M. LHUILLIER IN FINALS, BIG DEBUT BY MISOR
* * *CEBU CITY – M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala-Cebu City barged into the finals while Holcim MoneyGram-MisOr had a rousing debut as Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA) teams continued to dominate their guest teams on the second day of the 2007 MVBA Christmas League at the New Cebu Coliseum Tuesday night.
* * *In the main game, MisOr used a strong fourth quarter to eliminate Pagadian City, 92-85.* In the opener, M. Lhuillier made short work of Zamboanga City, 112-87, for the first finals seat in the tournament sanctioned by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) and made possible by ML Kwarta Padala, Hotel Fortuna, Nature’s Spring Water, Accel, Reva Sandals, Gameface.Ph, Yayoy’s Grill and Nike Basketball.
* * *With Pagadian threatening with a minute left, 81-83, guard Mark Moreño canned back-to-back baskets to give MisOr a six-point edge with 30 ticks remaining, 87-81.* After a basket by Mark Yee, Ramil Tagupa sank two free throws followed by a three-point play by Randy Sevilla to seal the win, 92-83.* A Yee basket at the buzzer settled the final count.
* * *Pagadian was leading after three periods, 69-65, thanks to the 12-point effort of center Mark Benitez in the third.* MisOr of Gov. Oscar Moreno and Coach Bong Abad used a 12-2 run to begin the fourth quarter behind Moreño, Tagupa and Sevilla to take the lead for good, 77-71.
* * *Rocky Sanchez led MisOr with 20 points while Moreño followed with 15 and Sevilla 13.* Pagadian dropped out of contention with its second straight loss despite the 22 markers of Benitez and 16 from Rick Quilo.
* * *Earlier, M. Lhuillier breezed to its second straight win and a spot in the finals.* The visiting Latinos managed to lead briefly early in the game, 7-2.* From there, it was an all-M. Lhuillier show as Marlon Basco, Bruce Dacia and Ronald Capati took turns at punishing the Latinos and grabbing the lead for good, 11-10.* Jayford Rodriguez then came off the bench to push the Jewelers further on top after the first period, 28-17
* * *Every player fielded by Coach Raul Alcoseba contributed as the lead ballooned further and further.* A triple by Gerry Cavan gave M. Lhuillier its first taste of a 25-point margin halfway through the final quarter, 92-67, a margin they maintained until the final buzzer.
* * *Former College of Saint Benilde Blazers Lou Gatumbato and Capati topped M. Lhuillier with 14 points each.* Cavan added 12 and Dacia 11.* Overall, nine M. Lhuillier players submitted nine points or more.* Orlando Daroya paced the Latinos with 26 followed by Michaelo Mendoza and Lawrence Briones with 14 apiece.
* * *MisOr wil next play opening day winner Arthro Kontra Arthritis-Cebu tonight for the second finals seat, assuring an all-MVBA finale tomorrow at the Coliseum.* The winner will receive 100,000 pesos while the runner-up gets 50,000 pesos.
How They Scored:
* * *M. LHUILLIER-CEBU (112) – Gatumbato 14, Capati 14, Cavan 12, Dacia 11, Rodriguez 10, Basco 9, Aying 9, Caputolan 9, Latonio 9, Enriquez 6, Piodo 6, Padilla 3.
* * *ZAMBOANGA (87) – Daroya 26, Mendoza 14, Briones 14, Ramirez 13, Alvarez 10, Navarro 5, Padrigao 5, Sebastian 0.
* * *Period Scores: 28-17, 50-37, 81-61, 112-87.
* * ** * *HOLCIM MONEYGRAM-MISOR (92) – Sanchez 20, Moreño 15, Sevilla 13, Tagupa 11, Apepe 11, Nailon 11, Concha 6, Briones 5, Numeran 0, Jabagat 0.
* * *PAGADIAN (85) – Benitez 22, Quilo 16, Yee 12, Sierra 9, Saludsod 8, Naron 7, Villaver 5, Sinco 2, Santa Cruz 2, Pamaran 2, Santiago 0.
* * *Period Scores: 25-17, 48-42, 65-69, 92-85.