Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Exporting" Filipino Basketball Skills and Talent

Share/Bookmark

"Exporting" Filipino Basketball Skills and Talent

Ex-RP coach adds to woes of Harbour’s Seaba squad

By Jasmine W. Payo
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 06:17:00 03/26/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines will compete against a familiar figure in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup.

Former national coach Boysie Zamar will call the shots for Malaysia in the Champions Cup, slated April 3 to 7, where the Philippines is defending the title through four-time PBL champion Harbour Centre.

“I have mixed emotions,” said Zamar. “Of course, I’m a Filipino. But this is just a job.”

Zamar said he might tap a Filipino player as a second import of the Malaysian national team, which is already reinforced by 6-foot-4 import Chris Cuete of Cameroon.

“I might get an ex-PBA center,” said Zamar, who also worked in Jakarta in the last two years as head coach of Aspac Putra in the Indonesian Basketball League (IBL).

“Malaysia got me because I’m from the Philippines and I’m familiar with our game. But I can only do so much as a coach.”

Coach Jorge Gallent said the development is another cause for worry for the Harbour five.

“We can’t undermine Coach Boysie’s skills and the preparation they’re doing,” said Gallent.

Yet Zamar believes the Philippines will still dominate the tournament even with Nigerian Sam Ekwe of San Beda College as its only import.

“To be frank, Malaysia will be okay if it finishes No. 2,” said Zamar. “Our goal is very realistic. We just want to qualify in the Champions Cup and try to beat Indonesia and Thailand.”
    www.Gameface.ph: Changing The Face of The Game!

Re: "Exporting" Filipino Basketball Skills and Talent

* * *First, David "Alamat" Zamar was a local legend or "alamat" in Philippine basketball.* Now, he has become a legend in Asian basketball.* Very soon, he will be a worldwide basketball legend!

Sir Anthony, how long has Coach Boyzie been coaching in Malaysia? I was thinking before that he was in Indonesia, not Malaysia. ???

Quote Originally Posted by batangueño
    Sir Anthony, how long has Coach Boyzie been coaching in Malaysia? I was thinking before that he is in Indonesia, not Malaysia. ???
    He has been on the job for almost a month already. The legend that he is, Coach David "Alamat" Zamar can easily turn the Malaysians into instant contenders. The Malaysians in the past have posed problems for the Filipinos and now that they have a legend on their side, the Malaysian problem just got tougher!

Coach Zamar had a two-year deal to coach in Indonesia. The contract lapsed at around the end of 2007.

Thanks for the response, Sir Anthony.

It is really good to know that Filipino basketball talent is being recognized overseas. Coach Boyzie Zamar is definitely one of our basketball exports.

Aside from Coach Boyzie, do we have other foreign-based Filipino basketball coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by batangueño
    Thanks for the response, Sir Anthony.

It is really good to know that Filipino basketball talent is being recognized overseas. Coach Boyzie Zamar is definitely one of our basketball exports.

Aside from Coach Boyzie, do we have other foreign-based Filipino basketball coaches?
    * * *Right now, the only one I know who was specifically recruited and employed to coach a country's national team is Ricky Magallanes who is handling the basketball program in Vietnam.* Coach Magallanes has been on the job since 2005.* He is a former superstar of the University of Saint La Salle varsity in Bacolod City.

* * *Of course, we have a pair of PBA champion coaches in the United States -- Coach Rino Salazar and Coach Perry Ronquillo.* However, their current jobs have almost no relation to basketball.

* * *In the past, the likes of Nat Canson (Indonesia), Bong Ramos (Indonesia), Jimmy Mariano (Oman), Lauro Mumar (India), Tembong Melencio (Kuwait), Bennet Palad (Brunei) and Moying Martelino (Qatar) have leant their basketball expertise to other countries.

As I mentioned in another thread, having coaches and players "exported" to other countries will give both teams a wealth of knowledge. This will strengthen the competition within our immediate area.

One "export" that would be good is trying to penetrate the ABL through the Singapore Slingers. The Singapore Slingers are technically allowed 4 imports instead of the regular 2. So if by some marketing ploy (kasi dami ditong Pinoy sa SG) makapasok ilan sa atin doon, okay yun. (The slingers also need a decent cheering team. :P. May itsura ang cheerleaders nila pero walang .... spirit .... these ladies serve the Singapore Sling as well during games! ) The current GM of the Slingers is the owner of AirAsia.

---
    The ANIMO will prevail.

^ Nicve observations. Especially the cheerleaders

Zamar does his share for country
    Saturday, April 5, 2008
    http://philstar.com

JAKARTA – Unknown to many, coach Boyzie Zamar is helping the country in his own little way.

Zamar may be helping RP’s neighbor nations improve their basketball but he’s paying the country back by luring foreign investments to the country.

“Wherever I am, if there’s the opportunity that I can ask my principals to put business in the Philippines, I’ve been doing that. Right now, I have a boss into palm oil business. He’s considering investing in our country. I’ve been telling him our situation, that he can give job opportunities to poor Filipinos,” said Zamar.

Zamar, a former RP team coach, is now working with the Malaysian Amateur Basketball Association, tapped to draft a master plan for Malaysian basketball. He’s here to call the shots for the Petron team in the SEABA Champions Cup.

Before accepting the job in Malaysia, the former UE Warrior handled a club team in the Indonesian Basketball Association, producing a number of players now playing for the Indon national team.

Chances are Zamar would also accept an offer to be an assistant coach of the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League in Australia. – Nelson Beltran

Quote Originally Posted by amdgc82
    Zamar does his share for country
    Saturday, April 5, 2008
    http://philstar.com

JAKARTA – Unknown to many, coach Boyzie Zamar is helping the country in his own little way.

Zamar may be helping RP’s neighbor nations improve their basketball but he’s paying the country back by luring foreign investments to the country.

“Wherever I am, if there’s the opportunity that I can ask my principals to put business in the Philippines, I’ve been doing that. Right now, I have a boss into palm oil business. He’s considering investing in our country. I’ve been telling him our situation, that he can give job opportunities to poor Filipinos,” said Zamar.

Zamar, a former RP team coach, is now working with the Malaysian Amateur Basketball Association, tapped to draft a master plan for Malaysian basketball. He’s here to call the shots for the Petron team in the SEABA Champions Cup.

Before accepting the job in Malaysia, the former UE Warrior handled a club team in the Indonesian Basketball Association, producing a number of players now playing for the Indon national team.

Chances are Zamar would also accept an offer to be an assistant coach of the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League in Australia. – Nelson Beltran
    ZAMAR FOR PRESIDENT 2010 MOVEMENT!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast