twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Numismatic Thread

Share/Bookmark

The Numismatic Thread

Ok, another one of my interest and hobby. And a very expensive ones. But some might have some coins i am looking for.

Who collects monetary bills and coins?

I especialized in the Philippine Third Republic commemmorative coins especially the Bagong Lipunan series.

Everything's Eventual

Re: The Numismatic Thread

I collect commemorative ones not for the ($$$) value but just because the history and date of the coin looks interesting.

Here in Singapore, there's an area here every sunday that sells bills and coins. Di lang ako marunong tumingin.
    ---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

I used to have a complete collection of Japanese-era "Mickey Mouse" money. My collection also included a few Bagong Lipunan notes.

Unfortunately, they all got lost when our house got razed to the ground.
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

Quote Originally Posted by GHRanger
    I collect commemorative ones not for the ($$$) value but just because the history and date of the coin looks interesting.

Here in Singapore, there's an area here every sunday that sells bills and coins.¬* Di lang ako marunong tumingin.
    Actually, coins are graded according to their condition. The most expensive ones would be the Mint Set. They are housed in a presentation box and are sold to collectors and dealers. If you are looking for a very rare coin especially those in spanish era, a VF or Very Fine will suffice. Thats with a few scratches.
    Everything's Eventual

Quote Originally Posted by JonarSabilano
    I used to have a complete collection of Japanese-era "Mickey Mouse" money. My collection also included a few Bagong Lipunan notes.

Unfortunately, they all got lost when our house got razed to the ground.¬*
    Sayang naman.

A tip in collecting notes. Just look for the President/CB Governor signature. Example, Marcos-Calalang or Marcos-Licaros or marcos-Buenaventura, Also there is a commemorative notes in the ABL series. The canoniation of Lorenzo Ruiz was commemorated with his image on the left part of the note.

Also look or the serial numbe. If you found a note with serial number of 00000000001 or 9999999999, then its worth a fortune to collectors.
    Everything's Eventual

I started collecting Canadian Maple Silver Coins just in case paper money (meaning fiat currency) is abolished and replaced by commodity backed-currency. Just to be sure I have a hedge during hyper-inflation.

These are not collector edition coins. I don't want to pay for the premium. I want to own silver coins for their intrinsic value.

Silver prices are down again despite the fact that silver coins are now in short supply, really short supply. A good time to buy.

Next time, gold. South African, Canadian or American gold coins are good hedges against inflation.
    COURAGE SAN BEDA! / ¬°√ĀNIMO SAN BEDA!
    Understand? / ¬ŅEntiendes?

Basta ako I collect currency! Any currency! Pwera yung lukot lukot na galing kay Aling Nene sa talipapa o kay Mamang driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Quote Originally Posted by GHRanger

Here in Singapore, there's an area here every sunday that sells bills and coins.¬* Di lang ako marunong tumingin.
    Actually, coins are graded according to their condition. The most expensive ones would be the Mint Set. They are housed in a presentation box and are sold to collectors and dealers. If you are looking for a very rare coin especially those in spanish era, a VF or Very Fine will suffice. Thats with a few scratches.
    Mint would be perfect. But I also read somewhere that old coins shouldn't be cleaned whatsoever. Why so?
    ---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

Yes, old coins should not be cleaned because it will lose its intrinsic value. Experts call it PATINA. Its the natural stain of the coin due to old age. If you clean your coins, experts can tell and they wont buy it anymore. Never use GLO or any metal polish. It will give your coin shine initially but after a few days, it will turn dull. However, if you want your collection cleaned, you can always take them to experts. They have a special cleaning agent. Quite expensive though.

If you guys happen to frequent the U Belt area, along Recto, there is a store there named Rogelio De Jesus in front of San Sebastian College. That store sell coins, stamps and antiques. The owner, son of Rogelio is a member of the PNAS, or Philippine Numismatic and Antiquarian Society.
    Everything's Eventual

One example ( idont have this for obvious reason)

2500 Peso Gold Coin 1986 Proof AQUINO REAGAN

to commemorate Reagans Philippine visit. Only 1000 were made.

Obverse

reverse

In presentation box

Everything's Eventual

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast