twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: FEU Milestones

Share/Bookmark

FEU Manila won second place in the recent Philippine Psychological Association of the Philippines – Junior Affiliates (PAPJA) Interschool Psychology Quiz Challenge. The PAPJA convention is the biggest annual event for Psychology students in the country. The #FEU team is composed of Bachelor of Science in Psychology undergraduates Milo C. Gacusan, Josephena Patricia P. Co, Erron Christopher R. Bacalan, and Chin Chin H. Diaz.
    Everything's Eventual

FEU Diliman Sports Center
    Everything's Eventual

Jojo Lastimosa joins FEU program as Tams look to build champion team from the ground up

February 17, 2014, 04:05 pm

FEU board representative Anton Montinola says with Jojo Lastimosa onboard, the school hopes to to duplicate the successful sports program of San Beda which has been consistently producing high school standouts every year. Jerome Ascano

JOJO Lastimosa has joined Far Eastern University's sports program and the school is not closing the door on the PBA great possibly being included in the coaching staff of its basketball teams in the future.

Anton Montinola, FEU’s representative to the UAAP board, said Lastimosa has agreed to become part of the school as consultant, his role mainly to train kids that could possibly be part of the school’s varsity teams in high school and even in college.

The inclusion of Lastimosa, who is no stranger to organizing basketball clinics for kids, coincided with the unveiling of the school's brand-new sports center in its FEU Diliman high school campus that will help develop athletes for the school.

“Jolas will join us,” said Montinola. “He will be part of the program to train kids. That’s what he has been doing for Alaska.”

With Lastimosa on board, Montinola said FEU is definitely open to the former Alaska star being part of the coaching staff someday.

“We will see. Maybe,” said Montinola. “He is definitely qualified. Overqualified pa nga eh. Maybe he doesn’t want to do that yet. Maybe he just wants to see how the kids are. Siguro consultant muna.”

FEU has just extended Nash Racela's contract as head coach until 2016, with Lastimosa’s former Alaska teammate Johnny Abarrientos part of the coaching staff as one of Racela’s deputies.

For now, Montinola said Lastimosa’s entry hopes to boost the basketball program of FEU as it looks to duplicate the successful sports program of San Beda which has been consistently producing high school standouts every year.

“We hope to have a program as good or better than San Beda, which is the standard (of high school basketball). We all know San Beda has a very successful program. We believe we can do that with this facility. We will rely on people like Jolas and Johnny A. to help us,” said Montinola.
    " Ang Sumabay Giba !!! "

Ganda ah.
    " Ang Sumabay Giba !!! "

WHEN WILL FEU RETIRE HIS JERSEY NO. 6?

ANTHONY WILLIAMS, an American Medical student who played forward for the FEU Tamaraws from 1979-1981. UAAP MVP in 1981. He was even described in a discussion forum as one of the most dominant player in UAAP history. He wore jersey no. 6.

Many of us, including me, knows little about him. I know him as an American who once played for the FEU Tamaraws and won an MVP honor. But that's all. I've been looking for any articles or videos that would tell me the rest of the story but to no avail..

Until last month, I was able to find him through some of my facebook friends who happens to be his teammates back in the day, and I'm fortunate to communicate with him and ask him the following..

1. HOW DID YOU BECOME PART OF THE FEU TAMARAWS?

"In 1978 I was stationed at Subic Bay. I left the Marine Corp. In the summer of 79' I returned to the Philippines. I knew some people in Olongapo city. They took me to Manila. Once there I went first to Adamson. They had no practice facility. The same for NU. Then I was taken to LaSalle they really didn't show much interest in me. Mind u I'm over 6'4 1/2" we had no car so we were getting around by Jeepney's. Next I went to UE. They set me up to practice with their team. I met coach Pumeran. He instantly offered me a scholarship. But at that time UE had no player facilities. Next we went to UST. Same results I practiced with the team. Offered a scholarship. No facilities for players. Then I went to FEU. Mind you I did not try out for their team. I met with Alfredo Reyes, FEU's VP and his secretary Pricilla Florido. They spoke in Tagalog to my chaperones. Later I found out what the conversation was about. Mr. Reyes had asked was I good in basketball? My chaperone had told him what we had done and who had showed interest. He said that we were next going to UP in Dilliman, and later Ateneo. That was enough for Alfredo Reyes. Instantly he called coach Valenzona. I had a spot on the team without them ever seeing me play. Next Mr.Reyes converted part of the P.E. Annex into a players quarters to accommodate me. I stayed the night with my friend Manding Ordonez of Loudores Ext. The next day I practiced with FEU, of course I made the team. Later UST had contacted me and told me that they would arrange for me to live at the their hospital. But they said that I would I have to take courses in religion. I told them sorry I had already committed to FEU. This was before cell phones and instant messages. I was later told that every school had wanted me. It was too late. FEU had taken a chance and I was indebted to them for their generosity. The rest is history. Mind you it wasn't easy. It was tough in the beginning."

2. WHAT WAS YOUR COURSE THEN AND HOW WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE STUDYING AT FEU?

"Initially my course was the institute of education. Later I changed to the institute of medical technology."

3. WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE PLAYING FOR THE TAMARAWS? AN UNFORGETTABLE GAME PERHAPS.

"My most memorable moment. I have 2. First I was the first foreigner to ever get the MVP of the UAAP. Second I played on the RP youth team in the ASEAN games. Although we did not win, it was a proud moment to know that they felt that strongly about me that I was selected to represent their country."

4. WE ALL KNOW THAT FEU LAST WON ITS MEN'S BASKETBALL CROWN IN 2005, AND SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T HELP BUT FEEL FRUSTRATED FOR THE LONG DROUGHT. IF THE CURRENT FEU BASKETBALL PLAYERS ARE ABLE TO READ THIS, WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE THEM MR. WILLIAMS?

"My answer to question four. Is this basketball is now a worldwide sport. You must now practice and master your craft. It is not enough just to be good. You have to be great. You have to multitask. You be able to dribble well, shoot well, rebound well, and most of all defend well. Defense win games. New players need to spend more time stopping their opponents from scoring, and less worrying about scoring."

5. ANY MESSAGE FOR THE FEU COMMUNITY?

"As far a the FEU community goes. I had the privilege to have known Nicanor Reyes, Alfredo Reyes, Josephine Cojuanco-Reyes, Dennis Reyes, Dr. DeGuzman. Too many people really to mention. And they all went above and beyond to make me feel at home. That truly is a Filipino hallmark. I have great memories of my time there. I've always wanted to go back."

Thank you Mr. Anthony Williams for being nice and patient in answering my questions. We're looking forward to seeing you back here in The Philippines.. who knows, maybe on our 20th Championship celebration?! OR hopefully, with your jersey no. 6 being retired.
    — with Arturo Valenzona, Chris McGarry and Anthony Williams.
    Everything's Eventual

THE CHAMPION 1981 FEU TAMARAWS TEAM. (a part of their 3peat) including Harmon Codinera, Glen Capacio and the legendary Anthony Williams.

Everything's Eventual

Anthony Williams' Jersey should be up there.

Photos above courtesy of Mr. Jojo Valle and the FEU Tamaraws FB Page
    Everything's Eventual

What year is this? Pingris is with still with hair Isip and Catli.
    Everything's Eventual

1999 sir... #10 James Razon #20 gerard jones (at the back) cesar catli (right side), avenido (with towel)..
    mix daw yan ng team A and B during pre-season tournament.

2003 FEU tamaraws. probably the strongest and tallest FEU team in recent memory. most of them can play multiple positions
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast