twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Contenders

Share/Bookmark

The Contenders

let's discuss other pinoy contenders like bazooka banal, boom boom bautista, z gorres, bernabe concepcion, randy komong bato suico, michael domingo, milan melindo, brian viloria, rodel mayol, sonny boy jaro, rexon flores, eric canoy, juanito rubillar, etc. and these are just the world-rated fighters. marami pang opbf-rated fighters diyan. there might never be another manny pacquiao, but pinoy boxing is more than just manny paquiao.

in a few hours, juanito rubillar will challenge edgar sosa of mexico for the wbc light flyweight title in mexico. good luck juanito! bring home the country's 5th world title!

Re: The Contenders

of this group, it's turning out to be bernabe concepcion who's the most promising at this point. as the NABF superbantamweight titleholder, he has the body and the punching power of a superwelterweight. i heard boxing commentator max kellerman remark that he intimidates opponents simply by the size of his guns. definitely in prime position for a title fight in 2009.

edited to add: edgar sosa retained his title against pinoy juanito rubillar via a 7th round TKO. sosa rocked rubillar with a wicked left hook, and that very much sealed the pinoy fighter's fate.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

This year, Banal, Gorres and Boom-boom have all been disappointing. I was expecting at least one of them to be world champ by year's end.
    People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

I think the 3 should transfer to Freddie Roach. While Manny should be credited, I think that Roach has also been instrumental to Manny's improvement from a rag-tag one-dimensional fighter to the complete (almost) fighter that he is today.

USTE LO MEJOR!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!
    "Every person must, in the exercise of his rights and in the performance of his duties, act with justice, give everyone his due, and observe honesty and good faith."

gorres was ok in 2 fights this year, winning over nick otieno of kenya and drawing against vic darchinyan in a fight he could have won. of the 3 ALA boys, pinaka sayang si Z because if you look at it he had his fights he had a bum decision against montiel and had his fight against darchinyan almost all sewed up yet he faded in the final 3 rounds like in the monitel fight. it's frustrating how darchinyan, montiel, mijares and arce are lining up against each other for high-profile big-money fights when you know Z's technically a better boxer than any of those guys.

AJ was overwhelmed i guess by the atmosphere of fighting for a world title which is why he faded. he's still a bright, bright prospect though, a future multi-division world champ.

boom boom learned a lot more getting mauled by heriberto ruiz than in all his 1st round KOs against patsies put together. maybe now he understands that defense is as vital as offense and you can't be a slugger everytime all the time.

stop feeding these guys tomato cans that they can knock out in 2-3 rounds. feed them to the tough, grizzled no-nonsense vets like ruiz and they'll learn a lot more and mature faster.

Actually, the overseas exposure the likes of Gorres and Boom boom have gotten is one other positive result of Pacquiao's rise to stardom. More and more Pinoy pugs are being given a second look by promoters. But it's up to them to make the most of their opportunity. And here is where proper training comes in. Many of these Pinoy prospects built up their records fighting mediocre opposition in the Philippines. So they're not really prepared for the tough grind in the US. I read recently about a boxing observer saying Boom boom was poorly trained for his recent bout, and they even had a friend who knew nothing about boxing serve as his cutman.

Pacquiao was lucky to hook up with Roach not long after arriving in the US. If we are really be a boxing hotbed, we need to "train the trainers" as well, Or at the very least send the most promising prospects to the US and train them there long term.
    People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

Pinas will never run out of boxing talent (heck, I even had a close relative who briefly held an international boxing belt for a while). Where we fall short is in proper training in all aspects of the sweet science (tactics, conditioning, fundamentals, cut management, etc.). When Pax retires form the ring in the very near future, I hope he gets into local development of these aspects of the sport and forget about entering politics. Pax's overseas exposure has given him a lot of insight and experience into the sport that not many back home see or will ever see in a lifetime. I just hope he undertakes a "technology transfer" and spreads this knowledge to the local folks. With the friendship Pax has developed with friends and foes in the ring (imagine Pax, Roach, Morales, David Diaz, and Oscar having fun in a karaoke bar - Marquez, saling pusa ka na lang) I hope this turns out well for local boxing.

former WBC jr flyweight (108 pound) champ brian viloria KO'd mexico's benjie garcia in a flyweight (112 pound) bout recently. viloria is currently unranked since moving up and garcia is hardly a contender with a 13-10-3 record but hopefully this gets brian back on track. brian's a power puncher but like gorres hasn't been able to finish off opponents. he's not like other pro boxers in that he has a degree in communications and doesn't need to fight for a living. let's hope he still has the hunger to compete at an elite level. we need another strong fighter to break the mexican and japanese stranglehold on the 112-115 titles.

WBC #3 and WBO#5 super bantam bernabe concepcion stakes his world ranking when he faces tough kenyan sande otieno (16-1-0) on jan 11, 2009 at the big dome. ganyan dapat ang pag-develop ng fighters, don't give them patsies. good luck abe.

C Nonito Donaire..He's a world champion but seems to be quite under the radar
    "Bring Everything to the Game"-LeBron James

nonito jr. is no longer a contender because he's already a world title holder. a contender aspires for his first world title belt.
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast