+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28

Thread: Zeroing In On the Zebras

No replay of DLSU-Adamson game amid controversy, says UAAP

By: Randolph B. Leongson - Reporter / / 03:34 PM November 21, 2017

UAAP commissioner Rebo Saguisag said there will be no replay of the controversial Final Four duel between De La Salle and Adamson at this point.

As it stands, the result remains with the Green Archers taking an 82-75 win over the Soaring Falcons.

"At the moment, again without prejudice to further findings, I don't think offhand that the mistakes at all were that blatant to warrant a reversal or a replay,' he said in an interview with Sports Desk.

"If it involves judgment calls, that's not a criteria for protest. They should be technical in nature, like misappreciation of the rules, misapplication of the mechanics. But if it's judgment calls, it's a different story. That would not warrant a reversal or a replay."

Saguisag shared that though his office has received complaints before, this was the first time that the losing team wasn't the first to raise the issue.

"For the first time in three years, it was a first that aside from the losing team which you expect the complaint from, there are some sectors who checked what happened. So of course, I cannot be insensitive to the public cause at the end of the day, they are the audience. We have to address the outcry," he said.

Saguisag has suspended the three referees Enan Alejo, Ian Borbe, and Mollie de Luna, who officiated the game for the duration of the UAAP Season 80 men's basketball tournament.

"It was our decision. I used the word suspension, but to be clear, suspension can be a form of penalty or a preventive measure. In this case, since our findings are still provisional, so that we can avoid any conflicts, we'll take the three of them out of the referees pool and they get to have a chance to clear their name if warranted," he said.

Got this from another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    Watching the Game highlights / replays online - mabalik tayo dun sa naharangan ng referee yung bola kaya na outside, ganun ba talaga yun? Di man lang sana satin pa din possession, critical time yun eh.. humahabol tayo...
    Ano nga kaya rule dito? Kung nakaharang ang ref sa pagkuha mo ng bola pwede mo ba itulak si ref?

Tab Baldwin says La Salle 'living on the edge of the rules' in terms of physicality

ATENEO coach Tab Baldwin said the Blue Eagles need to withstand, if not match, La Salle's physicality if they hope to beat the reigning champions in the UAAP Season 80 Finals starting on Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

The former Gilas Pilipinas coach said he expects nothing short of an all-out war against the Green Archers, who he expects to be physical, from Ben Mbala down to the last man on Aldin Ayo's bench, in the latest chapter of Philippine basketball's biggest rivalry.

The Green Archers, in fact, are so physical under Ayo that 'they live on the edge of the rules, all the time,' said the Ateneo coach.

"It's not just Ben Mbala, it's really the La Salle mentality under Aldin Ayo. I think a lot of it centers around Ben, but it's the physicality with the way they play. You know they live on the edge of the rules, all the time," Baldwin told SPIN.PH just before Ateneo's closed-door practice at the Moro Lorenzo Gym.

"I think that's a great source of frustration for a lot of teams in the league. When we review video, there's a lot of things that's simply aren't consistent from the way that La Salle plays and the way the other teams play and you have to adjust to that, you have to be ready for that,' Baldwin added.

For the 59-year old mentor, the only way to beat this Green Archers squad is to be as 'confrontational, aggressive, and in-your-face' as they are - and hope that the officials call the games consistently.

His Blue Eagles, who won their first 13 games of the season before falling to La Salle at the final hurdle, need to 'throw the first punch' and not take a step backwards against the Green Archers.

"I think we've prepared our players mentally that this is a team that you don't take a step back, we have to get on the front foot. We have to be the aggressor, we have to be more physical and we have to be tougher.

"Then we?ll see how the referees will adjust to that cause if they're not gonna let us do what La Salle has been allowed to do regularly, then you know I really don't know where to go from there," Baldwin said.

"It's time to throw the first punch, so to speak, and not wait to get hit and see what the referees are gonna do for you cause they're not going to do anything? La Salle really does a great job of playing physical basketball and they really push the boundaries of the rule and we accept the fact that it's the way the game's gonna be played so we're prepared to live on that boundary as well.?

Baldwin insisted he made these statements not to sway the referees or their calls, saying what he's focused on is how he can rally his players and convince them that they can win playing La Salle's game.

"This isn't a cry for help, this is a call to arms for our players," Baldwin continued. "We have to understand that it's this way and there will not be a backward step and I expect from the tip-off that we will be as confrontational, as aggressive, as in-your-face as La Salle always is."

Tab Baldwin glad to see Eagles survive foul-fest, expects same same physical plays in Game Two

ATENEO coach Tab Baldwin sees the foul trouble of Ben Mbala and Abu Tratter as a victory for the Blue Eagles as far as containing La Salle's firepower is concerned.

Mbala scored only eight points as he got into foul trouble early and the Archers bowed to the Eagles in the opener of the title series.

"I thought it was telling that Mbala and Tratter played (54) minutes in the game and have eight fouls. Ikeh and George (Go) played 38 minutes and had nine fouls. We consider it a victory somehow," said Baldwin.

"It?s crazy to think of that as some sort of victory. But when you play La Salle, it is," said Baldwin.

The physical series opener saw the Archers and Eagles combine for 47 fouls.

Baldwin and La Salle coach Aldin Ayo were later met by the referees at halftime.

"I've never in 35 years had a consultation with a referee at halftime. I thought it was reduntant. They were just saying what is obviously happening and what is obviously continue to happen," said Baldwin.

Baldwin expects the same kind of physicality in Game Two.

"I don't expect that we have to think any different going into Wednesday's game. It?s a second battle of a long war," said Baldwin.

Get inside NBA Replay Center and meet the men that make bad calls right

SECAUCUS, N.J. - Tucked in the corner of the NBA's Replay Center, not far from about 100 screens showing NBA action, is Joe Borgia's office.

To the left of his desk sits a stack of takeout menus for local restaurants. On the floor behind his chair, boxes of snacks he purchased on a run to the nearby warehouse store.

Hey, you can't watch basketball all night on an empty stomach.

It's an ideal place to keep up with an 11-game schedule like Wednesday night (Thursday, Manila time), even for the guys who are there to work.

"I think everybody wished their garage looked like this to a degree," referee Kevin Cutler said.

Borgia, the league's senior vice president of replay and referee operations, is at the Secaucus office five or six nights a week. Every referee on staff is scheduled at least a couple times a season and he tries to make it comfortable, ordering dinner and putting out candy and gum, knowing they could be there eight hours or more.

The refs would rather be in an arena, surrounded by the irreplaceable energy and atmosphere of an NBA game night. But Borgia believes they like their Replay Center appearances.

"Some of these guys never see each other. Rarely do you get four guys together," Borgia said. "If anything it becomes a problem for me, because sometimes they'll want to come in the back and start talking and I'm like 'Yo, yo, yo, you got to sit and watch your game!'"

Not to worry. He said there were 2,265 replays last season, and only three were probably wrong.

"I'll take those odds," Borgia said.

Cutler was one of four officials assigned to the center on Wednesday, joined by Ken Mauer, Dedric Taylor and Nick Buchert. Borgia said the goal is to have one official for every two games.

They see the value of the Replay Center, not only for themselves but for their colleagues who are officiating the games.

"I think it just requires a different skillset really, kind of fine-tune yourself with rules and things of that nature because you really can't make the mistake in here," Buchert said. "The way I look at it is they're counting on me to help them make a decision and if I make an improper decision ? which I hope I don't ? then it reflects poorly not only on them but on myself."

Younger officials may be scheduled more often, while Mauer, who has worked 18 NBA Finals games and is currently the league's longest-tenured official in his 32nd season, won't be sitting at a desk much because the NBA wants its best officials on the floor.

His replay rust was obvious, as he violated Borgia's rule about not eating at his terminal.

"Would I rather work a game? Yes, but I understand the importance of this," Mauer said, "so really I come in here and see a different perspective of what people are looking at and maybe I'll pick up something."

He and Cutler worked the Celtics-Nets game in Brooklyn on Tuesday, then remained in the area for replay duty. It's a work day but first a chance to catch up on rest and paperwork on what's become practically a daylong job on game days.

"On game days we have the whole morning routine where we have our morning meeting, and then we usually meet for lunch, and then we have to be at the arena about an hour and a half before the game," Taylor said. "So being in the Replay Center, you got pretty much the entire day for yourself."

There's a movie theater and numerous restaurants in the plaza outside the NBA offices, and pool, Ping-Pong and foosball tables in the lobby along with a Pop-a-Shot arcade game.

Once it's time to work, referees join replay managers and technicians who have games on screens in front of them, noting plays that could be reviewed. They yell to the officials sitting nearby when they could be called into action to take a second look at a foot on the line or dangerous contact, such as when the crew in New Orleans wanted to see if DeMarcus Cousins committed a flagrant foul when he drove into Kyle Lowry with his knee high, a play that ultimately was ruled a common foul.

This is the third season the NBA has used referees on staff in the Replay Center, and their responsibilities have grown in hopes of shortening the time to make a ruling. There were 34 reviews recently, just shy of what Borgia said is the record for one night.

And with each one, the referees are getting a chance to look at how their colleagues called plays they may face themselves later in the season.

"It's like being a chef, and you're in the kitchen with other cooks. You get a chance to watch other people cook," Cutler said.

And nobody boos them.

"I don't think so," Mauer laughed, "unless I get one wrong here."
    Last edited by Joescoundrel; 11-28-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Ganun lang?

So kasalanan nung mga teams na nagpabaya sa trabaho nila ang mga referees?

Hindi ba sablay ng mga refs 'yan, so bakit teams ang pinagsasabihan?

Ibig bang sabihin talagang ganun ka-tanga mga refs at ganun sila kadali taguan ng mga tirahan at gulangan among the players?

Hindi ba dapat nakita nila at pinituhan nila mga "extracurricular" na binanggit ni Comm Rebo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28