twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lion's Roar: San Beda Original Adopted by Others?

Share/Bookmark

Lion's Roar: San Beda Original Adopted by Others?

ung woo.. ooo..ooohh.. Go san beda fight.. i think ginaya lang din yun sa DLSU (correct me if im wrong)
    woo.. ooo..ooohh animo la salle..
    ANIMO!

Re: Cheers and Drumbeats

Quote Originally Posted by cub
    ginaya ng beda ung drum beat ng ateneo.. ung sumisigaw ung mga atenista ng "Go, Ateneo" (with their clap)..
    ung sa beda nga lang, walang sinasabi, beat lang..

pati ung woo.. ooo..ooohh.. Go san beda fight.. i think ginaya lang din yun sa DLSU (correct me if im wrong)
    You are wrong about the Lions Roar young cub. La Salle never had that cheer before the 70's. It was a derivation of the Indian Yell which was composed in the late 40's. We've been yelling that since then. It was Native American Inspired. San Beda is the only school that pays tribute to both the fierce Red Men of the New World and the Warrior Scots of the Old World, considered as brothers in spirit. We adopted their symbols and chants. Along with the Indian Yell, the Lions Roar is our rendition of Red Indian war chant. In our case, there is consistency and logic in the usage of the Lions Roar. Even the use of the Red Lion Rampant of Scotland/England is consistent with the Benedictine history.

As for La Salle, what has an Indian war chant got to do with a Swiss folk hero named Willam Tell? Nada. In the late 70's they adopted the roar to the horror of many Bedans. They usually yell it when they were agianst Ateneo as confirmed by an Atenean son of a Bedan in Atenista.net.

I too would like to know what inpsired La Salle to adopt a Red Indian war whoop.

I don't know about the other one. But if you have proof, we will gladly recognize Ateneo as an inspiration. Hindi naman tayo ma-emote pagdating sa ganyan. :D

Download the Animo Primer in Bedista.com. for starters. A Bedan collective undertook the initiative to put into print a few of the most important Bedan symbols , traditions and lore for the benefit of our new borthers and sisters during the PEP rally and Integration.

COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

Quote Originally Posted by cub
    ginaya ng beda ung drum beat ng ateneo.. ung sumisigaw ung mga atenista ng "Go, Ateneo" (with their clap)..
    ung sa beda nga lang, walang sinasabi, beat lang..

pati ung woo.. ooo..ooohh.. Go san beda fight.. i think ginaya lang din yun sa DLSU (correct me if im wrong)
    cub,

I am quite surprised that you are not aware of the Lion's Roar. That woo......oooohh, my friend, is the Lion's Roar. Papanong ginaya ng San Beda yon sa La Salle? On the contrary, La Salle ang gumaya nun sa atin.

Pero sige lang. Ok lang na gamitin nila. No big deal for us. Sabi nga ni Danny, hindi naman natin ipagkakait yan. Wag lang nilang angkinin na sa kanila.

This debate about copying of cheers has unfortunately reached gameface. matagal ng pinag debatehan ito sa ibang sites.

Actually, La Salle has been doing that cheer for a long time now.

Here is a post from GreenArrows at AP.com when someone posted the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArrows
    We do not do the indian yell drum beat. That's a San Beda exclusive since they are the only team in either the NCAA or UAAP that has Indian (meaning U.S. natives and not the Asians) mascots.

But if you are referring to the rain chant, please note La Salle cheerleaders were using the rain chant a month after it was famously sang during the Woodstock Peace Festival in August 1969. LSGH cheerleaders used it in a game against Letran in September 1969. I know, I was at that game when I first heard it. So this is not heresay but first hand witness testimony as to its use. The only difference then, as compared to how it is cheered now, we did not add ANIMO LA SALLE at the end of each chant. What we did was bang on bells, whistles, tin cans and other noise makers we could get our hands on to create the festive noise making after every chant. Just like it was done in Woodtsock. It was only when we joined the UAAP was ANIMO LA SALLE added to the end of each chant to replace the noise making.
    So before any one of you makes accusations, tanung-tanong muna kayo.* Sakit din sa tenga namin nung narining namin yang "San Beda Fight!"

Quote Originally Posted by shyboy

Here is a post from GreenArrows at AP.com when someone posted the same question.

We do not do the indian yell drum beat. That's a San Beda exclusive since they are the only team in either the NCAA or UAAP that has Indian (meaning U.S. natives and not the Asians) mascots.

But if you are referring to the rain chant, please note La Salle cheerleaders were using the rain chant a month after it was famously sang during the Woodstock Peace Festival in August 1969. LSGH cheerleaders used it in a game against Letran in September 1969. I know, I was at that game when I first heard it. So this is not heresay but first hand witness testimony as to its use. The only difference then, as compared to how it is cheered now, we did not add ANIMO LA SALLE at the end of each chant. What we did was bang on bells, whistles, tin cans and other noise makers we could get our hands on to create the festive noise making after every chant. Just like it was done in Woodtsock. It was only when we joined the UAAP was ANIMO LA SALLE added to the end of each chant to replace the noise making.
    So before any one of you makes accusations, tanung-tanong muna kayo.* Sakit din sa tenga namin nung narining namin yang "San Beda Fight!"
    shyboy,

Am not so sure about the other cheers/drums because I am really tone-deaf. But am sure about the Lion's Roar being used by La Salle crowd.

I'll let danny, sitsirya and perhaps stardust explain about the other cheers/drum beats.

About the "San Beda Fight" na "masakit sa tenga ninyo", care to elaborate? I don't hear any Atenean complaining that we copied their One Big Fight, if that is what you are driving at.

Could it be that the La Salle cheerleaders in 1969 only played the rain chant once, twice, or only a few times? Did La Salle ever use the rain chant CONSISTENTLY during their NCAA days? Or did they adopt the rain chant as part of their standard cheering repertoire ONLY after joining UAAP?*

I ask everyone to discuss this issue objectively and sensibly.

I'm not too familiar with the history of La Salle's cheers. *All I can say is that the cheers we have right now are the ones I have been accustomed to since my college days when La Salle started playing in the UAAP. *I'll let GreenArrows and the other, um, more mature La Sallians discuss our cheers pre-UAAP days.

For me, if the cheers had been copied sana matagal nang maraming nag-reklamo niyan from San Beda. *Considering that we've been using them for three decades now, I don't know why this fuss is coming out just now. I'm sure some Bedans have already heard them one way or another the past years.

I'm not too familiar with the history of La Salle's cheers. *All I can say is that the cheers we have right now are the ones I have been accustomed to since my college days when La Salle started playing in the UAAP. *I'll let GreenArrows and the other, um, more mature La Sallians discuss our cheers pre-UAAP days.

For me, if the cheers had been copied sana matagal nang maraming nag-reklamo niyan from San Beda. *Considering that we've been using them for three decades now, I don't know why this fuss is coming out just now. I'm sure some Bedans have already heard them one way or another the past years.
    Thanks Shyboy for being upfront and patient with me in paticular. Why now? As the new NCAA champs, we are reclaiming history. Kung talunan kami, malamang walang papansin. Which was actually the case during our 28 year drought. ;D

According to GreenArrows ,the 1969 Woodstock rain chant was the inspiration of La Salle.
    Take note the a "rain chant"* is Indian inspired. I am not sure if this Woodstock rain chant is any similar to the "wahooo" .Bear in mind that Woodstock was also deep into North American Indian pop-culture.

The Bedan Indian Yell was composed in 1947, 22 years before Woodstock.* Our Indian War chant known as the Lion's roar was derived from the Indian Yell.* We had a 22 year lead in doing* this Native American chant.

It could be that the HS kids of La Salle Greenhills was inspired by both Woodstock and San Beda's Indian Yell.

It is also important to understand that La Salle and San Beda had a more cordial relationship then than say San Beda and Ateneo. This may explain the migraton and sharing of cheers especially the Indian inspired chanting of Wahoooowahoooo..between the two schools.

COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¡ÁNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¿Entiendes?

We can just speculate how things got intertwined or connected.

The similarity between the rain chant and San Beda's Indian Yell may not have been evident back in the 70s when La Salle was still playing in the NCAA. Had it been back then, all hell would've broken loose specially during the fight-marred years in the NCAA. How and when it became alike is anybody's guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast