twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Great King Cardinals

Share/Bookmark

Re: Great King Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by bluebruiser90
    Benny Cheng. If we base it on collegiate success.* Prior to Benny Cheng's Cardinals, Mapua had the habit of winning the NCAA title every 16 years (1949, 1955, 1981) from their first title.* Benny and company immediately put a stop to that tradition by winning back to back title in 1990 and 1991.

Alvin Patrimonio, Freddie Hubalde and Atoy Co, all former King Cardinals and PBA MVP's as well as members of the PBA's 25th Anniversary Team, had stellar careers in college but could just not win championships.
    That's probably because they had to carry the team mostly by themselves, having lacked a noted sidekick or adequate help on all other positions. Cheng had lots of help during that two-year MIT reign.

Joel Banal was the next King Cardinal after Hubalde, but he didnt have much help as well. Romy Mamaril was not that dominant in college, and a young Leo Isaac and center Jango Arce were but two who were good players but could not help Banal make the Cardinals more than a middle-of-the-pack team when ranged against powerhouses SBC, LaSalle and Letran.
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by Emon74
    after Cheng, dalawa lng natandaan ko sa cardinals, not entirely greats

patrick benedicto
    chito victolero
    Hi Emon 74. I just want to update you of the 1991 Cards roster.

Guards:
    LEMEN
    TOPACIO
    RAMOS
    NICOLAS
    RUTIA (Deceased)
    MARIANO (Deceased)
    RONQUILLO
    DELA TORRE

Forwards
    ALCANTARA
    EVANGELISTA
    CHENG
    SO
    BALTAZAR
    ABAD
    DELA ROSA

If you noticed we don't have a Center. That's the secret of this team. A running and defensive team. Almost made it three peat in 92 but unluckily had problems in grading system of the school. 93 was still a contender with the acquisition of Jay Mendoza of San Sebastian but went for nothing due to problems again in grades. Till we chat again. Thanks. Bye for now.

Are you Winchester Lemen? Welcome to gameface.

Please no more update of the 1991 Cards lineup. We are still trying to forget that chapter in the history of the Red Lions. ;D

Seriously, your contributions are welcome anytime. Keep on posting.

Quote Originally Posted by LEMEN

patrick benedicto
    chito victolero

Guards:
    LEMEN
    TOPACIO
    RAMOS
    NICOLAS
    RUTIA (Deceased)
    MARIANO (Deceased)
    RONQUILLO
    DELA TORRE

Forwards
    ALCANTARA
    EVANGELISTA
    CHENG
    SO
    BALTAZAR
    ABAD
    DELA ROSA

If you noticed we don't have a Center. That's the secret of this team. A running and defensive team. Almost made it three peat in 92 but unluckily had problems in grading system of the school. 93 was still a contender with the acquisition of Jay Mendoza of San Sebastian but went for nothing due to problems again in grades. Till we chat again. Thanks. Bye for now.
    Anak ng tinapay! Ikaw pala si Lemen, the streak shooting left-hander.
    Welcome to Gameface.

In the Game 3 of the 1991 Finals, while Boybits Victoria was whooping it up with his slam dunks in the warm-ups, Lemen would provide the Mapua gallery a sideshow with his 3-pt shooting routine. At one point Lemen hit 10 straight 3s in the warm-ups.

Si Ronquillo, may tawag kami sa kanya everytime he touches the ball. ;D
    Another sideshow ay yung sipaan nila Gary Topacio at Boybits during the Finals.

SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

^^^And you got an appropriate first name for such a shooter: Winchester.

Welcome to gameface, though I believe we've met at PEx.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Cat

patrick benedicto
    chito victolero

Guards:
    LEMEN
    TOPACIO
    RAMOS
    NICOLAS
    RUTIA (Deceased)
    MARIANO (Deceased)
    RONQUILLO
    DELA TORRE

Forwards
    ALCANTARA
    EVANGELISTA
    CHENG
    SO
    BALTAZAR
    ABAD
    DELA ROSA

Anak ng tinapay! Ikaw pala si Lemen, the streak shooting left-hander.
    Welcome to Gameface.

In the Game 3 of the 1991 Finals, while Boybits Victoria was whooping it up with his slam dunks in the warm-ups, Lemen would provide the Mapua gallery a sideshow with his 3-pt shooting routine. At one point Lemen hit 10 straight 3s in the warm-ups.

Si Ronquillo, may tawag kami sa kanya everytime he touches the ball.* ;D
    Another sideshow ay yung sipaan nila Gary Topacio at Boybits during the Finals.

Hi Bigcat. It's nice to see you guys here in this forum. i am actually logging in to another forum. Anyway, thank you for accepting me here. Somebody emailed me and suggested that I go online here. Well, i guess there's a lot to talk about here. Congratulations guys. I miss those days though....

Quote Originally Posted by MonL

Hi MonL. I believe so. Thanks so much for accepting me here. How's everything here? i hope I am not too late for all the discussions here.

Hi MonL. I believe so. Thanks so much for accepting me here. How's everything here? i hope I am not too late for all the discussions here.
    Nope. It's never too late. We rarely have contributions from those who played the game at a high level.* You are definitely welcome here. And this is your turf to run.

Quote Originally Posted by LION

Are you Winchester Lemen? Welcome to gameface.

Please no more update of the 1991 Cards lineup. We are still trying to forget that chapter in the history of the Red Lions.* ;D*

Seriously, your contributions are welcome anytime. Keep on posting.
    Yes, I am. How's Boybits now? We bumped on each other one time in the PBA. We hired the services of his brother, Bing, in one of the PBL days of my boss. Anyway, I don't want to imply anything with *my quote. Just wanted to enumerate and re instate the unsung heroes of NCAA during the 1991 finals. So much for that, where are you connected now LION? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks and bye for now.

Nope. It's never too late. We rarely have contributions from those who played the game at a high level.* You are definitely welcome here. And this is your turf to run.
    Thanks a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast