twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: STI BASKETBALL

Share/Bookmark

STI BASKETBALL

As I write this new topic, I hope that STI Basketball will be known in the future as the best program outside the UAAP and NCAA. STI Basketball is a young program that we hope to further boost as we go nationwide with our grassroots recruitment.

Just last january, Coach Vic Ycasiano and I toured several cities and held tryouts to establish presence and hopefully good relations with other cities, municipalities and in the future schools with sound HS Basketball programs. We hope that this coming school year we can lay down the ground work of what we can call the "STI Machine" that will hopefully discover and develop student athletes.

I have been a long time basketball fanatic and recruitment and managing a team seems to be more enjoyable.

I will be posting here what STI Basketball seeks to do for Philippines Basketball. Feel free to add your thoughts.
    Mhel "the Pogi" Garrido
    The Real Aga Muhlach

Re: STI BASKETBALL

Mhel, maybe you should also hang around the UAAP and NCAA schools, you never know who among their recruits may or may not make their regular lineups. This is not a case of STI scrounging around for crumbs. There are actually some very talented players who for one reason or another just never make it to a UAAP or NCAA lineup, not even a B Team stint. For instance, how the heck did the likes of your Ramon Mabayo and Mike Cabangon ever escape the notice of UAAP and NCAA teams?

You should also communicate regularly with the folks running this site. They have a lot of good players who may never see a UAAP or NCAA lineup, sayang naman. For instance, there was a black kid who was at the practice of Ateneo last night who seems to have arrived way too late to take his admissions tests and enroll. You should give gameface_one a buzz, see if he's got any players out there looking for teams.
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

Thanks Joe,
    For the moment what we are establishing now is our own recruitment process. Remember we have 100 schools nationwide which gives us access to even the other places where UAAP and NCAA teams don't go to. My goal in the next two years is to establish basketball presence in as many STI schools nationwide. That way our own STI schools can recruit and hopefully bring in talents from their province to our Olympian national squad.

Just yesterday, we brought in six guys from Cagayan de Oro. One of them, a 6'4 small forward who is a poor man's Wesley Gonzalez, played for the STI College Cagayan de Oro Team.

Outcasts from the UAAP and NCAA are still welcome but for the moment we want to establish our own and like what I mentioned hopefully we can be known as the best basketball school outside these two leagues.
    Mhel "the Pogi" Garrido
    The Real Aga Muhlach

just my two cents..

While building a national program centered in Manila, why dont STI also look at the possibility of building teams in some places which are hotbeds of talents, say for example Cebu..This way, it will not only benefit STI but also in efect can raise the level of competition outside of Metro Manila..
    Cebu will be a stronger power in basketball very soon...
    Sulong Sri Vijaya!

^ I agree with Thadz on this one. There is too much talent in the provinces and not enough breaks and opportunities for these kids. Sayang naman. They would also get a bonus: STI is arguably the premiere IT school in the country, imagine getting an education that makes you ready for Silicon Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel
    ^ I agree with Thadz on this one. There is too much talent in the provinces and not enough breaks and opportunities for these kids. Sayang naman. They would also get a bonus: STI is arguably the premiere IT school in the country, imagine getting an education that makes you ready for Silicon Valley.
    Silicon Valley? Why not put up a league, The Silicon Valley Conference.
    The member schools could be Systems Technology Institute, AMA Computer University, Asia-Pacific College, East-Asia College, University of Asia and the Pacific and other IT schools.

SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

^ University of Asia and the Pacific is a school for bankers is it not...? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Miguel
    ^ University of Asia and the Pacific is a school for bankers is it not...? ;D
    Yes I agree but It has an excellent IT curriculum. It was then the Center for Research & Communications.
    I almost went there in the early 90s.
    ;D
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

I heard that STI-Calamba will participate in the Nike Summer League.

The past years saw most of the STI schools break ground in different areas. The STI team from Urdaneta Pangasinan took the UCAA title two years ago besting the top universities in that province. ANother notable school is STI CDO which beat Xavier U and lots of schools in CDO. STI CDO has suddenly become a respected basketball school in that area. STI Sta. Rosa won the SLCUA and is joining the Nike Summer League.
    As you can see, we are now reaping the fruits of the efforts we have put in aligning all these basketball programs to the STI College Olympians (the STI National Team).
    We identified certain areas nationwide in which we will try to scout for players and if budget will permit we will bring them here in manila to train them and hopefully develop them into student athletes. We have been to Baguio, La union, Laguna, Ormoc. Davao, and CDO in which we established a presence and hopefully create ties with certain schools who can help us with our recruitment. This year isasama namin ang Iloilo, BAcolod and CEbu na rin. Actually we are not really that keen in looking for prospects in CEbu. KAsi Cebu is like Manila for the people in Vismin. For those who cannot afford to make it to Manila they go to cebu first. Meaning a lot of players who are studying in Cebu are from different vismin areas also, what we want to discover is from where they come from and recruit there even before they reach cebu.

I am actually excited with all these things, lalo na if these players turn out to be PBA athletes in the future. I am praying that it will happen. But for now, laying down the foundation for this to happen is our immediate concern.
    Mhel "the Pogi" Garrido
    The Real Aga Muhlach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast