Share/Bookmark

Philippine Football (Soccer) News

Breaking News / Breaking News
    http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingn...icle_id=274591

Football tourney eyeing to stir World Cup interest in RP

By Cedelf P. Tupas
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: June 08, 2010

MANILA, Philippines -- Two groups are looking to cash in on the popularity of the World Cup with events, which they hope would boost the stature of football that has been in the doldrums in the Philippines.

Organized by the Sunken Garden United Football Club, the “World Cup Filipinas” kicked off over the weekend at the CCP’s Bulwagan Ipil Ipil grounds in Pasay City.

The tournament features clubs such as the Sovereign Integridad and the University of the Philippines Sikad club.

“It’s a celebration of unity amidst diversity,” organizer TJ Besa said at the PSA Forum at the Shakey’s UN Avenue in Manila.

Philip Hagedorn of the United Football League also announced the league’s move to stage an expanded Primera Liga together with the Philippine Football Federation in October.

Hagedorn admitted having difficulty promoting the tournament, but said the month-long World Cup in South Africa kicking off Friday presents an opportunity for them to popularize the sport.

Hagedorn said they have been eyeing venues that would make their tournament more accessible to spectators.

The UFL season, which ended recently with Army coming out on top, was mostly held at the Nomads field in Parañaque.

PFF representative Ernie Nierras said the UFL would be part of the PFF’s Primera Liga, which would also feature regional champions from Luzon, Mindanao and the Visayas.

©Copyright 2001-2010 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

Re: Philippine Football (Soccer) News

http://sports.inquirer.net/amateur/a...-All-Star-game

RP booters take UFL All-Star game

By Cedelf P. Tupas
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

THE PHILIPPINE ALL-STARS HACKED OUT a thrilling 4-3 victory over their foreign counterparts Friday night in the United Football League All-Star game at the Nomads pitch in Parañaque City.

Ranged against the finest foreign talents in the fledgling league, the Filipinos didn’t flinch, getting a goal each from Ian Araneta, Emelio Caligdong, Roel Gener and Martin Doctora to rule the showcase event.

Doctora struck in the seventh minute as the Filipinos, with Aly Borromeo pulling the strings at midfield, established a pattern of dominance early on.

Sudanese striker Izzeldin El-Habbib stole a backpass and slotted home the equalizer in the 14th minute but goals from Gener and Araneta restored order for the Filipinos.

"Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

great initiative, Schort!
    sana humaba usapan at mayroong pag-usapan...

what's the league wherein we have teams from the AFP and the top football school? s...i think the tournament just finished recently..
    Our fellowship will never cease!
    ANIMO SAN BEDA!

Quote Originally Posted by lekiboy
    great initiative, Schort!
    sana humaba usapan at mayroong pag-usapan...

what's the league wherein we have teams from the AFP and the top football school? s...i think the tournament just finished recently..
    I think it's the United Football League (UFL), and the tournament was the UFL-LBC Cup. Here are the official links to the league, and to the tournament:
    - http://footballalliance.ph/league/
    - http://footballalliance.ph/cup/

I also found out that the UFL-LBC Cup has a FB page, and surprise, surprise, it has more than 2,000 members already:
    - http://www.facebook.com/pages/LBC-UN...E/187194178202

http://footballalliance.ph/news.php?nwID=94

Jun. 20, 2010

UFL All-Star Night Leave Fans Anticipating Second Season

by Josue Jamlang

The United Football League season has officially ended, with the All-Star match and awarding ceremony taking place on Friday, at Nomads Sports Club in Merville. Fans, players and officials who flocked to the venue, were treated to plenty of entertainment, starting with the highly anticipated match between the UFL’s best Filipino players against a “Rest of the World” selection. An awarding ceremony followed the tightly contested affair, with plenty of free food and drinks for everyone that attended.

Gatorade, Phiten, Outback Steakhouse and Arthaland were present at the event as well, showing their support and providing plenty of freebies and discounts for everyone to enjoy.

With national pride on the line, the Philippines v Rest of the World match proved to be more than just a light exhibition. Both sides, which were stacked with the very best of the UFL, showed a competitiveness that left fans brimming with excitement.

It would be the Philippines that would strike first, with Air Force Rider defender Martin Doctora finding the early breakthrough in the seventh minute. The Filipinos were looking lively early on, carving out the best chances in the opening third of the first half, but the international team would draw level through prolific Kaya Digiprint striker Izzeldin Elhabbib. The Philippines would stamp their authority going into half-time however, with goals from Air Force Rider star Ian Araneta and Army Phiten midfielder Roel Gener ensuring a 3-1 advantage going into the break.

Global Smartmatic’s Ivory Coast native Remi Alain-Sery would find the back of the net shortly after the restart, leaving the contest delicately poised at 3-2. 25 minutes later tough, Emelio “Chieffy” Caligdong popped up to reestablish the Philippines’ two-goal advantage, making victory almost certain. Elhabbib would go on to score a second two minutes before time however to make for a nervous finish, but it was a case of too little too late, with the Filipinos winning 4-3.

The Awarding ceremony followed swiftly after the spectacular match, with the winners of the All-Star game being recognized first. For overcoming the international side, the players of the Philippine selection garnered plenty of respect from the UFL fans, as well as being entitled to a dinner party courtesy of Outback Steakhouse. Second Division champs Global Smartmatic, who will be plying their trade in the First Division next season, were handed their well-deserved medals and trophies, before individual awards were handed to Nomads Aloha Boardsports’ Jeff Blake (Best Goalkeeper), Sunken Garden’s Romuald Ngong (Top Goalscorer) and Global Smartmatic’s Jerry Barbaso (MVP). Time was also taken to honor Emil Balidio, who was awarded the league’s best referee, before moving on to the First Division winners.

Army Phiten’s Edward Sacapano (Best Goalkeeper), Kaya Digiprint’s Izzeldin Elhabbib (Top Goalsocerer), and Air Force Rider’s Ian Araneta (MVP) took to the stage to receive their respective trophies, before the First Division champions were called on stage for their grand celebrations.

Air Force Rider, who also won the LBC-UFL Cup back in December, completed a remarkable double by capturing the League title earlier this month, and were understandably ecstatic at their achievement. As they were handed their medals, the UFL trophy, and a check worth P60,000, the fans watched in appreciation as the remarkable side received their well deserved rewards for a spectacular season. As the pyrotechnics died and with it the jubilant celebrations, the DJ took over, with everyone enjoying the music, the World Cup viewing, and all the food and drinks.

It was a marvelous night for Philippine football, with all the supporters of the league enjoying a spectacular culmination to what was a very successful inaugural season. Although there are still three months before the LBC-UFL Cup kicks off next season, the excitement, drama and passion exuberated by the first campaign has the football community already brimming with anticipation.

http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingn...-Cup-Pilipinas

Philippines wins first World Cup Pilipinas

First Posted 14:09:00 06/21/2010

MANILA, Philippines—Team Philippines, composed of members of the Philippine Army, won the first Castrol World Cup Pilipinas tournament with six wins and zero losses.

The other teams that made it to the semi-finals were Ivory Coast, followed by Portugal and Sweden.

The four-weekend tournament at the CCP Liwasang Ipil-Ipil was organized by the Sunken Garden United Football Club, a University of the Philippines-Diliman-based team composed of UP alumni and players from diverse backgrounds (professionals, laborers, Christians, Muslims, youth, some foreigners, men, women, and even a priest)..

The tournament, which ended Sunday, also featured a one-day 7-a-side Century Tuna Cup Pilipinas won by Sudan.

One of the few football events in basketball-crazed Philippines, the competition sought to drum up interest for the “beautiful game.”

“Basketball is killing football,” Sunken Garden’s TJ Besa said, noting that football is best suited for Filipinos as it does not require much height, only skill.

He said that WCP was held almost simultaneously with the FIFA World Cup 2010 in South Africa is helping make the sport popular.

“That certainly helped jump-start (the interest),” he said, expressing hope that the interest will continue way after the World Cup ends.

Besa said his group is working to sustain the interest in the game, “perhaps with a Second World Cup Pilipinas next year.”

“The momentum is there. We hope that it won’t disappear once the fanfare for the game subsides,” he said.

Sponsors that made the tournament possible were Castrol, Philippine Army, Philippine Army 525th Engineering Brigade, SM Shoemart, Philippine Daily Inquirer, BusinessWorld, Century Tuna, The Manila Times, Sunken Garden United Football Club, Cultural Center of the Philippines, Philippine Football Federation, JAM 88.3 FM, Wave 89.1 FM, Magic 89.9 FM, 99.5 RT FM, Max 103.5 FM, Pasay City Mayor’s Office, Milo 3-in-1, Nestle Fruit Selection, Mizuno, McDonald’s, Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines.

Sudan, which won the 7-a-side Century Tuna Cup Pilipinas, won a trophy and P17,000 in cash and goods. Philippines, which won the regular 11-a-side Castrol World Cup Pilipinas, won a trophy and P25,000 also in cash and goods.

Awarding started at around 7 p.m., when it started to rain, prompting the players and organizers to dance in the rain.

Veronica Uy

© Copyright 1997-2010 INQUIRER.net

There's a group that teaches Football to streetkids called, "Futkal", for "Futbol sa kalye". I think it's a noble cause. For the Philippines to excel in Football internationally, it has to be embraced by the masses, because we need that large talent pool to choose our best players from.

Here is the link to their website for more details:
    - http://www.futkal.org/

Do we have a World Cup thread here? Oh wag na lang haha. I just hope in 2018, we will be singing the "Lupang Hinirang" in front of a big crowd. Please Philippines, let's be infected with the "Football Fever". US nga eh football crazy na. Oh Slovenia is making their life difficult.

As for Philippine football? Well, please wag na kayo kumuha sa England. Sa Germany, or any African nations na lang. England err. Brazil din pwede ala Kaka malamang marami fan niyan dito.

"The end justifies the means"-from Machiavelli? Nope.  :D

Ang tanong eh kung willing ba naman mag bayad ang mga Pilipinas sa mga quality player from those football countries to at least stir their interest to play here.
    I-shoot mo, i-shoot mo, i- shoot mo pa ang ball. ang sarap mag Basketball - Viva Hot Babes

http://philippinenews.com/article.php?id=8448

RP is a kick away in a football-crazy world

Published: June 21, 2010 | Author: Jonathan Perez

In much of the Philippines, football is identified more with private schools, while basketball rules the Filipino sports universe, with the occasional interruption for a Manny Pacquiao fight. That's probably the reason the typical kanto baller thinks football is for rich kids.

That's not how the rest of the world thinks, according to former Philippine national team coach Hans Smit, an Indonesian citizen with roots in Holland, a world football power. This month many of the world's best players have converged in South Africa for the World Cup. More than a few used their football skills to escape poverty in their homelands. Smit said the tag of football as an "elite sport" is a misconception and Filipinos should stop calling it that since he believes this is one game where impoverished athletes of small physical stature can still excel. "Football is not for the elite or the rich.

Pele, the greatest football player in the world, started in the streets before moving into more organized football schools," said Smit, who is currently the head coach of the La Salle women's football team. Pele went on to win three World Cup titles while playing for Brazil. While exclusive schools have among the best football programs and coaching, some efforts to encourage the sport among the poor have yielded surprising results.

A Philippine youth team composed of former street kids early this year won the Shield Trophy in the Deloitte Street Child World Cup indoor football tournament in Durban, South Africa early this year. The Philippine team, underdogs in the tournament, even stunned football powerhouse and No. 2 ranked Brazil, 6-2. Football advocates are trying other ways to spread football from elite fields to public spaces. World Cup Pilipinas is a weekly league played at the CCP grounds organized by Sunken Garden United, a football club composed of UP alumni.

TJ Besa, one of the organizers of World Cup Pilipinas, said that a tricycle driver is playing for one of the teams in the league. "He (tricycle driver) just came and asked if he can play with us. Our doors are open to anyone. Even to people who do not know how to play football. Football is a Filipino sport. It is a big sport and it needs believers for it to grow. We just need to work together." While our basketball-crazy nation religiously follows the NBA finals this month, a minority of sports fans will be staying up late to watch the World Cup matches live on local television.

South Africa has a seven-hour time differential in Manila. Smit said football would be a much bigger sport in the Philippines if youth programs were sustained and national football officials set aside the politics that has plagued the sport since he started coaching in 1979. "If you ask me, there's no (football) program," Smit said.

"They should have continued the youth teams that I handled before. It’s hard to get it off the ground here. How to do it properly without politics and anything else, just pure football development. Everybody has plans, people start off with something but it always changes."

Smit has coached the men's, women's, boys' and girls' Philippine national football teams, including a Futsal squad. "It's going to be difficult. Our football leaders need to have political will and continue with various programs for development. We need to act now. Hopefully, we can see changes with Noynoy (Aquino) winning."

The problems that have held back football's development in the Philippines have not stopped younger advocates from organizing new efforts. Philip Hagedorn of the Football Alliance-organized LBC-United Football League said there are many established clubs in the Visayas and Mindanao, one reason why he believes that there is room for football to grow along with basketball. "Football is growing especially at the youth level, and being a World Cup year we hope that every game sparks interest," Hagedorn said. – HS, GMANews.TV

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast