twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheers and Drumbeats

Share/Bookmark

Re: Cheers and Drumbeats

Quote Originally Posted by MonL
    Quote Originally Posted by danny

atenean blooded, tell us more about the Fabilioh? What is it about? Mga "koya" o* elders (nyahahahaahaha ;D) lang namin ang nakarinig nito.*
    Me pinatatamaan yata ang damuhong ito, ah....... :D
    Koya wala kaming pinapatamaan. Curious lang talaga kami.

I find the Indian Yell nice, but quite long, at least for my taste. I agree that the rendition yesterday was quite good. I think it's still the best cheer in the NCAA, though (unless CSB also uses La Salle's Boomakaya cheer).

The reason why I like the Ateneo's cheers is, aside from my obvious bias, is that they're not too long (the longest thing we have, I think, is the Locomotive Yell). In any case the short, quick yells are pretty effective. Best case in point is "One Big Fight," which is usually enough to stun the opposition, since what it makes up for number of syllables, it makes up in volume.
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

posted by boredtoday in b.com. pls click the link

San Beda vs Letran Game Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWqtwTfNvas

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    oh yes, the ARRIBA LETRAN cheer is a classic i remember my grade school days when ateneo was still in the NCAA and the games were held at the loyola center (now the blue eagle gym). the cheers and drumbeats of ARRIBA LETRAN! would resonate well into the prep wing.
    How about the derogatory cheers of the '80's directed at SSC's Bong Alvarez: Al-va-rez, Al-va-rez, p_ _ _ _g _ n_ mo! (2x)

Of course the Baste crowd will quickly shoot back the same cheer directed at Art Ayson.*

Don't you just miss the NCAA of the early '80's? I tagged along with a couple of friends to wach the championships featuirng the Knights and the Stags and it felt like sitting on a keg of gunpowder ready to explode anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebruiser90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cubao
    oh yes, the ARRIBA LETRAN cheer is a classic i remember my grade school days when ateneo was still in the NCAA and the games were held at the loyola center (now the blue eagle gym). the cheers and drumbeats of ARRIBA LETRAN! would resonate well into the prep wing.
    How about the derogatory cheers of the '80's directed at SSC's Bong Alvarez: Al-va-rez, Al-va-rez, p_ _ _ _g _ n_ mo! (2x)

Of course the Baste crowd will quickly shoot back the same cheer directed at Art Ayson.*

Don't you just miss the NCAA of the early '80's? I tagged along with a couple of friends to wach the championships featuirng the Knights and the Stags and it felt like sitting on a keg of gunpowder ready to explode anytime.
    Bluebruiser,
    From what I recall, this is the real rivalry - BASTE and Letran. I was in grade school then and up to HS, they are still in the battlefield. My batchmates sometimes just ride on with Letran in jeering Baste... Addition : Al-va-rez - g_go! Al-va-rez g_go!
    Our fellowship will never cease!
    ANIMO SAN BEDA!

It was quite a rivalry. The stands would be smoke filled from firecrackers going off during game time. Rowdy as the crowd were, I don't really recall any untoward post game incident.

I think the Ateneo de Manila set the bar for halftime performances yesterday. A classy, non-Wowowee performance featuring the loudest cheering squad, the dancing of our cheerdancers, and the best drumline in local college athletics.

That said, I think it's really disappointing that other schools such as UE, FEU, Adamson, etc. resort to copying cheers and drumbeats. This has been extensively discussed here before, with any of those who insisted that there's nothing wrong with ripping off cheers and drumbeats being unable to adequately substantiate their claims without resorting to any half-baked ad hominems.

I do not see how hard it is to create new cheers and drumbeats. Copying cheers and drumbeats speaks of an obvious lack of any real cheering (as opposed to Wowowee-esque halftime dancing) tradition, as well as a glaring deficiency in terms of originality, as well as a bereftness of delicadeza and respect for the (intellectual) property of others.

The BBB, for example, has confronted UE's squad for their terrible rendition of our "Get that Ball" cheer. The Ateneo gallery (even the La Salle gallery, in one Adamson-La Salle game) has reminded Adamson that they copied the "Go Ateneo" drumbeat by cheering accordingly. During halftime, we've also reminded FEU that their Salikadu is an obvious rip-off of both the Ateneo de Manila's Halikinu and La Salle's Rektikano cheers. FEU and UP have both ripped off La Salle's Zama Zipa Zam (although to be fair, both have adapted the cheer's last part, but that still doesn't cut it in my opinion). UE, aside from copying our Get that Ball cheer, has also copied La Salle's "Go Go La Salle" cheer.

As if that's not enough, UE's also copied UST's "Go Uste" drumbeat and choreography. They also unsuccessfully tried to copy our One Big Fight beat yesterday.

Of course, I do not need to elaborate much on how some UAAP cheers and drumbeats have been copied by schools in the NCAA and the other leagues (although the Lion's Roar of San Beda and S-J-L-C Arriba Letran things are supposedly original).

What makes this even more tragic is that these schools which insist on coyping the cheers of schools like the Ateneo de Manila, DLSU, and UST are actually capable of creating cheers and drumbeats which are, in their own right, quite interesting and original. Take for example, FEU's "Denger denger" cheer and "Less Go Tamaraws Less Go," or UE's "E-A-S-T" thing.
    *clap-clapclap-clap-clap-clap-clap* FIGHT!
    The original. The one word that conquers.

----

"We will kill them all."

-- Optimus Prime, referring to Decepticons in Transformers 3

you know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;D

tingnan na lang natin kung sino ang magmumukhang engot pag nagharap ang orig at nangopya. that's the biggest argument why we should never give up on our traditional cheers. if we mothball any of them, you can be sure some other school will "borrow" those cheers and shamelessly make them their own. before we know it, certain vapor-brained students will make manifest their utter ignorance of varsity sports and their history by posting in message boards that they were first with this and that cheers. animo, este, ano 'kamo?
    "Of all the books I read, Facebook is the greatest"
    --sign on a T-shirt I saw on the way to work the other day

ang masama dyan, yung mga ignorante, kapag narinig yung original version natin, ang iisipin pa tayo ang gumagaya.
    BASTA'T SEKSI.... LIBRE (since 1979).

E sa masarap gayahin, bakit ba?
    "Kung ayaw mong masaktan mag-chess ka na lang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast