twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippine Football (Soccer) News

Share/Bookmark

Re: Philippine Football (Soccer) News

all this time, hans smit is actually indonesian?!? can anybody confirm this?
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    all this time, hans smit is actually indonesian?!? can anybody confirm this?
    Indonesian? Pero he is too tall and he talks in straight Filipino.Pinoy na pinoy na. ;D At grabeng magmura. God D@mn it, the P word etc.

The World Cup will finish its group stages. Surprise surprise Who are you rooting? Might watch the Finals after the UAAP opening weekend.
    "The end justifies the means"-from Machiavelli? Nope.  :D

Soccer Mania Mall Tour 2010 @ Ayala Malls Start

Time: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 10:00am
    End Time: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 8:00pm

Description
    Soccer Mania Mall Tour 2010 is a fun and interactive soccer-themed event series that will be happening in Trinoma on June 29 to 30, in Market Market on July 2-4 and at the Alabang Town Center on July 25-26. If you've always wanted to play soccer, now's your chance! And best of all, you can play it in a mall! Visit us and experience the fun and the thrill of today's most talked about sport.

Here is the invite at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=129646360402760

"Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-dear-kris

Villaflor: Dear Kris

By Noel S. Villaflor [1]

FIRST of all, I would like to congratulate you for becoming the de facto First Lady effective yesterday. I am sure someone must be blue with envy right now, and I don’t mean your brother’s fiancée.

Anyway, you’re probably wondering what’s gotten into the head of an obscure community sports columnist that he’s writing to an ultra-famous personality like you. Shouldn’t he be writing instead about more pressing matters like the World Cup?

First, let me confess: some people think I have a severe dislike towards Kris the spoiled showbiz personality whose vuvuzelic voice drives half the population nuts. Perhaps there’s some truth to that.

But deep inside, I have to grudgingly admit how I admire Kris the thinker. In fact, at the height of your brother’s campaign, I tried to persuade my officemates that you’d make a way better president.

I have even gone as far as readying a campaign slogan when your turn comes. His was Noy-P, short for Noynoy for President, but yours sounds crunchier: Kris for President, or Kris-P. Six years from now I can hear a hysterical crowd of millions scream: Kris-P! Kris-P! Kris-P!

Before you find this letter as nothing more than servile flattery, let me get to the point: I am writing to seek your help in fixing Philippine football. You heard that right.

I know it sounds rather a bit of a stretch, since you’re probably wondering if there is such a thing as Philippine football in the first place. Well, yes, Kris, there is such a thing and it severely needs your help.

Again, Kris, you may ask: Why Kris? What has Kris got to do with this nonsense?

A lot, dear First Lady. More than you can imagine. But how?

Let’s get to the facts.

Being the President’s sister, he listens to you, even to a fault, right? You and the President want to bring real change, right? And among the President’s thrusts is to stamp out corruption, right? Of course, both of you are serious, right?

So if I tell you, Kris, that the state of Philippine football mirrors that of Philippine society, you’d agree, right? Well, maybe not because you’re probably clueless about the shenanigans that transpire within football’s governing body in the country. Most people are, anyway.

You see, Kris, the Philippine Football Federation—that’s what it’s called—receives millions of aid from Fifa, international soccer’s umbrella organization. In 2007 it received $400,000, plus a yearly pledge of $250,000. That means the PFF should have received $1.4 million by now, or a cool P70,000,000.

All that money, Kris, should have made a lot of difference. Ah, but how come you haven’t heard of it?

Now that I have your attention, you must also be wondering where all that money went? For now I will spare you the details, but in a nutshell, the PFF is allegedly in a serious financial mess and it’s becoming a national embarrassment.

Now, Kris, you couldn’t care less about football, but think about all the Pinoy football players who would have benefitted from money well spent.

I’m specifically addressing this letter to you and not the President because you have a personal understanding of how an athlete feels when deprived. You should know, since you were married to one.

So, Kris, why not ask your brother to look not just into the PFF but the other national sports organizations as well to find out why we suck at international competitions that matter? Of course, the money that the PFF has, or had, in its hands is unheard of, so shouldn’t that be a priority?

How I’d relish a meeting between the President of the Republic of the Philippines and the PFF president. Someone’s got some explaining to do.

Honestly, Kris, I see this letter will probably go nowhere, but who knows? In your language, it’s called “suntok sa buwan.”

So, if anyone can fix Philippine football, it has got to be you Kris. And it’s that urgent. We need your help. Now na.

(nsvillaflor@gmail.com [3])

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 1, 2010.
    Cebu Noel S. Villaflor Sports

Source URL: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/villaflor-dear-kris

Links:
    [1] http://www.sunstar.com.ph/category/a...el-s-villaflor
    [2] http://specials.sunstar.com.ph/election2010/
    [3] mailto:nsvillaflor@gmail.com
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

http://www.pinoysport.com/4-fil-brit...omment-page-1/

4 Fil-British players join football team

April 29th, 2008

Philippine football hopes to turn its fortunes around as four Fil-British players, including comebacking Phil Younghusband, spearhead the campaign of the RP team in the 2nd Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup on May 13-20 in Barotac and Iloilo City.

Head coach Norman Fegidero said yesterday that he hoped the reinforcements can provide a stronger challenge to traditional football powers in the region such as Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia.

Joining Younghusband are Chad Gould, Chris Greatwich and Neil Etheridge. Gould had previously played for the RP team while the other two new recruits.

“May malaking maitutulong sila sa team. Right now, meron pa rin kaming tryouts. In two weeks time baka buo na ang team,” said Fegidero, who is best remembered for scoring the country’s lone goal in a stunning upset over heavily favored Malaysian squad during the 1991 SEA Games in Manila.

Fegidero has already set up a training camp in Barotac and Iloilo City which are considered a rich source of football talent.

Gould and Younghusband, who played for the Philippine team during 2005 SEA Games, arrived in the country last Friday while Greatwich is expected to plane in on May 6. Etheridge will arrive a day after.

Gould is a 6-foot-1 striker and is playing for the Wimbledon FC, while Younghusband is a reserve player for Chelsea, one of the biggest football clubs in England. Greatwich played for Brighton & Hove Albion first team.

Etheridge, meanwhile, is a highly-rated 19-year-old reserve goalkeeper of Fulham Academy FC, which plays in the English Premier League.

Etheridge, who also played for the under-16 squad of England, said he declined the invitation of the Philippine Football Federation last year since he didn’t know about the members of the team and can’t speak the Filipino language.

“This season, they have asked me again, the team has a new manager and a new president (Jose Mari Martinez) who invited me over and this time I know some of the players,” the 6-foot-3 Etheridge said.

“One of the players is from Chelsea (Younghusband) who I know well and he convinced me to go and told me that I would enjoy the experience,” Etheridge said. “It will be a completely different style of football to what I am used to playing for Fulham’s Academy due to the heat and I don’t think it will be as fast.”

The national team is actually expecting another reinforcement in Fil-Scotish midfielder James Hall who plays for Everton FC. He has already confirmed his intention to join the team but has yet to arrive.

The Philippines is bracketed in Group B of the four groups in the qualifying meet where defending champion Tajikistan, Bhutan and Brunei Darusalem are also included. Chinese Taipei, Kyrgystan and Nepal host the three other groups — A, C and D.

In all, a total of 16 teams will be competing in the qualifying round where the No. 1 team in each group will join South Korea, Turkministan, India and Myanmar in the eight-team finals slated July 30 to August 10 in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Schortsanitis
    http://philippinenews.com/article.php?id=8448

RP is a kick away in a football-crazy world

Published: June 21, 2010 | Author: Jonathan Perez

In much of the Philippines, football is identified more with private schools, while basketball rules the Filipino sports universe, with the occasional interruption for a Manny Pacquiao fight. That's probably the reason the typical kanto baller thinks football is for rich kids.
    Football is the true universal game of the toiling masses. It is the People's game.

Ang hirap kasi sa ilang Pinoy, ginagawang status symbol kapag hindi uso sa masa. Hindi nila man lang nalamang pang-kanto ang larong ito. :D

At the beginning of the 20th century, soccer was widely accepted as the most popular sport in the western world. Starting in Britain in the 19th century but with roots going back to the late Middle Ages, it quickly spread from there to the rest of the world. Yet here was a game with strong traditional folk-roots; a game originally intended for urban working men. This text tells the story of the remarkable rise of a remarkable game—and the way it became the game of the masses across the globe.

COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Here is the first of a series of videos on Youtube showing the UFL All-Star Game held last June 18, 2010. The rest of the videos can be accessed on the right side of the Youtube page:
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnHbC...eature=channel

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...icle_id=279131

Iloilo town big fan of football, World Cup

By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.
    Inquirer Visayas

Posted date: July 04, 2010

ILOILO CITY, Iloilo, Philippines – Many residents of Barotac town in Iloilo, 30 kilometers northeast of here, have been getting little sleep lately.

On many late nights for the past few weeks, residents have been huddling at homes in front of television sets with generous amounts of beer and appetizers while watching the World Cup 2010 matches in South Africa.

While most of the country has paid little attention to the World Cup, Barotacnons have joined nearly a billion fans worldwide in following the quadrennial tournament.

Since the World Cup opened on June 11, football players and enthusiasts have been gathering in homes with cable television connections to watch the games shown live locally at 10 p.m. and 2:30 a.m.

“We all stay late at night especially for the exciting and much awaited games,” said engineer Duffie Botavara, general secretary of the Iloilo Football Association and president of the Barotac Nuevo Football Club.

Botavara said only around 30 homes in the town had cable subscriptions that have been showing live coverage and many other residents have had to wait two hours after for the delayed telecasts. The 90-minute games could sometimes extend if plays were extended.

“Many times, around 20 of us are huddled in a cramped living room. But we don't mind because the excitement is there as if we are also part of the crowds at the stadiums in South Africa,” he said.

In a basketball-crazed country, Barotac Nuevo, with a population of around 46,000, has been dubbed the “football capital of the Philippines” for producing batches upon batches of the country's top football players.

The town is the source of many of the members of the national team, collegiate players of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) and other top teams in Manila.

Most residents are football fans and know the rules of the game with young players less excited about basketball stars like Kobe Bryant of the world champion Los Angeles Lakers or Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics compared to current football superstars Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal and Lionel Messi of Argentina.

Football has been a passion for residents since the sport was first introduced to the town in the 1920s by the Monfort brothers.

The brothers embraced the sport while studying at the Colegio de San Agustin (now University of San Agustin) in Iloilo City where it was played by the friars.

Although introduced by young men from a prominent family, football ultimately became the town’s passion regardless of social status.

The town hosts the P10-million National Football Training Center at Barangay Tabucan put up by the Federation Internationale de Football (Fifa) and the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) in 2003.

The three-hectare football center, the only one in the country, has a dormitory that can accommodate 30 persons for trainings and lectures. The center also hosts courses for coaches and officials.

Botavara said more residents were expected to stay up and watch the games as the tournament entered the semi-final and championship rounds this week.

“We selected only the exciting games during the elimination rounds but with the matches getting closer and more exciting, we expect to watch each game, never mind if we will have little sleep,” he said.

The football enthusiasts are hopeful that this year’s improving performance of Asian teams, including Japan, North Korea, and South Korea will spur more interest in the sport.

Botavara stressed that football would be one sport that Filipinos could perform well internationally because having tall players would not be essential, unlike in basketball.

He cited the 23-year-old Messi of Argentina, standing just around 5'7'', considered among the world's top football players.

“We have the talent and we can do well and even better than Asian teams if we have the support and exposure,” Botavara said.

While there have been various youth football programs in the past, Botavara said there has been a lack of sustained and comprehensive training to create a wide pool of players.

He cited the strong performance of the German team in this year's World Cup, which has been credited to Germany's comprehensive youth training program. Germany, composed mostly of players in their early 20's, ousted football giant Brazil in Saturday's match.

Botavara said they planned to put up a giant screen at the town plaza for the July 12 final game set at 2:30 a.m. to allow residents to see the match.

He said the growing interest in the sport in the country has been encouraging. He expressed hope that with more people watching the games, football would become a national passion, too.

©Copyright 2001-2010 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=84

Finally, football

UNWRITTEN By Maria Jorica B. Pamintuan (The Philippine Star) Updated July 09, 2010 12:00 AM

The past few weeks, social networking sites have been swamped with messages and posts about sports.

I wasn’t surprised by the multitude of NBA-related posts — Filipinos have always been basketball fans. But when the NBA ended, a new sports fever seemed to grip the nation: football.

If, for some reason, you haven’t been able to tune into the news, read the newspaper, check your Facebook or Twitter, or notice the tarps, posters and products around many parts of the metro, the FIFA World Cup has suddenly become a very popular event in the Philippines. Now, with only days until the World Cup ends, the fever is reaching boiling point.

True, there are still many Filipinos who, like me, don’t know the difference among football, rugby, futsal, and soccer — people whose knowledge about the game is basically that it features buff men running around in short shorts or tights.

However, there is growing football following in the country. There are lots of real fans who not only have a passion for the sport, but are also dedicated to spreading the word.

Roehl Niño “Ronin” Bautista and Cherry Sun are two of those fans. Both have been football nuts for years, and have been on both sides of the fence, as players and spectators. From the beginning of World Cup season, they have been staying up (or waking up!) at ungodly hours to watch the matches live.

Cherry loves the rush and the sense of accomplishment that football gives. Ronin likes the difficulty, the challenge of playing the sport. They have different reasons for playing and watching, but their thoughts on football in the Philippines are as synchronized as the pro team maneuvers on the field.

“Kahit mas malaki ang chance nating magtagumpay sa football, sa basketball pa rin nakatututok ang Pilipinas (Even if we have a better chance of winning at football, the Philippines is still focused on basketball),” said Ronin, adding, “It’s a popular sport, but not as popular as basketball.”

He said that the main problem for football in the country is the lack of support from the government. There aren’t many venues for playing the game, and media coverage of matches is peanuts compared to the full-blown coverage of the UAAP and PBA.

Cherry echoed his sentiments when she said, “Sadly, I think we don’t have enough football fields and grounds. This is something our government can work on to further promote the sport.”

She did admit that football is gaining popular ground in Luzon, and that the sport is very popular in Visayas and Mindanao.

There’s even a Pilipinas World Cup for football enthusiasts in the country.

The truth is football seems to be a sport Filipinos can really excel at. As Ronin said, “Height rarely matters, control is important, and you can’t hog the ball if you want to score a goal.” Well, here’s a sport where the Pinoy’s small stature isn’t an issue! Control can be learned and practiced, and Filipinos are naturally giving anyway, right?

Hello, we have a champion rugby team, the Philippine Volcanoes! If that isn’t proof of how far Pinoys can go in football, nothing is.

It’s worth giving serious football training a shot. There should be greater support from both the government and academic institutions. Instead of focusing so much on basketball, our leaders should promote and develop avenues for training in a sport where height (or the lack of it) matters.

“I think we have a good number of football clubs and teams and it’s also good that schools are integrating football in their physical education curriculum, aside from their varsity programs,” said Cherry.

Ronin also said football is big in some schools — those that have the facilities for it.

“Hindi kasi ganoon karami ang mga venues para maglaro ng football, di tulad ng basketball na kada SK ng isang lugar eh basketball court ang project (There aren’t a lot of venues to play football, unlike basketball, which can be played anywhere because local youth councils erect basketball courts as their projects),” he said.

Aside from campus athletics, football can also be made part of rehab programs for juvenile delinquents. Dancing seems to be working for the Cebu inmates; imagine what wonders sports can do for kids. Not only would preoccupation with sports keep them out of trouble, it would also give them the skills they can use to turn their lives around.

They’d be really good at it, too. After all, they have the instincts for it already. These are the kids who can run off with your jewelry and then dodge pedestrians and other obstacles on the road. Formal football training can only hone the natural reflexes they have.

Most of the kids in juvy deserve a second chance. Sports can help them become better people, and isn’t that the point of rehabilitation?

Who knows, maybe the kids in a sports rehab program will be the players of a winning FIFA World Cup team. Hey, any kid who can get into the game early might be the Philippines’ version of Pelé — but we won’t have that chance until the government and institutions make football a sports priority.

“Our FIFA ranking is low. But we have to take into consideration the kind of support our representatives get, also the kind of training they go under. If we want to be world class, our training has to be world class,” said Ronin.

“At present, the Philippines ranks 169th among 202 football playing countries. I’d like to think we can be part of (competitions like FIFA), but not in the near future,” Cherry said, adding, “I believe the Filipinos have a natural gift to play the sport anyway. I mean, we don’t have the best facilities yet teams have been playing the sport well.”

Maybe someday, Ronin and Cherry will be cheering on a FIFA World Cup team wearing blue, red, yellow and white jerseys.

The Philippines has become internationally renowned for boxers, bowlers, and billiard players. I bet a lot of people are still hoping basketball will be the next “B” sport to join that list. I wouldn’t count on it, though.

And since Rep. Manny Pacquiao will be kept busy by his congressional duties, the country will need a new champion to cheer for. A brilliant football team may be just the answer. But first, we have to start small — and learning the difference between rugby and football may be the perfect place to begin.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/gma/2010071...s-0e3ffe0.html

VIDEO STORY: Tondo padyak boy dreams of football

In the Philippines, football is more often played by privileged athletes from elite schools. But the world's most popular sport is also gaining ground in some of Manila's poorer communities, partly thanks to a few football enthusiasts who are introducing the sport to underprivileged kids.

Twelve-year-old Chrisval de Castro from Tondo, Manila dreams of being a professional football player one day. He belongs to a local football club called Futkal, a non-profit organization that uses "street soccer" to educate and develop disadvantaged youth. Also responsible for popularizing football in Tondo are the Salesian priests of the Don Bosco Youth Center, who have been teaching the sport to local boys since the 1970s.

Groups like Futkal and Don Bosco believe that teaching football to young boys like Chrisval will give them the chance to stand out in a country where basketball-heads are a dime a dozen. If he masters the sport, Chrisval may some day win a football scholarship from a good high school and then university. His ultimate dream is to one day play for the Philippine national team.

But more importantly, playing football is teaching Chrisval discipline, dedication, and how to turn weaknesses into strengths.

"Hindi puwedeng puro paa ka lang," the boy says, sounding wise beyond his 12 years. "Dapat may utak ka rin. Para kahit saan ka mapunta, may magagawa ka."

With that attitude, the boy might just have the world at his feet.

By the way, here is the video:
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLWYogfSMhc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast