Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Warriors in the Off-Season

Share/Bookmark
    ADMU 77 - UE Red Warriors 72

Ateneo coach Bo Perasol has high praise for Sumang, UE

By Mark Giongco

Philippine Daily Inquirer

4:11 am | Thursday, April 25th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines—Over and over, Kiefer Ravena kept saying how University of the East could be such a tough team to beat this year.

And after Ateneo had to scrape past UE, 77-72, when the two teams tangled for the first time in the FilOil tournament, even Blue Eagles coach Bo Perasol got to rave about the much-improved Red Warriors Wednesday night.

“I think they have one of the most complete lineups,” Perasol told INQUIRER.net moments after his squad chalked up its fifth win in six games.

“It’s just matter of time before they can get their bearings together and I know they’re going to be stronger when the UAAP comes,” added Perasol. “We have to be prepared for them.”

Indeed, the Red Warriors lived up to their billing as one of the teams to watch out for by giving the ‘five-peat’ UAAP champion, which trailed by as much as eight in the third quarter, all it could handle.

As usual, playmaker Roy Sumang, though he struggled, still ended up with a team-high 18 points, led the way for UE but unlike before where Sumang was just a one-man show, the Red Warriors also got production from their other players.

“I think he is really one of the best point guards in the UAAP and I don’t think anybody can underestimate or cannot be prepared for UE and for Sumang as well,” said Perasol, who added that they (coaching staff) specifically prepared a defensive game plan to contain Sumang.

Perasol also said that he stumbled upon an article that read Ateneo had lost two in a row to UE [last UAAP Season] that eventually had the former PBA mentor using it as extra motivation coming into the game.

“I posed a challenge to them…I told them that I have yet to remember Ateneo losing three games in a row to any team.”

The Blue Eagles, led by Ravena and sharp-shooting Von Pessumal, who came off the bench to deliver 19 big points on five-of-seven shooting from deep, responded to the call.

“Actually before the game sabi ng mga leaders namin sila Kiefer that UE will be a tough team to beat, we all know that the top teams are going to be there UST, NU, La Salle and UE is going to be a contender also in their own little way,” said Pessumal, who has shown so far this preseason that he can be an additional weapon in the backcourt.

Ravena, who scored a game-high 23 points, said, “It was an ugly win but panalo pa rin so we have to take it. Pero we have to keep in mind na hindi pa ‘to UAAP but this is a gauge on where we are right now. During the last game, coach said UAAP teams yung gauge kung nasaan man kami. I think it’s a good sign na after this game we know where we are right now.”

UE had yesterday's game versus San Sebastian won already, until Roi Sumang and Mario Bonleon took turns losing the ball and making dumb mistakes in crucial stretches of the game. Sumang forced at least three bad drives and wouldn't give up the ball on two other critical plays in the last three minutes. Bonleon took at least three ill-advised three-point attempts in that same time.

Both men's numbers looked good: Sumang led the team with 23 points to go with his team-high nine assists as well as six rebounds. Sumang however also had six turnovers, and shot a combined 8-20 from the field, a so-so 40% clip. That he played 40 minutes in a game that went into overtime is an indictment against the lack of trust (or quality) of UE's backup pointguards. Rookie Leo Guion of Hope Christian had 12 so-so minutes; Dan Alberto had a nice view of the game from the end of the bench. Bonleon started out well enough nailing back-to-back treys then cost UE the game when he got jammed by the San Sebastian defense in the last play of regulation for UE; Jaymar Perez forced a turnover. Bonleon also got shot-happy and shot a combined 3-10 from the field, 30%, bad percentages for a guy who plays a scoring position. Bonleon had decent numbers across the board though, with six rebounds, two assists, a steal, two blocks, and three turnovers in 22 minutes. Of course Bonleon might have been asked to do too much for a rookie, considering Lordy Casajeros had a bad game, and Gino Jumao-as and Ken Olayon were both in street clothes and had muscle tape on various appendages.

Charles Mamie is as good as advertised, taking on a mature and strong San Sebastian frontline and getting 23 points and 16 rebounds. No one could stop him underneath even with help and switching from the Golden Stags. UE had as much as a 10-point lead twice early on thanks to Sumang, Bonleon, Mamie and Chris Javier. JR Sumido carried the fight in the second half along with Mamie when Sumang and Bonleon faltered.

All told this is still a very good team that is maybe six weeks away from getting it all together. Coach Boysie Zamar was pointing to specific players and specific spots on the floor and where they should go, which means his system is set and it is all a matter of getting everything together. Going by Sumang's minutes it looks like Zamar and the rest of UE will ride him hard this season. Guion and Alberto need to step up as backup pointguards or Sumang will run himself into the ground. Bonleon needs to take more of those two-dribble pullup jumpers he used to make in Lasalle Greenhills, as that will keep defenses honest, and will allow him to play better decoy on the drive-draw action, maybe even set up Javier, Mamie and Adi Santos more.

Assistant coaches Bai Cristobal and Billy Reyes have their work set ahead already, needing to keep working on the placement and motion drills especially on the halfcourt.
    Last edited by Sam Miguel; 05-02-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added player name

Vergara’s lone basket wins it for San Sebastian over UE in OT
    By Mark Giongco
    INQUIRER.net
    5:45 pm | Wednesday, May 1st, 2013
    1 59 37

MANILA, Philippines—Gio Vergara only had one basket in seven tries but it turned out to be the biggest shot of the game.

Vergara buried a go-ahead triple with only 19.4 seconds left as San Sebastian escaped University of the East, 89-87, in overtime Wednesday in the FilOil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at the Arena in San Juan.

“It all boiled down to who wanted it more. We never gave up,” said SSC head coach Topex Robinson. “I wasn’t even calling the shots, they (my players) just don’t want to quit.”

“What we do in practice like we shot in the gym pa around 8 p.m. and it paid [off],” said the five-foot-six Vergara, who added six assists against one turnover in 28 minutes.

The Golden Stags, who are basically an entirely different team this year with the departure of their ‘Big Three’ of Calvin Abueva, Ian Sangalang and Ronald Pascual along with other key pieces, went toe-to-toe with the Red Warriors, a team expected to have a breakthrough year in the coming UAAP Season 76.

The game was slowly slipping away from San Sebastian when UE’s Charles Mammie powered his team to an 85-81 lead with just 1:32 left in the extra period.

CJ Perez, a prized recruit out of Pangasinan, completed a three-point play set up by a pretty shot fake on Jay-ar Sumido before Vergara nailed the game-winning trey.

The 19-year-old Perez, who has drawn comparisons to Abueva with his high motor and ability to play multiple positions, flirted with a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists to go along with two steals and two blocks to offset his six turnovers.

“Sabi lang ni coach go hard lang ako palagi, nagawa ko naman pero kulang pa (Coach told me to go hard always, I did but it’s not enough),” said Perez.

Leo de Vera also came up big for the Stags with 20 points on five-of-six shooting from deep, including the game-tying trey that forced extra session with 24.3 seconds left in regulation.

The Fil-American de Vera, a matchup nightmare at the power forward spot with his quickness and ability to step out from deep, also had eight rebounds and six steals.

Flashy guard Roy Sumang topscored with 23 points on top of six rebounds, nine assists and three steals but missed a leaner that would’ve tied it at 87 with only 5.6 ticks left.

Mammie scored all of the Red Warriors’ points in overtime en route to 23 points to go along with 16 rebounds.

San Sebastian improved to 2-2 while UE slid to 1-2.

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/98407/ver...#ixzz2S73JB89u
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Mammie chips in double-double as UE routs EAC
    By Celest R. Flores
    INQUIRER.net
    9:56 pm | Friday, May 3rd, 2013
    0 10 7

MANILA, Philippines — University of the East outclassed Emilio Aguinaldo College, 97-66, on Friday in the 2013 Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at the Arena in San Juan.

The Red Warriors went on a 24-6 blast in the third quarter to break the game wide open as they cruised to their second victory of the tournament.

Jayar Sumido had 10 points in that stifling run, and then Charles Mammie picked up where UE left off by scoring nine points in the fourth to make the lead, 93-60, with 3:47 left to play.

“This is the way to bounce back but it has to be within the system,” said head coach Boycie Zamar, whose squad is now at 2-2.

UE vented its ire on EAC after a heartbreaking loss to San Sebastian last Wednesday, 87-89.

Mammie finished with 23 points to lead all scorers and added 11 boards and two assists. Sumido had 15 points while Roi Sumang and JM Noble added 11 and 10, respectively.

Sherwin Castro, meanwhile, had 12 points even as John Tayongtong and Jan Jamon chipped in 11 and 10 to pace the Generals, who reeled to their third loss in as many outings.

EAC, which pulled to within 42-53 before allowing UE to pad onto the lead, could not neutralize UE’s bigs all game long.

Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/98575/mam...#ixzz2SFAxSyGp
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

I may have a star-level player for UE.

May I know who is in charge of recruitment for the Warriors?

Or do I go straight to Boysie Zamar after they return from their overseas trip?

^ Mathew Manotoc? hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel View Post

Si Mr. Rodrigo Roque sa Department of Physical Education or si Mr. Bai Cristobal, HS Graduate? Tamang tama di pa final ang line-up ng Warriors hanggang di natatapos ang filoil tournament, pa-pm Sir Sam kung sino hehehehe!!!

https://twitter.com/Official_UE/stat...940224/photo/1

Aspiring athletes, visit the UE Sports Expo from May 6 to 9 at the Dalupan Lobby, UE Manila.

Makahabol pa siya Sir Sam hanggang bukas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel View Post

best bet go straight to coach zamar , hindi ba pwede kay wangbu? hehe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast