twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70

Thread: Red Warriors in the Off-Season

Share/Bookmark
    UE almost beat Gilas yesterday. UE even led by double digits but were ovherwhelmed lang by Abu Tratter at the start of the 3rd where Gilas went on a big run. But it was a good showing by the Warriors.

Among the newcomers, it was Strait who made the most impact, Jason Strait had the most impact, doibg great on both ends. Para siyang poor man’s Areind Santos stealing the ball twice from Ricci Rivero (and forcing him to lose the ball a few more times) and even blocking Kai’s shot! And just like Arwind, Strait showed he can hit it from deep, going 1/1 from the 3-pt area. May and-1 pa! Mejo mahiyain pa...instead of emohitacially dunking the ball after stealing the ball from Ricci (harap-harapan!), he just softly laid it in. Nakagawa nalang si Ricci when he was on the bench. UST’s loss is definitely UE’s gain. Another reminder of that sad excuse of a coach...sablay-cough-sablay-cough

Mejo mukhang security agency ang UE sa dami ng PGs. Di ko maalla ang oangalan ng wide-bodied PG pero mukhang tiwala si coach Joe kasi he kept him on the court and was even calling plays sa end game

On its succession plan, kung matutuloy, may dalawang pwedeng pamalit kay ...one is Apacible and the other one...secret muna kasi hindi pa sure. The kid mentioned Benilde na isa sa kumukuha sa kaniya.

The future seems bright in UE

^konti lang naman tayo dito thread sir, baka pwede pabulong ng mga prospect? hehehehe!

Joe Silva has a lot of surprise recruits in store for UE
    Published 2 hours ago on May 23, 2018
    By Matthew Li

During the first two games of the Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup presented by Chooks-to-Go, Joe Silva sat behind the bench of the University of the East Red Warriors. He carefully observed what needs to be done and what pieces the team needs for the UAAP Season 81 Men’s Basketball tournament and beyond.

In their third game of the tournament, he finally called the shots.

“I feel very at home, I feel very privileged to be part of the UE community. They welcomed me with open arms.”

The once-proud UE Men’s Basketball program has floundered for the better part of the 2000s. The Red Warriors last made the Final Four back in 2009, and last won the UAAP Men’s Basketball crown back in Season 48.

In need young blood to change the program, UE tapped former Ateneo Blue Eaglets head coach Joe Silva to try and steer the program to a new direction. But in order to introduce a new culture, Silva is starting from the ground.

“What we’re trying to do is change the culture.

“We haven’t really been putting our system yet. It’s all about individual skills – getting stronger, mindset, video viewing to make them smarter, yun pa lang nagagawa namin,” disclosed Silva, who was officially named as head coach back in May 1.

Slowly, the Red Warriors have been embracing the shift. It showed on Tuesday evening, as the rag-tag Red Warriors were able to lead by as much as 11 points late against the star-studded Gilas Cadets. However, they crumbled in the end-game, falling 61-63.

“I was satisfied because number one, they competed. I told them that nobody in this arena expects us to go toe-to-toe with Gilas,” beamed Silva.

“I always told them, just compete, let’s bring back UE Warriors basketball. Kung sino man yan, kahit saan mang venue, laban tayo, palag tayo. Gusto kong i-instill sa kanila yung winning attitude ulit, hindi yung pagpasok palang ng court, wala na, talo na.”

Besides changing the culture, Silva is planning to bring in several blue-chip recruits to the fold. Some of the names being brought up are Diliman College’s Adama Diakhite, former Ateneo Blue Eagle John Apacible, and UE’s prodigal son Jordan Sta. Ana. Other fresh from high school recruits include Jojo Antiporda from Adamson and Jan Sobrevega from De La Salle-Zobel.

Silva’s pitch to the new recruits is both simple and empowering: Be the one to bring UE’s old glory back.

“We started late. I started recruiting two, three weeks ago. But ‘di pa tapos recruiting namin. May mga darating pa kaming surprise recruits for this year and next.

“‘Di pa namin madi-disclose, but we’re working on recruitment pa rin. I just sold them on the idea of being the seeds of bringing back the glory days to UE. I just told them that you guys are going to be the pioneers that will bring back UE to where it was before. On board naman sila sa process,” Silva shared.

Though this challenge will be tough, Silva declared that he is up to it.

“The sun will rise in the east,” he declared.

New UE coach Joe Silva says transition 'difficult but good'
    12:34 PM CT
    Yoyo Sarmenta

Just last March, coach Joe Silva was raising his second UAAP Juniors trophy together with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets.

By May, Silva had already embarked on his latest and biggest venture as the new head coach of the UE Red Warriors. It has been a month since his appointment and the young mentor did not mince words on the transition to his new job.

"Well, it's been difficult. It's been good, but it's been difficult also," Silva said. "mainly because the program that I envisioned was supposed to be for seven months but since the UAAP is starting September, we have to cram everything."

Silva came in as a replacement for Derrick Pumaren who was with the Red Warriors for the last four years. After Pumaren's tenure, UE's head coaching job remained vacant since the end of UAAP Season 80. Multiple names surfaced in the last several months as a possible replacement for Pumaren including the likes of Koy Banal and Chris Gavina. After nearly half a year, UE finally found their man in Silva.

"Honestly I wasn't expecting this. I was really focusing on other stuff already," he said after departing from Ateneo in April. "Then UE management called me. Without batting an eyelash, we had a good talk, I grabbed it."

Silva was with the Blue Eaglets for seven seasons, taking the place of Jamike Jarin. Under Silva, Ateneo remained one of the top teams in high school basketball, amassing a 77-20 record in seven years, including two championships.

"A coach's dream is to coach at a higher level really. This is my chance. I might not get it again," he explained on accepting UE's offer.

From his successful tenure in Juniors basketball, Silva will have the daunting task of trying to revive the UE basketball program which hasn't tasted a Final Four berth since 2009. Just last season, the Red Warriors were only able to muster a 3-11 record, good for seventh place.

UE is currently competing in the 12th Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup presented by Chooks-to-Go in the hopes of gaining experience and to fast-track their team progress. And if there's one thing that Silva wants his new team to learn as quickly as possible, it's to be smart on the basketball court.

"The basketball IQ aspect. I think with all the games we've played we've shown that we can keep in step with most of the teams. Problem is the little things," he shared on what his team needs to improve on. "That missed block out there, that missed defensive rotation, the spacing, those little things add up. When they compound, that's like quicksand. You'll drown and then you can't get yourself out. That's what's happening now."

Fortunately for Silva, he will have the services of one of college basketball's best scorers in Alvin Pasaol. An offensive sensation, Pasaol averaged 20.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.7 steals, and 1.6 assists last year and was awarded a Mythical Team selection. His best performance came in a 49-point explosion against the DLSU Green Archers.

"No complaints. It's been really okay. They're professional-like, business-like," Silva said about his team. "When we practice it's serious. Off court, play all you want, no problem with me."

From being one of the staple figures in Juniors basketball, Silva is ready to take on his biggest challenge in his young coaching career.

"When I started to take over, what I told them was to compete," he said. "Let's show that Warrior pride."
    Last edited by gensankid; 06-02-2018 at 10:06 PM.

A new day rising in East
    By Rick Olivares - June 3, 2018

IT wasn’t too long ago when Roi Sumang blurted out in abject frustration “sawang sawa na kami sa kakatalo.”

That was about six years ago when the University of the East (UE) Red Warriors showed signs of life and competitiveness under then balik-coach Boycie Zamar. That team won a smattering of off-season titles but eventually crashed and burned in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP). I was inside their locker room when their season ended at the hands of Ateneo one year and National University (NU) in the next. The tears flowed freely about dreams unfulfilled and of college seasons that were over.

There seemed to be hope in the first two seasons of Derrick Pumaren before a number of key players left for various reasons. The famed or dreaded Pumaren Press (depending on which side of the spectrum you belong to) tantalized. But eventually, they became pressed for answers.

And now, for the nth time since 1985 the last time the Red Warriors won the UAAP championship, UE is reloading. A program is supposedly in place. But hasn’t there been one since well, years ago?

It doesn’t matter though. What matters is now.

It’s just a few days over a month when former UE head coach Lawrence Chongson returned to oversee the “new program.” It’s a curious mix in the coaching staff. Head coach Joe Silva and strength and conditioning coach Paolo Romero hail from Katipunan Avenue. Silva and Romero played for Ateneo although the latter donned the University of the Philippines colors for college. There’s Gian Nazario who hails from La Salle, and Ton Brodett who calls San Beda his alma mater. But there’s UE red too in the form of former star Paul Artadi who is part of the coaching staff.

“We got people from three of the best basketball programs in the country and if that doesn’t help us win, I don’t know what will,” quipped Chongson before the team’s loss to UP in the Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup.

The team had a chance to win against the Fighting Maroons but a tight pass by Alvin Pasaol to Rey Acuno inside the lane was pilfered by UP’s Bright Akhuetie and that was it.

Before their match against the Bulldogs, Silva, who is fresh from his second UAAP juniors championship with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets, told the Red Warriors in very clear terms that he wanted a win. “We’ve not beaten a UAAP team yet,” underscored Silva. “I want to get one today.”

The Red Warriors have been impressive in their past few outings. They have gone from being the Alvin Pasaol Show to the UE Red Warriors. Well, they are. But they were literally in the red.

“Ibalik natin ‘yung palag,” exhorted Silva.

It was a curious battle, too. A match of wits. Silva apprenticed under NU coach Jamike Jarin over at Ateneo where they won a bunch of titles. Jarin went to San Beda, won a National Collegiate Athletic Association title, and now he is hoping that NU will not have to wait another 61 years before another championship.

Jarin has a talented team up and down the bench. They are kind of short in the frontline, but if they do get it to work, they’ll be a tough team. Am not sure though if they are hungry like UE. The Red Warriors have different motivations. They are not only hungry but they want respect. Now that’s a tough combo. And the Red Warriors pulled out a win.

For now, the padawan got one over the Jedi Master (a day earlier, College of Saint Benilde coach TY Tang was unable to best his mentor, Fran Pumaren as the Blazers fell to the Adamson University Falcons).

Chongson thought out loud, “Alvin should also be considered for Gilas.”

It will mean a lot for the program should one of the Red Warriors be considered for the national team. However, right now, the focus is the here and now. Getting better and sharing that basketball.

When Acuno fumbled the pass, it was more out of surprise because the big man isn’t used to be on the receiving end of passes much less given shot attempts. But the big fella out of Cebu has played a different role for Silva and these UE Red Warriors. Sort of like how Isaac Go is used for Ateneo. A jump shooting big man who can stretch defenses.

Along with another solid big man in Will Bartolome, they form a tough tag team at center.

During the pre and post-game huddle with the team, Silva talks about how the team has to be smart about its play. The coach knows that they can be just that. After all, later noted Nazario, they have players who know how to win. The Chiang Kai Shek High School contingent won a lot of titles—Shannon Gagate, Nick Abanto, Rafael Toribio, Bartolome, and rookie Jojo Antiporda. Brothers Philip and Paul Manalang came from a winning NU high school program.

In the new jack offense, Jason Varilla and Chris Conner, previously under-achieving players, have vital roles and are helping their team. Jason Strait, if he can build on his solid game during the Gilas match, can make also be a big time player for the team.

There is still a long way to go. But there’s a different air to the team.

Said one UAAP coach, “Wow, may play na ang UE.” The remark isn’t meant to disparage anyone. But it sure denotes something different.That instead of an opportunistic press, they now have another option. With former Ateneo Blue Eagles John Apacible and Brix Ramos scheduled to join the team for next season, the team is getting a massive facelift.

“Sawa na kami matalo,” echoed Philip Manalang after the win over NU.

It is tempting to say déjà vu. But some people have short memories. In a way that is good. Because at this right for the UE Red Warriors…now is all about moving forward.

The Warriors are on their second week in Taiwan and China. Unfortunately, the import (not Dhiakite who is still with Diliman Preps) wasn’t able to get his visa. That would have been his “tryout”

^ sir, hindi papala sure si Dhiakite sa amin? kumusta ang tournament?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70