twitterfacebookgoogle+register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36

Thread: Southwestern University Cobras' Pit

Share/Bookmark
    What a way to start their PCCL campaign...

Southwestern stuns De La Salle in PCCL

By Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBNnews.com

MANILA, Philippines – The Southwestern University (SWU) Cobras overcame a flat start and took charge in overtime to upset the UAAP champions De La Salle Green Archers, 68-58, in their first game of the round-robin Final Four of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) Monday at the Blue Eagle Gym.

SWU guard Mac Tallo, a former Green Archer, spearheaded the Cobras’ charge in overtime on his way to a 13-point, six-rebound, and six-assist performance.

Tallo assisted on the go-ahead basket, a booming triple from Melvin Holper with 2:59 to go in the extension that put SWU ahead 61-56. After two free throws by Thomas Torres put La Salle within striking distance, Tallo again found Holper beyond the arc for another triple.

Tallo also assisted on the dagger, finding team captain Monbert Arong in the corner for a three-pointer that made it 67-58 with 1:17 to go.

La Salle had a chance to cut into the deficit, but Jeron Teng and Almond Vosotros’ close-range attempts were bothered by SWU center Landry Sanjo, who had given the Cobras a tremendous defensive effort all game after struggling to find his touch on offense.

“Ang dami kong sacrifices na ginawa and it paid off,” said Tallo, who played for La Salle for one season before abruptly leaving and returning to his hometown of Cebu. “Nagpapasalamat ako na nakalaban ko ulit sila, at nag-improve din ako.”

The Cobras could not find their mark in the opening quarter, and had several scoring droughts while La Salle leaned on Jason Perkins to take a 16-9 first quarter lead.

But behind a full court press, the Cobras clawed their way back in the game in the second frame, coming to within three points, 23-26, after a lay-up by Arong. La Salle ended the first half strong, however, with Torres getting a lay-up and Robert Bolick making two free throws to put the Archers ahead, 30-23, at the break.

Arong came alive in the third quarter, while the SWU defense held La Salle to only six points in the period. SWU took their first lead of the second half with 6:58 left in the game off a corner three by Holper, and an Arong jumper made it 46-43 with 5:48 left.

La Salle was unable to connect on their field goals, but they were able to cut into the deficit thanks to their free throw shooting.

After freebies by Sanjo put SWU ahead, 52-49, with 1:24 to go, Jason Perkins scored on a lay-up, and Teng split his charities, to tie the contest with just 46 seconds remaining.

Sanjo then missed a potential game-winner for SWU. Vosotros' field goal was short, and Perkins could not convert the putback, sending the game to an extra five minutes.

La Salle kept in step with SWU for the first couple of minutes of overtime, but could not respond when the Cobras began finding their range from beyond the arc.
    ..and fear neither FIRE nor BLOOD!!!

Yayoy urges Cobras to beat Tamaraws or head back to Cebu

By Jonas Panerio

Cebu Daily News

9:00 am | Thursday, December 12th, 2013

Games today (The Arena)

2 p.m. – SWU vs. FEU

4 p.m. – San Beda vs. La Salle

SOUTHWESTERN University head coach Raul “Yayoy” Alcoseba has one simple message for his players which he hopes will sink in on the eve of arguably, their most important game this year.

“Win or go home.”

These are the bare odds that the Cobras find themselves ranged against when they take the floor against the Far Eastern University Tamaraws in the final day of the semifinal round of the 2013 National Collegiate Championship today at the Arena in San Juan City.

The Cobras had a shot at securing a place in the finals series but bungled it with a listless performance that saw them get plastered by the reigning NCAA rulers, the San Beda Red Lions, 49-77 last Tuesday.

Nigerian import Ola Adeogun was the chief catalyst in bringing the Cobras back down to earth as he tallied 22 points and 11 rebounds in a dominant show of force inside the shaded lane.

After stealing the show with impressive performances in their opening game stunner against La Salle, Mark Jayven Tallo, Monbert Arong and Melvin Holper played like mere mortals once again, scoring just two points each after combining for 39 against the Archers.

SWU hopes to regain their winning form today and make it back to the finals for the first time since the University of the Visayas did it back in 2007 when the Lancers lost to Ateneo in the championship game.

Standing opposite them will be an undermanned FEU team that not only lost their vaunted backcourt of UAAP MVP Terrence Romeo and RR Garcia to the pro ranks but will also be missing their star forward, Mark Belo and head coach Nash Racela who are both with the Sinag Pilipinas team that is currently playing in the Southeast Asian Games in Myanmar.

Battling for the other championship slot are San Beda and UAAP champions, La Salle, with that game set for 4 p.m. The Archers bounced back from their 58-68 loss to SWU with an 80-60 rout of FEU the other day.

SWU serves UE a lesson in power, relentlessness
    By Rick Olivares, Unblogged Sports (philstar.com) | Updated May 26, 2014 - 11:38am
    15 73 googleplus1 0

LAPU-LAPU CITY – It was the University of the East’s turn to face all these questions after they were pounded mercilessly all game long by Southwestern University en route to a 80-63 loss that saw them bounced from the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup.

The SWU Cobras answered their own questions about their own resolve after flopping big time in their match against new nemesis La Salle the day before in a 64-59 defeat.

The Cobras won their fifth match in six outings and advanced to the quarterfinals of the premier collegiate summer basketball league because of the following:

Landry Sanjo

The night of SWU’s loss, I had a chat with the Cameroonian. He got so emotionally caught up in the match with La Salle that he forgot to keep his head in the game. His two fouls on Arnold Van Opstal when the Green Archers forged ahead were of the frustration kind. Sanjo said that he’d play his usual smart but power game against UE.

And he set the tone for the game. He relentlessly attacked UE and got Charles Mammie, Chris Javier and Moustapha Arafat in foul trouble.
    Sportshub ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

He was the paragon of power and hustle. Sanjo finished with 34 huge points – best in the tournament so far while grabbing 11 rebounds, dishing off three assists, and chalking up a steal and a block. He had more points that all the UE centers put together.

He was highly active in every quarter, including the fourth when UE chopped the lead down to nine. His three-pointer with 50 seconds left was the coup de grace for SWU.

According to my Cebuano media friends, after SWU lost Ben Mbala to La Salle, everyone has been trying to find their own version of Sanjo, a power player with a incredible work ethic.

Cobras shot the daylights out of the Hoops Dome

Just when UE was trying to figure out a way to stop Sanjo, Jasper Parker kept the defense honest with his outside shooting (6-13). When either Tallo or Parker went to the bench, Anton Pardo came in and blew the Red Warriors away on 7-11 shooting. Daryl Goloran hit his 15-footers.

Collectively, SWU shot 53 percent from the field. A lot of those baskets (even a few from Parker) came from inside the paint. They went back to what got them those first four wins and that was by pounding the rock inside.

The Cobras were able to sustain their level of intensity

SWU took three of the four quarters. And yet there was no drop off in their play even if they gave up the third period that UE took (scoring 20 to the 25 points of the Red Warriors). With the bench of Goloran, Pardo, and Justin Aboude delivering quality minutes, it afforded the starters valuable rest time.

Mac Tallo didn’t shoot too much this time around but he was solid at quarterback as he passed for eight assists (2:1 ration on assists to turnovers) while adding a steal and a block.

What happened to UE?

The saying in the vernacular is, “Naunahan sila ng SWU.” Once SWU got the jump on them for a 12-2 lead in the first period, they never stepped off the gas pedal. UE was unable to impose its style of basketball with their trapping defense.

The trap worked in the third period and a portion of the fourth but the 20-point lead was a little too much to overcome.

The inability of the centers to stop Sanjo was their undoing. The help sagged inside leaving a lot of room for Parker and Pardo to check their gun sights before firing for effect.

When UE tried to get those points back, their own gunners in Bong Galanza and Paul Varilla (both with zero points) fired blanks.

Their only three bright spots were Dan Alberto who scored nine points but was checked in the second half. Chris Javier finally stood up to the taller opposition (it took a near fight with Charles Mammie -- that was eventually resolved -- during the halftime break to set him off). Javier finished with 17 points, eight rebounds, and one assist but gave up a crucial turnover at the height of UE’s rally. Nevertheless, it is hoped that this could be the game where he finally contributes on a regular basis.

The last bright spot for UE was Roi Sumang. What hasn’t been said about this kid who has been playing through injuries (and he had this niggling thigh injury for the past couple of weeks that hurt his explosiveness).

When UE made its comeback, Sumang drove every time and got and-ones on Tallo (twice) as well one each on Goloran and Adam Mohammed.

Losing Gino Jumao-as to two unsportsmanlike fouls hurt UE for there was no other facilitator. Renz Palma tried his best but was whistled for quick fouls rendering him largely ineffective.

When UE chopped the lead down to nine with 2:34 left in the third after Roi scored the second of his and-ones on Tallo, the Red Warriors couldn’t get a break from the referees. Three non-calls for traveling and two over-the-back fouls. While that hurt their momentum, that doesn’t mean they would have won it because for a while, they stopped SWU but were unable to convert because they would turn the ball over or take some bad shot.

It is clearly a painful loss. However, like SWU a day before, this is something they should learn from and serve them in good stead in time for the UAAP.

Jasper Parker's road
    By Rick Olivares (philstar.com) | Updated May 24, 2014 - 1:53pm

MANILA, Philippines – When Jasper Parker leaves the school dorm at Southwestern University, even after four months in Cebu, he still isn’t sure where the roads lead.

“I don’t know where they lead to,” Parker laughs. “But they gotta lead somewhere. I’ll figure it out.”

Cebu isn’t Orange County, California where Parker grew up, “But it isn’t so bad. It takes some getting used to though.”

Parker was originally supposed to head to Manila and play for the Far Eastern University Tamaraws but he took a detour to Cebu where he found a home with SWU. “I guess it’s easier for my transition to the Philippines because my mother’s family is from here.”

Jasper doesn’t speak much Filipino as it was hardly used at home. “I did know ‘salamat’ and a few other words but that’s pretty much it.”

If speaking the vernacular is difficult how much more in Cebuano. “My other teammates – Landry (Sanjo) and Adam (Mohammed) can understand it or even speak some if it so they do the translating for me. But at least in Cebu, they speak English as well so it isn’t much of a problem.”

It is on the court where the 5’10” Parker lets his game speak for himself.

He’s given the SWU Cobras another dimension with his quarterbacking and superb outside shooting drawing comparisons to a young Jimmy Alapag. His addition, along with the sweet shooting Anton Pardo had made up for the loss of Monbert Arong who transferred to FEU and the sidelining of sniper Melvin Holper who has back problems.

“I’ve seen Jimmy play and I am flattered by the comparison,” said Jasper. “But I have still ways to go.”

Growing up in California, Parker was a Los Angeles Lakers fan. He was even happier when Steve Nash joined the Lakers even if he has yet to recapture his form in Phoenix. “I try to incorporate some what Steve does but of course, you have to find your own style and game. But yep, I’m a Steve Nash fan.”

In Cebu, he hoped that he will help the SWU Cobras unseat the University of the Visayas Green Lancers as CESAFI champions. But before that, there’s the matter of the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup. SWU head coach Yayoy Alcoseba has made no bones about winning the pre-season tourney. “Last year was a learning process for us,” said the coach. “This year we want to take even bigger steps. We’d like to win it.”

“The games held here in Cebu are huge not only for us but the other Cebuano teams (University of San Carlos and UV),” explained Parker. “In Manila, it is up to us to adjust to the environment, the game atmosphere, and even the calls. So here it is the other way around.”

It isn’t only his team that needed to adapt, he himself had to adjust to the heat, the environment, and the calls. “In my two games in Manila, I fouled out every time and coach says I need to stay on the floor if I want to help my team,” noted Jasper. “Just reaching in is tough because the referees immediately blow the whistle whether you touch the opposing player or not. It’s something I am not very conscious of.”

He played one year in Irvine Valley College before coming to the Philippines. Prior to that, Parker starred for the Sunny Hills High Lancers in Fullerton, California where he averaged 13.7 points, 4.9 rebounds, 4.6 assists, and 2.3 steals per game.

For the Cobras, Jasper is averaging 9.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 0.5 steals in four matches in the Filoil Cup while logging in 26.5 minutes per outing.

And with SWU at 4-0, they have a good chance of advancing to the knockout stages of the tournament. But they have to win their last two games if they want to realize that ambition.

When speaking of long term ambition, aside from leading SWU to cage glory, Parker hopes to finish and get his degree in SWU then if possible play in the Philippine Basketball Association. “I hope that from here is Cebu, my road leads to the PBA. But we’ll see. I gotta figure that out.”

^^ in short Parker-Arong trade ^^

Cesafi board upholds commissioner's decision allowing SWU's newly-acquired import to play

August 6, 2014, 12:55 pm

Bendly Valdor went scoreless in his first game with the Cobras but is expected to contribute to the team in his next games.

CEBU CITY – The Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. board has upheld the decision of league commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy allowing American import Bendly Valdor to play for Southwestern University this season.

“After careful review, reflection and deliberation, the Cesafi Board has determined that the decision of the Commissioner to allow Bendly Valdor to replace Justin Aboude in the Cesafi 2014 basketball tournament is justified,” the Cesafi board said in a statement issued on Wednesday.

University of San Carlos filed a protest saying Valdor, from Deerfield Beach High School in Florida, should not have been allowed to play because he was included in the SWU lineup long after the screening of athletes.

Valdor was tapped to replace Justin Aboude, who was recently diagnosed with coronary artery disease. The 6-foot-2 wingman was brought in just last week and on Friday was given clearance to play by the Cesafi commissioner’s office.

In a letter sent to all the participating schools last week, Tiukinhoy cited “humanitarian reasons” and the “spirit of sportsmanship” in allowing Valdor to play.

Valdor, who traces his roots to Haiti, is set to see action on Thursday when the Cobras seek their second win of the season, as they face off against the surprising Cebu Institute of Technology-University Wildcats.

CIT-U is riding high on the momentum of their 67-60 victory over the University of the Visayas on Sunday, their first over the Green Lancers in the 14-year history of the league.

Though he went scoreless in his first game against the University of San Carlos, Valdor’s teammates believe it is only a matter of time before Cebuano fans get to see his true potential.

“He’s going to be unstoppable. He flew in just last week and had only a couple of practices before playing against USC. He’s going to be very hard to guard. He’s the best import not just in Cebu but in the country,” boldly said SWU’s Cameroonian import Landry Sanjo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36