Thread: Philippine Football (Soccer) News

Share/Bookmark

Re: Philippine Football (Soccer) News

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...world-football

Paulino Alcantara: RP legend in world football

By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: July 11, 2010

ILOILO CITY—As the World Cup fever nears its climax in South Africa, basketball-crazy Filipinos should know that they have a hero to inspire them to switch to football as a national passion.

And it’s not the great Pelé of Brazil, Argentinian legend Diego Maradona or the current world top player Lionel Messi, also of Argentina, or heartthrob Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal.

Long before these heroes burst into the global football scene, there was Iloilo-born Paulino Alcantara.

Alcantara, born to a Spanish military officer and an Ilongga mother on Oct. 7, 1896, is considered to be one of the sport’s legends, especially in Spain.

While he is largely unknown to Filipinos and even Ilonggos, he is revered in the world football community with tributes and memorial sites devoted to him in the Internet.

‘‘He may be unknown even to the young players, but he is an icon to many of us,” said Pablito Araneta, also from Iloilo and former vice president of the Philippine Football Federation (PFF), which groups around 35 football associations in the country.

Alcantara scored an astonishing 357 goals in as many games played, or an average of one goal per game, as a striker of the Futbol Club Barcelona (Barcelona Football Club) where he played from 1912 to 1927, according to the club’s website.

Barcelona star

He also helped Barcelona, one of the top clubs in the current Spanish league, win five Spanish championships and 10 Catalan League championships, the first professional football league in Spain during that period.

His strength was legendary. Medium built and lacking the physique of a professional athlete, he, nevertheless, earned the title “El Romperedes (Net Breaker)” on April 30, 1922, after a powerful kick 35 yards from the goal ripped the net in a game between Spain and France.

‘‘For many years after, children from Barcelona would recall that moment and would wish to do the same as the man from the Philippines,” according to Alcantara’s profile in the FC Barcelona website.

Except for online accounts, however, there is little information on Alcantara and his family.

Araneta said a research conducted by PFF in 2007 during the commemoration of the centennial of Philippine football showed that Alcantara’s father was a Spanish military officer stationed in Iloilo. Other accounts identified his mother as surnamed Riestrá.

No official records

Ilonggo historian and lawyer Rex Salvilla said he has not come across official records of Alcantara and his family, which could explain why he is not well known among Ilonggos.

Salvilla noted that Alcantara was only 2 years old during the Philippine Revolution in 1898. His father, being a Spanish official, could have gone home and brought his family to avoid imprisonment or could have surrendered before taking his family with him to Spain, Salvilla said.

But according to various accounts posted in the website www.world-football-legends.co.uk/alcantara/php, Alcantara came to Spain when he was 14 years old, a year before he debuted with FC Barcelona. He returned to the Philippines in 1916, or when he was 20 years old, and played for two years with the Bohemians, a Filipino football club.

He returned to Spain and resumed playing with his club in 1918 where he rose to become a legend.

On the other hand, in it’s Philippine football centennial issue, the Pinoy Football Magazine, published by the PFF, said Alcantara became the youngest player to wear the FC Barcelona jersey when he started playing for the club when he was 15.

Missing the Olympics

But more than becoming a football star, Alcantara was dedicated to becoming a doctor and did not play in the 1920 Olympic Games to study medicine.

He retired from football in 1927 to dedicate his time to medicine but he briefly coached the Spanish national team in 1951, which was unbeaten in the three matches that he steered the team.

Alcantara died in Barcelona on Feb. 13, 1964, at the age of 67, according to the FC Barcelona website.

It was also during Alcantara’s peak that the Philippines became an Asian football powerhouse with the country bagging the gold in the 1913 Far Eastern Games, the forerunner of the Asian Games.

Routing Japan

While Alcantara missed the 1913 games, he played four years later as part of the national team that routed Japan 15-2 in their match in Tokyo.

Japan was among the Asian teams that qualified in the round of 18 in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

‘‘That rout of Japan was the highest that the Philippines had advanced in international football,” Araneta said.

World’s No. 169

The international football federation Fifa currently ranks the Philippines 169th out of 207 member-countries in men’s football.

Despite the Filipinos’ preference for basketball and boxing, football players and fans have increasingly drawn inspiration from Alcantara’s exploits to raise local awareness and passion for the sport.

A life-size statue of Alcantara was unveiled at the PFF office at the PhilSports Complex in Pasig during the football centennial commemoration in 2007, said PFF general secretary Chito Manuel.

In Alcantara’s home province of Iloilo where football is popular especially in Barotac Nuevo town, dubbed the ‘‘Football Capital of the Philippines,” players and fans can readily cite Alcantara as proof that Filipinos can do well and even be among the greatest in the international football arena.

“We don’t have to stop at watching the World Cup and cheering for our idols. A hundred years ago, an Ilonggo already showed us the way to greatness,” said Duffie Botavara, president of the Barotac Nuevo Footbal Club.

©Copyright 2001-2010 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/ceb...roots-football

CFA bares big plans for grassroots football

Cebu Daily News
    First Posted 10:48:00 07/15/2010
    Filed Under: Football

THE Cebu Football Association (CFA) bared its plans of strengthening the grassroots development of football not only in the city but in the entire province as well.

CFA president Richard Montayre said they will be organizing four tournaments, the first of which is the ongoing Treadtel Cup 2010 to be followed by the Mizuno Cup on the second week of August, then the Aboitiz Cup on the last week of August and finally a big tournament next summer wherein teams come from each municipality of Cebu.

Aside from more tournaments, the CFA will also conduct coaches seminar ang training for football coaches in each municipality which they hope to launch by the end of this month in preparation for the summer tournament.

“We will help them put up their own teams,” Montayre said.

The plan is for each municipality to have its own inter-school tournament which will be the basis for the selection of thye members of the team.

According to Montayre, they are still in the process of identifying a place in the north and south to gather the coaches for the refresher course.

The project will be funded by the Department of Education of Central Visayas whose regional director, Recaredo Borgonia, is part of the CFA board.

Meanwhile, Montayre confirmed that the training program of the Cebu Elite Team will continue as soon as the CFA could raise funds.

He said that until now, they have not received any subsidy from the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) except for the P5,000 that was given earlier.

The Cebu Elite Team is a pilot project of the Vision Asia, a 10-year program of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and implemented by the CFA last January.

Despite the funding problems, Cebu Elite Teams U-14, U-12 and U-11 clinched the championships in their respective divisions of the Regional Festival of Football in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental held last March.

The program is aimed to select the best of the best for the boys U-8, U-10, U-12 and U-14; and girls U-12, U-16 and U-19 categories in Asia.

"Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villa...ysterious-ways

Villaflor: Moving in mysterious ways

Friday, July 16, 2010

By Noel S. Villaflor

IN case you were wondering, the Philippine National Men’s Football Team is alive.

The most recent news—a mindboggling one—is that the Azkals has moved up two places in the Fifa rankings, to 167th among 208 national football associations.

And I wonder: How in the world did that happen? How did the team manage to go up without playing any games in recent memory?

Well, perhaps they did and the Filipino football community had no clue. Either that or two other teams fared so badly Fifa had no choice but to bump the Azkals up two notches.

But I’m not complaining, some movement is better than no movement at all.

The team’s handlers have successfully kept the team’s activities under the radar.

Its last friendly match against a foreign team was in January yet, when it faced Chinese Taipei and a collegiate squad.

Then just last week, at the height of the World Cup, it held a training camp in Tacloban, Leyte, and played against a club from Barotac Nuevo, according to a report from Filipinofootball.blogspot.com.

The team is under a new coach, the mysterious Englishman Des Bulpin, who signed an initial one-year deal with the equally mysterious Philippine Football Federation in November 2009.

“Bulpin helped develop England international Peter Crouch during his spell at Queens Park Rangers,” according to a report on vitalfootball.co.uk. He also handled the Uzbekistan Under-17 team for a time.”

I have yet to confirm if Bulpin is still actually connected with the team, but at least we’re aware that the Azkals are indeed preparing for something.

That something is a tournament in Southeast Asia later this year, which Azkal striker Chad Edward Alesna Gould revealed to me online, after I asked him whether he’s still with the RP Men’s team.

“Yes, we’re still connected with the Philippine national team.

We’ll be out in October for the Asean Cup qualifiers,” said the 27-year-old footballer born to an English father and Cebuana mother from Boljoon.

Gould, with a killer header, is the team’s leading scorer with six goals in 13 international matches, including games against Southeast Asian powerhouses Malaysia and Cambodia.

He is concurrently—yes, Fifa allows this—a rookie member of the English national beach soccer team, which is seeing action in Italy for the Beach Soccer Fifa World Cup 2011 Qualifiers.

With Gould pledging to report for duty for the Philippine team, it seems he’ll be joining familiar faces and a couple of new ones this October.

It would be difficult to tell how the Azkals have matured as a team, given the few occasions they have played together over the last two years.

I remember in an interview with Gould last year how he wished the team could play at least 10 friendly matches annually to transform the team into a really cohesive unit.

Right now, that doesn’t seem to be the case, so the Azkals just have to make do with what time and resources are at their disposal.

As for us Azkal fans, we’ll just have to keep expectations to a minimum. My high school batchmate RDV, though, is now campaigning for an Azkal qualification to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil.

Of course, he knows very well what a tremendous long shot that is, but this is the kind of fervor and wishful thinking that the national team begs of its Filipino supporters.

And with the October Asan qualifiers drawing to a close, the team needs all the support it deserves.

The Azkals are a capable squad, so capable that our neighbors now take them seriously.

That makes the task even tougher. But that’s how it is, and there just aren’t any shortcuts to becoming a football powerhouse in the region.

And let’s face it, to really move up in the world’s football hierarchy, we can’t rely all the time on rankings whose movements are shrouded in mystery.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Schortsanitis
    http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villa...ysterious-ways

Villaflor: Moving in mysterious ways

Friday, July 16, 2010

By Noel S. Villaflor

IN case you were wondering, the Philippine National Men’s Football Team is alive.

The most recent news—a mindboggling one—is that the Azkals has moved up two places in the Fifa rankings, to 167th among 208 national football associations.

And I wonder: How in the world did that happen? How did the team manage to go up without playing any games in recent memory?

Well, perhaps they did and the Filipino football community had no clue. Either that or two other teams fared so badly Fifa had no choice but to bump the Azkals up two notches.

But I’m not complaining, some movement is better than no movement at all.

The team’s handlers have successfully kept the team’s activities under the radar.

Its last friendly match against a foreign team was in January yet, when it faced Chinese Taipei and a collegiate squad.

Then just last week, at the height of the World Cup, it held a training camp in Tacloban, Leyte, and played against a club from Barotac Nuevo, according to a report from Filipinofootball.blogspot.com.

The team is under a new coach, the mysterious Englishman Des Bulpin, who signed an initial one-year deal with the equally mysterious Philippine Football Federation in November 2009.

“Bulpin helped develop England international Peter Crouch during his spell at Queens Park Rangers,” according to a report on vitalfootball.co.uk. He also handled the Uzbekistan Under-17 team for a time.”

I have yet to confirm if Bulpin is still actually connected with the team, but at least we’re aware that the Azkals are indeed preparing for something.

That something is a tournament in Southeast Asia later this year, which Azkal striker Chad Edward Alesna Gould revealed to me online, after I asked him whether he’s still with the RP Men’s team.

“Yes, we’re still connected with the Philippine national team.

We’ll be out in October for the Asean Cup qualifiers,” said the 27-year-old footballer born to an English father and Cebuana mother from Boljoon.

Gould, with a killer header, is the team’s leading scorer with six goals in 13 international matches, including games against Southeast Asian powerhouses Malaysia and Cambodia.

He is concurrently—yes, Fifa allows this—a rookie member of the English national beach soccer team, which is seeing action in Italy for the Beach Soccer Fifa World Cup 2011 Qualifiers.

With Gould pledging to report for duty for the Philippine team, it seems he’ll be joining familiar faces and a couple of new ones this October.

It would be difficult to tell how the Azkals have matured as a team, given the few occasions they have played together over the last two years.

I remember in an interview with Gould last year how he wished the team could play at least 10 friendly matches annually to transform the team into a really cohesive unit.

Right now, that doesn’t seem to be the case, so the Azkals just have to make do with what time and resources are at their disposal.

As for us Azkal fans, we’ll just have to keep expectations to a minimum. My high school batchmate RDV, though, is now campaigning for an Azkal qualification to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil.

Of course, he knows very well what a tremendous long shot that is, but this is the kind of fervor and wishful thinking that the national team begs of its Filipino supporters.

And with the October Asan qualifiers drawing to a close, the team needs all the support it deserves.

The Azkals are a capable squad, so capable that our neighbors now take them seriously.

That makes the task even tougher. But that’s how it is, and there just aren’t any shortcuts to becoming a football powerhouse in the region.

And let’s face it, to really move up in the world’s football hierarchy, we can’t rely all the time on rankings whose movements are shrouded in mystery.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

I read somewhere that Bulpin is now with the Indian national football team.
    I stopped saying "LOL" ten years ago.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...CategoryId=448

A sport we can believe in

By Lester Cavestany (The Philippine Star) Updated July 17, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - There was something special about this year’s FIFA World Cup. For the first time in a long time, Filipinos gave a hoot about football. Perhaps it was due to the promotion by Balls TV; or maybe it’s because we’re finally catching on to the world’s most popular sport.

To get a better picture of the state of football in our nation, Supreme sat down with three football experts: Eddie Mallari, former national player who recently won the Castrol Skills Challenge with the prize of an all-expense-paid trip to the 2010 World Cup Final in Johannesburg; Ed Formoso, co-manager of the Philippine team that beat Brazil in the 2010 Street Child World Cup and the organizer of Football for Good under the Henry V. Moran Foundation; and Aris Caslib, former national coach and current Philippine Football Federation technical director.

SUPREME: Where are we in terms of developing football for Filipinos?

Mallari: The thing is, we’re quick and we’re skilled. When we go abroad and play against other countries, we’re as good as them individually. When we go for football or futsal, individually, we can hang, we’re quick, we’re strong. I mean we have players that are even better than these other guys. But we don’t have a professional league, so most of our players don’t train all year round.

Formoso: For me, the Street Child World Cup is a great example that it can be done. The kids went and they did what they had to do and they did well. In the eliminations, they beat Brazil. And in their final game, they faced South Africa. The gym was full of Africans and it ended 1-1 in full time but in extra time, we scored the winning goal. And so we came home with the trophy.

Caslib: I want to share with you the experience of the under-14 (age group) in Malaysia. During the first round of the competition, we were able to draw Australia, Vietnam, and Myanmar. These are big teams in our region. Now, what are we sharing here? We have to fully understand how to develop the base, especially at the youth level, then slowly we can build up, going to the higher age group levels.

What can we do to popularize it?

Mallari: You’re not gonna have soccer grow in this country unless there’s something to look forward to. Right now, college level is okay. But after college, there’s no professional league. So players don’t want to play soccer if there’s no career in the future. The league is the key.

Formoso: I think bringing an event here, a huge one, is a key to popularizing the game. What I want to do is create our own. It’s beginning to happen this year. It will be called Football for Good Championships. It’s for people who use football to do good things, whether helping street kids or the homeless. Next year, one more time. Then in 2013, it will be called Football for Good World Cup. Bring everyone. Invite the whole world.

Caslib: A league can be attractive to a lot of people to see very good players in our country. Very good results of the national teams competing outside would also promote the game. Then, a continuous grassroots activity at the base level.

Where do we go from here?

Mallari: We have the skill, we have the talent, we just need the support. You really need someone like the manager now, Dan Palami, who does it for a hobby. It’s his passion. He wants to help and it shows. So hopefully, we’ll see what happens.

Formoso: First, you love the game. When you get people to love the game, then you’re ready. Then you think about winning.

Caslib: There are a lot of interests to develop football and there are a lot of ideas on how to push through in the development of football. But then, we have to put all these things on one road and put them in their respective areas of development so that we can really see the bigger picture of football in our country.

Nice to read about a Bedan comrade doing his share in promoting football in our motherland. Isang lumalagablab na pulahang pagbati, Aris Caslib!

Maitim ka pa din ba?

COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Wrong post. LOL

http://leytesamardaily.net/?p=721

Philippine men’s football team here in Tacloban City for a tune-up game

TACLOBAN CITY – While the world is waiting who among the teams competing in the FIFA World Cup will be declared as champion in this year’s event that is being held in South Africa, the men’s football team of the Philippines is busy practicing for their upcoming international competition, in fact they are here in the city of Tacloban to have a tune-up game with local football players and a selection of football players from various teams in the country.

In a visit to their tune-up game, which is being held at the Leyte Sports Development Center better known as “grandstand”, of the 31 members of the Philippine team along with the selection team called as the Stallions, they are having a great time in the field trying to out-score each other in the playing field of the grandstand, which was rehabilitated in 2008 for the Palarong Pambansa.

The tune-up game of the Philippine Team in the city of Tacloban is the first ever practice that the Philippine Men’s Football Team since the grandstand was constructed.

In an interview with the coach of football national team, he said that the tune-up game is way of determining and examining the performance of his players in the field while playing.

“We would like to know what are the things that we need to improve with my men while they are inside playing so that they can compete well in the international competition,” Coach Broax said.

In the first day of the tune-up game between the national team and the selection team, the coach said that the national team is doing well but the team still needs to deliver a good finishing touch to deliver a point for their team.

“Marami tayong crosses compared sa kalaban, problema lang yung finishing kung paano nila magagawa ang conversion to goal,” the coach explained.

“Maganda naman ang build up pero importante ang crosses kasi 90% of the goals come from crosses,” he added.
    Coach Broax added that aside from the build game that they are doing to improve the performance of the national team they also hire a foreign coach to help them in improving the performance of their team players especially by sharing his experience in international games

“Desmund Dulpin, a British coach who had work with some British premier league, was hired by the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) and Mr. Dan Palami to help us in training the players,” Coach Broax added.

Aside from the British coach, the national football team of the Philippines has also two Sudanese players who are on the process of naturalization of their birth and two British players who have Filipino lineage.

Acting as the new Team Manager of the Philippine National Football Team, Dan Palami said that his main concern is to prepare the team and to make sure that they are always ready in various national and international tournaments.
    “As their team manager, I need to make sure that they are always prepared and aside from that I also need to make sure that their need in their trainings are answered,” Palami said.

“The support should always be there, including the corporate sponsors as well to ensure that the management office becomes supportive to the team,” he added.

He then explained the reason why the Philippine Men’s Team is conducting the training in the city and not in another place where there are existing facility for football games.

“One of the reason of this is I am the team manager but aside from it we are preparing for various competition,” he said.

“To be honest, we had been going around the country to check existing football grounds and we found out that there are only few places in the country with a facility that can be used as a tournament ground for football,” Palami said.

“Leyte is one of those places in the country with a better facility that could be used in training the football players and also a good venue for football tournament,” he added.

Aside from the training that is being held at the grandstand Palami added that he would also like to show that the region especially the province of Leyte has the facility that can be used a venue for football tournament.

After their training in the region by the month of August, the Philippine Men’s Football Team will be going to Iran, in September to Qatar as preparation for the qualifying tournament of the Suzuki Cup on October in Laos where the finals is to be held in Vietnam.

Palami added that they will also compete in the qualifying tournament for the South East Asian Games and qualifying tournament for the World Cup.

Palami revealed that in the previous games of the Philippine Team in international competitions, their performance was quiet low but unlikely to be considered as a bad performance.

“Diri man gad malain itun ira performances han mga previous competitions in previous years, pero diri kita nakaka-qualify,” Palami said.

“But since I assumed the position as the team manager we had implemented various trainings with the help of experts in the field of football so that we can improve their performances and since this January when we started competing although it was not a major competition, we were able to perform well, and we were able to qualify,” Palami added

“We continue to practice to improve the quality of game we have and hopefully we can achieve our goal that we can compete in the World Cup sometime in the future,” Palami further said

He added that with the help of their foreign coach and with the help from their players who are coming from abroad they are expecting to have better performance in their coming games.

“We may consider them as one of the assets for our team, because they come from abroad and they are more exposed in football tournaments abroad. They have been training every year in the country where they came from which is very helpful for the team,” he stressed. (Roel Amazona)

Quote Originally Posted by kerouac82
    I read somewhere that Bulpin is now with the Indian national football team.
    Looks like it:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villa...als-flatfooted

Villaflor: English coach leaves Azkals flatfooted

By Noel S. Villaflor

UNCONFIRMED reports online say Englishman Des Bulpin, has quit as coach of the Philippine Men’s National Team.

Wikipedia, though, quickly listed as “vacant” the entry under the team’s head coach, while another entry says he now “manages India’s Under-19 team.”

Among conflicting reports why Bulpin resigned is that politics made it difficult for him to run the team.

Blogger Louie Encabo, who runs the site usapangfootball.webs.com, writes: “Des’
    decision was made simpler when a lucrative India U-19 team coaching position was offered to him. Not only do they have better facilities but they have an organized Federation as well.”

India having an “organized Federation,” in Encabo’s words, suggests the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) is not. Bulpin should now know that firsthand.

Some observers might find Bulpin’s resignation shocking, but I’m actually even more surprised that he lasted this long as Philippine coach, a job he himself described to a sports scribe as “a massive challenge.”

But finding the challenge too massive even for his Englishman’s wits, he flees faster than one can say “bollocks.” To hell with that one-year contract he signed in November last year, and never mind if the men’s team is joining the Asean Football Cup qualifiers this October.

(As an Azkals fan, it’s hard to forgive Bulpin for leaving at the height of the team’s preparations. An honorable man would have finished the job. The PFF mafia, on the other hand, is beyond redemption.)

This development must be annoying to a columnist for a national broadsheet, who wrote glowingly about Bulpin last February, even recklessly quoting a source, “He (Bulpin) may not be the best coach out there but he’s much better than anyone locally.”

(PFF technical director Aries Caslib took exception to the discriminatory statement, and was quick to reply with a list of Filipino coaches who are fit for the job.)

I pity the two benefactors, one of whom sits as team manager, who bankrolled Bulpin’s expenses, while the PFF need not spend a single cent by “outsourcing” its responsibilities of handling the national team.

Even more pathetic, Bulpin’s departure would give the PFF a convenient excuse should the team fare poorly in October.

But I hope not.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com)

http://artnewsthailand.wordpress.com...t-asia-league/

Yahoo News: Reuters-Malaysia, Indonesia propose southeast Asia league

In Uncategorized on July 31, 2010 at 2:21 pm

KUALA LUMPUR, July 31 (Reuters) – Malaysia and Indonesia are proposing the formation of a trans-national soccer league in southeast Asia to help revitalise the club game in the region, according to Malaysia’s Sports Minister Ahmad Shabery Cheek.

Ahmad Shabery said his Indonesian counterpart Andi Mallarangeng had approved of the plan for the league, which would be set up within the framework of the 11-member Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).

“I believe a league among ASEAN countries will help raise the standard of football in the region,” he told Malaysia’s state news agency Bernama.

The ASEAN countries already compete against each other in a biennial competition for national teams as well as at the biennial South East Asian Games, the last version of which took place in Laos last year.

Thailand, Brunei, Cambodia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, East Timor and Vietnam are the other ASEAN nations.

(Writing by Nick Mulvenney in Beijing, editing by Greg Stutchbury; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast