twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino-American cager 6'11" Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter wreaking havoc

Share/Bookmark

Re: Filipino-American cager 6'11" Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter wreaking havoc

anthony,

may goodness, yung batang ito pinagkakaguluhan sa lahat ng basketbol forums ---doon sa pacman, pinoyexchange, interbasket, pba.ph, grabe !! I have been trying to calm them down* ;D look what you have done with your giant news. its been an earthshaking event*

anthony,

I clicked on gregorios freindster link you gave pero walang lumabas e. exacto ba ang url?
    salamat

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio
    Quote Originally Posted by pachador
    * * *Putting it conservatively, at least 6'10".* Check this out >>> http://www.friendster.com/greg0ri0

I also hope Salsa is wrong about this kid and he turns out much better than James Walkvist.

Now to once again make like the "Imperial Manila" guy: If this kid really wants to grow, improve and develop as a baller then he should try to find his way to Manila. I think no one would dispute that the best coaches, facilities and opportunities for overall and total basketball development are all in the Metro.

I get to speak to guys like Roger Yap, Dondon Hontiveros and even Neil Raneses from time to time and they all agree that they developed their overall games here in Manila under the Manila-based teams and coaches. That's quite a mouthful considering the calibre of those players.

Greg Slaughter should seriously consider coming to the Metro, maybe even skipping college ball altogether and going straight to the PBL, like say with Harbour Centre or Cebuana Lhuillier.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

‘UV is my choice’ Fil-Am giant Gregory Slaughter really wants to be a Green Lancer

By Emmanuel B. Villaruel

Thursday, June 7, 2007 Freeman newspaper from Ponso @ pex

Fil-Am goliath Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter said it is really his desire to play for the multi-titled University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers and not for any other school here or in Manila.

This is Slaughter’s response to a report by another local daily insinuating that the 6-foot-11, 250-plus pound giant was ‘stolen’ by UV from the University of Cebu (UC).

Slaughter, whose mother Emma Fuentes is from Brgy. Basak, Cebu City, admitted having joined the practice of the UC Webmasters and even posed for photograph with UC owner Atty. Augusto W. Go, but clarified that he made no commitment with UC at that time.

“I haven’t made a decision nor made any commitment (with UC) at that time,” said Slaughter in an interview with The Freeman yesterday during only his second practice session with the Green Lancers at the UV Gym.

“I really want to play for UV because they’re the strongest team in Cebu. They won six straight championships in the local league (CESAFI) and that’s an amazing feat. Hopefully it will continue when I join the team,” added the 19-year-old skyscraper from Virginia, USA.

As of yesterday, Gregory has not yet struck a formal deal with UV, but said it’s a hundred percent sure he’s joining the Green Lancers’ fold.

“There are still a few things that need to be worked out, but it’s safe to say now that I’m going to play for UV,” confirmed Slaughter, whose bunch of NBA idols include Yao Ming, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

Slaughter said he still has a lot to improve on his skills, but he will try his best to be a worthy addition to the UV team.

“I still have to work things out, but one thing I can described of myself as a player is that I can play team game,” said Slaughter.

As if an ominous warning to UV’s CESAFI rivals, Slaughter dazzled a small throng of spectators who watched the UV practice with a variation of two-handed slam and reverse dunks.

Slaughter was accompanied by his uncle Benito Fuentes, who played for the UV Green Lancers in the 1981 season of the Cebu Amateur Athletic Association (CAAA), which is now the CESAFI.

“UV is really our choice. It’s only that I failed to contact coach Boy Cabahug immediately, said Fuentes, who revealed it was Jinging Rama who spotted his nephew and invited him to join the practice. “We only allowed Gregory to join the UC practice out of respect.”

Coach Boy Cabahug, for his part, is very proud that a Fil-Am cager will don the UV jersey for the first time.

“I’m happy that for the first time, UV has a Fil-Am player in its team. Our first step is to develop him as a complete player. Hopefully, he can help us in our bid to win the National Inter-Collegiate this year,” said Cabahug.

Cabahug denied rumors that UV will be shelling out a 25,000 monthly allowance for Slaughter, but admitted they tendered him an offer he could not refuse.

“It’s not all monetary offer. One thing for sure is that UV will be there to help him fulfill his goals after his playing years with us are over,” assured Cabahug.

UV Lancers acquire 6-foot-11 Fil-Am

Cebu Daily News
    Last updated 01:31pm (Mla time) 06/07/2007

CEBU, Philippines--Already near unbeatable with their formidable roster of current local collegiate stars, the mighty University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers, the six-time defending champions, hope to become totally invincible in the upcoming season of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (CESAFI) basketball tournament with the addition of 6-foot-11 Fil-American behemoth Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter into their fold.

The giant from the state of Virginia, USA formally committed to UV yesterday at their practice session as he announced that he will enroll at the school today.

Slaughter was endorsed by his uncle, Benito Fuentes, a former Green Lancer in the 80s.

Former PBA great and UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug, said that they really weren't trying to outbid their chief rival, the University of Cebu for Slaughter's services. They merely sat down with the 19-year old pivot and laid their cards out on the table and then, let him make the decision.

“Gistoryahan ra namo siya about the privileges that we are offering. We spoke about the allowance which was dili sad dako, pero dili sad gamay. It's enough especially for someone nga dili taga-diri. It's was up to him na to decide,” said Cabahug. “All we can say is that history speaks for itself. Our track record speaks for itself. If he wants to have a better future, off and especially on the basketball court, then UV is the place,” added Cabahug.

Cabahug also said that while he was impressed with the young center's raw abilities, there was still much to improve on. “He can shoot, he can drive to the basket and he can post up. There are a lot of things that he can do but there are also a lot of things that he needs to improve on,” said Cabahug.

Slaughter’s addition to the Green Lancers will give a roster chockfull of agile big men more ceiling and firepower. They are exp ected to dominate opposing frontlines in the upcoming Cesafi season which opens in July. These include the comebacking Ariel Mepana, who is back after missing all of last season due to an ACL injury, 6-foot-7 Rino Berame, Ed Arda, Mike Luga and rookie Gilbert Lao.

UV already boasts of the league's tallest line-up with an average height of 6'3”.

Correspondent Jonas Panerio

Quote Originally Posted by pachador
    Slaughter’s addition to the Green Lancers will give a roster chockfull of agile big men more ceiling and firepower. They are exp ected to dominate opposing frontlines in the upcoming Cesafi season which opens in July. These include the comebacking Ariel Mepana, who is back after missing all of last season due to an ACL injury, 6-foot-7 Rino Berame, Ed Arda, Mike Luga and rookie Gilbert Lao.

UV already boasts of the league's tallest line-up with an average height of 6'3”.
    What? I thought this guy was already playing for Welcoat? ;D
    Brokensauce. Coming soon to a club near you.

I don't think the added ceiling to the line-up of the Lancers boosts their chances of winning a Nat'l title, either the Nat'l Inter-Collegiate or CCL.

The biggest drawback for UV is, for about 50 weeks every year, they play against teams w/c are patently inferior. Then bigla na lang nila makakatapat ang NCAA and UAAP teams. Where teams don't actually give up anything in height or heft.

The big men of UV can assert their advanatge over smaller opponents. Pero pag nabantayan ng kasing-tangkad or mas matangkad ng kaunti, parang nabubulaga na! Those big men were hardly a presence the last time they played in Manila.

Whatever talent or qualities the team has must be complemented by very good competition in their home league. Otherwise, hanggang diyan lang sila sa bakuran nila.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

I would have been nice to see this guy bang bodies with Jervy Cruz, Sam Ekwe, Soc Rivera, Rabe Al-Hussaini, Brian Ilad, Rico Maierhoffer and other talented big men.

The training may be the same in Cebu, unfortunately, the competition won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider
    I would have been nice to see this guy bang bodies with Jervy Cruz, Sam Ekwe, Soc Rivera, Rabe Al-Hussaini, Brian Ilad, Rico Maierhoffer and other talented big men.

The training may be the same in Cebu, unfortunately, the competition won't be.
    Amen to that.

I recall Asi Taulava, then newly arrived in these Islands, at all of 6-foot-10 and 265 pounds lording it all over the Vis-Min scene during a tournament there. Then he got to the PBL and ran into a relatively smaller 6-foot-6 and 225 pound Eric Menk and Menk totally outplayed him. Asi only got better when he matured over the years in the PBA, where he actually needed about two full seasons to get past the tough post defense of the likes of Dennis Espino and the supposedly softcore Danny Ildefonso.

Recently there was all this fuss over Sam Eman, another player with superior size (6-foot-10 235 pounds) who made mincemeat of Vis-Min competition but looks lost and confused in the PBL playing against the likes of Ken Bono, Doug Kramer, Joe Devance, Beau Belga and Al Magpayo.

So for Greg Slaughter: your hoops future is in the Big City, homeboy. Get thee hence young man!
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

June 10, 2007
    UV’s Fil-Am eyed for RP Team
    By Marian C. Baring
    Sun.Star Staff Reporter

GREGORY Fuentes-Slaughter transformed from being a sensation to a phenomenon as he has now attracted the attention of Manila.

After two Cebu schools got into a brief tug-of-war for the 6-foot-11’s services, it’s the turn of newly-installed BAP-SBP secretary general Patrick Gregorio to “want” him.

“I can’t wait to meet the very promising player and I can’t wait to see him play. I have heard so much about him,” said Patrick Gregorio, who will fly in this Monday.

Gregorio wants the Fil-Am, who is yet to play his first game in Cebu, strut his wares for the national team.

Slaughter, a 19-year-old Filipino-American, is the new recruit of the University of the Visayas. He first made waves after UV and the University of Cebu got at odds with each other in an attempt to get him to play for their teams. He eventually ended up in the folds of UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug.

Gregorio, who will be in Cebu primarily to meet with the Visayas stakeholders of Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (Bap-SBP), will be dropping by the UV gym to see Slaughter practice.

“I really want to help develop the basketball program not only in the national level but also in the regions. And Cebu has my bias. After all, I stayed there for six years,” said Gregorio, who is the founder of Cebu Visitors and Convention Bureau.

Gregorio wants to invite Slaughter to the nationwide tryouts, aimed at forming a pool for the Sea Games.

Other than Slaughter, there are 20 others set to be invited to the tryout, including former UV Green Lancer JR Quiñahan. The tryouts will also be held in Cebu from June 14-18.

Meanwhile, the stakeholders’ meeting will be on Tuesday at Yayoy’s Grill. It will be joined by other members from the entire Visayas region.

The meeting will tackle the launching of BAP-SBP during the MVBA finals later this month.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast