twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao vs Cotto

Share/Bookmark

Re: Pacquiao vs Cotto

Five reasons why Manny will win.

1. Trainer / Coach - Freddie Roach, 49, is full of experience and adjudged the best trainer as of late. Joe Santiago, 32, is too young and inexperienced for a fight of this magnitude. Pacquiao-Roach relationship has been there for almost a decade. Cotto-Santiago connection as fighter-head coach just started a year ago.

2. Sparring mates - Manny's training will conclude with 150 rounds of boxing against quality boxers that could emulate Cotto's fighting style (i. e. Shawn Porter, Untillon, etc.). All of these boxers have gone a long way fighting professionally at least 30 times in their career except the young Shawn Porter whose record is is 10-0 with 8 KOs. Cotto only had two sparring mates and both of them are southpaw. The problem is these two are not even quality boxers in their career with average professional records of more or less 9-5.

3. Cotto's style - I watched some of Cotto's previous fights in youtube and Cotto's strength is indeed for real. There is one glaring weakness however, which is Cotto's tendency to telegraph a message whenever he is going to punch hard. I think this is one area Roach will exploit. Before Cotto release his punch, Manny will unleash his own power shot and then go sideways.

4. Manny's quickness, footwork and side-to-side movement. Cotto's style is best fit for a fighter who wants to fight fire with fire. Against a fighter who can hit quick power shots and go away sideway in less than a blink of a second, Cotto will find himself clueless.

5. Margarito exposed Cotto's weakness which is his face. Hatton, Dela Hoya, Diaz, Barrera, Morales, etc. Except Hatton, all of those guys are good all around fighters but Manny found ways to hit them hard in the face.
    "I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland. And I won't stop until I get it." - LeBron James

The very next NBA season Lebron changed uniform..... Bading!

Even if the odds are against him, im rooting for Cotto.
    Everything's Eventual

I just read the New York Times article.

The one bit of info that really stood out was his running away from home because his father ate the family dog. Damn. What kind of father does that?
    People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

^ Can you post link? Tnx.
    "I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland. And I won't stop until I get it." - LeBron James

The very next NBA season Lebron changed uniform..... Bading!

People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

Based on what I have read and seen lately, I think Manny will beat Cotto relatively easily, similar to the Diaz fight, for a couple of reasons:

* First, Cotto will obviously have problems matching Manny's speed. His punching power in terms of doing damage to Manny I feel is also a bit overrated. Cotto wasn't able to knock out Malignaggi, while a supposedly smaller fighter like Hatton was able to dispose of Malignaggi in the eleventh round of their match.

* Second, that split with his trainer, who also happened to be his uncle, has a big psychological effect on Cotto. It was an ugly split, with Cotto breaking his uncle's nose and ribs, and then Evangelista throwing a brick on Cotto's SUV. Evangelista has reportedly now filed a USD 7.5 million suit against Miguel in Puerto Rico. That kind of family problem has got to be a major distraction.

* Next, Cotto replaced his uncle, whom he has worked with in his corner winning title belts, with a nobody in Santiago. As a result, his performance against Clottey was not particularly convincing. In effect, Cotto is basically running his own show, with a mediocre trainer in his corner. Manny, on the other hand, has a genius in Freddie Roach in his corner.

* I agree with mighty_lion that Cotto's sparring partners were mediocre, basically unknowns. Manny, on the other hand, has been sparring with a boxing legend in Luis Castillo, and in legitimate future upcoming stars like Shawn Porter. Take note that Porter is a Jr. Middleweight, fighting at 154 lbs., heavier than Cotto who is only a Welterweight (147 lbs.). Porter is currently 10-0, with 8 knockouts. A bigger fighter, who can punch. I think this aspect alone shows the quality (or lack of) of the training camps of both fighters for this fight.

* Lastly, I think Cotto's devastating loss to Margarito has really affected him tremendously. He quit that match, kneeling down after the last onslaught by Margarito, and refusing to stand up to fight again. He surrendered, because he couldn't take it anymore. Roach himself talked about being knocked out, and losing ten fights in his next fights after that because suddenly, he realized that he was not invincible. Diaz, who is now on Manny's camp but previously worked with Cotto also said that Cotto was not the same fighter another after being beaten to a pulp by Margarito.

So, Cotto is at a disadvantage in terms of speed, with a mediocre trainer, hiring mediocre sparring fighters, and distracted by personal and psychological problems. A recipe for disaster in my book.

I hope my assumptions are right, and if they are, Cotto will go down hard on the fight this weekend.
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

excited! ;D

Speed kills. Cotto will be a sitting duck. Of course you can't count out the lucky punch. As long as Manny is careful and fights his regular fight then world title seven is already in the bag. The contrasting styles favors Pacman and the size difference does not give Cotto too much of an advantage. I would even bet that Pacquiao has more power than Cotto. It may be true that Pacquiao has never fought anybody with Cotto's power but you cannot hurt what you cannot hit. It is of course definite that Cotto has never faced anybody with Pacman's power and speed. Margarito's loaded hands would now seem like a Sunday stroll in the park compared to 12 rounds with Pacman.

On the side:

"Manny Pacquiao's nickname is 'The Mexicutioner.' He's beaten more Latinos than the police. Pacquiao...unanimous decision." - George Lopez, Comedian, Actor, and Host of Lopez Tonight!

I was just surfing the web and looking at those old Cotto fights. I agree with Lion's comment that Cotto has a tendency to telegraph his punches: very pronounced yung pag "buelo" ng kamay just before he unleashes a strong punch. A smart opponent should have ample time to read the cocking of the arm and adjust accordingly. On the other hand, Manoy's power punches remind me of the late Bruce Lee's "one-inch" punch (boy, that was a joy to watch back in the day) - sheer power off the blocks and no need for momentum. The only way you could prepare for thiose punches is to have a good cut man in your corner and a bucket of ice to cool down your swollen face on your way back to the dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Even if the odds are against him, im rooting for Cotto.
    DK, you always root for whoever Pacquiao's opponent is. ;D
    What you grinning at Pyscho?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast