twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72

Thread: Red Warriors in the Off-Season

Share/Bookmark
    ^Yun ang problema, isa si Jamike sa pinipili =(

Jack Santiago set to take over as UE Red Warriors coach
    by RANDOLPH B. LEONGSON

UNIVERSITY of the East is entering the new decade with a new era.

Jack Santiago is set to assume the head coaching post for the Red Warriors, multiple sources told Spin.ph.

This is the biggest coaching break for the Navotas native, who has long been a trusted deputy of Adamson coach Franz Pumaren.

Santiago has been with Pumaren from their days in La Salle and followed him in the PBA with Air21 and GlobalPort, before they returned to the collegiate ranks with the Soaring Falcons.

School administrators met on Wednesday and gave the baton to Santiago, with him set to be introduced to the team on Monday.

Santiago will take over the post left by the late coach Bong Tan and team consultant Lawrence Chongson, who handled UE last season and finished with a 4-10 record.

The Red Warriors have missed the Final Four for the past 11 seasons.

Lucky for Santiago, he will inherit a promising UE core flanked by Senegalese center Alex Diakhite, young guard Harvey Pagsanjan, and incoming rookie Clint Escamis.

Tiebreaker Times was the first to report on this development.

Jack Santiago to be named as UE Red Warriors head coachPublished 6 hours ago on January 19, 2020
    By Matthew Li

University of the Eastís search for a new chief tactician has finally ended.

Jack Santiago has been tapped to lead the Red Warriors to new heights, multiple sources closely monitoring the situation have told Tiebreaker Times.

Santiago is no stranger to the collegiate game, since he has been the top lieutenant of current Adamson head coach Franz Pumaren for the last two decades.

The councilor from Navotas was with Pumaren during his days with De La Salle University, Air 21, Globalport, and, later on, Adamson.

This time around, Santiago has a tough task ahead of him. UE is currently in the midst of an 11-year Final Four drought in the UAAP Menís Basketball Tournament.

Santiago replaced the coaching duo of the late Bong Tan and active consultant Lawrence Chongson, who steered UE to a 4-10 record in Season 82. This is UEís fourth coaching change in as many years.

The other candidates for the post were Jamike Jarin, Allan Caidic, and Jerry Codinera.

Last year, Santiago, a product of Mapua, was also in the running to take over the Cardinals but Randy Alcantara was ultimately selected by the school.

A source added that Santiago will be introduced to the team on Monday, January 20.

Jamike Jarin joins UE Red Warriors as assistant to Jack Santiago
    by RANDOLPH B. LEONGSON

JAMIKE Jarin gets a new lease on life as he starts anew at University of the East.

The decorated mentor has been enlisted as the lead assistant for Jack Santiago as they are tasked to plot the Red Warriors' path back to contention.

Jarin is coming off of a three-year tenure at the helm in National University, amassing a cumulative 11-31 win-loss record, including a 2-12 campaign this past UAAP Season 82 where the Bulldogs finished dead last.

He also failed to make it to the Final Four with NU, a stark contrast to the bright days he had at the top of the Ateneo Blue Eaglets and the San Beda Red Lions, teams which he steered to championships.

Jarin is set to develop young players alongside Santiago, who himself was a longtime deputy of Adamson coach Franz Pumaren.

They are inheriting a promising UE core featuring Harvey Pagsanjan, Niel Tolentino, Clint Escamis and Senegalese big man Alex Diakhite.

The Red Warriors own the current longest Final Four drought in the UAAP, missing out on the semis for the last 11 years with their last appearance back in 2009 with a team led by Paul Lee.

Jarin goes back to roots
    February 3, 2020 01:40 AM
    By Gene Beatrice A. Micaller

Jamike Jarin came back from where he started.

The seasoned mentor confirmed his transfer to University of the East (UE) as one of the assistant coaches of newly-hired coach Jack Santiago in the coming Season 83 University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball tournament.

Sliding down to assistant coach won’t be a big adjustment for Jarin, who spent his early years in that kind of position before making a name in the collegiate scene.

“I have been an assistant coach for a lot of head coaches in my many years in the industry,” Jarin told Daily Tribune yesterday.

“I know the job very well and it was like going back to where I started and I think this is really where I’m meant to be,” he added.

For six years, Jarin was an assistant of Chot Reyes and Norman Black at Talk ‘N Text in the Philippine Basketball Association.

He was also one of the trusted aides of Joe Lipa, Joel Banal and Black at Ateneo de Manila University for six years before handling the Blue Eaglets in the UAAP for 13 years where he won eight titles in 12 finals appearances.

Jarin’s success in the juniors rank was his ticket to San Beda University in the National Collegiate Athletic Association where he led the Red Lions to a crown in Season 92.

He returned to UAAP as coach of National University but in three seasons with the Bulldogs, he failed to lead the team to the Final Four round that led to his resignation.

And in a previous interview with Daily Tribune last December, Jarin said he wanted to get a second shot in the collegiate scene and his wish was granted by Santiago, who was named the head coach of the Red Warriors just recently.

“That’s what I have always wanted — to share my knowledge to young players and develop them to be the next stars of Philippine basketball,” Jarin said.

“I love amateur games. It’s another start and another journey,” he added.

The tandem of Santiago and Jarin will lead a young UE core that will be bannered by Harvey Pagsanjan, Neil Tolentino, Clint Escamis and Senegalese center Alex Diakhite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72