twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: no longer NU (DWNU-FM 107.5 mHz +RIP)

Share/Bookmark

no longer NU (DWNU-FM 107.5 mHz +RIP)

it was with some bit of sadness that i learned about the demise of NU-107, the home of new rock. i had been listening to the station especially during its early years, and was thankful of the effort it had put into discovering and promoting new local talent. bands like the eraserheads, parokya ni edgar, chicosci, and itchyworms (to name a few) i think owe a part of their success to NU and atom henares, the man responsible for what was at the time a bold new format.

unfortunately, its cutting-edge format could not be sustained. i for one migrated back to 99.5 RT (which i started out listening to back in grade 6 because a classmate whose family at the time owned the station promoted it shamelessly ;D -- pero OK lang; i've been more or less a loyal listener for the last 32 friggin' years!) but would occasionally listen to NU from time to time. all the old rockers grew up, had families, started having children, ergo, none of the usual fare of NU could be playing around the house with the kids around.

of course, new generations of rockers should have come around. the format is always new and therefore should appeal to the each younger set every year. why that didn't happen is beyond me, and NU, like anyone who plays in a merciless market, probably floundered and eventually, slipped beneath the waves.

but for what it was worth, it was a great way to get to the new music. still, whether the NU diehards care to admit it or not, they targeted essentially the same social strata as RT. so i'm certain if on some days i wanna check out the new music, i know where to go.

thanks, NU, for the last 23 years. i didn't listen always, but at least i can say i listened to its last song (which by the way was the e-heads' "huling el bimbo" -- how apropos).
    When a religious scheme is shattered (as Christianity was shattered at the Reformation), it is not merely the vices that are let loose. The vices are, indeed, let loose, and they wander and do damage. But the virtues are let loose also. - G.K.Chesterton, Orthodoxy
    Dominus vobiscum

Re: no longer NU (DWNU-FM 107.5 mHz +RIP)

Di ba DZRJ yung pinapakinggan mo nun pards? :-P

^pards, that was wwaaaaayyy before my time -- RJ-AM that is. RJ-FM is still very much around, but...
    When a religious scheme is shattered (as Christianity was shattered at the Reformation), it is not merely the vices that are let loose. The vices are, indeed, let loose, and they wander and do damage. But the virtues are let loose also. - G.K.Chesterton, Orthodoxy
    Dominus vobiscum

http://www.digradio.ph

The remnants of NU have gone online.
    Defining John Paul is an exercise in futility...

+ Reply to Thread