twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Adamson Imports sa Season 73?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Adamson Imports sa Season 73?

[img width=533 height=800]http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Joescoundrel/IMG_1494.jpg[/img]

Image by Max Ferrer

From Inquirer Sports - - -

FEU Tams nip Eagles; Falcons trip Bulldogs

By Jasmine W. Payo

MANILA, Philippines—Far Eastern University wasted no time backing up its tag as tournament favorite by downing back-to-back champion Ateneo de Manila University right on its first assignment Sunday.

The Tamaraws dealt the Blue Eagles their first opening-game loss in five years, 72-69, to join the early leaders in the 73rd UAAP men’s basketball competition at the jampacked Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

“We’re lucky that we won this game even with 21 turnovers [against Ateneo’s 11],” said FEU coach Glenn Capacio. “We were up against the champion team and I’m just happy that our team didn’t fold up in the endgame.”

RR Garcia, the second-year guard whom Capacio described as “super,” matched his career-high 25 points, hitting the key baskets when the game was on the line.

Garcia completed a key three-point play that pushed the Tamaraws ahead, 70-67, with 1:19 minutes remaining, and then added a free throw for 71-69, with 12 seconds left, after a jumper by Ateneo’s Ryan Buenafe trimmed the gap, 70-69.

Ateneo had a chance to tie the game, but Nico Salva missed an undergoal attempt in the dwindling seconds.

Adamson University joined the early winners with a 60-54 triumph over National University in the first game.

The Falcons’ veteran forwards stepped up as Eric Camson posted a double-double of 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Janus Lozada and Jan Colina shot 11 markers each.

“We didn’t really shoot the basket well from the outside,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black. “We played hard; it’s just that we also played against a very good team.”

The last time Ateneo dropped an opening game was against fierce rival De La Salle University, 60-78, on July 10, 2005.

It was also the first time FEU prevailed over Ateneo in two years since July 31, 2008, when the Tamaraws took a 72-66 decision.

Adamson also posted its first opening-day victory in five years since the Falcons downed the Bulldogs, 116-103, on July 10, 2005.

“We’ve been running our offense for two years, so I told them there’s no way that [the veterans] would still struggle,” said coach Leo Austria of his Falcons.

La Salle and University of Santo Tomas pulled off upsets against separate opponents last Saturday.

Both Adamson and NU unveiled their African recruits, but it was the Bulldogs’ Emmanuel Mbe who had a stronger debut.

Mbe, a 6-foot-7 center from Cameroon, had eight points, 11 rebounds and a pair of blocks.

In women’s action, last year’s MVP Amby Almazan shot 22 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead defending champion Adamson to an 84-53 rout of La Salle at the FilOil-Flying V Arena in San Juan City.

The Lady Bulldogs clobbered the University of the Philippines Lady Maroons, 69-56.

FEU coasted to a 72-55 win over UST while Ateneo drubbed University of the East, 74-59, in other women’s games earlier at the Big Dome.

From Jasmine Payo, Inquirer Sports - - -

Eagles Survive; Archers Fumble

Ateneo de Manila University went through some anxious moments for the second straight game but this time, the Blue Eagles hang tough to score their first win in the 73rd UAAP men’s basketball competition Thursday at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig City.

Emman Monfort shone in the homestretch to tow Ateneo to its first victory, a nail-biting 69-66 decision over the hard-fighting Adamson University Falcons.

Monfort canned six free throws in the dwindling seconds, the last two with 6.7 ticks left to keep the Eagles on top after the Falcons had trimmed the lead to just a point, 67-66, with an Alex Nuyles jumper.

“I think Adamson is one of the most difficult teams [to beat] in the league,” said Ateneo coach Norman Black. “We always have a hard time against them. They match up well with us, mainly because of their [big men].”

National University, though, spoiled De La Salle University’s bid to grab the solo lead with a 59-55 upset in the second game.

All four teams wound up with similar 1-1 records.

Emmanuel Mbe, a 6-foot-5 rookie from Cameroon, got the Bulldogs off to a strong start, burying 10 in the first quarter on the way to 21 points on top of 19 rebounds and one blocked shot.

“I just did my job and I’m proud of it,” said Mbe, one of three Africans seeing action in the league this season.

Jewel Ponferrada also stepped up in the final quarter, scoring all of his eight points in the last seven minutes to help the Bulldogs fend off a late La Salle rally.

“We tried to execute well as a team,” said new Bulldogs coach Eric Gonzales. “Our goal is still to be the No. 1 defensive team in the league.”

Kirk Long shot a team-high 12 points, while Nico Salva had 10 points, 11 rebounds and three assists as the back-to-back champion Eagles recovered from their opening-day 72-69 loss to the Far Eastern University Tamaraws last Sunday.

Eric Camson had a chance to win the game for the Falcons, but missed a three-point attempt at the buzzer.

“We went into this season knowing that the first two games we’re going to play are probably against two of the top teams,” said Black. “I have a lot of respect for Adamson. They’re 10-players deep and they’re well coached.”

The Eagles stretched their head-to-head winning streak against the Falcons to 26 games dating back to the 1997 season.

A 5-0 spurt erased the Falcons’ six-point advantage, 63-67, to just a point at 63-62.

Two consecutive turnovers doomed the Falcons as Monfort nailed six free throws to push the Eagles ahead going into the last minute.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3