twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Race For The 2007 PBA Rookie of Year Award

Share/Bookmark

Race For The 2007 PBA Rookie of Year Award

Surprise early stats leaders for the 2007 ROY awards:

* Chico Lanete (Purefoods), not picked in the 2006 PBA Draft, 2007 rookie free agent

* Ronjay Buenafe (Coca-Cola), 12th pick in the 2007 PBA Draft
    "Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

Re: Race For The 2007 PBA Rookie of Year Award

I think Lanete is not eligible for ROY because he joined the draft last year. Technically, is this correct?
    Everything's Eventual

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    I think Lanete is not eligible for ROY because he joined the draft last year. Technically, is this correct?
    Wouldn't a player's candidacy for this particular award begin from the moment he steps on the court to play in an official game for the* first time, irrespective of whether or not he was drafted in prior years and not played (aka rookie free agent)? After all, to simplify matters, to qualify for this award a candidate need only be a first-year player.
    We are not a nation of donkeys, we are a nation of Lions!

I think Chico Lanete should still be eligible for the ROY award, since this is his first year in the PBA.

The thing that mystifies me right now, is how come among the players playing no. 2-3 from the 2007 PBA Draft, Ronjay Buenafe (drafted no. 11) is outplaying all of the other swingmen out there right now, like Ryan Reyes (drafted no. 3) & JC Intal (drafted no. 4).

I mean if you think about it, Ronjay ended up at no. 11 because he has the least credentials among the 2-3 players in the draft. Reyes came from an American school, Intal came from a known UAAP school. Ronjay, on the other hand, came from a non-UAAP/NCAA school (EAC).

I think it has something to w/ age. Not sure of Ronjay's age, but if he around 26 years old already, & older than any of those other guys, then that would partly explain his terrific performance thus far. Because it means he has had more experience playing big games, & it also means he has better maturity than anybody coming into the league.

"Noynoy is Not My President!!!" at Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noynoy-Aquino-is-NOT-MY-PRESIDENT/122596721092454?ref=ts

how about jr aquino? napabilib niya ako.. ang alam ko seldom-used lang siya sa la salle date..

JC Intal's lack of one on one skills is slowly becoming more evident. He managed to score in the UAAP bec of his major size advantage in his position but now in the PBA it is negated already. In iso plays he cannot get past his defender because he cannot drive strong to the hoop not to mention he has a slow first step. Tirang takot, cannot even draw a foul. wala pang outside shot.

has anyone noticed na wala syang puso mag laro? in his young PBA career, i can recall 3 instances na sa harap na niya ang bola, hindi pa kinuha, napunta tuloy sa kalaban.

With his size for a wing player hopefully gets his act together soon to join the race...

Quote Originally Posted by aircanda
    how about jr aquino? napabilib niya ako.. ang alam ko seldom-used lang siya sa la salle date..
    This guy is a big surprise also. He moves well without the ball, & he is a deadshot from the perimeter. So if you get the ball to him at the right time when he's open for his set shot, 'pasok.' That's why he's getting good minutes w/ his team.

Quote Originally Posted by joelex
    JC Intal's lack of one on one skills is slowly becoming more evident.
    I would have to agree on this one. He needs to work on how to overrun his defenders and improve his outside shooting.

Kabaliktaran naman ni Intal ang pinagdadaanan ni Aljamal. When he is on the defensive end, lagi syang naiiwan ng binabantayan nya sa wing. Jamal needs to work on his lateral quickness and sealing both sides agaisnt slash.
    "I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland. And I won't stop until I get it." - LeBron James

The very next NBA season Lebron changed uniform..... Bading!

Buenafe is 23 or 24 years old.. not more than that i believe

how old are the rest of the other positioned 2-3 rookies?

what are the stats on Lanete and Buenafe thus far?

In 3 games up to Oct. 31, 2007:

JC Intal
    -* 17 mpg
    -* 3 ppg
    -* 0/4 (0%) 3-pt. ave.
    -* 4/13 (32%) 2-pt. ave.

Ronjay Buenafe
    -* 31.22 mpg
    -* 13.67 ppg
    -* 5/26 (19.16%) 3-pt. ave.
    -* 7/11 (70%) 2-pt. ave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast