twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Warriors in the Off-Season

Share/Bookmark
    ^^ bonleon kept jacking shots during the last minutes , i think it was 3 straight possessions , if he does that during the UAAP he would not be playing at all.

^^^ What'd I tell you guys about this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel View Post
    ^^^ What'd I tell you guys about this kid?
    I second that! Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by bchoter View Post
    This is is further proof that UE is not a darkhorse but a legit contender.

BTW, Bonlean just made a case for Coach John Flores. Just fresh off the bench, the kid, on a secondary break, waved off his teammates and went iso... and turned the ball over on a forced shot. This after UE scored mostly on assisted baskets. Sumang did some dribble-drive but mostly to make plays for his teammates.
    Manong baka magalit si Jvboy nyan. Nyahaha!

Hahaha. I saw what you saw, and I agree. Bakit naman ako magagalit???

I only reacted negatively, kung sa tingin ko di naman fair yung comments, or contrary.

Did I get mad sa mga insights nila Joe and Sam before, di naman, kasi truthful naman.

^^^ JVBoy, why was Mar Bonleon taking all those shots anyway?

Boysie Zamar was signalling to run the UE side-motion offense on the ball side when Mar had the ball. Ivan Hernandez set a pick that Mar did not use. Then Hernandez went to the low post and was asking for the ball so they could start the side-motion on a give-go or a high-low.

Mar decided to chuck up a shot with the shotclock winding down instead of running the play. Then he did it again on two more plays later on.

UE comes back to beat Lyceum, but coach wary of slow starts
    By Celest R. Flores
    INQUIRER.net
    5:55 pm | Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013

MANILA, Philippines—University of the East shrugged off a rough start and picked up the pace in time to turn back Lyceum, 82-72, Wednesday in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at the Arena in San Juan.

High from their conquest of UAAP finalists University of Santo Tomas last Saturday, even the Red Warriors were punished for their performance in the first two-and-a-half quarters.

“Galing kami sa maganda panalo, siguro masyadong na-excite sa nakaraang panalo (We come from a beautiful finish, perhaps we become excited of our previous wins),” forward Andrian Santos even admitted.

“Pero nakabawi naman kami (But we’ve recovered),” he added.

True enough, after Lyceum pushed the lead to 48-37—its biggest of the game—with two-and-a-half minutes into the third quarter, UE bounced back hard.

By the end of third quarter, the Red Warriors were on the driver’s seat, 57-50, after a stifling 20-2 run as the Pirates were limited to just one field goal in almost 7-and-a-half minutes.

But head coach Boyzie Zamar cautioned his boys that they might not be able to come back anew from deficits like these when it came to the UAAP.

“Hindi kami pwede magka-bad start. Sa ibang UAAP teams like La Salle, UST di na ka makakabawi nyan (We can’t have a bad start. In other UAAP teams like La Salle, UST, they won’t be able to recover),” said Zamar.

But with Roi Sumang and Charles Mammie’s help, UE pulled off the win en route to a 5-2 slate.

Sumang finished with 19 points, five rebounds and six assists—including a personal 8-0 burst, highlighted by a triple and a nifty and one play, to inch UE closer in the third.

Mammie, then, got over his ugly free-throw shooting in the first half and four of the next six points to give UE a 50-48 lead with 3:08 in the third and the Red Warriors never trailed again.

Jay-ar Summido and Santos added 12 and 10, respectively for the Red Warriors.

Mark Francisco finished with 14 points for the Pirates, who failed to notch their first win in five tries even despite a tough stand against the Red Warriors.

Lyceum pulled within five several times in the fourth quarter, 60-65, then 62-67, with four minutes left to play but couldn’t get over the hump anew.

Shane Ko and diminutive guard Dexter Zamora chipped in double digits, 11 and 10, in that order for the Pirates.

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/101049/ue...#ixzz2U5rg4SPA
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Red Warriors avoid the upset axe; Generals conquer Stags
    by Enzo Flojo
    Thursday, 23 May 2013 Be the first one to comment

by JOSEF T. RAMOS

University of the East (UE) refused to just die down and suffer an upset, while Emilio Aguinaldo College finally caught a big fish for its first win in the Filoil Flying V Preseason Premier Cup on Wednesday at The Arena in San Juan.

After trailing by 11 points (37-4 in the third quarter, the UE Red Warriors relied on a blistering 13-0 attack to post a come-from-behind 82-72 win against the Lyceum Pirates and bag their fifth win in seven outings.

Roi Sumang, who piled up 19 points, five rebounds and six assists, anchored UE’s comeback as he scored a three-point play with 3:11 left in the third period to tie the count at 50-all. UE then mounted a scorching 7-0 blast to take a 57-50 lead going into the payoff period.

The Red Warriors just hung on to complete the win, even though the Pirates moved within five, 62-67 on Tirso Lesmoras’s basket with 4:20 left to play.

Despite the Pirates’ physical defense, the Red Warriors kept their composure.

“They must be reminded every game that we have to work hard in order for us to win. They started out slow, but it was a good thing they adjusted and woke up just in time,” said UE mentor Boyzie Zamar. “They need to understand that we have to take things slow. We will someday see the fruits of all our hardwork.”

Big man Charles Mammie finished with 14 points and 15 rebounds despite missing five free throws.

“(Mammie) should always be ready. He should learn and accept that he will be fouled most of the time. He needs to practice his free throw shooting. It is sometimes a mental game,” said Zamar on Mammie’s free throw shooting.

Jay-ar Sumido and Adrian Santos added 12 and 10 points each for UE.

Meanwhile, Lyceum’s Dexter Zamora was on the receiving end of a spitball care of UE’s Lord Casajeros. This happened in the last seconds of fourth period. Zamora retaliated by giving his hand full of saliva to shake Casajeros’ hand after the match. Game officials separated the two players, who nearly traded blows.

Lyceum suffered heir fifth loss in as many outings.

The Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals nailed their first win after beating the San Sebastian College-Recoletos Stags, 73-68, in the next game.

Cameroonian center Noube Happi scattered 19 points and 17 rebounds to stop the Generals’ five game losing skid, but they remained in the cellar with a 1-5 log.

“I feel great,” Happi shortly said.

The game was close in the first quarter with the EAC leading, 22-21, but the Generals unloaded a huge second quarter splurge, scoring 20 points and limiting the Golden Stags to just seven markers. EAC then took a comfortable 42-28 lead at the half.

San Sebastian managed to tie the count at 68-all after a Jon Rebollos three-pointer with 2:05 left to play, but the Stags remained scoreless in the last two minutes to complete their fall.

The Golden Stags now carry a 2-6 win-loss card in Group B. (EF/InboundPass.com)
    EAC 73- Happi 19, Monteclaro 12, Munsayac 8, Jamon 7, Mejos 7, King 6, Arquero 5, Morada 3, Paguia 2, Onwubere 2, Castro 2, Manga 0.
    SSC 68- Rebollos 15, Gusi 12, Perez 9, De Vera 8, Guinto 6, Padilla 4, Balucanag 2, vergara 2, Ortouste 2.
    QS: 22-21; 42-28; 56-47; 73-68.

UE 82– Sumang 19, Mammie 14, Sumido 12, Santos 10, Galanza 8, Noble 6, Bonleon 4, Casajeros 3, Javier 3, Alberto 3, Olivarez 0, Pujante 0, Flores 0, Hernandez 0, Jumao-as 0.
    LPU 72– Francisco 14, Ko 11, Zamora 10, Lesmoras 8, Mendoza 7, Garcia 7, Azores 6, Ambohot 4, Baltazar 3, Soliman 2, Lacastesantos 0, Evangelista 0, Taladua 0, Fabian 0, Edora 0.
    QS: 19-21; 35-36; 57-50; 82-72.

I really do not know, probably "gigil" to put his name on the scoring board. In my opinion, sign of immaturity pa.

I hope he will mature soon, and learn to pace his shots and practice team game. I do agree that he has tons to learn about basketball being a team sport. He also needs to be quicker and be more agile to keep up.

I hope somebody there in the UE camp will patiently teach him how.

I haven't seen that kid nor his father in a long while.

^^^ I think Mar Bonleon needs to lose at least 10 pounds to get himself more agile. He has a big caboose, much like Ryan Buenafe now, and that greatly decreases quickness and agility. Buenafe has not blown by anyone since his sophomore year. I haven't seen Mar blow by anyone since he was last in Greenhills. He will need that driving game to vary his overall game, otherwise defenses will just get in his grill and raise their hands to prevent him from taking those snapping jumpshots.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast