twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Donaire vs. Montiel

Share/Bookmark

Re: Donaire vs. Montiel

thanks for the videos, mik!

one thing that grabs your attention is the compactness of donaire's left hook, very much like a check swing in golf. it's astounding how much power he generates with that check motion. in contrast, look at how darchinyan swings his arms way back. kitang-kita tuloy, parang tren na galing bicol na parating na ng tutuban station ;D
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

^Kaya pala 'check hook' ang tawag ni Roy Jones Jr. Donaire also knocked down Sidorenko in the third round with the same left hook. Gawa ako mamaya gif nun, wala ako mahanap sa internet eh. ;D

Congrats Nonito! Here's hoping for more Pinoy champ boxers.
    "Every person must, in the exercise of his rights and in the performance of his duties, act with justice, give everyone his due, and observe honesty and good faith."

Best left hook in the world feat. Wladimir Sidorenko:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    thanks for the videos, mik!

one thing that grabs your attention is the compactness of donaire's left hook, very much like a check swing in golf. it's astounding how much power he generates with that check motion. in contrast, look at how darchinyan swings his arms way back. kitang-kita tuloy, parang tren na galing bicol na parating na ng tutuban station ;D
    One word to describe Donaire's left hook: brutal.
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

We are familiar with the phrase "reflex action". Ito yung natural, instantaneous at involuntary action na ginagawa natin in response to something.

First time I saw that left hook was in the Sidorenko fight. All the while I thought it was an "opportunistic punch". Open ang kalaban sa left hook, sige bigyan ng left hook. But after seeing the Montiel fight and the Darchinyan video posted by Mikhail, it is clear to me that left hook is as natural as the blinking of the eyes.

Tignan niyo yung angle ng katawan mula sa bewang, yung pagpihit ng mga balikat kasabay sa direction ng kamao--- Iisa! Identical!

Parang reflex action lang ni Donaire yung pagbitaw ng left hook. It is triggered when an opponent releases a right punch that exposes the head on the same side, or when an opponent lunges to deliver a blow. Basta nasilip na walang depensa yung kanang bahagi ng mukha ng kalaban agarang nakakarating sa kaliwang kamao yung mensahe --- BOOM!

May nagrehistro sa mga mata, na-process sa utak at rumesponde ang kaliwa! All in a spilt of a second!

Until we see another compilation of left hooks by another fighter, we can say that Donaire's left hook is the most lethal among active fighters. Pwede ring sabihin, it is pound-for-pound the best left hook in boxing now.

Pero di pa ako tuwirang bilid kay Donaire. Question mark pa rin if he can take a punch. He is tall for this lower divisions and with a good jab, he has kept opponents at a distance. When he moves up in weight and take on opponents who are as tall or taller than him, that jab will not be as effective. Until makita natin siyang mapuruhan and see how he responds and recovers, we can't tell for sure if he has what it takes to be among the best.

Pero kung yung left hook lang ang pag-uuspan-- it has the making of a legend.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

^^ frankly, i don't know fully well, pero kung babalikan mo yung video ni sidorenko at montiel, you would notice that donaire uncorked his compact left hook after he got hit with his opponents' right hand. kumbaga, he would gladly trade hits because that's the style of counterpunchers, especially a quick one like him.

the one time, though, that i knew he got banged up pretty badly was the fight against mexico's oscar andrade, who officially weighed in at 125 pounds to donaire's 115, for the NABF superflyweight title--which donaire won via unanimous decision. on fight night, andrade ballooned to 130 pounds. of course, ginamit na lang ni donaire yung bilis nya laban kay andrade kaya di rin masyado makatama ang mexicano, but the few times he got hit, i could see the wind getting knocked out of nonito. at any rate, andrade was in a no-win situation having lost it at the weighing scale, kaya talagang baragan na lang ng kaluluwa ang habol nya. dun ko nakita yung defensive side ni donaire.

^ on fight night montiel weighed 134 to nonito's 126. you can offset an 8-pound difference in the heavier weights like welter and middleweight but in the lighter weights, an 8-pound difference is HUGE.

montiel's known as one of the hardest hitters in the lighter weights. remember that he TKOd durable jap champion hozumi hasegawa in 4 rounds. then he destroyed rafael concepcion, whom nonito beat by UD, in 3 rounds. when monitel connected with a solid right to nonito's jaw, i was astonished that the flash didn't stagger or even flinch. nonito proved his granite chin in this bout.

also, nonito won despite being picked by teddy atlas to win. atlas has become legendary with his he pre-fight predictions like barrera over pac, hatton over pac, margarito over pac, zab judah over floyd, dela hoya over floyd, margarito over mosley, cotto over margarito, chris byrd over wlad klitschko and many many more. atlas should write nonito a check.

Donaire should now be considered the no. 2 the P4P list. Nonito dominated the best bantamweight in the world. JMM struggled with Katsidis and Baby Bull Diaz while he is more skilled than Sergio Martinez. great job Nonito!

My dad was the only individual I personally know that was so sure Donaire would win but neither of us expected it to be that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by yungha
    ... nonito won despite being picked by teddy atlas to win. atlas has become legendary with his he pre-fight predictions like barrera over pac, hatton over pac, margarito over pac, zab judah over floyd, dela hoya over floyd, margarito over mosley, cotto over margarito, chris byrd over wlad klitschko and many many more. atlas should write nonito a check.
    OT: teddy atlas has become the biggest source of amusement among boxing fans. i think he should stop commentating on ESPN and instead concentrate on training up-and-coming fighters. on the other hand, let him be ;D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast