twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino-American cager 6'11" Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter wreaking havoc

Share/Bookmark

Re: Filipino-American cager 6'11" Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter wreaking havoc

I just hope there's more to this kid than the hype and height. Someone who knows his basketball and has seen Slaughter play told me he's very, very raw with almost zero basketball I.Q.
    People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

^ Sir, raw and athletic ba daw or he's just plain raw?

There's always hope PROVIDED he's athletic and coachable. Case in point is Sam Ekwe. When he first played in the FMC3 he was such a sorry sight then that some mischievous Bedans in the stands joked and cried out for him to be shipped back to Nigeria on the first available flight. ;D Because of his physical abilities and willingness to be trained, he has progressed considerably from what he first showed then.

Looks like skeptics will eat their words soon if the early observations about 6'11" slaughter proves to be true. see below:

Huge impact

Cebu Daily News
    06/13/2007

Cebu, Philippines - He has yet to play in public, but Filipino-American cager Gregory Slaughter of the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers is already gaining immense popularity not only in Cebu, but also in Manila.

“He may not know it, but he is already a big thing in Manila,” Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) executive director Patrick Gregorio said Tuesday.

“I came here to personally meet him (Slaughter) and before I came here, I told coach Yayoy Alcoseba that I would not go home without shaking the hands of Slaughter,” Gregorio added.

Gregorio said Slaughter is already making a big noise in Manila and is already being targeted to become a member of the national team that will compete in the 24th SEA Games slated December 4-16 in Thailand.

“I got to know him when I read an article in the internet about that UV-UC thing and I received several phone calls inquiring about him,” Gregorio said.

Standing at 6-foot-11, the 19-year-old Slaughter could be an integral part of the country's national team, Gregorio said.

“I hope we can borrow him from UV if we need him in the national team,” Gregorio said. “We will be ready to develop him.”

UV head coach Boy Cabahug said lending Slaughter to the national team would not be problem.

“As a coach, I have a limited authority to decide whether he could play in the national team or not but I think it would not be a problem for the Gullas family when the national pride is at stake,” Cabahug said.

Slaughter and teammate Rino Berami were named to the national training pool along with other players coming from the PBL, UAAP and NCAA.

Slaughter, on the hand, said he knows that much was expected of him.

“I know they expect a lot from me but I don't worry on it too much. I just stay focused and continue to work hard,” Slaughter said.

Slaughter is already enrolled in UV where he is taking up BS Accountancy.

Cabahug said there is no doubt that Slaughter is a talented player, but there are still some areas of his game that needs improvement.

“Talent-wise there is no problem. He can play inside and for his size, he has a decent shooting from the outside,” Cabahug said. “Since he needs to adjust to the hot climate here, we are working on his endurance. But he is slowly improving. In fact, in a quarter sprint, he timed 29 seconds and that is already good.”
    /Correspondents Calvin D. Cordova and Jonas Panerio

In visayas , we use the words matadero or matanzahan(from the spanish root word matanza) for slaugterhouse, and yes, matador for Bullfighter or slaughterhouse guy. Greg Slaughter will be a future poster boy for "Gran Matador" brandy . Hopefully , Ramon "El Presidente" Fernandez will find a worthy succesor in Gregorio "El Matador" Slaughter ,and here's a song in honor of Gregorio "El Matador" Slaughter. It has got a beat that jives with Cebu's Sinulog Mardi Gras festival. Click the link below to see the video of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNX9BL5v1w

DARZ wrote:
    my point here is let the kid feel the game in a very high level like playing him besides the best of RP basketball in an international tourney....and lets accept the fact that we need a tall but agile bigman who can ran the floor...as what i've heard here in cebu that he's fond of playing the 3 spot rather than 4-5....Just for experience sakeYou have a valid point bro, and I know we all want our best for Team Pilipinas. But I think sacrificing 1 roster spot just for "experience sake" of a player is very ill-advised at this point.

For example, if Asi or Mick get's injured (knock on wood) during the tourney, then we will have a major problem with our depth in the 5 position. If we indeed had "Matador" Slaughter as our twelfth man, (hey remember, you heard that nickname from me first!), Coach chot will be forced to adjust our style of play in mid-tournament beccause I believe Greg will be too raw to play in crucial games anyway.

And remember, every game in the FIBA-Asia is crucial.

Let "Matador" prove himself and develop in the amateur leagues first. If he needs to bang with the big boys, put him in the training pool so he can learn from Asi and the other guys, but not in the actual line-up.from: Pacland forum

Quote Originally Posted by razor
    ^ Sir, raw and athletic ba daw or he's just plain raw?

There's always hope PROVIDED he's athletic and coachable. Case in point is Sam Ekwe. When he first played in the FMC3 he was such a sorry sight then that some mischievous Bedans in the stands joked and cried out for him to be shipped back to Nigeria on the first available flight. ;D Because of his physical abilities and willingness to be trained, he has progressed considerably from what he first showed then.
    There is a saying, "You can't teach height". Sana man lang ma-approximate nya ang skill level ni Marlou Aquino o gumaling pa sya kaysa kay EJ Feihl (ga-piso lang ang taas ng talon, pisong nakatumba...hehehe)
    GREEN ARCHERS FOREVER!

LSGH GS'84 HS'88

Slaughter = 6'11"
    Servinio = 5'9"

Slaughter mania resumes

UV takes on CIT; SWU battles USPF

By Jonas Panerio
    Cebu Daily News
    Last updated 03:34pm (Mla time) 08/08/2007

Last Saturday's much-ballyhooed debut of 6-foot-11 Fil-Am Gregory Slaughter gave fans a glimpse of what tomorrow may bring.

On Wednesday, Part 2 of the Gregory Slaughter-experiment highlights an exciting CESAFI twinbill when the mighty University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers take on the Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT) Wildcats in the seniors division action at the New Cebu Coliseum.

Slaughter, the six-time defending champions' prized find from the USA, thrilled the jampacked crowd at the Cebu Coliseum despite the scant playing time he was afforded by UV head coach Elmer "Boy" Cabahug against the University of Cebu Webmasters.

In that game, while the gigantic center looked sluggish and nervous at times against the swarming Webmasters, Slaughter managed to punctuate his entry into Cesafi lore with a powerful two-handed slam in the second period which drew "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd, players and coaches alike.

All eyes will unmistakably be on Slaughter once again on Wednesday, when UV battles a wounded Wildcat squad that lost to last year's finalist, the University of San Carlos Warriors, 89-76, last Sunday.

Aside from the 6-foot-11 behemoth, the Wildcats of head coach Alex Dela Torre must also contend with UV's powerhouse roster that includes another big rookie Mike Luga and lefty hotshot, Harlou Villanil, who combined for 44 points against UC. The Lancers will also have 6-foot-7 beanpoles Rino Berame and Ariel Mepaña along with prolific guards Von Lañete and Ritchum Dennison.

The Wildcats will be countering with arguably, the league's most talented scorer in Sherwin Abobo, who tallied 21 markers in their loss to USC.

Meanwhile, the Southwestern University Cobras and the University of Southern Philippines Foundation clash in the main game at 6:30 pm in their season debut.

Both teams will be fielding relatively new lineups after overhauling their rosters in the off-season. USP-F will still have deadly shooter Moncrief Rogado and point guard Henry Mancera along with a host of rookies while SWU will be bringing back six players from its lineup from the Partner's Cup, led by Chris Litorja, Mariano Canonigo and Eric Zanoria.
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Based on the team standings, all the first 4 teams (including the game this evening) that the UV will be facing are "weak" teams: Univ. of Cebu, Cebu Inst. Of Tech., Don Bosco Tech. Center & Univ. of Southern Phils. have zero (0) wins thus far in 2-3 games.

It seems the top teams, aside from Univ. of Visayas, are Southwestern Univ., & Univ. of San Carlos. Both these teams also sport zero losses in 2-3 games. I think these are the games to watch out to see how good GS really is right now.
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio
    Quote Originally Posted by pachador
    anthony,

so whats the latest on his height? is it 6'10" or 6'11" ?
    * * *Putting it conservatively, at least 6'10".* Check this out >>> http://www.friendster.com/greg0ri0
    slaughter should have a haircut, skinhead that is, to see what's the real height when standing. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio

Slaughter = 6'11"
    Servinio = 5'9"
    Taob si Slaughter kung papogian at sex appeal ang laban. ;D
    "I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland. And I won't stop until I get it." - LeBron James

The very next NBA season Lebron changed uniform..... Bading!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast