twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: San Sebastian Stags & Staglets

Share/Bookmark

San Sebastian Stags & Staglets

checked out merriam-webster online. there is no such word in the english language as "staglet." be that as it may, we have, since san sebastian joined the NCAA (i believe they are not a founding member, but anyone please correct me on this), referred to their juniors team as the "staglets."

in any event, i was surprised that this fabled squad(s) doesn't have a thread at all here in gameface. kaya, simulan ko na.

maybe some of us can put down in writing here stories great and small about the san sebastian team. i am embarassed to admit that i do not know much about them, and am only aware of them through their contributions to the UAAP (paul lee and eric salamat being the more notable ones). and of course there is their very talented juniors MVP, ryan buenafe. whatever their program is in terms of its philosophy and strategy, it seems quite successful in developing individual talent at both the juniors and seniors levels. but it appears the juniors' program is more successful in developing the team as a single fighting unit because of the number of titles they have won. others may have a different take on this, though.

sana may maidadagdag ang iba nating mga kasama dito tungkol sa makasaysayang koponang ito.
    When a religious scheme is shattered (as Christianity was shattered at the Reformation), it is not merely the vices that are let loose. The vices are, indeed, let loose, and they wander and do damage. But the virtues are let loose also. - G.K.Chesterton, Orthodoxy
    Dominus vobiscum

Re: San Sebastian Stags & Staglets

That SSC-R's Junior team has been winning is a recent, very recent, occurence. It may as well be the destiny of those kids that they were part of the school's 3-peat.

Before the Eric Salamat-Ryan Buenafe-Bringas brothers c'ships, their last and only Juniors title was during the time of Johnedel Cardel in 1983(?). (Note:Anthony Servino made a correction on this point w/c was later also corrected by amdgc82. Read succeeding posts.)

The 3-peat of the the Staglets is meritorious taking into account how Eric Salamat and Paul Lee had made a good account of themselves in the UAAP and of course we know just how good (not yet dominant) Buenafe is.

But "destiny may have also aided this 3-peat". Withount diminishing the luster of those titles, allow me to explain my statement.

The first of the 3 titles was won on the year the Letran Squires forfeited their games due to the "ineligibility" of a player. That season was one of the most exciting Jrs competition in NCAA history. Kontra-pelo sa isa't isa ang SSC-R, Letran at San Beda.

Di manalo ang Staglets over the Squires, Squires can't defeat the Red Cubs (but their second loss was on a buzzer beater 3-pt shot by Victorino), then the Red Cub split their games vs the Staglets (and imo, swerte pa yung panalong iyon ng Red Cubs).

My assessment then was that the Squires, powered by Tagarda and Green (nasaan na kaya itong batang ito?), were the favorites. They were on top of the rankings until the forfeiture of their games.

Salamat/ Buenafe/ Bringas brothers were a much better team than the Hermida/ Principe/and* then underclassman Marcelo. Kaya madali nilang nakuha yung title. But I seriously doubt they would have won over the Squires.

The 2nd of the 3 titles, imo, also had destiny's hand meddling in it rather than pure talents deciding who will be the champion.

Salamat was already in Ateneo, and this was Buenafe's team now. In the elims SSC-R spilt it's games vs contenders Red Cubs and Baby Dolphins led by now Red Lions Pascual and Anacta. In a crucial 2nd round encounter that would have given the Red Cubs twice to beat advantage, the Baby Dolphins won and marched to the finals vs the Staglets.

It was a closely contested Game 1 in the championship- Staglets vs Baby Dolphins. The latter in control for most part of the game. The Recto boys rallied "aided by the San Beda gallery", who were waiting for the start of their own series vs the Espina-Castro-Belga led Dolphins. The Staglets completed their rally and won game 1, and won Game 2 convincingly to score a Back2Back. At the end of Game 1, the Staglets faced the Bedan gallery and raised their hands applauding, an acknowledgement of how another schools support had helped them win that game.

Where was destiny's hand here?

The following summer, the Baby Dolphins lineup was found to have "identity switched players". Overaged players who assumed the names of someone else younger so they can play in the Juniors competition. They had no right to be competing to begin with. The school would eventually be suspended for the following season.

Rightfully, it should have been the Staglets vs Red Cubs in S82. Patas ang laban na ito as shown by their 1-1 matchup in the eliminations. It could have gone either way, offense of Buenafe vs defense of Marcelo. But that title series didn't happen be due to that cheating.

The 3rd title was...... hands down, rightfully belongs to SSC-R. A graduating Buenafe is just too mature for anyone to contain. He was simply dominant!

Can the Staglets make it 4 straight?

Post NCAA tournaments showed the Squires, led by 20+ pt scorer Alas, are back after beating the Staglets in the PSBL. The Red Cubs will always be contenders. LSGH has a new coach (Buti naman, that team is the epitome of an underachiever) and should be as competitive as their grade school, passarelle, psbl, prada and aspirants team and JRU has a good shooting team.

I don't see Bringas leading the team to a 4th title. If Gusi matures fast enough, in tandem with Bringas they may, but still unlikely. Pero, they will remain contenders.

As for the Seniors, the Stags... sa ibang araw naman.

We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

The last dominant Stags team was the one that had Rodney Santos and a then-burgeoning Rommel Adducul, back in the early to mid-1990's. Those teams were like the dominant UST teams of the same period. I cannot recall who the other good players were in those San Sebastian teams.

Oca, were Banjo Calpito, Brix Encarnacion and Ulysses Tanigue on those Santos-Adducul teams?
    FRIENDS LANG KAMI

I think gusi is ready to step-up, he's a speedy guard and has tons of moves for a kid. One thing i noticed is the reserve frontcourt of the staglets. Mamaril and Ramsey these guys are BIG. The former is 6'5" and the latter is 6'4". Mamaril seen limited action last year, but will be ready to contribute if he *lose a couple of Lbs (he is quite soft). Ramsey on the other hand is a solid Forward, But he has to develop more post moves and improve his jumper.

The team That won back to back titles Consisting of Leo Najorda (Red Bull), Nicole Uy, Chris Baluyot, Christian Coronel, Jam Alfad, Pep Moore, Ed legarde, Mike Gonzales, and Paul Reguerra.

Quote Originally Posted by Joescoundrel
    The last dominant Stags team was the one that had Rodney Santos and a then-burgeoning Rommel Adducul, back in the early to mid-1990's. Those teams were like the dominant UST teams of the same period. I cannot recall who the other good players were in those San Sebastian teams.

Oca, were Banjo Calpito, Brix Encarnacion and Ulysses Tanigue on those Santos-Adducul teams?
    That was a 5-year reign! Ang daming nag-abot-abot na players, from the 1st title to the tail end of their suprmemacy. Sa palagay ko, all the players you mentioned were part of that reign. I could be wrong for it is more easy to recall the acknowledged stars of the team.
    We had a head start in this game. At one time we had a glorious 3rd place finish in the World Championship and was the undisputed power in Asia. But the world has learned how to play it. They may not be as good as us,but they have enough smarts to make use of their height. That is enough to beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by oca
    That SSC-R's Junior team has been winning is a recent, very recent, occurence. It may as well be the destiny of those kids that they were part of the school's 3-peat.

Before the Eric Salamat-Ryan Buenafe-Bringas brothers c'ships, their last and only Juniors title was during the time of Johnedel Cardel in 1983(?).
    PRIOR to their current three-year reign, the last NCAA Juniors crown won by San Sebastian was way back in 1976.

Johnedel Cardel spent his high school days at the then Jose Rizal College. He spent his first year college in 1987-1988 at San Sebastian.

The saddest part of SSC-R's championships is that it came at a time when the NCAA was at the low ebb of its existence. Hindi maalala ng common fan yung champion Stags of the mid to late-80's where almost all in their roster became PBA players. Eto yung panahon nila Macaraya, Dela Cruz, Rivera, Hatton, et al and the "baby" in their line-up then was a certain Paul Alvarez. Then, yung panahon ni Adducul, pwedeng sabihing one of the all-time strongest line-up in college history yun. Pero it didn't received the accolade it deserve. Then halos walang nagbabanggit sa huling titles nila in the Najorda era of early 2000.

All because the league itself , during the 80's, hasn't fully recovered from the hooliganism of the late 70s; while in the 90s there was no vision of going beyond the old school sports league. Pagpasok ng year 2000, ito naman ang panahong talagang bumulok pataas ang public awareness sa UAAP, w/c rendered the NCAA as a second class league by perception.

Parang ang nangyari sa conquest ng Stags, it happened when nobody cared about the NCAA. But those were true and real strong teams.

Kaya para mapag-usapan yang "championship years" na iyan, NGAYON dapat bumalik sa NC' finals ang Stags! At the very least, a trip to the finals will highlight those past glories.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio
    Quote Originally Posted by oca

Before the Eric Salamat-Ryan Buenafe-Bringas brothers c'ships, their last and only Juniors title was during the time of Johnedel Cardel in 1983(?).
    * * *PRIOR to their current three-year reign, the last NCAA Juniors crown won by San Sebastian was way back in 1976.

* * *Johnedel Cardel spent his high school days at the then Jose Rizal College.* He spent his first year college in 1987-1988 at San Sebastian.
    If you say so, Anthony. I was writing from recall and maybe the glitch... I wonder who were in that 1976 champion team.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyServinio
    * * *PRIOR to their current three-year reign, the last NCAA Juniors crown won by San Sebastian was way back in 1976.

* * *Johnedel Cardel spent his high school days at the then Jose Rizal College.* He spent his first year college in 1987-1988 at San Sebastian.
    Last title prior to the three titles was in 1986 led by Arnold Adlawan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast