twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight Thread

Share/Bookmark

Re: Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight Thread

i never said that floyd was afraid of manny or ducking manny. to me it just seems ridiculous for a fighter of floyd's skill level to be scared of pac, who although exciting, is technically deficient. as a boxing fan, i love watching him fight. he's probably the most skilled fighter of this generation, is naturally bigger than manny, so it makes no sense for him to be scared.

but with his behavior the past few weeks, coming up with newer and weirder excuses not to make the fight happen, i change my mind. he's scared.

Floyd deserves bigger cut? Analyst says no

ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 05/15/2012 7:10 PM | Updated as of 05/15/2012 7:10 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s victory over Miguel Cotto generated $94 million in pay-per-views, suggesting that the unbeaten boxer has every right to refuse a 50-50 revenue split with Manny Pacquiao.

But boxing analyst Chris Mannix disagrees.

“That would be wrong,” Mannix said in his column in Sports Illustrated.*

“For all the talk of Mayweather's pay-per-view power, Pacquiao's numbers are fairly comparable,” he said.

Mannix cited that Mayweather generated approximately $540 million or 9.6 million buys in his last nine pay-per-view fights.

Pacquiao, on the other hand, had $525 million buys on 9.9 million buys in 15 pay-per-views – “several of which were smaller shows put on by Top Rank early in his career,” said Mannix.

He said the comparison makes Mayweather’s label on Pacquiao as a “$7-million fighter” inaccurate.

Mannix also made the following comparisons:

Mayweather-Cotto -- 1.5 million buys

Pacquiao vs. Marquez -- 1.25 million buys

Mayweather vs. Ortiz -- 1.25 million buys

Pacquiao vs Mosley -- 1.2 million buys

“Mayweather and Pacquiao are comparable draws now,” he said.

Mannix also cited the strengths of each boxer in the pay-per-view market.

He said the trash-talking Mayweather is likely to get higher ratings on HBO's "24/7" over the more reserved Pacquiao.

But the charismatic Pacquiao is likely to generate the lion's share of the revenue outside the US.

“In a fight that could generate north of $150 million in revenue, Pacquiao would be foolish to accept Mayweather's offer of a flat fee of $40 million,” said Mannix.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Arum goes with 45-45 split for Manny-Floyd fight
    By Roy Luarca
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    10:00 pm | Monday, May 14th, 2012
    share76*62
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. AP/INQUIRER FILE PHOTOS
    PROMOTER Bob Arum, accused of stan-ding in the way of a Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao fight, has offered a compromise proposal to the new WBA junior middleweight champion.
    Going with Pacquiao’s stance on the revenue-sharing scheme, Arum said on Saturday night’s premiere of HBO’s The Fight Game with Jim Lampley, that he is amenable to a 45-45 percent split, with the remaining 10 percent going to the winner of the megabuck fight.
    “Manny Pacquiao has now taken the position, which I endorse,” said Arum.
    “If Floyd Mayweather thinks he’s the greatest fighter of all time, let’s do it 45 percent to Mayweather, 45 percent to Pacquiao and 10 percent to the winner.”
    In January, Mayweather called Pacquiao and offered him a flat purse of $40 million but with zero share in the pay-per-view revenues. Pacquiao rejected it.
    The unbeaten Mayweather, claiming he is boxing’s biggest draw, also stressed that he will not agree to a 50-50 split.
    “If Mayweather believes he can beat Pacquiao, which I don’t think he believes, he’ll pick up more than 50 percent that way,” Arum said. “But it’s up to Floyd.”
    Mayweather’s last fight with Miguel Cotto on May 6 drew 1.5 million PPV buys, eclipsing the 1.41 million Pacquiao posted in besting Juan Manuel Marquez by unanimous decision last November.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17