twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Golden Stags In The PBL

Share/Bookmark

Re: Golden Stags In The PBL

WE PRAY THAT THE SSC LED EXCELROOF TEAM WINS THE CROWN TODAY!

GOD BLESS THE TEAM!
    KNOWLEDGE IS BEST WITH VIRTUES...

Ato Agustin's championship magic continues for the San Sebastian Golden Stags. After claiming the NCAA Season 85 diadem by dethroning powerhouse San Beda, and taking the National Students crown, he and his Stags with Excel Roof have now taken the 2010 PBL PG Flex Erase Placenta Cup championship. They totally outplayed and outfoxed Pharex B Complex-UP in Game 2 of the Finals 97 - 92.

Both teams came out swinging, with Reymar Gutilban, seldom used in this conference, starting for Coach Aboy Castro and setting the tone early with a couple of good baskets and a masterful job containing Excel Roof hotshot Jimbo Aquino. Aquino totally torched Pharex in Game 1 with 27 huge points. In the first period of this game Gutilban applied phone booth D to keep him from heating up early. Both teams were getting alternating runs that resulted in a roller-coaster game.

In one stretch Excel Roof would take a lead of six or eight points on the outside sniping of Pamboy Raymundo and the inside incursions of Anthony Del Rio, with Calvin Abueva providing interior hustle and rebounding insurance. In another stretch Pharex would go on a run of their own to seize back the lead with Bulacan speedster Earnest Reyes busting out in transition, Arvin Braganza scoring from the long court, and Vic Manuel powering his way inside.

Suddenly Pharex was getting the better end of the deal when the B Complex took a 41-33 lead late in the second period. Agustin called a timeout, disappointment and frustration clear on his face, as his boys jog-stepped to their huddle. "I told them we have to go down in transition and defend the outlet and the fastbreak, especially that (Ernest) Reyes guy, because he was the one who killed us in the eliminations," Agustin explained in the post-game interview. "We have a plan and we have to stick to it like we did in Game 1, luckily the boys responded in the second half," he added.

It still took a while for the 25-ers to get it though, as Pharex built a quick 65-55 lead midway through the pivotal third period. Manuel was waxing hot, as was Woody Co, and it looked like the B Complex would force a winner-take-all Game 3. They were clicking on offense and shutting down the Excel Roof perimeter on defense with their high 2-3 zone anchored on Braganza and Ernest Reyes. Things took a sudden turn for the worse though when Manuel caught an elbow in the mouth-nose area, an elbow not caught by the officials. Manuel had to sit out the latter half of the third period and a long stretch of the payoff fourth period. With double-double machine Ford Arao saddled with fouls, Pharex suddenly became a shorter team, and this is where Excel Roof made its move.

Abueva, Ronald Pascual, Gilbert Bulawan, Chester Taylor and Ian Sangalang went to work in the absence of Manuel. Overhauling the deficit, Excel Roof went on a tear of their own, taking an 84-78 lead with about four minutes left. They never looked back from there. Manuel and Arao still kept fighting, getting power layups inside and three-point opportunities. Excel Roof however simply had answers for everything as Raymundo doused every last minute rally with steadiness on the floor and the freethrow line.

Raymundo led all scorers with 24 points while Abueva added 22 and 12 rebounds. Abueva was named the Finals MVP for back-to-back 20-10 games.

Manuel led Pharex with 19 points while Arao had 14 and 10 rebounds. Manuel was named the tournament MVP in simple awarding ceremonies before the game.

Joining Manuel in the Mythical 5 were JR "Shaq" Taganas of Cossack Blue, Sangalang, and two Cobra gunners in Paul Lee and Patrick Cabahug.

Gameface is Philippine Basketball
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

KUDOS TO THE WHOLE TEAM!

May you have more CHAMPIONSHIP to come this YEAR2010!

GOD BLESS THE WHOLE TEAM!

Ato Agustin: From top guard to hotshot coach
    By Jasmine W. Payo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 02:18:00 03/29/2010

MANILA, Philippines—With his third basketball championship in five months, Renato “Ato” Agustin may have erased any lingering doubt on his growing stature as a coaching marvel as well.

A former PBA Most Valuable Player, Agustin felt like he’s going through the same successful cycle as a coach, but this time at a much quicker pace.

“I feel blessed,” said Agustin, minutes after steering the Excelroof 25ers to the PBL PG Flex-Erase Placenta Cup championship last Saturday.

“All the awards that I got as a player, it’s like I’m starting to achieve them again.”

Agustin guided the 25ers to a surprise 2-0 Finals sweep of the Pharex B Complex Maroons, just a few months after piloting the San Sebastian College Stags to a historic NCAA championship run in October and the CHEd National Games last February.

“I’ve always emphasized team effort,” said Agustin. “I don’t have all my San Sebastian players here in the PBL, but I made sure that we’re like a family. If there’s one player who did well, credit goes to everyone.”

The 25ers—led by the top quartet of Finals MVP Calvin Abueva, Jimbo Aquino, Pamboy Raymundo and Mythical Team member Ian Sangalang—completed their conquest of the top-seeded Maroons with a 97-92 Game 2 triumph last Saturday.

Two days earlier, the 25ers rallied from 17 points down before pulling off a 97-87 overtime victory in the opener of the best-of-three title series.

Excelroof became the first team to capture a crown on its maiden run since 1995, when the Stag Pale Pilsen accomplished the feat.

“I feel proud because we showed that we can still win outside the school leagues,” said Agustin, one of the PBA’s 25 all-time best players.

“It’s important because the style of play in the PBL is different in the collegiate leagues. It’s just like a step away from the PBA.”

Before bagging the 1992 PBA MVP plum with San Miguel, Agustin also had championship stints with Yco, Hope and Swift when the league was still known as the Philippine Amateur Basketball League.

“He has blossomed into one fine coach,” said Excelroof team owner Edwin Chua. “We hope, he will remain humble despite the continued blessings that come his way.”

Quote Originally Posted by untamed
    Ato Agustin: From top guard to hotshot coach
    By Jasmine W. Payo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 02:18:00 03/29/2010

MANILA, Philippines—With his third basketball championship in five months, Renato “Ato” Agustin may have erased any lingering doubt on his growing stature as a coaching marvel as well.

A former PBA Most Valuable Player, Agustin felt like he’s going through the same successful cycle as a coach, but this time at a much quicker pace.

“I feel blessed,” said Agustin, minutes after steering the Excelroof 25ers to the PBL PG Flex-Erase Placenta Cup championship last Saturday.

“All the awards that I got as a player, it’s like I’m starting to achieve them again.”

Agustin guided the 25ers to a surprise 2-0 Finals sweep of the Pharex B Complex Maroons, just a few months after piloting the San Sebastian College Stags to a historic NCAA championship run in October and the CHEd National Games last February.

“I’ve always emphasized team effort,” said Agustin. “I don’t have all my San Sebastian players here in the PBL, but I made sure that we’re like a family. If there’s one player who did well, credit goes to everyone.”

The 25ers—led by the top quartet of Finals MVP Calvin Abueva, Jimbo Aquino, Pamboy Raymundo and Mythical Team member Ian Sangalang—completed their conquest of the top-seeded Maroons with a 97-92 Game 2 triumph last Saturday.

Two days earlier, the 25ers rallied from 17 points down before pulling off a 97-87 overtime victory in the opener of the best-of-three title series.

Excelroof became the first team to capture a crown on its maiden run since 1995, when the Stag Pale Pilsen accomplished the feat.

“I feel proud because we showed that we can still win outside the school leagues,” said Agustin, one of the PBA’s 25 all-time best players.

“It’s important because the style of play in the PBL is different in the collegiate leagues. It’s just like a step away from the PBA.”

Before bagging the 1992 PBA MVP plum with San Miguel, Agustin also had championship stints with Yco, Hope and Swift when the league was still known as the Philippine Amateur Basketball League.

“He has blossomed into one fine coach,” said Excelroof team owner Edwin Chua. “We hope, he will remain humble despite the continued blessings that come his way.”

CREDIT ALSO GOES TO ATO AGUSTIN.... CONGRATS COACH! GOD BLESS!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2