twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Contenders

Share/Bookmark

Re: The Contenders

calderon retains his title via technical draw. the fight was stopped in the 6th round due to a huge cut on calderon caused by an accidental headbutt. scores were 58-56 mayol, 58-56 calderon, 57-57 at the time of stoppage. sayang. but then again you won't really get a decision at a stadium full of puerto ricans on their independence day celebration. hope he gets a rematch.

"marvelous" marvin sonsona vs jose lopez, sept 4, 2009 in ontario, canada for lopez wbo superfly title
    rodel "batang mandaue" mayol vs ivan calderon, sept 12, 2009 in puerto rico for calderon's wbo lightflyweight title
    manny pacquiao vs miguel cotto, nov 14, 2009, las vegas for cotto's wbo welterweight title

in addition,

bernabe "kamaong llave" concepcion vs steven luevano, aug 15, 2009 in las vegas for luevano's wbo featherweight title. next week na to. finally the oft-postponed fight will push thru. good luck abe!

thanks for the announcement on bernabe concepcion's fight. all the best to abe, he's fighting a brawler known for his granite chin.

"Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

^^ bernabe concepcion lost ignominiously to steven luevano. at the end of the 7th round, a visibly outboxed concepcion struck luevano, who already dropped his guard, with a quick one-two combination that knocked out the american. problem is, it was after the bell. the filipino fighter's camp contended that abe did not hear the bell and that referee jay nagy was behind the action instead of getting in front, as per boxing guidelines when the 10-second warning is issued.

on the other hand, nonito donaire won the interim superflyweight title from a horribly overweight rafael concepcion, who failed to meet the 115 lb. weight limit and stepped into the ring as a junior lightweight at 130, via unanimous decision. because the filipino flash hurt his left hand in the 2nd round, donaire was forced to use his right for the rest of the way. yun lang, parang kalabaw na sugod nang sugod hetong kalaban nya. even with his high percentage of power shots connecting from basically every angle, donaire said later that his opponent was too strong to even feel them.

bad news from ontario. marvin sonsona has been dethroned as WBO superflyweight champ even before throwing a single punch when he came in 2.6 pounds over the 115 pound limit. we've been so spoiled by pac's success but there in the fringes are still the same old problems with pinoy boxers, lack of discipline. we've had so many one-and-done fighters, talented and skilled enough to win world titles yet once they get the belt they lose the dedication, focus and hunger needed to stay on top, guys like rolando bohol, moris east, rolando pascua (the only fighter to KO legendary mexican humberto gonzalez), tacy macalos, bobby berna, frank cedeno, eric chavez, malcolm tunacao, florante condes. it's like a trend with pinoys - win a title against great odds, lose it on your 1st or 2nd defense.

same thing happened to pacquiao but he stayed the course and won more titles at heavier weights. true, sonsona's fast outgrowing the 115 pound ranks but he had months to prepare for this. not making weight shows lack of discipline. hope he doesn't fall by the wayside like the others. he's talented and strong enough to win titles in 2 or 3 more divisions. marami pang paiiyakin itong batang to.

rodel mayol is also challenging edgar sosa for the WBC junior fly (108 pound) title. let's hope mayol finally wins in his 5th attempt at a world title, and to replace the title lost by sonsona.

we have a new world champ! congrats to rodel mayol. after heartbreak losses in previous tries vs ivan calderon and ulises solis, he finally came through. this somehow eases the pain of sonsona losing his title on the scales.

from fightnews.com

Mayol takes Sosa’s WBC belt

Saturday night in Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiappas, Mexico, Filipino challenger Rodel Mayol (25-4-1, 19 KOs) scored a second round TKO over longtime WBC light flyweight champion Edgar Sosa (37-5, 21 KOs), who was making his 11th defense (in 28 months). After Sosa was badly hurt by an unintentional headbutt, he was dropped again when action resumed and the referee waved it off moments later. Mayol was successful in his fifth attempt at a world title.

Sonsona loses belt, perfect record

By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada

It turned out to be quite the day for nineteen year-old Marvin Sonsona. In the morning we lost his WBO junior-bantamweight belt on the scales, coming in over two-and-a-half pounds over the 115 pound limit. Things didn’t go much better in the evening as the Philippine fighter escaped with a draw over a determined Alejandro Hernandez (22-7-2 11KO) by score of 115-113, 113-115, 114-114. The WBO title will remain vacant. It was clear that from the early going that these were two fighters operating on different planes, with the former champion waving and smiling to the crowd while a determined Hernandez was trying to make the most of his title opportunity. The talent level favoured the tall lanky Sonsona who was able to bank some early rounds over the Mexican who showed no quit on the evening.

methinks marvin is still growing so he should already be moving up the bantamweight ranks. he also needs some focus to develop his killer instinct. in pinoy basketball lingo, he's the type na "laro na, nilalaro pa."

Agree. He is far away than what people would like him to be, next Pacman. Walang pamatay na suntok at walang "explosiveness" sa mata.

Nung blow by blow days ni Pacquiao alam mo pagtumama yong kaliwa tapos na ang laban.
    "I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland. And I won't stop until I get it." - LeBron James

The very next NBA season Lebron changed uniform..... Bading!

Z Gorres. i guess we're all still in shock which is why we haven't posted about him. he was my favorite among the contenders, a classic stylist, probably our best technical boxer after gerry peñalosa. if not for questionable judging, he would've been credited with wins over montiel and vic the raging bull darchinyan. could've set him up for big money fights vs arce and mijares.

important thing now is he recovers fully. he'll be a good trainer, i think.

get well soon and thanks for the memories, Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    methinks marvin is still growing so he should already be moving up the bantamweight ranks. he also needs some focus to develop his killer instinct. in pinoy basketball lingo, he's the type na "laro na, nilalaro pa."
    scuttlebutt is marvin will move not 1 but 2 divisions up to superbantam (122). juanma lopez is vacating the wbo title and another puerto rican, veteran wilfredo vazquez, 56(41)-9(4)-2, is being groomed to challenge for the title against a tough opponent. marvin is being eyed as that opponent. i don't know if he's ready for this but if he could beat another crafy vet like jose carita lopez, then maybe he can beat this vazquez. and boxing prodigies like marvin should be given tough fights vs vets, not fed patsies like boom boom bautista and aj banal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast