twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: From vocal cheering to drums...what happened?

Share/Bookmark

From vocal cheering to drums...what happened?

Ano bang nangyari?

Dati, buong boses na sabay sabay sumisigaw ayos na. Yun naman ang pag-cheer talaga. Sabay sabay na kumakanta ng mga fight songs kahit minsan walang mga banda.

Pero ngayon, mas gusto pang malakas ang drums. Mas gusto pang pag-usapan ang drums. Pinaguusapan ang dagundong ng drums. Ano ba meron diyan na hindi natin nalalaman?

Saan at paano ito nagsimula?
    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Re: From vocal cheering to drums...what happened?

This is a personal concern of mine since there's a trend among new generation of Bedans who seem to prefer drums over actual cheering.

What's the history behind the current trend?

COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Quote Originally Posted by danny

This is a personal concern of mine since there's a trend among new generation of Bedans who seem* to prefer drums over actual cheering.*

What's the history behind the current trend?

The cause?

Ignorance of traditional cheering, for one.
    A break in continuance of the transfer or passing on of cheering traditions from one generation to the next is second, and the cause of the first. The score for the fight songs and band staples were lost in time, and were resurrected only through relentless searching. Fortunately, the bandmaster in the 70s was still alive and still had the original scores, and this came in handy during our three-year success run so far.

Where did it start?
    The three-year absence in the 80s, for starters. This caused the break in continuity. Why keep a band and cheerleaders when there is nothing to use them for?

All the years of fruitless campaigns can also be blamed, and can be pinpointed for the apathy.

The seeds have been re-sown. What must be done is to ensure continuity by mentoring the next generation.
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

Pag walang alam na cheers and chants, daanin sa drums. Palakasan at padamihan ng drums. :P

UST happend, that's what. We were happy with having six drums in Araneta, (A-T-E-N-E-O) but somewhere along the way, we found ourselves playing catch-up to UST who had more drums than we had members.

^ Easy lang, dude. Baka lumabas ang hasang ng isang UST "insider" kuno diyan. ;D
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

I'm not sure if it was a conscious effort by the YJ but on my part, the drums and its beats were necessary during our "dark ages" because, admittedly, there were only a few of us following the Tigers' game religiously and we would never even come close to matching the the other gallery save maybe for NU and AdU. For schools with good cheering tradition, being taken over by their drumbeats is, indeed, a sad plight. But for us, it was by necessity. The Thomasian crowd has little by little caught on with the cheers and now that the number of drums allowed is being restricted UST crowd cheering can now stand toe-to-toe with every school. With that alone I give the YJs an A.

On the part whre some seem very interested in drumbeats, maybe it is more in the context of proving which are copycats and which are not because because in this time of generic sounding cheers and copycats the drumbeats can distinguish one cheer from another. I, myself, can't follow the beats, much less discern which are orig and which are copycats but it's interesting to know that some can.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue
    UST happend, that's what. We were happy with having six drums in Araneta, (A-T-E-N-E-O) but somewhere along the way, we found ourselves playing catch-up to UST who had more drums than we had members.
    So the YJ started the new trend - from vocal cheering to drum-based cheering?

I think it was a conscious effort on the initial members of the YJ to create more drumbeats to somehow offset our lack of old school cheering tradtion which you guys have along with San Beda, Letran and La Salle.

Anway, I do agree with the elders here (no pun intended) that cheering should be more on the vocal side rather than on the drums. In fact, I consider the rule limiting the no. of drums at the venue a blessing in disguise as it gave more audibility for the cheers.

USTE LO MEJOR!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

"Every person must, in the exercise of his rights and in the performance of his duties, act with justice, give everyone his due, and observe honesty and good faith."

Use of drums is also a problem in low-level collegiate leagues like the UCAA, NCRAA and NAASCU. While it is understandable that they bring drums, it's useless when it just creates noise pollution in small arenas tapos wala pang nanonood.

I remember one time, EAC and St Francis were playing at EAC's home floor, both EAC and SFAC used four drums apiece yet few students watched the game. Worse, you thought that it was New Year's Eve.

Anu ang use ng drums kung wala naman nanonood hindi ba?

bchoter, tigerman, admittedly natuwa din kami sa lakas ng dating ng drums ng UST. it was also during this time that UST was loridng over the UAAP. naturally, di rin pwede magpaiwan ang ibang mga cheering squad, BBB included, so an "arms race" ensued, paramihan na ng drums ang naging labanan. I recall that during the start of the school year, when we would shop around in Cubao for additional drums, skins and beaters, madalas, nauubusan kami ng mga high-quality merchandise, pinakyaw na daw ng ibang UAAP school :D

But i guess for us in the BBB, it was not really a conscious effort to get more drums than other UAAP schools, but rather, just get enough to stand toe-to-toe with the other schools. kaya pa naman namin tapatan sa boses eh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast