won the 1996 NBA three-point contest while playing for the Washington Bullets.

Itís also interesting to point out that Legler is also a La Sallian as he attented La Salle University in Philadelphia. He was an academic All-American while playing for the Explorers.

Legler will be arriving next month after he finishes his commitments with ESPN. His experience and knowledge will be a welcome addition to the Green Archers as they gear up for this coming UAAP Season
    Wow ! Nag le level up ang Archers, ha.
    Naku kuryenteng news yata ito ! April fool !

si chip engelland (?) na lang kunin.

Here is how I see the Season 74 roster for Lasalle:

Norbert Torres LA Revilla Joseph Marata
    Arnold Van Opstal Roldan Sara Joshua Webb
    Papot Paredes Almond Vosotros Jarelan Tampus
    Yutien Andrada Simon Atkins Louie Vigil
    Ponso Gotladera Luigi Dela Paz
    Jovet Mendoza
    Maui Villanueva

Elorde, Reyes, Herrera, Pate, ironically all talented homegrown boys, will most likely be the odd men out. If it were up to me I'd take Pate over Vigil since Pate is a quicker and stronger athlete, perfect for the up-tempo and full court pressing systems of Dindo Pumaren. As good as Vigil is (former NCAA Juniors MVP) he isn't particularly quick nor instinctive, seems to want to think everything through and moves in virtual slo-mo, which to me seems anachronistic on a Dindo Pumaren team.

Quote Originally Posted by shyboy
    Jason Ligad, 2nd in scoring behind Jeron Teng in the recent Tiong Lian, 2nd also in 3-point and FT percentage.
    Jason Ligad to me is more like the second coming of another former St Jude player: Karl Cua, who I believe also matriculated to Lasalle but never played varsity ball.

Ligad is a stone scorer, but I wouldn't quite put him in the same league as Renren Ritualo. Ritualo, even as a Red Cub, had a very quick trigger and a beautiful stroke. Ligad is more of a snap-shooter and volume shooter, i.e. he takes a lot of shots to make some shots, and Tiong Lian competition might not be the best gauge of how a player will turn out in the UAAP senior division.

Ligad will have to work extra hard to dislodge any of the incumbents as well as any of the in-waiting players to make Lasalle's UAAP roster. He might need to upgrade his handles, passing and recognition, try to facilitate more and play more decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel
    Quote Originally Posted by shyboy
    Jason Ligad, 2nd in scoring behind Jeron Teng in the recent Tiong Lian, 2nd also in 3-point and FT percentage.
    Jason Ligad to me is more like the second coming of another former St Jude player: Karl Cua, who I believe also matriculated to Lasalle but never played varsity ball.

Ligad is a stone scorer, but I wouldn't quite put him in the same league as Renren Ritualo. Ritualo, even as a Red Cub, had a very quick trigger and a beautiful stroke. Ligad is more of a snap-shooter and volume shooter, i.e. he takes a lot of shots to make some shots, and Tiong Lian competition might not be the best gauge of how a player will turn out in the UAAP senior division.

Ligad will have to work extra hard to dislodge any of the incumbents as well as any of the in-waiting players to make Lasalle's UAAP roster. He might need to upgrade his handles, passing and recognition, try to facilitate more and play more decoy.
    well volume shooter he is simply because the team's load is usually on his shoulder and he is usually the go-to guy for them but the percentage is quite high as well so that has to count for something. If you're asking for hard work players who have played under Coach Goldwin Monteverde are clearly known for that trait anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by easter
    A question that I have with the new emphasis of the Archers on height, how will this affect the pressing game? Of all the big men out there only Andrada it seems who has the speed and agility in a full court press.
    Easter, I moved our discussion to this thread... My take is that we'll need to wait and see how they fit into the Dindo's gameplay. Either they start running laps or Dindo designs a new set of plays that will capitalize on their height. Yutien definitely has the hands (length) and speed to intercept the passes during the press. The 1st game vs UST wasn't enough to see the potential of this team and most of the taller players only started playing with the team for just a few weeks.

On the other hand, I think the added height is also a defensive measure since the in the previous years one of our problems is defending against good 4-5s -- Add to UST/FEU having a preference for tall 2-3s. Though last year saw DLSU play good team/gang rebound, they still had difficulty with forcing bigger players to change their shots. Only Papot has been consistent among the bigs in doing this.

I still hope to see DLSU focus on defense as in the last years but also focus on good shot selection by adding opportunities for the high percentage shots.
    ---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

^ A team insider explained something to me after the UST game in Fil Oil: Villanueva got over nine boards per game in 27 minutes last season, third-best in the UAAP I think, while Mendoza got nearly seven rebounds in 14 minutes, making Mendoza the more efficient rebounder.

Apparently Coach Pumaren is trying to find a perfect small forward candidate among his bigs. While Yutien Andrada has the quickness, length and agility to block shots and fill the lanes, he doesn't have the shooting or the strength to haul in big rebounding numbers. Villanueva is a strong rebounder but those funky mechanics clearly show he is no shooter or scorer. Mendoza can shoot some but is not a natural shooter, but he can clearly rebound, score some around the basket, run a little as well, play the baseline action too.

In this trio, it looks like Mendoza will be the lead 3. Villanueva and Andrada need to figure out how to contribute in other areas if and when Mendoza takes their minutes as a 3/4. With Torres, Gotladera and Van Opstal no aboard, Villanueva and Andrada won't be getting heavy minutes at the 5 and 4 spots. With whatever minutes they do get, they need to come up with some kind of new wrinkles to their games or they may just wind up getting cups of coffee in between stretches on the benches. This already happened in the Fr Martin Cup Open Division. It might be a sign of things to come in Season 74.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Thanks Joe

That's what was going in my mind as well. It's going to be a bit crowded on 5 especially with Papot, Arnold and Norbert. Norbert though is showing he can shoot and Dindo has given him the green light when open. I've always had high respect for Maui especially that he does the things that no regular player would do like rebound, dive, etc. but I've always hoped for a little more point production from him.

If coach is finding the right combination to play big -- it will really depend on the situation -- if he wants to press with a bigger team, i'd think that Yutien would be the right option. If he wants a little offense or enforcer, I think Maui or Jovet would fill in the post. But these guys would then have to contend with the established 3 players in the team - Joshua, Sam, Luigi. Unless these guys slide down to 2, then there would be a heck of a log jam on 1!

I guess it's a pleasant and tough problem for coach which will hopefully reap benefits in 4 months.

---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

Adding a bit to what Boss Sam said regarding Jason Ligad, we were there when Karl Cua was the superstar for St Jude, and it looks like Ligad is a poor man's version of Cua indeed. Ligad is probably closer to 5'9" than his listed height of 5'11", which means he'll need to figure out how to play more 1 than 2 if he wants to be a Green Archer. His ability to shoot is unquestioned. It is however the other aspects of guard play that he needs to work on. He is not as well-built, as strong and as athletically gifted as Jeron Teng, which will make his transition into the college game a little harder. He might be better served keeping Organ, Gallarza, Ridge et al company in Fr Martin tournaments to better develop his game.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Quote Originally Posted by Joescoundrel
    ^ A team insider explained something to me after the UST game in Fil Oil: Villanueva got over nine boards per game in 27 minutes last season, third-best in the UAAP I think, while Mendoza got nearly seven rebounds in 14 minutes, making Mendoza the more efficient rebounder.

Apparently Coach Pumaren is trying to find a perfect small forward candidate among his bigs. While Yutien Andrada has the quickness, length and agility to block shots and fill the lanes, he doesn't have the shooting or the strength to haul in big rebounding numbers. Villanueva is a strong rebounder but those funky mechanics clearly show he is no shooter or scorer. Mendoza can shoot some but is not a natural shooter, but he can clearly rebound, score some around the basket, run a little as well, play the baseline action too.

In this trio, it looks like Mendoza will be the lead 3. Villanueva and Andrada need to figure out how to contribute in other areas if and when Mendoza takes their minutes as a 3/4. With Torres, Gotladera and Van Opstal no aboard, Villanueva and Andrada won't be getting heavy minutes at the 5 and 4 spots. With whatever minutes they do get, they need to come up with some kind of new wrinkles to their games or they may just wind up getting cups of coffee in between stretches on the benches. This already happened in the Fr Martin Cup Open Division. It might be a sign of things to come in Season 74.
    in my opinion, the perfect 3 for dindo's system is brian organ. with his skill set, he could just slide right in and hit the floor running. but he probably is one or two seasons away from actually playing in the UAAP?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast